Author Topic: Cuz and Roberts out  (Read 9932 times)

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Cuz and Roberts out
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 08:27:50 PM »
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 09:47:52 PM »
stereotype unfortunately.
now who was the bloke from Essendon
that was disiciplined for been late for a training session
after been on the boozer.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 10:10:31 PM »

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 02:02:40 AM »
Classy work lads..
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers rest Cousins, suspend rookie (Age)
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 06:15:23 AM »
Tigers rest Cousins, suspend rookie
MARTIN BOULTON
April 2, 2010

BEN Cousins has been ruled out of Richmond's team for Sunday's game against the Western Bulldogs with knee soreness, while mature-age rookie Relton Roberts will also miss the clash after the leadership group handed him a one-game suspension for disciplinary reasons.

Cousins, 31, was on track to play earlier in the week, but again pulled up with soreness in his knee after training yesterday, according to Tigers football operations manager Ross Monaghan.

''We've only got a six-day break after this one going into the [round three] Sydney game and it was highly doubtful whether he'd be able to play in both,'' he said.

''We thought it was best - and he was involved in the decision-making process - to miss this week and hopefully it should only be a one-week injury.''

Monaghan said the injury ''possibly restricted'' Cousins last week against Carlton, but he did not go into the match carrying an injury.

Tigers coach Damien Hardwick admitted he took a risk playing Cousins last week. ''Ben, to his own credit, played OK, not outstanding, and he needed a run because he was probably a game underdone,'' Hardwick said.

''It's probably like [Western Bulldogs veteran] Brad Johnson. When you're 30 years of age and you probably haven't played those pre-season games as much as you'd like, you do look a little bit underdone. If you haven't done the preparation, you're actually going to be in a bit of trouble.

''We took a bit of a risk playing him last week and it probably didn't work to the degree we would like.''

Hardwick admitted Cousins had some personal issues at the end of last year. ''He is the first to admit that pre-Christmas he had a few things on his mind, but from Christmas onwards he has been outstanding.

''He had that illness for a while, so he missed four training sessions, but he has been very good for us.''

Roberts misses the game for an undisclosed misdemeanour. Monaghan told The Age the club suspension followed ''a fairly simple thing, nothing too dramatic'', but declined to say why the 24-year-old was being disciplined.

''As a young player he's got to learn [and] the leadership group made a decision and we fully support the decision.

''A decision will be made [today] whether he plays at all this weekend [in the VFL] or we leave him out and he works on a few other things. At this stage it will only be a one-week suspension.''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tigers-rest-cousins-suspend-rookie-20100401-ri3t.html

RICHMOND ruled out Ben Cousins (knee soreness) for Sunday's clash against the Western Bulldogs, despite coach Damien Hardwick talking up his prospects for the game only hours earlier.

Rookie Relton Roberts won't play after being hit with a club-imposed one-week suspension for a late-night drinking session.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/cousins-injured-relton-suspended/story-e6frf9jf-1225848718533

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 08:19:12 AM »
1 week suspension for his first alcohol related offence (club offence mind you, not public or illegal).  The real test of his character and worth as a potential AFL player will be in what he learns from it.  I'm glad some on here aren't magistrates or judges otherwise you would be looking at execution for your first speeding offence!

jackstar is back again

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 08:40:24 AM »
1 week suspension for his first alcohol related offence (club offence mind you, not public or illegal).  The real test of his character and worth as a potential AFL player will be in what he learns from it.  I'm glad some on here aren't magistrates or judges otherwise you would be looking at execution for your first speeding offence!

You miss the point.
One game off the rookie list and he gets out on the turps.
NOT GOOD

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 08:56:49 AM »

You miss the point.
NOT GOOD

No Jack, I didn't miss the point at all.  It is exactly as I stated it - 1st year player, 1st mistake (at the the very minor end of the scale), so dealt with satisfactorily by the club.  The next move is up to Roberts and that's where the reality of his future prospects lives.

He's not made of wood, so he doesn't float, so he's not a duck, so he shouldn't be burnt.

jackstar is back again

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 09:19:20 AM »

You miss the point.
NOT GOOD

No Jack, I didn't miss the point at all.  It is exactly as I stated it - 1st year player, 1st mistake (at the the very minor end of the scale), so dealt with satisfactorily by the club.  The next move is up to Roberts and that's where the reality of his future prospects lives.

