Author Topic: Wallace to only play kids on merit  (Read 1958 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Wallace to only play kids on merit
« on: November 21, 2004, 09:20:43 PM »
Tigers in no hurry
21 November 2004   
Sunday Herald Sun
By JACKIE EPSTEIN

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace has vowed not to parade his bunch of talented teenagers next season.

Although excited by a stash that includes five picks in the top 20, Wallace said he would only play No. 1 choice Brett Deledio and his cohorts on merit.

"We won't put them on display in Round 1 if they're not ready to go," Wallace said.

"I said from day one that if they're good enough to play, I'll never hold them back and they will play. But they're not trophies and the development of the players is the most important thing.

"We've got an investment here where we're hoping these guys can be 10-year players for the Richmond footy club . . . we're not going to throw them in if they're not ready just because the fans want to see them."

Wallace was beaming yesterday alongside Deledio, No. 4 pick Richard Tambling and No. 12 pick Danny Meyer.

He knows they represent an injection of necessary quality in the midfield for his cellar-dwelling team.

"When we sat back and had a look at it, basically we thought the best two players in the country were both smaller players, both running style players and, as the cards fell, we ended up with both of them," he said.

"To be able to get Richard with selection four and have Brett there as well, it was just an enormous fillip for us, and what it does is just bring some real speed and class back into the footy club.

"We saw ourselves needing some genuine class through the middle of the ground. When you have a look at great sides that have been winning premierships in recent times, in Brisbane and Port Adelaide, they've got magnificent midfields. We just really needed to rejuvenate our midfield, so probably both clubs (Richmond and Hawthorn) got exactly what they were looking for."

Wallace said he had more or less made his mind up two weeks ago about the worth of Deledio.

He paid tribute to the homework done by departing recruiting manager Greg Beck.

When Hawthorn opted for Jarryd Roughead, it paved the way for the Tigers to swoop on Northern Territory star Tambling.

Beck eased the mind of the Deledio family with a late-evening call on Friday.

It was also the final day of Brett's Year 11 schooling, which also helped him sleep peacefully.

"I found out last night what was going to happen, so I was relieved and wasn't quite as anxious when I was sitting out there," Deledio said.

"It's a good feeling, I guess, but I'm the same as these guys here . . . No. 4, No. 12. We're going to the club as the same sort of player, so I'm looking forward to getting the same amount of respect as what they get."

Wayne and Judy Deledio were more nervous about their son's big day.

They left early yesterday for the 2 1/2 drive from Kyabram with other son Matt, 15, and daughter Sheridan, 13.

Deledio Sr, who played one game for Carlton in 1975, said he was up most of the night.

"I was still awake at 2.30am and I think Judy might not have slept at all," he said.

"It's such a relief. He knows the hard work begins now, but it's the first step. He's been looking forward to it.

"We were happy whichever way it went. He just wants to put his abilities to use at any club."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,11447896%255E20322,00.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Wallace to only play kids on merit
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 09:24:55 PM »
"I said from day one that if they're good enough to play, I'll never hold them back and they will play. But they're not trophies and the development of the players is the most important thing.

Yes it is Terry  :) :bow  :bow  :bow
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 09:31:51 PM »
No problem with playing the kids on merit, just as long as he plays the older guys on merit as well.

Ox

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 01:10:11 AM »

LMAOOOOO@Tambling.

He needs to grow about 4 feet going by this picture.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 01:17:43 PM »
LMAO at Tambling on Ch 10 the other day at Casey's mansion when he was smiling and giggling when interviewd.  He seems like an outgoing character who is happy to be at Punt road.  Good to see a "character" at the club.  We've had too many dead beats lately.

LMAO at the bloke interviewing him calling him "Richmond" on 2 occassions.  Tambling just giggled at it.  What an idiot.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 01:31:23 PM »

Yes it is Terry  :) :bow  :bow  :bow

Hell-lay-loo-ya

Since when has footy been so simple?  :help

;D

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 01:33:28 PM »
Couldn't agree more Harry. Tambling is extroverted and bubbly and seems a genuinely nice kid who is rapt to be able to play AFL footy. Laughed when he said that he thought Clinton's place would be good for he and his girlfriend to move in to - personality plus.

Love his confidence, attitude and ambition and think he'll be huge plus for the Tiges. I hope he'll be dragging crowds into the footy for years to come.

Ox

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 02:31:58 PM »
LMAO at Tambling on Ch 10 the other day at Casey's mansion when he was smiling and giggling when interviewd.  He seems like an outgoing character who is happy to be at Punt road.  Good to see a "character" at the club.  We've had too many dead beats lately.

LMAO at the bloke interviewing him calling him "Richmond" on 2 occassions.  Tambling just giggled at it.  What an idiot.

Aint that the truth Harry Hedjob !

for too long we have looked to social nerds like Gaspar,Kellaway,Campbell  etc to set the tone - no wonder we're
as stale as a packet of saladas.

LMAOOO@The senior list being made to look incompetent this year by the likes of our youth.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 07:28:38 PM »
lmfaoooo@the irony of having an article stating that Wallace will only play the kids on merit and showing a photo with Tambling in the head giving position.

Offline Piping Shrike

• Premiership Captain
  • Nothing today
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 08:37:24 PM »
lmfaoooo@the irony of having an article stating that Wallace will only play the kids on merit and showing a photo with Tambling in the head giving position.

Agree - looks like Tambling has a very special pre-season ahead.