Author Topic: After Round 2 - the 6 Burning issues  (Read 2402 times)

Gigantor

Re: After Round 2 - the 6 Burning issues
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 05:59:59 PM »
After the game last night I was flicking through the radio stations and heard one commentator(former player i think) say that during the offseason he was in the UK and visited Liverpool football club.Whilst there he was talking with the assistant manager and asked him what does the club do to get players who lack skills up to scratch..He said the manager looked at him like he was from Mars and said if they dont have skill they dont walk through these gates

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 06:10:44 PM »
I'd be trying Gourdis in the ruck tbh.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 06:54:54 PM »
I'd be trying Gourdis in the ruck tbh.

Couldn't be any worse than where we are ATM

Ramps

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 07:01:45 PM »
Id personally be trying dave gourdis at CHB- could become a very decent running CHB option, we need to trade for a ruck at the end of the year or pick up a bash and crash type in the psd which is probably a better option.

Offline Siberian

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 11:33:39 PM »
What about the discipline? frees and 50s are the last thing we need, we got a rough deal but thats nothing new, we are all frustrated!

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 08:09:01 AM »
Hislop is a spud.

King is a spud.

Farmer is a spud.

Simmonds is a spud.

Thomson is a spud.

We largely only have spuds to replace them with.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 08:37:03 AM »
Hislop is a spud.

King is a spud.

Farmer is a spud.

Simmonds is a spud.

Thomson is a spud.

I know this won't be a popular opinion, but I think Hislop is worth persisting with, plenty in front of him to go, he gets to the right places in the forward line and is one of the few on the list who show genuine agression and pressure against his opponent. Does need to work on his kicking, especially for goal. I think this will improve as he drills them beautifully in the warm ups, he just needs composure, which comes from experience.

King - well chances are he's gone at the end of the year, but I'd like to see him play the year out as a tagger. He did have an ankle reconstruction in the offseason so injury affected his 2009, including his disposal. I guess the problem is Jackson needs to go back to the tagging role as his work as a pure midfielder is not good. I think he'd be a great option for tagging someone like Brent Harvey the same way Clint Jones gave him a bath.

Farmer - Gimme a break, the kids in only his 5th game of AFL and playing in a backline under siege from constant turnovers up field.

Simmonds - No argument there, would rather play with 21 players. He's also only a spud now, used to be a very good player and for what he costs us, one of the best pickups this club has made in years.

Thomson - Like Hislop, I think he's worth persisting with, the only alternative is playing Tuck. Had a massively injury affected 2009. Let him play out the season and see how he performs. His inside work and attack on the ball is definitely needed. Would want to show constant improvement as the year goes on though as he's turning 24 at the end of the season.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 09:00:31 AM by Infamy »

jackstar is back again

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 08:55:36 AM »
I actually would persist with Hislop as well.
 :thumbsup

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2010, 09:03:36 AM »
Would also agree.

Hislop is marginally better than last year in this new system, is actually one of the players we have that has a strong body that we are crying out for, he was a gun junior, and he's still just 21 I'm pretty sure.  I am not suggesting we sign him up for a new contract now but I do think we give him 20 more games this year to conclusively find out where he's at.

Thomson also shouldn't be wrote off.  He's a better option than Jackson, can win the hard ball and clearances, has more longevity than Tuck and is a good stop-gap measure for Foley until he is right to go and even then although I know it wouldn't happen given Jackson is in the leadership group give me Thomson/Foley over Foley/Jackson any day given their form so far this year.

Simmonds still has the mind but not the body.  Gone.

King still has no interest in playing AFL.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2010, 09:55:53 AM »
Hislop is a spud.

King is a spud.

Farmer is a spud.

Simmonds is a spud.

Thomson is a spud.

I know this won't be a popular opinion, but I think Hislop is worth persisting with, plenty in front of him to go, he gets to the right places in the forward line and is one of the few on the list who show genuine agression and pressure against his opponent. Does need to work on his kicking, especially for goal. I think this will improve as he drills them beautifully in the warm ups, he just needs composure, which comes from experience.

King - well chances are he's gone at the end of the year, but I'd like to see him play the year out as a tagger. He did have an ankle reconstruction in the offseason so injury affected his 2009, including his disposal. I guess the problem is Jackson needs to go back to the tagging role as his work as a pure midfielder is not good. I think he'd be a great option for tagging someone like Brent Harvey the same way Clint Jones gave him a bath.

Farmer - Gimme a break, the kids in only his 5th game of AFL and playing in a backline under siege from constant turnovers up field.

Simmonds - No argument there, would rather play with 21 players. He's also only a spud now, used to be a very good player and for what he costs us, one of the best pickups this club has made in years.

Thomson - Like Hislop, I think he's worth persisting with, the only alternative is playing Tuck. Had a massively injury affected 2009. Let him play out the season and see how he performs. His inside work and attack on the ball is definitely needed. Would want to show constant improvement as the year goes on though as he's turning 24 at the end of the season.

There's a reason we are 16th. The quality of our playing list in nowhere near good enough.
None of the above players would get a game in any of the other clubs in the competition.
We need better players than these to improve. It's that simple.
Keep turning them over Dimma.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2010, 12:46:01 PM »
Hislop is a spud.

King is a spud.

Farmer is a spud.

Simmonds is a spud.

Thomson is a spud.

There's a reason we are 16th. The quality of our playing list in nowhere near good enough.
None of the above players would get a game in any of the other clubs in the competition.
We need better players than these to improve. It's that simple.
Keep turning them over Dimma.
He will, but you turn over the older players who have no improvement left in them before you get rid of kids who are still yet to reach their prime years. Assess a kid at 22-23 after 50 games of AFL, not 21 year old with a dozen games.