Author Topic: RFC is still 8 players from a flag  (Read 1677 times)

PuntRdRoar

RFC is still 8 players from a flag
« on: November 24, 2004, 07:59:06 PM »
After looking at the list in alot of depth...I thought id try and analyse how far away we are from a flag. And the answer is alot. Probably up to 8 players away. I will split this up in terms of defence, midfielders and Forwards as well as ruckman. In Richmonds next Premiership side...I expect to see the following names

defence: Chris Newman, Jay Schulz,  Brent Hartigan and Joel Bowden

midfielders: Brett Deledio, Mark Coughlan, Danny Meyer, Richard Tambling, Nathan Brown, Dean Polo, Kym Monteath, Daniel Jackson, Tom Roach and Andrew Raines, Kane Johnson

forwards: Alex Gilmour

ruckmen: Adam Pattison, Troy Simmonds

Now I have named 18 players here...I have included the likes of Johnson, Bowden, Brown and Simmonds. If RFC does not win a flag in the next 5 years Richmond wont need 8 but about 12-13 new players. 12-13 players who are not currently at the RFC. Clearly the midfield division shows the most promise...Id expect some to become forwards in a Premiership side, the likes of Meyer and young Kym Monteath as a small forward if we take him next year and if he continues to live up to expectations.

Our big problem as I see it ...is our Premiership side does not have a Spine. We have no recognised Full Back or Centre Half Back or Centre Half Forward or even Full Forward although Schulz and Pattison may fill a void. I have not included Richo because he probably wont last more than 3 years. So the up shot is we need now to go after KPP's.

Next years draft is going to be fine. Some good KPP prospects. Richmond needs to make some hard decisions again. I would even consider putting the likes of Nathan Brown back on the trade table to get an early pick to get a KPP.

Anyway I look forward to your views...

froars

Re: RFC is still 8 players from a flag
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 09:17:46 PM »
IMO we're about 20 players short.  The new players only mean potential at the moment - and by the time we're in that possie again to challenge, Brown and Bowden will be on pensions.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2004, 02:40:08 AM »
It's hard to judge how many players we are away from developing a premiership team because as froars said most of the kids can only be classed now as having that dreaded word "potential" although they are highly talented. Also someone like a Pettifer lol might finally step up. Did you forget about Krakouer RT?

If we're thinking 5 years time, I'd reckon we only have the following who could play a major part in a premiership side atm:

Defence: Newman, Bowden
Midfielders: Cogs, Johnson
Forwards:  Brown
Ruck: Simmonds

The rest are either too young to judge, too old, not up to it or still need to prove themselves (I'm thinking Krakouer and Tivs here). So that's at least 15 players away. If the likes of Deledio, Tambling, Meyer, Pattison, Polo, Schulz, Krakouer, Jackson and Raines do fulfil their potential (no guarantee) then obviously that about halves that number in line with your thinking RT.  As most of these boys are midfielders it then as you said comes down to us scoring KPPs. This is why this draft was so important. For each kid from the past two drafts that goes onto to play say 150-200 games for us, the sooner we can build a successful team. We will still need one more clean out at the end of this year and despite the genuine optimism around at Tigerland which we all feel, I still believe we will finish in the bottom 4 next year which may go a long way to getting these quality KPP we need.

Our big problem as I see it ...is our Premiership side does not have a Spine. We have no recognised Full Back or Centre Half Back or Centre Half Forward or even Full Forward although Schulz and Pattison may fill a void. So the up shot is we need now to go after KPP's.

Of all Spud's failings his inability to draft/recruit talls during his 5 year regime except for Schulz was the most disasterous looking forward from now on :scream. This legacy is shown by the fact that when you look at our list of 190cm+ players they are either nearing the end of the careers (Gas, AK, Stafford, Richo, Graham) or only beginning theirs (Schulz, Moore, Achibald, Pattison, McGuane, Limbach). Apart from Simmonds and Morrison (who could get delisted in a year's time anyway if he fails again), we have no one else nearing or at their peak who can play KP  :help.

Even if we draft a few KPPs in next year's draft, unless they are of Riewoldt's class they are going to take at least another 3-4 years after that to reach a consistent level. St Kilda was able to get around this somewhat by scoring experienced yet quality players like Hamill, Gehrig and Penny. In fact all the top 4 sides this year had picked up a recycled KP -  Geelong Harley and Mooney, Brisbane Michael and Port Wakelin. However, as we've found out this year with the weak PSD you can't rely on this happening even if you finish dead last :(.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2004, 09:13:58 AM »
I was only trying to be optimistic...we are a long way away in terms of players. I now see why Greg Miller tried so hard to get Travis Cloke, he would have been one less kpp to find, also what seems to be our failure in getting atleast 1 superstar to nominate for the psd is disappointing. There were afew uncontracted 5 or 6 weeks ago...now basically weve been left with players no one wants and thats disappointing. Anyway the euphoria around punt road at the moment re deledio and tambling is good for membership!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2004, 10:58:54 AM »
Can't blame you for being optimistic RT. We all are :thumbsup.

Yeah missing out on the youngest Cloke through the F/S rule meant we had to go for a speculative choice with our third round pick. Hopefully in 2005, Kym Monteath comes back right from the shoulder injury he had this year (he was absolutely flying before then for the East Freo Colts) and ends up being a bargain third round pick-up, meaning we can use our first or two draft picks on young KPPs. Kym seems to have disappeared off the radar the past 6 months  ???.

The other unknown quantity in all this is what affect Terry and his attacking style will have on say a Tivendale or Pettifer. Both have good skills (albeit Tivas is one-sided) but have nowhere reached the levels you would expect from them.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tiger

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004, 09:43:32 PM »
You analyse too much. I just back the Tigers every year & predict a flag.

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 10:42:59 PM »
lol thats my problem tiger i back us until about round 15 every
 season then  my roar turns into a whimper as  my blind loyalty
costs me another potential win in a footy tipping comp! :P