Author Topic: Boardroom tickets finalised - Miller to run on Casey's ticket  (Read 25180 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Tiger boss seems to have faithful on side
« Reply #165 on: December 16, 2004, 01:01:35 AM »
Tiger boss seems to have faithful on side
By Dan Oakes
The Age
December 16, 2004

Richmond president Clinton Casey strolled among the crowd yesterday at the club's final fans' training day for 2004, and if the mood of the members gathered at Punt Road Oval was any indication, he will be doing the same thing in the same role next year.

The overwhelming majority of Tigers faithful spoken to by The Age said they intended voting or had voted for Casey's ticket as he battles Charles Macek's team for control of the club. Polling closes tomorrow and the result should be known by Saturday.

It is believed that Casey's team has surveyed more than 4000 members and found that it has the support of 65-75 per cent of them, a figure that fits with yesterday's findings.

The reasons given yesterday for supporting Casey were varied, but most people said that the club made infamous in the past 20 years for its turnover of coaches and administrators needed some stability in order to progress.

Brian Wethling, a member for 25 years, said he also admired Casey's refusal to walk away from the club despite its woes.

"At the end of the day, he put in a lot of money from his own pocket to keep Richmond above board," Wethling said. "He (also) tried to do things like put more money into the football department, getting Wayne Brittain and those sort of things...

"It never paid off, players got injured, players never responded to the coach's game plan, and he could have easily walked off, but he said 'no, I'm going to stay here and stick with the club'."

In a worrying sign for the opposition group, football operations manager Greg Miller's decision to join the Casey ticket also swayed many members. Macek said this week that his ticket feared that the "Miller factor" might get his opponents over the line.

"He didn't have Miller before," said Fred Hanlon,, a member for 10 years. "The Miller factor sold me. If (Miller) was going to say that he was going to stay with either party, I would have have picked and chosen, split (my vote). It would have been down the middle without Miller."

The feelings towards Miller were not entirely positive. One member who did not want to be named because of links to the club accused Miller of "putting a gun to the club's head" by saying he would walk away from it if the Macek ticket triumphed.

"I think it's an absolute disgrace, 'Vote for me or I'll walk away'. Who said that Greg Miller is our saviour? In my opinion he's not. What has he done for this club?" the member asked.

"To date he's thrown a bucket of money at Nathan Brown, who's a fine acquisition, but nothing else."

Other Macek voters said that they were influenced by the recent news of Richmond's poor financial performance. Casey announced recently that the club had lost $2.2 million this year, leaving it $3 million in debt.

William Whittle, a member for 13 years, said the board deserved to be thrown out on the basis of the club's accounts.

"If you're going to have two years like we've just had and lose $3 million, there's something wrong. Why would you vote for something wrong?" Whittle said.

"That's the bottom line; you've missed out on the field and you've missed out off the field. If this crowd hadn't come along and opposed them, we'd still be going downhill."

The fans were at Punt Road not only to see their team train, but also to watch the opening of the Jack Dyer Foundation walkway of honour, which commemorates every player throughout Richmond's history with a brick.

The honours were done by Richmond's oldest former player, 96-year-old Sid Dockendorff, and Alice Hayden, a member for 72 consecutive years.

Hayden would not be drawn on who she voted for, but admitted she was disappointed with the club's recent performance on and off the field.

"Let's hope from now on there's unity on and off the field," she said.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/12/15/1102787144549.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Rebels cool on Barrot
« Reply #166 on: December 16, 2004, 01:18:33 AM »
Rebels cool on Barrot
By Michael Stevens
Herald-Sun/The Australian
December 16, 2004

BILLY Barrot's seeming about-face in the Richmond board election would not damage the chances of the rebel group, spokesman Charles Macek said last night.

"I think it is tragic that someone is using what is allegedly his ballot paper for political purposes," Macek said.

"To the extent that anyone thinks it might influence the election, I think they're mistaken because I suspect the vast majority of people who are going to vote have voted."

Barrot, one of the Tigers' favourite sons, initially sided with the Big 4 group in a bid to oust incumbent president Clinton Casey.

But in an about-face, revealed in the Herald Sun yesterday, he allegedly voted 5-4 in favour of the Casey ticket.

Macek said last night the revelation had not damaged his campaign, but rather Barrot himself.

