Author Topic: Boardroom tickets finalised - Miller to run on Casey's ticket  (Read 25206 times)

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Miller caught in middle - Macek
« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2004, 12:29:45 PM »
Dont know any blue chip companies that have one of their managers on the board but not the CEO. Certainly not Wesfarmers, nor Telstra.

1980 if you have a look at the link MT supplied to Wesfarmers you will clearly see that the Managing Director & CEO of Wesfarmers (that makes him a paid empolyee of the company) is also on the Wesfarmers board. Macek has stated that Miller on the board would be untenable - what's his view on this? You cannot take the moral high ground like he has regarding Miller and then not have a problem with on a board that he sits on. Which is it? Tenable or untenable? It would seem a contridiction - doesn't it ???

Managing Director & CEO!!! Not someone that reports to the Managing Director and CEO!!!

Read my post again. I am clearly saying that Its Ok and common practice for the CEO to sit on the board, but ridiculous for someone that reports to the CEO to sit on the board, especially when the CEO himself does not.

So explain to me why Miller is on Casey's ticket and Wright the CEO is not?

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2004, 12:36:11 PM »
There wouldnt be a problem if Steven Wright as CEO ran for the board. But the footy dept GM that reports to the CEO is a problem.

However, Wright wont win Casey as many votes as Miller right?

So they're creating a structural mess just to win the election. And you agree with this.

I don't see the difference. The board monitors the performance of all parts of the club including that of the CEO. If the CEO is on the board then there's a potential conflict of interest as he or she can have a say in the judgement of his or her own performance. With any executive director it's up to he or she and the rest of the board to recognize conflicts of interest and that he or she then steps aside from any discussions or final decisions in regard to issues where a conflict of interest exists. Sure to avoid any potential of a conflict of interest you wouldn't have any executive directors but it's not uncommon and my point was I found it strange that Macek had a problem with the RFC board having an executive director but not other company boards he is actually a member of.

A poster on tiger talk has listed the number of executive directors for the ASX 20 (top 20 Australian companies). Virtually all of them have one and not just the CEO.

AWC Alumina Limited = 1 (of 5)
AMC Amcor Limited = (too difficult to work out because of current
upheaval and crappy website)
AMP AMP Limited = 1 (of 7)
ANZ Australia And New Zealand Banking Group = 1 (of 9)
BHP BHP Billiton Limited = 3 (of 11)
CML Coles Myer Limited = 1 (of 10)
CBA Commonwealth Bank Of Australia = 1 (of 10)
FGL Foster's Group Limited = 1 (of 7)
NAB National Australia Bank Limited = 3 (of 13)
NWSLV News Corporation Inc (NonVoting CDI)= 6/7 (of 14)
NWS News Corporation Inc (Voting CDI) = assumed as above
QBE Qbe Insurance Group Limited = 1 (of 8)
RIO Rio Tinto Limited Australia = 3 (of 13)
SGB St George Bank Limited = 1 (of 9)
TLS Telstra Corporation Limited = 1 (of 9?)
WES Wesfarmers = 4 (of 13)
WDC Westfield Group = 4 (of 13)
WBC Westpac Banking Corporation = 1 (of 9)
WPL Woodside Petroleum Limited = 1 (of 10)
WOW Woolworths Limited = 1 (of 7)

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/tiger-talk/message/62525

I've said earlier before Miller said he was running for a board position that I would have preferred Miller didn't run for the board but I understand why he's doing it and accept his reasons and it doesn't change my vote as I won't be voting for the alternative.

If you want to argue Wright should be on the board instead of Miller, I'd vote for Wright. And I'd ask you. Why isnt he on the ticket? Do they not have faith in him as CEO? Is he another Casey puppet?

I would say Miller adds a football person to the board whereas the financial side is covered already by guys like Dalton and O'Shannassy. That's why they went after Rex.

I'm not arguing about CEOs being on the board. It is common enough practice. I'm asking why OUR CEO is not on the Casey ticket for the board?

Is it because he is subordinate to Greg Miller at the RFC?

And what the hell does that say about the the club turning around its financial position?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2004, 12:44:19 PM »

Managing Director & CEO!!! Not someone that reports to the Managing Director and CEO!!!

Read my post again. I am clearly saying that Its Ok and common practice for the CEO to sit on the board, but ridiculous for someone that reports to the CEO to sit on the board, especially when the CEO himself does not.

Cool I understand what you are saying....... but

Have a look at the Wesfarmers link 1980, there is for example a board member who heads their Business Development Department (I would assume he is paid for that position) the head of that department would report to the CEO and is sitting on the board -conflict?

