Author Topic: Danny Meyer  (Read 41269 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Danny Meyer
« on: November 21, 2004, 04:53:39 AM »
ON THE FAST TRACK
The Adelaide Advertiser
16nov04

YEARS of professional running have opened the door for brilliant Glenelg teenager Danny Meyer to be a first-round pick at Saturday's AFL national draft.

The classy midfielder/small forward has spent the past five years working on his leg-power with coach Keith Aiston at the Western Districts Running Club.
The result is one of the finest athletes in this year's draft pool - a speed machine who is a certain top-20 selection and who could go as high as No. 10 to Collingwood.

"There's no doubt all the running I've done has paid off," Meyer, 18, said.

"It's helped a lot, not only with my overall leg work (speed) enabling me to get to the footy but also with my balance."

Lightly-framed at 74kg, Meyer's powerful legs were on display at the AFL draft camp where he finished in the top six for the running vertical jump with a leap of 87cm.

"He's a real good athlete, an explosive player who can burst into a game and hurt the opposition in 10 minutes," Glenelg football manager Ken Applegarth said.

"He's got that really quick turn of pace, he's terrific below his knees and because of his strong legs he's a thumping kick."

Meyer, a member of this year's South Australian under-18 team which contested the national championships in Melbourne, competed in last year's under-20 Bay Sheffield 120m sprint as well as several other high profile running races.

While his pace alone excites clubs, his ability to turn a game on its head with some magic reminds some astute judges of Port Adelaide premiership hero Gavin Wanganeen.

"Danny has a bit of Wanganeen about him," SA under-18 coach Darren Trevena said.

"He's got great potential, great evasive skills and he's smart around goal."

Strong overhead and possessing clean hands, Meyer also has a good footy brain - an attribute which is tough to teach.

An Essendon supporter, Meyer has spoken to 14 clubs in the lead-up to the draft, including Adelaide and the Power.

The Bombers, whose first pick is at 14, are his preferred destination.

"I'm a big James Hird and Matthew Lloyd fan so to go to Essendon would be ideal," he said.

"But I've heard the whispers about Collingwood taking me at (No.) 10. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. I'm happy to go anywhere."

Meyer, from great Glenelg breeding ground Sacred Heart College, played just six games (one under-19s and five reserves) for the Tigers this year because of school commitments.

The son of Tigers under-17s coach Steve Meyer, Danny understands there is one facet of his game that does need work - his frame.

"I've got to put on some weight and build up my upper body strength, I know that," he said. "I've already started working on it."

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/footy03/story_page/0,8747,11400205%255E25397,00.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Danny Meyer article from the Adelaide Advertiser
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 09:19:03 AM »
Essenscum supporter - We will have to weed that out of his system pretty quick.  ::)

Fan of Llyod - Does that mean he's also a good diver  :rollin

Ok Thats out of my system - all the best young fella and welcome aboard the tiger xpress  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Danny Meyer article from the Adelaide Advertiser
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 09:25:19 PM »
Terry's a huge wrap for Meyer after seeing so many U18 games. Plays HFF/midfielder. He's on SEN now and said Danny's such a good kick that he probably want Meyer kicking for goal than anyone else on our list even Browny.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Danny Meyer
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 02:19:23 PM »
By Colin Wisbey

Danny Meyer (Glenelg)

183/70 mid-age right foot (dual-sided) HFF.

*STYLE LIKE: Tyson Edwards

*TRADEMARK:

- Screamer.

*SUMMARY ASSESSMENT, RECOMMENDATION:

- 6' marking forward worth early Rnd 2.

- He is not the complete package but is AFL IMHO and has a bit of "X factor". Plays very tall, kicks important goals and has a fair bit of development in him due to playing mainly school footy and trying to play tall but with a slim body size.

