Author Topic: Tigers have to stand the pain (Herald-Sun)  (Read 2036 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers have to stand the pain (Herald-Sun)
« on: April 10, 2010, 06:28:19 AM »
I couldn't find this on the web so I scanned it in....

Tigers have to stand the pain
By MARK STEVENS
SAT 10 APR 2010, Page 068

AS SURE as there is a premier every year, someone has to finish last.

This year, it's Richmond's turn.

The Tigers tried hard enough against the Bulldogs on Sunday, but their second half was like watching an under-12 team take on the under-16s.

Richmond couldn't get it past the centre. If the Dogs had kicked straight, the margin would have been 100-plus points.

And it won't be the only time the Tigers are forced to push numbers back and spring into damage control this season.

Suddenly, three wins looks a realistic pass mark for new coach Damien Hardwick in his first year.

If Hardwick somehow scrounges out five, he will be a contender for coach of the year honours.

One rival recruiter this week mused that Richmond hasn't even bottomed out yet.

The theory is that Melbourne has found the end of the tunnel and turned back towards the light, but there is still only darkness ahead for the Tigers.

These are desperately tough times, but someone always wins the wooden spoon. When the whack comes you've got to absorb it -- ask St Kilda fans still removing splinters from the 1980s.

That is why it is ridiculous to suggest Richmond deserves special AFL assistance heading into the compromised Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney drafts.

Priority picks based on a win-loss criteria are contentious enough, creating talks of tanking. Why suddenly do we need an discretionary "extraordinary circumstances'' Richmond rule to further compromise the draft?

The AFL is already reviewing Gold Coast compensation rules we had thought were set in stone. The league doesn't need to be perceived as making rules on the run.

Legend Leigh Matthews has good intentions when he suggests uncontracted players at Richmond and Melbourne should be off-limits to the new clubs, but that would be grossly unfair to other clubs. It is not as if the Tigers and Dees haven't had time to prepare.

Talk that the Tigers should be offered priority access to one gun 16-year-old or 17-year-old is also a massive over-reaction.

Only 13 months ago, Kevin Sheedy thought the Tigers could win the flag -- and some believed him after a barnstorming ninth finish in 2008.

It is not as if the Tigers have been trapped in the "bottoming out'' pit forever. The process is only just starting and they need to cop it -- just like Melbourne has.

Finish last this season and Richmond will probably get pick No. 4, even with Gold Coast in the mix.
It is reasonable compensation considering the Tigers already have Dustin Martin (pick No. 3), Tyrone Vickery (No. 8), Trent Cotchin (No. 2), Jack Riewoldt (No. 13), Brett Deledio (No. 1) and Richard Tambling (No. 4) running around.

Add the departed Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls (No. 8 ) to that list and the Tigers have had a fair crack at it.

It should turn if Richmond gets another year or two of reasonably early picks. It has to.

It would be embarrassing if the Tigers put their hands out and asked for AFL charity in the form of special draft assistance.

The best things in life are earned. The club, and its supporters, must take the pain now and revel in the satisfaction when the pendulum swings.

Richmond fans have been so resilient. It is an insult to suggest they will lose hope without draft help.

What's a couple more years? At least the Tigers won a flag in 1980.

Rest assured, supporters of Melbourne, the Western Bulldogs and St Kilda would take that.

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers have to stand the pain (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 08:38:25 AM »
I couldn't find this on the web so I scanned it in....

Tigers have to stand the pain
By MARK STEVENS
SAT 10 APR 2010, Page 068

"The AFL is already reviewing Gold Coast compensation rules we had thought were set in stone. The league doesn't need to be perceived as making rules on the run."

Not like they did in 2007 when they changed the rules to give Carlton the number one pick even though we finished on the bottom

"It is not as if the Tigers have been trapped in the "bottoming out'' pit forever."
That's right.It's only been since 1983 :lol

jackstar is back again

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 10:32:01 AM »
Brisbane and Sydney never seem to bottom out , why ??
Good recruiting thats why

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 10:55:37 AM »
The AFL is a business and theirs one thing a business wants and will always want... MONEY. So if they don help richmond out and the tigers continue to do bad they will lose Vase amounts of members through out the years and the club will eventually have only 13 to 16 thousand members and Richmond football club dose not want that same with the AFL..

Mark is obviously a Carlton supporter  :yep

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 10:59:47 AM »

90% sure he's a Doggies man.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 12:04:07 PM »
I agree hard things are earned but STFU we haven't played finals for 9 years. You talk about having chances, compare that to the Bulldogs who have played in 5 times as many finals series as we have since 1980, that's chances to win a premiership. I'm sick of idiots emphasizing so much on U/18 football, putting these kids on massive pedastools and giving expectations higher than Zeus. I'm sick of hearing how each kid we drafted that didn't make it is the catalyst of why we haven't won a flag since 1980. So much talk about how the media treat Ball, Fevola adnd Cousins but it's just open slather to the likes of young kids that couldn't make it and live their dream.

The draft order and concessions aren't there to turn around clubs to win a premiership in 4-5 years time it's to have an even the competition and get teams off the bottom of the ladder and be more competetive. Not eventually be top 2 in a few years time. Get it right Mark Stevens you over paid flog.
Go Tigers!

Ramps

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 12:55:30 PM »

If we had recruited the players from other AFL clubs that Sydney have recruited you, me and just about every other supporter would be going ape droppings- and you know thats the truth. Its not the players recruited its the environment, the culture, the coaches, over 10 years we had Frawley and Wallace, Sydney had Roos, Sydneys players would walk on hot coals for their coach, our players didnt give a poo.

jackstar is back again

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 01:11:32 PM »

If we had recruited the players from other AFL clubs that Sydney have recruited you, me and just about every other supporter would be going ape droppings- and you know thats the truth. Its not the players recruited its the environment, the culture, the coaches, over 10 years we had Frawley and Wallace, Sydney had Roos, Sydneys players would walk on hot coals for their coach, our players didnt give a poo.

Kent Kingsley, Paul Hudson, Jordon McMahon. arent anywhere near the same league as C.Bolton, R.Shaw, and Davis..
Davis instrumental in winning them a flag as well.
And then there is Barry Hall.

Gigantor

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 01:47:05 PM »
Thanx a million jack...just what I needed on a quiet saturday afternoon.....to be reminded of those superstars that have worn a tigers jumper these past few years..LOL

jackstar is back again

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 01:53:57 PM »

90% sure he's a Doggies man.

100% a doggies man, even worse 100% Terry Wallace fan.
Was having a drink one night with him and told him my thoughts on Terry, went off his headand wanted to "go on with it ""
Problem with Mark is that he has the build of Steve Price. he is about 4ft 11ins. LOL

Gigantor

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 01:58:11 PM »
you're kidding jack.....he really wanted to go on with it and get physical????

jackstar is back again

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 02:13:48 PM »

More verbal, he did have a few drinks though :cheers.
Thought Terry was terrific ::)

Gigantor

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 02:16:49 PM »
thought terry was terrific.....at getting a suntan?

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 03:15:37 PM »

More verbal, he did have a few drinks though :cheers.
Thought Terry was terrific ::)

so does Terry. :lol

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 03:20:39 PM »
can we stop talkin about Terry?