Because Greg Miller chose to nominate and steven Wright obviously didn't

You know I have been thinking about this and 1980 I am concerned what are we going to debate once this election is over :cheers ;D :cheers

Football perhaps  .... scary thought  :cheers
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2004, 02:18:42 PM »

Cool I understand what you are saying....... but

Have a look at the Wesfarmers link 1980, there is for example a board member who heads their Business Development Department (I would assume he is paid for that position) the head of that department would report to the CEO and is sitting on the board -conflict?

Because Greg Miller chose to nominate and steven Wright obviously didn't

You know I have been thinking about this and 1980 I am concerned what are we going to debate once this election is over :cheers ;D :cheers

Football perhaps  .... scary thought  :cheers

The Wesfarmer CEO is on the board so your comparing apples and oranges. The point is having a subordinate employee on the board when the CEO is not is stupidity, not having both on.

Wright is not on the ticket cos he's not use towards winning the election. If Miller stands down after Casey wins the election, then we dont have a problem. The problem is however whether he is on the board or not, Wright as the CEO is still subordinate to the footy dept. Great idea for winning games, bad idea if you already have books with red ink. Or is Miller going to have us play games in Sydney. What a financially splendid idea that was when he came up with it at the Roos.

We've got nothing to debate when this election is over. Thats the bloody trouble with being a Richmond supporter. We all support the same crap team. And there's no Frawley there for me to crucify. We have to be nice patient supporters for another 2 years.

Miller is a **nt of a bloke, but at least he's our **nt. He better turn it around, cos we've put every egg in his basket. He's got the whole club in his pocket after this election to do as he wishes.   

This elections is driving me nuts.  :'(

Stop flashing beers at me and buy me one.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2004, 11:38:53 PM »
The Wesfarmer CEO is on the board so your comparing apples and oranges. The point is having a subordinate employee on the board when the CEO is not is stupidity, not having both on.

You still have the same conflict with a subordinate employee whether the CEO is on the board or not. What happens when the board discusses the CEO's performance? Does the business development manager at Wesfarmers leave the boardroom as well as the CEO when this occurs because he answers to the CEO as well as the board? Presumably you would expect Miller to not be involved in discussions about Wright. He should step out of the boardroom when this occurs. Miller would be there to play his role on the football subcommittee not the financial and governance one.

We've got nothing to debate when this election is over. Thats the bloody trouble with being a Richmond supporter. We all support the same crap team. And there's no Frawley there for me to crucify. We have to be nice patient supporters for another 2 years.

Yep it's a weird feeling having a coach that knows what he's doing ;). But hey there's still a few more duds on our list to get your teeth into next year ;D.

This elections is driving me nuts.  :'(

Must admit I'm getting slightly sick of it. We've basically been in election mode for almost 6 months and we still have another 8 days to go :P.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Billy Barrot sides with Macek's Big 4/ Past players not happy with Casey
« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2004, 01:28:02 AM »
Casey offers to quit
By Michael Stevens and Jon Pierik
The Australian/Herald Sun
December 10, 2004

BESEIGED Richmond president Clinton Casey is believed to have offered to resign in 12 months if the club's financial position does not improve.

The offer is the latest development in an increasingly nasty election campaign which has had more twists and turns than a mystery novel.

Casey has come under intense fire from past Tiger champions for what is perceived as a dictatorial leadership style.

And the confirmation of a $2.2 million loss for season 2004 has flamed the voices of discontent.

Casey's threat of legal action against past club stalwarts Bryan Wood and Peter Welsh - both members of the rival Charles Macek-led rebel ticket - has also not endeared him to past players.

Club legend Bill Barrot yesterday joined the case for change, with his support for Macek's opposition ticket.

In a major coup for Macek's Big 4 camp, Barrot - the centreman in the Richmond's Team of the Century - has joined his famous wingmen from that side, Dick Clay and Francis Bourke, in calling for members to oust the incumbent board.

In another blow for the regime, the club's past players and officials association fired off a letter to Casey on Wednesday, labelling his threat to sue past premiership players Wood and Welsh as "unacceptable".

As the bitter electioneering heads into its final week, Barrot's decision was a timely boost for Macek.

Barrot had been undecided over which party to support but, after meeting with both, felt the rebels had more to offer.

"I have now had an opportunity to speak with representatives of the current Clinton Casey-led board - including Clinton and Greg Miller - and the Charles Macek-led Big 4 team," Barrot said.

"I sincerely believe that the Big 4 is a genuine team and the best equipped to take Richmond back to its rightful place at the top of the AFL competition.