He's not made of wood, so he doesn't float, so he's not a duck, so he shouldn't be burnt.

There are thousands of talented players who would give an ""arm and a leg ''to be given an opportunity to play  AFL Footy.
Give me a break will you.
I looked at photos of him from last year, he would have to be at least 10-15 kilos over weight as well. :banghead.
After one game and he is suspended, not good.
What sort of culture do we want to have at punt rd ???
My previous involvment tells me that the player group was split and didint gell, seems like nothing has changed.
Blame the recruiting of the playes as well as the players
Can tell you this , it isnt the first issue at punt road this year over drink
Players were seen at 6am down the beach earlier this year over an issue with a Calder Cannons player and one of our recuits.  Booze aint a good thing.
The complete list was made to serve the punishment , just not the handfull involved.
They dont learn do they

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 09:37:08 AM »
There are thousands of talented players who would give an ""arm and a leg ''to be given an opportunity to play  AFL Footy.
I looked at photos of him from last year, he would have to be at least 10-15 kilos over weight as well. :banghead.
My previous involvment tells me that the player group was split and didint gell, seems like nothing has changed.
Players were seen at 6am down the beach earlier this year over an issue with a Calder Cannons player and one of our recuits.  Booze aint a good thing.
The complete list was made to serve the punishment , just not the handfull involved.
They dont learn do they

yeah but Jack you have to remember the new regime has been there 6-7 months

To change a culture that has been inbedded for over 25 years is not going to be change in 6-7 minutes.

The Club have handled this well IMHO. Certainly a lot better than some fans are handling it. ;D

He's made a mistake, he has been punished now the ball is in his court and what he does next. As for the beach thing you mention - again another situation handled well by the Club IMHO. Though that was supposed to kept in house but again it was obviosly leaked  :banghead

It is clear they are trying to change things down there. Granted for some it isn't quick enough but for mine the fact they have actually done something rather than sweep it under the carpet shows me the culture is changing

Now if we could only change the culture of the leaks then the world would truely be a better place  :thumbsup

You haven't been involved at the club for what is it over 3-4 years now so I don't think it is fair that you compare how the playing group was back then to how it gells now. The past is the past and all we can deal with now is the present & the future  ....

Just on Roberts he played country footy in 2009 so there is a good chance fitness was not one of the main stays of his footy last year. It is going to take time for him to get fully AFL match condition. Like it or not that is a fact  ;D

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

jackstar is back again

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2010, 09:45:12 AM »
WP, The beach was leaked as you know about it as well, LOL.

jackstar is back again

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2010, 09:55:01 AM »
WP, The beach was leaked as you know about it as well, LOL.

I had leaks from both sides of the fence as well. interesting hey :shh

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2010, 09:56:43 AM »

They dont learn do they

Of course thousands would give an arm and leg to play AFL - I would've too but there was one small issue - I wasn't good enough.  Sport at all levels is littered with players that wasted natural talent while those with limited talent wrung every little bit of achievement they could from that.  Roberts broke a team/club rule and has been dealt with - plain and simple.  He has the ability but time will tell if he has the attitude to learn from his mistake and realise his full potential.  We give ourselves zero chance of getting any benefit from his ability by sacking him now.

You looked at photo's of him from last year and he looks 10-15kgs overweight?  Tell me, do you think he has put any weight on or do you think his fitness has not improved since he was drafted?

What sort of culture do we want at Punt Rd?  A winning culture that tolerates team first if you can go by the statements coming from all those that talk on behalf of the club.  Please point out where any of the reactions to situations you describe above isn't directed or moving towards building that culture.

Ben Cousins, Brendan Fevola, Buddy Franklin, Steve Johnson, Matthew Scarlett, Alan Didak, Heath Shaw, Stephen Milne, Wayne Carey, Daniel Kerr, Leigh Montagna, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.  The league would look a whole different than what it does today if we sacked every player the first time that they made a mistake.

I'll ask you this - if Michael Hurley (who made a much more impactful mistake in his first season) was sacked by Essendon tomorrow would you recruit him?

Or this - should we have recruited Ben Cousins?

Yes Jack, most players do learn but they can't if we sack them at the first mistake.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2010, 09:59:30 AM »
ahh he was probably so stoked at playing his first afl game and at the MCG no less, he had a few too many celebratory drinks.  See how he comes back before we get hysterical hey Jack?
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2010, 11:45:03 AM »
So what's wrong with Cousins?