- Concentrating on school footy and often playing on a flank has meant he has displayed good form at that level without really being extended. This worries me a bit but I get the impression that, although reserved off-field, he enjoys rising to the occasion on a big stage and that encourages me to be optimistic for AFL level. I think he has more to offer than what he sometimes shows. The U18 Champs gave him a good guide as to where he currently sits, and what ground he needs to make up relative to his peers, when he found himself robbed of the freedom to perform his usual school party tricks.

- Currently lacks weight for the style of game he tries to play. Is slim and will improve a lot once he gains weight/strength.

- He sits at 18 in my rankings. In a typically stronger draft I would have him lower as he has a 5cm reach disadvantage and is somewhat unproven. I kept trying to drop him lower but, in the end, I could not find enough alternatives who had better credentials. Having said that, there are four other SA kids I would take ahead of him. I am rating him more on what I believe he will be capable of, rather than reading too much into his actual form to date. He just hasn't had the grounding that, say, the TAC kids have had.

I likened his style to Tyson Edwards but I think with time he might become the guy that you put your best stopper on. He has the potential to become very damaging - slippery, plays tall and kicks damaging goals..

Ready year 2.

*DISPOSAL:

- Generally a good set kick, especially for goal. I quite rate his kicking but not to the same extent that some others do. Overall he is a good, but not special, kick in general play. Hurt factor could be a bit better.

- Economical kicking action yet good power.

- Genuinely dual-sided.

- Good balance of kicks to feeds. Kicks are predominantly long. His accurate kicks hurt.

- Range seems to be just fractionally more than 50m but he gets the 45-50m consistently. Range is likely to improve once he adds weight and gets more power/strength in his legs and back.

- Dangerous around goals. Good goal sense - set, snap or on the run. Has shown he can kick a "must get" goal.

- Handball accuracy and hurt factor is a mixed bag under great pressure but he has quick hands.

*DECISION-MAKING, SMARTS:

- Generally makes the right decisions. Shows poise, has very good vision, looks for options and thinks quickly.
- Reads the play very well. Reads the ball well and roves the pack/spill well.
- Good traffic management.

*HANDS:

- Is reasonably clean below the knee without being especially reliable. He is arguably cleaner overhead than at ground level. Strangely, he seems to be cleaner off the ground under great pressure than he is when the pressure is a bit less. (Perhaps when he has time to think, he is inclined to spend it before he gets it?)

*OVERHEAD MARKING:

- Loves a mark. Strong overhead for his size. Plays very much taller than his 183cm and can take frequent one-grab screamers, include pack. Took one of the best grabs I saw all year, including AFL games.

- Reliable from the front or behind but is especially effective coming over the top. Good judgement, very good hands, and generally holds his ground OK one on one. Nevertheless, those who have seen him virtually unbeatable in the air at schools level did not see the same aerial dominance once he played at the hugely higher standard of U18 Champs. Only 2 contested marks in 3 games.

- Has a 5cm reach disadvantage compared to the average player of his height and that is logically a big disability for this type of game. It does concern me, of course. If it weren't for that, I'd be more confident about his prospects. However, many of his marks come through his enormous leap, often with arms not even needing to be fully extended. He can take a chest mark shoulder high. I place a lot of weight on reach advantage, especially in a marking player. In the end, the leap versus reach disadvantage equation gave me enough reassurance. The reach is a shame though.

- Any current difficulties seem mainly due to lack of weight/strength. Once he bulks up he is likely to be an outstanding mark for his size. He attacks his marks but can currently be buffeted off the line.

*ATHLETICISM:

- Gives me the impression of being in decent trim but very under-developed and with more potential athleticism than he has shown thus far.

- Biggest athletic attribute, by a mile, is his leap. Terrific, even from a standing start.

- Pace is OK but not special. Running action fair but could get more efficient drive from arms and he is sometimes inclined to be too bent (especially his head) in a short run. Has scope to improve but I can't see him ever being genuinely quick. Definitely has enough pace for AFL but the slippery ones will get away from him on occasions. Building up his quads will help.

