Author Topic: Richmond looking at playing games in Hobart [merged]  (Read 15165 times)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Richmond looking at playing games in Hobart [merged]
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2010, 10:36:06 PM »
Yeah I know man, I'm not stupid. Just thought I would mention it for what it's worth.
And for the record I didn't ask the ? a mate did, I don't see the point.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Kangaroos all set for 4 Hobart games (backpagelead)
« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2010, 07:25:50 PM »
North to get 4 Hobart games - 3aw is talking about this now as well. I might add the author is a North fan.

Kangaroos all set for Hobart
backpagelead.com.au
Thursday, 22 July 2010 18:11

The AFL is believed to have given North Melbourne the go-ahead to play four matches in Hobart from next season, giving the league's pauper club a massive financial fillip.

The news could be announced by Kangaroos chairman James Brayshaw as early as tonight (Thursday).

The development, if confirmed, would give the AFL an eight-match presence in the Apple Isle.

It would also be a huge boon for the perenially hard-up Roos who currently lose money on many poor-drawing home games at Etihad Stadium. If the Tasmania move is given the green light by the AFL, the club could expect to make a healthy sum from each of its Hobart appearances.

While Richmond was also bidding for the chance to play two of its home games in Hobart - and Tigers chief executive Brendon Gale is Tasmanian and on the board of AFL Tasmania - it is understood the AFL favoured the Roos' bid because it gave the club the hope of some financial relief.

The AFL felt Richmond, with its large supporter base, could stand on its own two feet in Melbourne and the Hobart move would be of far greater benefit to a smaller club.

Any Hobart matches would be played at Bellerive, home of Cricket Tasmania and venue for the state's Test cricket matches. While the ground can only accommodate about 17,000 spectators, Cricket Tasmania has said there were plans to lift that capacity to about 20,000, the same as Launceston's Aurora Stadium.

Cricket Tasmania said that Bellerive would provide a low-cost stadium for modest crowds.

Hawthorn plays at Aurora Stadium in the north of the state four times a season in a lucrative deal with the Tasmanian government.

http://www.backpagelead.com.au/afl/2001-kangaroos-set-for-hobart-move

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Kangaroos all set for 4 Hobart games (backpagelead)
« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2010, 07:40:26 PM »
While Richmond was also bidding for the chance to play two of its home games in Hobart - and Tigers chief executive Brendon Gale is Tasmanian and on the board of AFL Tasmania - it is understood the AFL favoured the Roos' bid because it gave the club the hope of some financial relief.

The AFL felt Richmond, with its large supporter base, could stand on its own two feet in Melbourne and the Hobart move would be of far greater benefit to a smaller club.
Not that I'm in favour of 4 games in Hobart and I'm happy for us to remain a purely Melbourne club but for the AFL to firstly interfere and decide who plays down there when Gale was daylight ahead of North in discussions with CT and then for the AFL to use the excuse of "financial relief" for North while we have a $4m debt to clear is pathetic. North had their chance for "financial relief" on the Gold Coast and they knocked it back to in their own words to stay and play in Melbourne  ::). They should have only got offer if they relocated. What next for them if and when this fails. Darwin? Cairns? NZ?  :sleep

Mind you in saying all this who knows if this is true given North supporters this time last year were boasting how they poached Hardwick as their coach ahead of Richmond.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2010, 12:50:06 AM »
The news could be announced by Kangaroos chairman James Brayshaw as early as tonight (Thursday).
I don't recall this being mentioned on the Footy Show last night. Perhaps it's more wishful thinking from North supporting journos just as they did with Hardwick this time last year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

tony_montana

« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2010, 06:07:22 PM »
i hope so, i think this is a huge potential windfall and will be a massive loss for us if they give it to the gypsies

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2010, 06:15:44 PM »
North to get 4 Hobart games - 3aw is talking about this now as well. I might add the author is a North fan.

Kangaroos all set for Hobart
backpagelead.com.au
Thursday, 22 July 2010 18:11

The AFL is believed to have given North Melbourne the go-ahead to play four matches in Hobart from next season, giving the league's pauper club a massive financial fillip.

The development, if confirmed, would give the AFL an eight-match presence in the Apple Isle.

It would also be a huge boon for the perenially hard-up Roos who currently lose money on many poor-drawing home games at Etihad Stadium. If the Tasmania move is given the green light by the AFL, the club could expect to make a healthy sum from each of its Hobart appearances.

Any Hobart matches would be played at Bellerive, home of Cricket Tasmania and venue for the state's Test cricket matches. While the ground can only accommodate about 17,000 spectators, Cricket Tasmania has said there were plans to lift that capacity to about 20,000, the same as Launceston's Aurora Stadium.

Cricket Tasmania said that Bellerive would provide a low-cost stadium for modest crowds.

