Author Topic: Coburg vs North Ballarat, Sunday April 11  (Read 6414 times)

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Coburg vs North Ballarat, Sunday April 11
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2010, 05:11:10 PM »
Did his ankle?   Did it look serious?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2010, 05:28:55 PM »
Don't know Danog. I didn't ask. WP will be on later.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2010, 05:30:07 PM »
2010 VFL Seniors

Coburg Tigers   6.1  8.4  8.7   11.9 (75)
North Ballarat   3.2  3.6  9.10  12.13 (85)

GOALS:
Coburg Tigers: Carnell 2 Polak 2 Dennis 2 Piuselli  Collins  Taylor  Lucin  Astbury
North Ballarat: Micallef 2 Smith 2 Norris 2 Garlett  Black  Cunnington  Jones  Sharkey  Clifton

BEST:
Coburg Tigers: Clifton Kahlefeldt Dea Hislop Morgan Power
North Ballarat: Cunnington Sewell Delaney Clifton Garlett Moloney

https://reg.sportingpulse.com/olr_v3/rpt_progressive.cgi?aID=8&pg=1&a=MR_

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2010, 05:35:17 PM »
BF report on both ressies and seniors by 'JustTheTonic'.

Foley and Griffiths both played a half in the ressies. Axel had 15 possies. 

http://bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17386882&postcount=81

Gigantor

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2010, 06:36:46 PM »
Was at the game today .
was impressed with coburgs defensive play especially the pressure they put on the man,howver this dropped off in the second half not so much because of poor play by the defence but because our midfield lost its way and was well beaten by Ballarat.
Was impressed by webberley early on ,however as another poster mentioned he dropped off in the secnd half,and thus Coburg missed his drive out of defence.
Taylor was verry quiet most of the game ,except for a lace out pass in the first quater that travelled 40 meters at barely head high.
Of the others Graham was just not in it,His around the ground skill are still way off the mark.But i must admit browne was not much better.
Kingy was like a rabid dog and plays with huge heart and effort..continually gained the pill,and really encouraged his teammates.
Dea looked ok but limped off .
Astbury looks very polished but sat out most of the last quarter with what looked like to my untrained eye some sort of groin strain.
polak was ......meh
collins looked a class above everyone else out there,but just didnt get the pill often enough.
Hislop i just didnt rate at all..sorry...spent a lot of time on the pine.
I must add that the windy conditions out there probably didnt help with skill levels at all..

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2010, 08:45:39 PM »
This was your classic "game of two halves." In the first half Coburg were magnificent: linking up, playing with skill, precision and purpose. When they had posession they moved the ball quick, clean and direct. When Nth Ballarat had it, the Burgers pressured them relentlessly til they coughed it up. At times it was hard to believe they were the back-to-back reigning premiers, because we made them look second rate. We were 6 goals to 3 at qtr time, and I felt they were lucky to even have those 3 against the run of play. We only scored two in a low-scoring 2nd term, but importantly held the Roosters goalless to extend our lead.
Unfortunately,both teams came out completely different sides in the 2nd half and they scored 6 in the third term, while keeping us goalless. We lifted in the last, and had chances to win. But we were killed off by some shocking umpiring decisions at crucial stages. These included a failure to penalize the Roosters for blatantly deliberate out of bounds in our forward line (twice) and a willingness to pay every single little indiscretion to the Roosters players, while ignoring obvious frees to our boys. Very frustrating.
A few random observations:
Polak took a great overhead contested mark in the opening minutes, and goalled. Overall he was good in the air, but as the tide turned, failed to chase and apply enough pressure on the deck. Took a nasty and spiteful head knock in the 3rd and was slow to get up. Kingy remonstrated with the culprit.
Just on Kingy, he was in everything and ran so hard today he was literally spewing at the 3/4 time huddle. He undid his work somewhat by being pinged TWICE for travelling. And giving away a silly 50m goal late in the crucial last qtr.
I have to vehemently disagree with Gigantor's estimation of Troy Taylor as being quiet. He set up a goal to Dennis within seconds of coming on in the first term, followed it up with a great mark in the opposite pocket, but couldn't convert.
Then he took a mark and passed to Polak in the goalsquare, but he made a meal of it and was run down.I think he was surprised to get it.
In the last term when we were pressing for a win, time and again Taylor kept bobbing up and doing these freakish things that didn't QUITE always come off. But I can tell you that he was electrifying the crowd around me. I think he will become a real cult figure and get a game very soon.   

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2010, 08:53:16 PM »
Thompson's ankle - he went down and with the help of the Doctor hopped off in the final qtr. I was down the pool end of the ground so I don't know how serious it looked. But as soon as he went down he signalled to the bench that he needed to get off.

I thought Jake just did some stupid things. That 50m penalty on the final qtr was just so costly.