- Excellent evasive ability.

- Normal agility is very good but recovery agility is a mixed bag.

- Needs to work a lot on his endurance.

- Is currently light but should finish up with a nice build. Has fairly good natural balance and keeps his feet well when tackled but currently gets pushed off the ball a fair bit when it comes down to a battle of bodies.

*INTENSITY, ETHIC:

- Varies in some areas but overall good.

- Good 2nd efforts.

- Attacks the man. Prolific tackler. Tackles often but not always effectively or with enough physical strength behind the tackle. It is especially in that context that his recovery agility and acceleration can sometimes be found out. i.e. when he charges at a player and the tackle doesn't initially stick. He is likely to be a very effective tackler once he gains strength.

- Runs on.

*CONSISTENCY:

- Fairly consistent game by game and has consistent stats quarter by quarter but plays a bit in bursts. Will get 3 possessions in 3 minutes but maybe none for the next 15.

*AFL VERSATILITY:

- Is ideally suited to HFF or FP. Hasn't shown much inside midfield yet (and he doesn't appear to be "first dibs") but might be a chance, especially an outside role. I doubt he is suited to a defensive role.

*SCI (SCOPE FOR CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT):

- Has given most of his peers a head start, development-wise, by concentrating on school footy so is behind them in terms of learning curve, physical development and experience gained from playing under pressure.

*QUERY:

- Accountability to his own opponent. (No big deal, it's just that I don't have a handle on it)
- Versatility (maybe)?

*SOME STATS:

- Stats summary '04 U18 Champs:
Averaged 13 disposals and 3.3 marks in his 3 games. (Best TD 16).
Kicks to feeds: 23-16 (1.4:1).
Kicks long vs short: 15-3 (5.0:1).
Kicking accuracy: 5/23 ineffective incl 2 clangers.
Handball accuracy: 4/16 ineffective incl 1 clangers.
Total accuracy: 9/39 ineffective incl 3 clangers.
Gets own ball?: 9/39TD were HR. 6 HBG.
S.P. clearances: 4 incl 3 BU incl 1 CBC.
Tackles: 13
Marking: 2 of 10 were contested.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Re: Danny Meyer Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 02:21:35 PM »
Sounds like he just needs to put on a bit of weight.

Compared to Tyson Edwards, I'll take that :thumbsup
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Danny Meyer Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 05:23:47 PM »
Sounds like he just needs to put on a bit of weight.

Compared to Tyson Edwards, I'll take that :thumbsup

Ditto RR. If he turns out to be another Tyson Edwards I'll be very happy  :thumbsup

Pleased to hear Meyer is genuinely dual sided. Hopefully unlike Fiora  :P we can get some muscle onto him in the gym. That's my only concern on Meyer. Him weighing only 70kg. Needs to copy Rainesy's weight program from this year :thumbsup.

Still amazing how much detail Colin Wisbey goes to each year in writing up about these U18 kids :o.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Meyer wins over Wallace
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 02:04:18 AM »
Meyer's hard yards win over boss
07 March 2005 
Herald Sun
Digby Beacham

IT might have been March and more than 1000km from any official AFL ground, but Terry Wallace was a proud Richmond coach on Friday night in Alice Springs.

With captain Nathan Brown icing a corked right thigh for the last quarter, Wallace watched as his unheralded youngsters stood tall to lift the Tigers to a two-point win over a youthful, committed Fremantle line-up.

It continued Richmond's solid pre-season under Wallace, who will fine-tune his build-up to Round 1 with a hit-out against Brisbane at Optus Oval this weekend.

"We have to start to learn how to win a game and, from that aspect of the game, it was really pleasing for us," Wallace said.

"We lost our last 14 games in a row last season and we were 25 points up in our first Wizard Cup game and lost that, so getting them back into a winning experience and winning environment is important.

