Author Topic: Media articles: Tigers thumped, but future rosy, says Hardwick  (Read 9081 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers thumped, but future rosy, says Hardwick
richmondfc.com.au
By Nathan Schmook 7:35 PM Sat 13 March, 2010

---------------------------------------

Richmond             2.3  5.4  11.5  11.7 (73)
Essendon             5.3  12.4  17.7  23.9 (147)

GOALS
Richmond: Roberts 2, Riewoldt 2, Hislop 2, Morton 2, Nason, Nahas, Vickory
Essendon: Monfries 3, Zaharakis 3, Reimers 2, M.Willimas 2,Ryder 2, Gumbleton 2, Winderlich 2, Neagle, Stanton, Hocking, Watson, Dempsey, Welsh, Hille

--------------------------------------------

RICHMOND suffered a 74-point NAB Challenge loss to the Bombers on Saturday, but coach Damien Hardwick believes he has found a group of young players that can turn things around at Punt Road.

The Tigers were seven goals behind at half time and were held goalless in the final quarter as the Bombers ran rampant in the 23.9 (147) to 11.7 (73) win.

Essendon had 14 separate goalkickers, with Angus Monfries and David Zaharakis booting three each. Scott Gumbleton kicked two goals in a promising sign for the club.

Ruckman David Hille and captain Jobe Watson were also standout performers in Morwell as the Bombers prepare to face Geelong at the MCG in round one. 

For the Tigers, who face Carlton in the season opener on March 25, No.3 draft pick Dustin Martin continued a stellar pre-season, while Nathan Foley, Daniel Jackson and Chris Newman were solid contributors. 

"I think we found some players who can take us forward, which is exciting for us,” Hardwick said.

“Dustin Martin was good again and Relton Roberts and Troy Taylor showed something. I thought Ben Nason was very good.

“David Gourdis put his hand up today and looks a likely type, (so) there are some really positive signs there for us.”

In a Jekyll and Hyde performance, the Tigers won an 11-goal third quarter but couldn’t register a major in the finale.

Hardwick said an even performance was what separated the top eight sides from the rest.

“That's what you get with a very young side - there are going to be some good quarters and there are going to be some poor ones,” the coach said.

“The consistency is what makes Essendon a top eight side.

"We think we got some really good things out of the game. There were just a couple of undisciplined things which got them back into the game.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/90535/default.aspx

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Media articles: Tigers thumped, but future rosy, says Hardwick
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 08:26:23 PM »
According to some I am surprised he didn't hang himself. :P

Hardwick is looking at this exactly the right way.
This year is all about finding out who can play (and who can't).

jackstar is back again

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 08:30:35 PM »
CRAP ARTICLE.
Nathan Foley didnt play :whistle

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 08:34:33 PM »
CRAP ARTICLE.

He was still one of our better contributors jack

jackstar is back again

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 08:35:51 PM »
CRAP ARTICLE.

Yes he was when you think of it that way :lol

Tigermonk

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 09:12:07 PM »
CRAP ARTICLE.

Foley lol lmao l must have been at the wrong game fair dinkum these Intrernet Source news writers lol

BTW who was the lovely water carrier Jack, few thirsty lads out there today, Was that a advertisement for the Biggest Loser  :lol :rollin

jackstar is back again

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 09:21:29 PM »
think she was a local, LOL.
Seen her, couldnt miss her

Tigermonk

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 09:33:52 PM »
think she was a local, LOL.
Seen her, couldnt miss her

:rollin

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
New-look Bombers click against Tigers (Age)
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 09:43:01 PM »
New-look Bombers click against Tigers
JARROD WHITTAKER
March 13, 2010 - 8:54PM
AAP

Essendon's new-look attack showed promise as the Bombers cruised to a 74-point win in their AFL practice match against Richmond.

Essendon coach Matthew Knights said the forward strategy had worked reasonably well during their 23.9 (147) to 11.6 (72) thrashing, with 13 different Bombers goalkickers at Morwell in country Victoria.

Following the retirements of Matthew Lloyd and Scott Lucas, a major issue for Essendon this year will be the effectiveness of their forward line.

"It's not always going to be that fluid on each and every given week but I thought when the ball hit the ground they put the pressure on," Knights said.

"That's all you can ask, if they don't get the ball to make sure they put pressure on the opposition.

"I think all of them produced at different times today in different bursts." Angus Monfries and David Zaharakis led the scoring for the Bombers with three goals apiece.

Knights was also relieved that Essendon had come through their last game before round one of the premiership season without any injuries.

"Probably the other thing I thought, we finished the game reasonably strongly in the last quarter which is always pleasing from the coaches point of view," Knights said.