Hawthorn plays at Aurora Stadium in the north of the state four times a season in a lucrative deal with the Tasmanian government.

http://www.backpagelead.com.au/afl/2001-kangaroos-set-for-hobart-move

Crap article that is impossible to believe at this stage of proceedings.  The Tas Govt and Richmond are only in the initial phases of discussion and all parties have acknowledged that we are the front runners at this stage.  It totally lacks credibility that the AFL have made any type of decision (or even had any meaningful discussions) before any studies have been commissioned and completed by any party, and then any proposals been made/accepted.  Any call on this issue is still months away at best with a hell of a lot more consideration by all vested interests yet to come.  Wanker journalism at it's best.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2010, 06:35:17 PM »
If an unprofitable club wants a presence in Tassie and the AFL and Tasmanian govt want a long-term presence in Tassie it is a no-brainer.

FTO!

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2010, 11:13:22 PM »
very true TM. I fully support this move south for a few years till we repay our debt then like someone said previously sell it back to the gypsys and watch them screw it up again, like they do everything.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Roos in likely lead for Hobart (Age)
« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2010, 04:10:15 AM »
Roos in likely lead for Hobart
JON PIERIK
July 24, 2010

NORTH Melbourne last night emerged as the front-runner to play four home matches in Hobart from 2012.

The Kangaroos, Richmond and Melbourne had all expressed interest in shifting matches to Bellerive Oval, but it appears the Kangaroos are now well placed to win the battle, with an announcement expected as early as next week.

Tony Harrison, the chairman of Cricket Tasmania, the governing body which runs the venue, said it was his understanding the Kangaroos had beaten the Tigers as favourites.

''It's a very strong rumour but we haven't heard anything official yet,'' he said yesterday.

''The word is something may be said, and it would have to be said by the AFL, over the weekend or early next week.''

Tasmanian Premier David Bartlett is in the US until early next week and it is unlikely an announcement would be made until he returns.

Harrison said he had even expected Kangaroos chairman James Brayshaw to make an announcement on The Footy Show on Thursday night, although that would have been overshadowed by the interview with sacked Western Bulldog, Jason Akermanis.

A Kangaroos spokesman yesterday denied a deal had been finalised and said he did not expect an announcement, whether successful or not, for possibly another month.

An AFL spokesman last night said no agreement had been made with any club.

Harrison said he was still in discussions with Richmond. Tigers' chief executive Brendon Gale is Tasmanian and sits on the board of AFL Tasmania.

''We are still talking to them. I think they are sending some people over next week to have a look at the ground,'' Harrison said.

Brayshaw this week outlined his intentions in a letter to members on the club's website.

He said Hawthorn's $16.4 million deal over five years with the Tasmanian government to play four home matches in Launceston per season, which is now up for renegotiation, was a model the Kangaroos hoped to emulate.

It is understood the Kangaroos have generated support for the move because it would be a major financial boost for a club whose future in Melbourne is often questioned.

The Kangaroos' membership has fallen by 4.9 per vent to 26,953 this season.

A move south could help bump this figure to the crucial 30,000 mark.

Bellerive has a capacity of 17,000 but Cricket Tasmania says it has plans to lift that to 20,000, the same as Launceston's Aurora Stadium, should it win AFL games.

The Kangaroos have also expressed an interest in developing football in the region, similar to what Hawthorn has done in the north.

It is unclear if the Kangaroos, should they be successful, would enjoy the same level of funding from the Tasmanian government as what the Hawks have been provided with.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/roos-in-likely-lead-for-hobart-20100723-10oxo.html

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2010, 08:38:46 AM »
"We love Ballarat. It is only a one-hour and twenty minute drive and it’s just an hour on the train,” Arocca said

From their website a month ago.

"We went up there to play some games for a variety of reasons, and we decided to stay in Melbourne. Our plans, in the end, revolved around us staying in Victoria" Arocca again on Fox sports june 2008

This club is a joke to its supporters, the AFL and each other.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2010, 08:35:03 PM »
From BF but I heard this as well.....

Caro on 3AW today after midday. She said Benny Gale is heading to Hobart this week to put Richmond's case for 4 home games but she said it was just a front to gain a better deal from the AFL with next year's draw.

Ramps

« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2010, 10:22:10 PM »
Caroline Wilson should shut up

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2010, 10:27:11 PM »
Caroline Wilson should shut up
Agreed, she did enough damage with leaking our gain with moving the StKilda game to the MCG... that then got changed back after her article

Stupid cow

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2010, 10:33:54 PM »
Benny Gale should come out and tell Caro to shut her stuffin mouth and never walk through our doors again, like Clarko did with dermie.
I can guarantee he wont be bagging the Hawks any more in public.

she is a stuffin snake that old botoxed hag and someone needs to tell her to shut the stuff up

was so happy when she had to apologise when her 'sources' were wrong again re: Knighter.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

tony_montana

« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2010, 11:06:05 PM »
well said daniel, that sow should shut her trap and should be banned from punt rd just like shes not welcome at a few clubs