"It wasn't a real quality game by any stretch of the imagination early, but I thought the guys fought it out pretty well in the end.

"At the start of the year, we said we were going to try and be competitive in every game we played.

"We've played three matches now and won two of them and had the other game where we were in a winning position and lost it."

Shane Tuck and Kelvin Moore were influential as the Tigers mounted a comeback from 19 points down early in the third quarter.

Lightly built teenager Danny Meyer, selected at pick 12 in last year's national draft, also caught the eye.

"You're always looking for some quality players to come through and sometimes you may think they might come from your 27 or 30-year-olds. Then, all of a sudden, you get an 18-year-old," Wallace said.

"I thought Danny Meyer . . . playing down forward was outstanding. When the game needed to be won . . . he ended up standing under a crunch ball where he got thumped by about three or four players.

"There are just those little things you look for.

"I knew he was a player that had natural brilliance in his game, but whether he was physically tough enough to take the rigours . . . he showed he was tonight."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,12462151%255E19771,00.html

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
Re: Meyer wins over Wallace
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 02:10:33 AM »
Great news! Keep it up Danny boy :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 02:58:29 AM »
First time we've seen the name "Danny" and  :thumbsup in the same sentence for a while lol.

The good thing for Meyer is he'll be the only 12th pick in history who doesn't have the slightest bit of pressure or expectation on him. At 70kg he can develop his body and footy in the correct manner. Get him to follow whatever Rainesy did last year to get the weight on.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Young Tiger trio catch Plough’s eye
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 01:17:34 PM »
Young Tiger trio catch Plough’s eye
12:14:50 PM Tue 8 March, 2005
Tony Greenberg

The form of three young, relatively untried players, was a major highlight of last Friday night’s practice match against Fremantle in Alice Springs, from Richmond coach Terry Wallace’s perspective . . .

Wallace was particular impressed with the performances of Kelvin Moore, Shane Morrison and Danny Meyer in the Tigers’ two-point win in the trial game played in warm, wet conditions at Alice Springs’ Traeger Park.

“You’ve got to have an opportunity at some stage in the pre-season of letting the younger boys actually play at the next level up,” Wallace said.

“I think, for us, a one-off chance for quite a few of our young guys to get a crack at it, was really good.

“Danny Meyer was one who I thought had probably dropped off a little bit in performance at reserve-grade level, over a two or three-week period.

“But having been asked to step up to a higher level last Friday night, he actually performed very, very well.

“I was really pleased with his courage . . . To virtually win the game, with about 15-20 seconds to go, he had to stand his ground and get crunched. The fact he was able to hold his ground, and do exactly what was necessary, was great.

“We’ve always known that Danny had the skill, but whether he had the physicality to go with that now, was the question. Well, he certainly answered that on Friday night with his effort . . .

“He played a nice, neat game. It was a low-scoring contest because it was hot and wet. But he was involved in three of the seven goals that we kicked.

“Kelvin Moore, playing mainly as a forward, not only kicked a couple of goals, he also crashed packs and showed that, if needed, he could step up to the mark as well.

“And, then, the other one who I thought was good, was young ‘Morro’ (Shane Morrison). He played very well as an extra defender.

“There were plenty of other cameo roles from other blokes in the side, but those three, in particular, caught my eye last Friday night. They showed us that they could be relied upon if needed at some stage in the season proper . . .”

Wallace added that although the practice match against the Dockers was generally of a low standard, getting a winning feeling among the Tiger playing group was extremely important.

“The supporter base up there for us was really strong, and after the match it was great to watch our players mixing with the fans,” Wallace said.

“The adulation that the players were held in – particularly by the indigenous people up there – was something that will be a lasting memory for a lot of the guys.

“What I said to them after the game was, it feels pretty nice to win and get a bit of that adulation.

“We’ve just got to get to a situation where they’re craving that winning feeling all the time and, hopefully, it becomes part of our regrowth.”