Bombers key forward Scott Gumbleton, who has struggled with injuries, performed well and Knights said he is a certainty for round one.

"Because he's such an honest player he works really hard towards the ball, at times he's going to get bypassed but he worked back and pressed back in and got long balls occasionally," Knights said.

"For me it's all about him getting game time, his first 10 or 12 games it's about him getting used to AFL football again and I think we'll really see him flourish from that point onwards." Essendon led throughout despite a third quarter fightback from Richmond, with Jack Riewoldt kicking two goals in quick succession.

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick singled out youngsters Ben Nason and Dustin Martin as positives for his side.

"I think we've found some players who are going to take us forward which is exciting for us," he said.

Hardwick said his side's intensity lifted in the third quarter before dropping again.

"We had a couple of really bad turnovers that gave some easy goals, a couple of free kicks at the centre bounce that gave away entries inside 50," he said.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/newlook-bombers-click-against-tigers-20100313-q57x.html

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 07:28:02 AM »
from today's Age.....

Richmond paid a heavy price for poor disposal and the Bombers repeatedly hurt it on the costly turnovers.

But coach Damien Hardwick was heartened by the bold showing by youngsters Ben Nason, Dustin Martin again, Troy Taylor and quick-footed rookie forward Relton Roberts.

"I think we found some players who are going to take us forward," he said.

On the skill errors, Hardwick said: "That's what you get with a really young side, there's going to be some good quarters and then some poor ones."

Richmond can elevate two rookies before the start of the season. And, while mature-aged rookie Graham Polak didn't play, David Gourdis showed promise at full-back.

Daryl Couling, president of the Morwell Tigers Football Club which hosted Richmond and Essendon at the Morwell Recreational Reserve, estimated 10,000 people watched their AFL heroes.

"It's fantastic to see two great powerhouses of the game come and play," he said.

The Bombers were given an intimidating welcome at the ground's rooms, which were decked out in the Morwell Tigers' yellow and black.

"I'm a Richmond supporter, so I was glad to see Essendon in those rooms," Mr Couling said.

The colours clearly fired up the Bombers who flogged the Tigers by 75 points.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/scott-gumbletons-locked-in/story-e6frf9jf-1225840470514
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/dons-bush-whack/story-e6frf7kx-1225840418963

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 09:44:48 AM »
CRAP ARTICLE.

Foley lol lmao l must have been at the wrong game fair dinkum these Intrernet Source news writers lol

BTW who was the lovely water carrier Jack, few thirsty lads out there today, Was that a advertisement for the Biggest Loser  :lol :rollin
Paying out on overweight girls, your all class.
Lots of people name their swords......

Tigermonk

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 11:26:48 AM »
CRAP ARTICLE.

Paying out on overweight girls, your all class.

People do not pay top money to go watch elite sports & have someone who is so large struggling to run around with drink bottles on a hot day who has not given thought to physical fitness in thier past. What are they thinking people wont say anything. start at the gym plz
Essendon players were getting drinks 4 to 1 so go figure  :banghead we lost out on refreshing our players also
She was the constant joke for lots of spectators & we dont need that at that level sorry
If you wanna see big girls or guys watch Channel 10 biggest loser a show that dont interest me its revolting to even get that big.
AFL is a promotion of elite physical fitness.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 12:12:48 PM »
hardwick it seems has been struck with the tiger virus where he thinks we can get something out of this group

our team will always be mentally and physically weak

ful stop

they need hypnosis

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 12:33:05 PM »
Everyone take a step back.
Its a practice match and we have a list of kids in the side who have not yet played a game of AFL footy. Two weeks ago when we beat Geelong people were talking of hope despite the fact the cats had a plethera of premiership stars missing.

With a young list we are prone to shockers like yesterday. In 2001-02 the current the St Kilda side was getting flogged week in week out till they turned the tide on field by the end of 2003 and 2004 and they are even less successful as a club with an even worse admin throughout their AFL journey.

In my time of watching footy only once has a no name team of players or babies come good and won the flag the Baby Bombers of 1993. Are we the Baby Bombers? Certainly not. However history has shown in the rebuild is done correctly and there is no deviation from the model that competitiveness will not be too far away.

Unfortunantely until those days of late 2011 or 2012 and with our long recent history of failure many of our fans are consigned that this whole plan is a failure. After 14 changes in our list since rd 22 last year what did people expect. We all knew that we would be in for some awful floggings until then so why when those floggings come are some losing the plot. I have been critical of many regimes before this one but I feel that after 4 pre season matches are we going to judge this regime or blame previous ones to justify the ills of this one. Take a step back people Rome was not built in a day and neither will the RFC list to a competitive and coherent unit.