Author Topic: Tiger fury at lack of protection (Age)  (Read 409 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger fury at lack of protection (Age)
« on: May 25, 2010, 12:52:38 AM »
Tiger fury at lack of protection
CAROLINE WILSON
May 25, 2010

RICHMOND president Gary March has warned the AFL's start-up clubs to keep their hands off budding stars such as Dustin Martin and Jack Trengove.

With rumours of a three-year $2 million offer being dangled towards Martin - the Tigers' teenaged No. 3 draft pick - March has told AFL executives that bottom-of-the-ladder clubs deserve protection from the Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney.

He voiced his concerns several days ago to AFL chairman Mike Fitzpatrick and chief executive Andrew Demetriou. Demetriou confirmed the conversation to The Age last night, but added: ''Richmond's got to compete to keep their good players. Everyone's got to compete.''
Advertisement: Story continues below

March, whose club has already opened negotiations with Martin less than halfway through his first season, said he was disappointed the new clubs were targeting first- and second-year players.

''I don't know whether everyone has thought this through,'' he said. ''There needs to be some protection offered to teams losing early draft picks at the very start of their careers.

''We were all led to believe that the new clubs could take uncontracted stars, but we weren't aware their targets would be first- and second-year stars. If you suddenly allow that, then it defeats the whole purpose of the system. I'm not just talking about Dustin Martin. I haven't spoken to Melbourne or West Coast, but I would feel the same way about Jack Trengove, Tom Scully or Jack Watts or Nic Naitanui. As a football person, I don't think it's right.''

The AFL Commission is next month expected to rule on a bid led by Geelong for extra compensation for elite players such as Gary Ablett. No such added compensation has been mooted for first-round draft picks playing at struggling clubs.

Although Richmond remains steadfast in its view that GWS coach Kevin Sheedy has made indirect overtures to Martin, who in recent weeks moved in with March and his family, the AFL's 18th club has constantly denied it has made any offer.

Under AFL rules, it cannot enter into any agreement with Martin during the season but could secretly sign him after the completion of the 2010 season and before the pre-season in the AFL-ordained window period. Martin would then be expected to play out 2011 with Richmond in the knowledge he would be leaving at the end of the season.

The Tigers remain confident they will secure another deal for the athletic and highly-skilled midfielder. Demetriou, too, said he believed Martin would remain at Tigerland.

Following his conversation with March last week, Demetriou said: ''You can understand Richmond saying this, but it's just not true that there's this giant bucket of money waiting at these new clubs to throw at these players. There's no extra money in their salary cap, there's just more room for extra players.

''All clubs with good players have the inside running here. Geelong's got Gary Ablett, and I'm sure all these clubs are doing everything in their power to keep those players. As we've seen, players tend to stay with their clubs. No big stars have signed with the Gold Coast yet and I'm confident Dustin Martin will stay at Richmond.'

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tiger-fury-at-lack-of-protection-20100524-w808.html