"I want to support the winning team and I want to support my teammates."

Barrot, who played in the 1967 and '69 premierships, also joins club champions Jim Jess, Emmett Dunne, Brendon Gale, Ron Branton and Paul Broderick in supporting the Big 4.

"These are some of the most revered people in the history of the Richmond Football Club," Macek said.

"Most importantly, they have given a commitment to work with the Big 4 to take our great club back to the top - both on and off the field.

"That is what the Big 4 is all about, galvanising the mighty Richmond family into the most powerful force in the AFL."

Past players and officials president Mike Perry was encouraged to write his letter to Casey after receiving several angry calls, including some from current players.

"You can't go around threatening past champions," Perry said.

A dashing half-back in the '67 premiership side, Perry wouldn't disclose which party he was backing, but said he disagreed with the decision of football director Greg Miller to align himself with the Casey ticket.

"He should stay in the football department," Perry said.

It's understood the Macek group has also attracted some strong support from recently retired players.

Miller last night responded by saying those ex-players should come and talk to him "to get a balanced view".

The board has endured plenty of criticism, not the least over the $2 million loss it announced this year.

Asked whether the board should ask for forgiveness, Miller said: "Yeah, probably. They (supporters) have got to understand it's not an easy role and, while you might be good at part of the role, you are not necessarily over everything you need to be.

"That takes time.

"We took the wrong CEO, we took the wrong route, we had the wrong board members at the time.

"The board has changed significantly."

Miller also denied having any financial links with the wealthy Casey.

About 18,000 adult Tiger members have received their ballots in the mail this week, with votes to be returned by 5pm next Friday.

The new board will be announced at the December 22 election.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,11643740%255E23211,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Billy Barrot sides with Macek's Big 4/ Past players not happy with Casey
« Reply #111 on: December 10, 2004, 02:06:11 AM »
The alternative can roll out as many past players as the want. Just confirms in my mind that they are the political front for the old guard consisting of influential minority groups that have hamstrung our Club for decades by living in the past.

Yeah Bourke, Barrot and Clay were great in their time. Too bad it was almost 40 YEARS AGO  ::) and many Richmond supporters today weren't even around then to see it. Geez let's spend another September  watching B&W GFs from the 60s and early 70s - NOT! :sleep.

I'm waiting to celebrate a centreline of say Deledio, Cogs and Tambling win a flag. That is the future :thumbsup.

Life goes on

Re: Boardroom tickets finalised - Miller to run on Casey's ticket
« Reply #112 on: December 10, 2004, 05:40:41 AM »
I think you can undertsand why we havent been successful for a long time with the culture at Tigerland. Past players are just that , PAST PLAYERS. They all come out of the woodwork now. I go to all games and I can assure everyone that not many do actually go to the games. Who really cares if Billy Barrot backs the BIG 4. , who is Billy Barrot outside football? Really. They can wheel out who they like.Who cares , I dont

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #113 on: December 10, 2004, 07:33:16 AM »
I think you can undertsand why we havent been successful for a long time with the culture at Tigerland. Past players are just that , PAST PLAYERS. They all come out of the woodwork now. I go to all games and I can assure everyone that not many do actually go to the games. Who really cares if Billy Barrot backs the BIG 4. , who is Billy Barrot outside football? Really. They can wheel out who they like.Who cares , I dont

Yeah life Iv'e been going every game for 25 years and I havn't seen any of these people around - Not that I see everyone at the footy by the way
the only x player I have seen that go's pretty regulary to games is Gary Frangalas.

"They can wheel out who they like" - exactly the club is allways bigger than the individual  :thumbsup

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #114 on: December 10, 2004, 01:08:39 PM »
The alternative can roll out as many past players as the want. Just confirms in my mind that they are the political front for the old guard consisting of influential minority groups that have hamstrung our Club for decades by living in the past.

Yeah Bourke, Barrot and Clay were great in their time. Too bad it was almost 40 YEARS AGO  ::) and many Richmond supporters today weren't even around then to see it. Geez let's spend another September  watching B&W GFs from the 60s and early 70s - NOT! :sleep.

I'm waiting to celebrate a centreline of say Deledio, Cogs and Tambling win a flag. That is the future :thumbsup.

Stick to slagging off Brendan Schwab MT.

Those players you've not got kind words for luv the club more than any of us, and showed it when they wore the jumper.

And Brendan Gale wasnt around 40 years ago.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #115 on: December 10, 2004, 01:54:08 PM »
In another blow for the regime, the club's past players and officials association fired off a letter to Casey on Wednesday, labelling his threat to sue past premiership players Wood and Welsh as "unacceptable".

