Author Topic: Hartigan hunts midfield berth  (Read 1498 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Hartigan hunts midfield berth
« on: November 29, 2004, 04:13:48 PM »
Hartigan hunts midfield berth
2:01:38 PM Mon 29 November, 2004
Paul Gough
Sportal/exclusive to afl.com.au

Brent Hartigan has wasted little time reflecting on his stellar debut season in the AFL and is already eyeing off a place in the Tigers' midfield under new coach Terry Wallace in 2005.

Already being tipped by some as a future Richmond captain, Hartigan had the sort of introduction to league football in 2004 that young hopefuls everywhere dream of.

Despite being surprisingly drafted as low as pick 70, the tough small defender played 19 games for the season, was nominated for the AFL's Rising Star Award, won Richmond's equivalent of the same award and finished seventh in the Jack Dyer Medal - all in his first season.

But the mature 19-year-old is far from getting carried away with his debut year and has already set his sights on how he can improve next year.

"I've spoken to Terry and I said to him I want to play in the midfield next year," Hartigan said.

"And Terry said if my body is right he will give me a chance in there but if my body is not fit enough or strong enough there is no point."

"So hopefully over the pre-season I can do that and get into the midfield and hopefully have a more dominant effect on the game."

Hartigan said all young players should be aiming to eventually force their way into the midfield.

"That's where the good players play," he said.

"You look just at our club and we have got Nathan Brown, Mark Coughlan and Kane Johnson who all play in the midfield and they are all elite players in the competition."

Hartigan knows he will first have to strengthen his 74kg frame before hoping to become an on-ball player after showing this year that he is more than capable of holding down a defensive position.

"The ball was down there (the Richmond defence) a lot this year but I didn’t really think about the bigger picture - I just tried to win the contests and beat my man," he said.

"But I am a bit chuffed at what has unfolded and I couldn't believe I could finish seventh in the best and fairest and win the rising star for Richmond in my first year."

"It's an absolute dream but it's only a starting point."

"There is no point getting overwhelmed by it if nothing else happens from here on so it's only a platform to build on for next year."

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=179084
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Hartigan hunts midfield berth
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 04:25:24 PM »

But the mature 19-year-old is far from getting carried away with his debut year and has already set his sights on how he can improve next year.

"I've spoken to Terry and I said to him I want to play in the midfield next year," Hartigan said.

"And Terry said if my body is right he will give me a chance in there but if my body is not fit enough or strong enough there is no point."

"So hopefully over the pre-season I can do that and get into the midfield and hopefully have a more dominant effect on the game."

Brent has a very mature head on his young shoulders. Good to see he is very proactive in wanting to improve as a footballer.

On top of putting on more weight to get up to 80kg, Hartigan needs to work on improving his kicking and also like all young players his consistency if he wants to score a midfield role. He had a great start and finish to this year for a debutant but went missing midseason.

blx

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 04:29:09 PM »
too young to assertain future captaincy rights but he definately has shown he has a good footy head on him which is whats needed if you wish be INSIDE.

I like the kid and hope he keeps his end up and becomes a regular player as part of the NEW richmaond.

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 04:39:55 PM »
Ah! the exuberance of youth.
Let's hope that ambitions are fostered under this coach and not left to be destroyed on the interchange bench as has been the case over the past few years

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 04:44:19 PM »
Glad to see the RFC site has corrected the pic that goes with this story - for some strange reason they keep getting Hooky Hartigan mixed up with Alfred Newman

:shh :rollin :rollin :lol :lol :rollin
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 08:48:31 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 11:18:38 PM »
Let's hope that ambitions are fostered under this coach and not left to be destroyed on the interchange bench as has been the case over the past few years

I'll drink to that  :thumbsup

Btw welcome to OER Mopsy  :cheers