Author Topic: Draft question?  (Read 1293 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Draft question?
« on: April 06, 2010, 12:44:51 PM »
Priority Picks?

We won 5 and a half games last year?

If we win say 4 game sthis year. Do we get a priority pick like Melbourne got Scully and Trengrove or has the draw/Mcmahon kick ruined us...
Go Tigers!

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Draft question?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 01:06:19 PM »
Pretty sure they still haven't decided on there being priority picks this year
It was originally announced that they were on hold, but it may be getting reviewed

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 01:55:54 PM »
Historically would 5 and a half wins last year be too much if we won 4 games this year?
Go Tigers!

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 03:25:55 PM »
it dose not matter what we get in teh next couple of years cause GC17 and GWS will take the first 10 i think? then we would get 11 then 12 or something i dunno .. but im pretty sure were stuffed cause of this unfair system

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 03:46:39 PM »
If we finish bottom the best pick we will get is pick 6 I think.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 03:56:59 PM »
i wonder if the young guns will want 6 or 1 hmmm a chance to be apart of GC or Richmond

tony_montana

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 04:07:35 PM »
if we win less than 4 & 1/2 its still not decided whether we get an extra pick at the end of the first round/beginning of 2nd round, although i have a feeling the priority pick will remain if we're going crap, BUT, if melbourne look as though they're tanking for the 3rd year in a row then I have no doubt the AFL will pull the pin. If we win less than 4.5 this season and again next season we would get 2 picks in the top 6 or whatever it is again IF the AFL decide to keep it going.

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 04:13:21 PM »
well we could offer Tambling for pick 2? and get 4 and 5 ?

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 04:35:01 PM »
Thanks Tony.

So if McMahon missed the shot and we ended up on 4.5 wins. This year we wont come close to that historically we would have gotten 2 picks in the first round.

Give us a break footy gods..
Go Tigers!

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 04:43:37 PM »
it dose not matter what we get in teh next couple of years cause GC17 and GWS will take the first 10 i think? then we would get 11 then 12 or something i dunno .. but im pretty sure were stuffed cause of this unfair system
Not correct
GC17 get Picks 1, 2 & 3 then 16th gets Pick 4, GC17 Pick 5, 15th Pick 6, etc, etc
Gold Coast have also already signed Swallow even though he is still only eligible for this draft, so essentially that uses up one of their first 3 picks.

Ramps

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 04:49:41 PM »
what are we looking for draft wise

Jack Darling at about 191cm seems a terrific player who may fall to 4 because he's a third tall.
Lycett from South Australia is around 202cm ruckman come forward
Sam Day from South Australia about 197cm could be the one for us.

Of course others will also come into the mix.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 06:56:45 PM »
At the moment I'm hoping we get Jack Darling or Sam Day, however who knows what will change between now and November.

I think Darling will go to Gold Coast, however interestingly they haven't offered him a contract already like they did for David Swallow so perhaps they're not sure on him yet. He has one of the best set shots for goal I've seen in a kid. He kicked 14 goals 2 behinds in 5 games of the U18 champs last year and one of those behinds was a quick snap from roving a contest in the pocket near the boundary. He averaged 8.6 Kicks (6th best kicking efficiency in the champs) 4 handballs and 4.8 marks per game. This is from an underage kid who was ineligible for the draft as he turned 17 during the champs.

Sam Day didn't play in the champs last year, but is much taller and an athletic freak. At AIS testing in January as a 17 year old he recorded a 3cm bigger leap than Naitanui's result at 2009 draft camp along with the 2nd best 20m sprint, 2nd best vertical leap and 2nd in the agility test. May also chase a career in the USA playing basketball or baseball.

Would love to have either of these two along with Griffiths up forward for us for the next 10+ years. Chuck in Astbury as a high leading HFF and we'd be looking very dangerous as long as we can actually get the ball in the forward line. If we get Pick 4 then we should be able to get at least one of them, I doubt Gold Coast will take both with their two remaining Top 3 picks.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 07:19:44 PM by Infamy »

tony_montana

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 07:04:31 PM »
Thanks Tony.

So if McMahon missed the shot and we ended up on 4.5 wins. This year we wont come close to that historically we would have gotten 2 picks in the first round.

Give us a break footy gods..

correct, its damn near heartbreaking.  :banghead Think there is no doubt we have to get ourselves another pick in the top 20 this year by trading into it. If karma can turn around and we get pick 4, PP at end of first round and another pick in the first round then that is a good foundation toget ourselves more long term prospects. Then another year of pain next season with a PP early on in thepiece and then we can start to say we are growing our talent pool with bluechip kids.

we can hope..... we're good at that us supporters  :-[

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 09:15:41 PM »
We kept Simmonds on this season to take the body blows while our young rucks develop.
On a different tact i would like se us looking at a more mature ruck via VFL or elswhere, Maybe even sacrifice the "being able to kick" rule to some degree as long as they have a mature body and can get to the contests.  Given time i think Browne and Vickery will make good rucks.