Past players and officials president Mike Perry was encouraged to write his letter to Casey after receiving several angry calls, including some from current players.

"You can't go around threatening past champions," Perry said.

A dashing half-back in the '67 premiership side, Perry wouldn't disclose which party he was backing, but said he disagreed with the decision of football director Greg Miller to align himself with the Casey ticket.

I know that there has been no confirmation of defamation but.............

This concerns, saddens and confuses me.... :'( you cannot threaten because they are past tiger player or official? But if it is determined that a person has been defamed then thats OK ?

Take a step back for a minute please - if someone has been defamed or are concerned that they have been defamed are they not within their rights to do something about  ??? I don't think it is right to hide behind a footy club.

Very sad indeed :'(

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #116 on: December 10, 2004, 03:49:27 PM »
Stick to slagging off Brendan Schwab MT.

Those players you've not got kind words for luv the club more than any of us, and showed it when they wore the jumper.

And Brendan Gale wasnt around 40 years ago.

Surely 1980 despite them being past players (and most of them champions) and entitled to their opinion they are not above scrutiny for what they say publicly. In any case I was just expressing how I'm sick of some of us around the Club continually reminiscing about the good ol' glory days of the 60s and 70s as a distraction to us being in the wilderness for the past 20 years. It just reminds us of how long we've been crap for. Do you think our young supporters (U25s) relate to most of these past players?! Do you think most Essendon fans idolize their past players ahead of champions like Hird and Lloyd?! Recognizing our past is important (although we as a Club seem to put the 1960s/70s sides way ahead of the 1920/30/40s teams who were more dominant IMO) but we shouldn't let it govern our Club's future. You need to move with the times or get left behind. 

froars

« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2004, 03:57:27 PM »
The only people who talk about the good old days is the papers, the players themselves or the clubs when they've got a function they want to promote.  Supporters rarely talk about old players - case in point message boards.  I've seen boards on other sites where they've got sections devoted to players of the past, but hardly any posts in them.  Supporters are more looking forward to the future than dwelling on the past, even if they had successful eras.  Nice to reminisce, but been there, done that.

Players can have their say in the election, but i wish they'd comment on the other side after they've sat down and actually listened to the other side's story.  Love Billy, respect his opinions, but it's my club too and i'll vote how i choose, won't be persuaded by anyone.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #118 on: December 10, 2004, 04:23:40 PM »
The only people who talk about the good old days is the papers

And Tony Greenberg lol ;)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Greg Miller's interview on SEN - 9/12/04 - Part 1
« Reply #119 on: December 10, 2004, 07:05:45 PM »
Greg Miller's interview on SEN - 9/12/04 - Part 1

- Said he only received Macek's ultimatum to step down moments before the deadline. So wasn't able to respond. Knows his decision has put members in a "invidious" position but after even more thought he believes his making the right one.

- Put himself in this position not to just give his total support to Casey but cause he believes so much in what we’ve achieved and  where we’re going.  He didn’t want to start again and had was in no doubt in his mind that would happen if the alternative won the elction. Said when a new board comes in and the style of some of the people on that alternative ticket, they would want to do things differently and he believes that's not need as  we’ve turned the corner. Alot of work had been done behind the scenes in the past 2 years and some of the results of that have only been seen in the last 3-4 months. He said we would see alot more of the results of that in the next 12 months.

- Dermott said Richmond from the outside looked a club that needed to toss out somebody (coach etc..) if they didn't find success in a very short period of time. Richmond needed to find stability to see decisions through. Greg believed that most members see the direction we’re taking now and the patience now to see this through (past two drafts etc...). Said he understood members are concerned about the finances but people have learnt their lessons including the chairman (Casey) and we have now the right CEO, Crowe-Lovett report, right strategic planning and budgeting, Things are already looking on the up.

- Miller said he should have spent more time with the President's men coterie educating them on what the club was doing. Said that was his and Casey's fault. He also claimed Jack's club and the executive Richmond coteries were in favour of the incumbants.

- Miller said under the previous CEO outsourcing outside the club was a wrong decision. The club didn’t have people on the ground to take the opportunities when people were offering finacial contributions and we didn't get back to them. Said the Club has learnt that lesson gone back in-house and we’re doing things right. Expected those people to come back as they Richmond people.

- Said ex-players who backed the alternative would be welcomed at the club. Mentioned the new mentor program where each current player is aligned with a former one. Miller said he wished therse former players had come by and spoken to him to get a balanced view.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2004, 03:14:09 AM by mightytiges »