Andy Collins disappointed me - his disposal at times was woeful. Actually had an opportunity in the fianl qtr with minutes to go to hit Dennis (I think it was Dennis & coburg were 5 points down at the time) ;D) on the chest but instead kicked a floater that ended up putting Dennis against 1 against 2 and that was that - crucial mistake IMHO

On Taylor - all the skills in the world but like so many kids when they come into the system the defensive side of his game is practically no existent. Also, he isn't big on 2nd efforts. In the final qtr he was impressive because he did the defensive stuff and reaped the benefits for it.

Really enjoyed Webberley's game although as I mentioned he faded as he run out of puff. Great drive off the back line

Astbury - very clear why we picked him up. Very good skills and reads the play well. Probably only played just on or just over half a game. Don't expect him to play AFL until he gets more game time under his belt
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2010, 09:06:53 PM »
Thanks for all the reports guys.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2010, 09:14:39 PM »
Thomson got a kick in the shin i think, his ankle is ok.

I believe he is getting x-rays as he was in a bit of pain.

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2010, 09:20:43 PM »
So what's happening with Astbury? Will he miss games? I've been wanting to see him play more than anyone since Nab Round 1. Bloody injury setbacks. He's probably the one player we really need in the team to help out Reiwoldt up forward. Post should move into defence. Would love to see Astbury, Foley and Graham replace Tuck, Simmonds and Moore. I think Tuck, Simmonds and Moore are holding us back a bit. We really need to remove the slow players and get that 3rd tall(Post) into defence. Once this happens I think we'll start clicking and we'll have the right amount of height, skill and speed in all parts of the ground with the right balance of size and talent in defence, midfield and attack. I think we could see from last night than Post isn't really a natural leading forward from stoppages. He looked scared to make a lead once play had stopped but we were kicking forwards. It almost looked like he was not running hard enough. I think he'll feel alot more comfortable in defence and he'll be more at full pace trying to prevent his opponent kicking goals

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2010, 09:24:21 PM »
I thought it was his heel giving him grief again when he went off. That's just a guess though.
He looks a class player.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2010, 10:19:39 PM »
Round 1 Results
coburg website
11/04/2010 21:42

Seniors:

Coburg:                6.1          8.4          8.7          11.9.75

North Ballarat:       3.2          3.6          9.10        12.13.85

Goals:Dennis 2,Carnell 2,Polak 2, Collins,Taylor,Piuselli,Lucin,Astbury

In our last 2 practice matches we have been very slow to start,but today we moved the ball precisely and quickly to kick 6 goals in the first quarter.

Dennis and Polak were key targets early and were hard to match up on for Nth Ballarat.

Matt Dea was solid in defence all day and did a good job on Corey Jones.Justin Kahlefeldt was great on the wing and was especially instrumental in the first half.

Jason Morgan and Dave Gourdis took 14 marks between them deep in defence and it was a typical Nick Carnell game never giving up all day.

Nth Ballarat showed why they have won back to back flags coming out after half time a different team.They stopped our run on play and put us under pressure and capitalised on our turnovers. 

They had a good 3rd qtr and we went in at the last break 9 points down.

Troy Taylor sparked us in the last quarter and was exciting and we got to within 5 points but unfortunately we did not come away with a win.

Best Players:Clifton,Dea,Kahlefeldt,Hislop.

Next week we are back down to Frankston on Sunday 18th April.   

Reserves:

Coburg:                2.7          2.10        4.12        11.20.86

North Ballarat:        2.1          4.2          7.12        12.12.84

Goals:Westhoff 3,Lawton 3,Duhau,Hicks,Cattapan,Contin,Warren. 

This game could have been over at quarter time if we took kicked accurately as we had 18 I50’s in the first quarter.

For the next 2 quarters it was just a hard tussle for both sides and you could sense at 3qtr time that the boys had not given up and it showed with them kicking 7 goals 8 behinds.

Nic Cattapan was instrumental in that comeback with an amazing 12 I50’s for the game and 5 of them in that last quarter.

James Lawton and Nick Westhoff were targets up forward and the North Ballarat defence struggled with their mobility.

Andy Duhau (34 poss) and Pat Contin (29 poss) were once again ball magnets while Daniel Meroli and Dave Fahey were solid in defence.

Nathan Foley showed he has come to hand quickly picking up 17 possessions in half a game and it was obvious he has lost none of his dash.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-118-10471-0-0&sID=56260&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=11788324&sectionID=56260

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2010, 10:27:50 PM »
2 questions for anyone who attended either game:

1.  Kahlefeldt has been listed in Coburg's best a couple of times already - is he a chance for next year on early form?
2.  How did Contin go in the ressies?

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2010, 10:37:11 PM »
I went today but couldn't judge Kahlefeldt yet. I thought he was better 2 weeks ago in the practice match against Frankston.
Contin is a lot stockier than I imagined. I thought he'd be skinny but he isn't. Knows how to get where the ball is.

I was also surprised that Westhoff is not so skinny. He looks a real prospect on today's game.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2010, 10:39:03 PM »
Good news contin and great effort from the boys against last years premiers. Let's hope they can keep it up, we were tipped along with the dolphins for a battle for the spoon.