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=189068

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Young Tiger trio catch Plough’s eye
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2005, 01:24:55 PM »
There's some pleasing stuff in that article IMO

“Danny Meyer was one who I thought had probably dropped off a little bit in performance at reserve-grade level, over a two or three-week period.

“But having been asked to step up to a higher level last Friday night, he actually performed very, very well.

“I was really pleased with his courage . . . To virtually win the game, with about 15-20 seconds to go, he had to stand his ground and get crunched. The fact he was able to hold his ground, and do exactly what was necessary, was great.

“We’ve always known that Danny had the skill, but whether he had the physicality to go with that now, was the question. Well, he certainly answered that on Friday night with his effort . . .

“He played a nice, neat game. It was a low-scoring contest because it was hot and wet. But he was involved in three of the seven goals that we kicked.

This is great - knowing that he was prepared to get crunched and didn't flinch - I know I've been crying out for that for yonks :thumbsup

“Kelvin Moore, playing mainly as a forward, not only kicked a couple of goals, he also crashed packs and showed that, if needed, he could step up to the mark as well.

I stil think he needs more bulk but long term I reckon he'll be a key position player for us :thumbsup

“And, then, the other one who I thought was good, was young ‘Morro’ (Shane Morrison). He played very well as an extra defender.

This is to me particularly pleasing - Morro was another one who didn't get a proper go last season. I reckon the arguement could be made the he was made a scape goat for our woeful performances when there were others who should of got dropped before him. Although the young bit had me chuckling ;D

With Schulz out I reckon he is worth a go at CHB - he is a good height and a good size. He it doens't work out then fine - at least it was tried and we wont die wondering

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2005, 07:00:36 PM »

At 24 he's not that young for a footballer Terry  ;).

Agree WP. I hope this weekend we try Morrison as a main defender rather than just an extra defender. Kellaway, Graham and Jackson can do the extra defending roles as well so there's no shortage there. We need someone to hold down CHB if Gas is at full back. Not sure if Jonathon Brown and Bradshaw will play on Saturday but if they are they will provide a real test for our defence compared to the last two practice games.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 07:03:56 PM by mightytiges »

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2005, 07:42:32 PM »
Not sure if Jonathon Brown and Bradshaw will play on Saturday but if they are they will provide a real test for our defence compared to the last two practice games.

I don't think Brown will play. I heard Nigel Lappin on SEN this morning and he and Blinks Watson were discussing how Brown was recovering for knee surgery. From what I could understand he had a clean after last season and has only just started full competitive work.

Bradshaw will play - he played last week against the Bombers on the Gold Coast and kicked a few goals - Morro -v- Bradshaw would be a good match up IMO :thumbsup

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2005, 05:44:36 PM »
Saw Morrison at the first intra club match play at CHB on Richo and really struggled IMO.  He couldn't read the flight of the ball at all and looked very slow and small.  The quicker we fast track a schulz, Archibald, Moore, McGuane etc for CHB the better because Morrison, Kellaway, Gaspar and Graham are not the answer.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2005, 04:43:40 PM »
Saw Morrison at the first intra club match play at CHB on Richo and really struggled IMO.  He couldn't read the flight of the ball at all and looked very slow and small.  The quicker we fast track a schulz, Archibald, Moore, McGuane etc for CHB the better because Morrison, Kellaway, Gaspar and Graham are not the answer.

This is where we are paying for poor recruiting big time and why it will take a few years yet to get our structure right.

Smalls can be brought through in 2 years say but talls need longer to develop and so we're still relying on the old guard. Our talls are either nearing the end off their careers or just starting. There's no middle tier apart from Simmonds and Morrison  :banghead. Ottens of course was in that group as well but Simmonds has replaced him. The talls Spud and even Gieschen should have drafted would be coming through now and replacing the Gas' and Kellaway's and there wouldn't have been the need to draft Graham nor fast-track one of the young blokes as a key position defender.