"Everyone who knows Billy knows his health situation," Macek said. "That's why Bryan Wood and I took so much care to ensure that there was no misunderstanding.

"And it's just unfortunate that he didn't get to speak to anyone in the media, even though the media arranged the photo shoot (with fellow Tiger champions Francis Bourke and Dick Clay).

"He's disappointed that he wasn't able to get his perspective across, and I can understand that."

Macek said it was sad Barrot's name was being used for political purposes because it didn't reflect well on the champion centreman.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,11703420%255E23211,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Rebels cool on Barrot
« Reply #167 on: December 16, 2004, 01:31:00 AM »

Macek said it was sad Barrot's name was being used for political purposes because it didn't reflect well on the champion centreman.

:rollin @ this comment.

Well they say a week is a long time in footy. Now which group only a week ago was parading Barrot around for their own political purposes:  ::)

MEDIA STATEMENT

Thursday, 9 December 2004

BOURKE BARROT CLAY TEAM UP AGAIN TO SUPPORT BIG 4

The greatest centreline in the history of Australian Rules Football – Bourke, Barrot and Clay – has teamed up once again to support the Tigers’ Big 4 team in this month’s Richmond Football Club election.

Dual premiership centreman, Bill Barrot, today added his voice to the many Tiger legends already supporting the Big 4 team and completed the famous centreline of the 1967 and 1969 Richmond Premiership sides.

http://69.72.156.24/~richmond/downloads/bourkebarrotclay.pdf

Life goes on

Re: Boardroom tickets finalised - Miller to run on Casey's ticket
« Reply #168 on: December 16, 2004, 04:52:39 AM »
It just goes to show what  clowns Macek and co really are.
Nobody knew of Macek 3 months ago. I cant beleive a person would make comments as he has ::)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #169 on: December 16, 2004, 08:54:34 AM »
Agree MT but if you faxed your ballot paper in rather than posting it then you'd still have a copy ;)

LOL. Forgot about that little fact of technology WP :thumbsup.

:rollin :rollin

The only reason I remembered this is because I faxed my vote - maybe I should leak my ballot paper on this site  ;D

Anyone want to see it :lol :rollin  :shh ;D

Then again ..... If you close your eyes and think real hard anyone should be able to get a mental picture of which boxes are ticked  ;D :lol :rollin ;D :lol :rollin

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Rebels cool on Barrot
« Reply #170 on: December 16, 2004, 09:07:11 AM »
Macek said last night the revelation had not damaged his campaign, but rather Barrot himself.

"Everyone who knows Billy knows his health situation," Macek said. "That's why Bryan Wood and I took so much care to ensure that there was no misunderstanding.

Huh? Then can I ask why if you were so concerend by Billy's health situation did you use or get Billy involved?

R-E-S-P-O-N-S-I-B-I-L-I-T-Y  :banghead :banghead

Who's political purposes Charles? >:(

R-E-S-P-O-N-S-I-B-I-L-I-T-Y  :banghead :banghead

It just goes to show what clowns Macek and co really are.

It is all about R-E-S-P-O-N-S-I-B-I-L-I-T-Y LGO and their inablility to accept it

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #171 on: December 16, 2004, 11:05:33 AM »
BILLY Barrot's seeming about-face in the Richmond board election would not damage the chances of the rebel group, spokesman Charles Macek said last night.

:sleep  :P

The only thing that has damaged the Alternative group is the Alternative group themselves.

Billy Barrot was on SEN with KB yesterday and it seems that this is no back flip at all.  Barrot said that he saw Bryan Wood at a function the day before and wasn’t prepared to shake Wood’s hand until Wood agreed with him that he (Barrot) didn’t consent to any comments printed in the paper a week ago (which said that he had endorsed the Alternative group).

Barrot seemed more upset by being misrepresented than he was anything else.  And said the only thing he had agreed to was a picture with his former teammates and not any comments that had been printed.

Wood finally agreed and Barrot then shook his hand.

Less than 30 hours to go until the longest political bun fight in the history of anything is finally over.  Couldn't they just keep it short and sweet and cut it to the bare 6 months?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 11:26:06 AM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Running a club harder than it looks
« Reply #172 on: December 16, 2004, 12:46:13 PM »
Although it surprises me to say it - this is actaully a very fair article from todays H/Sun by Mike Sheahan :o :o he makes some valid points

==========================

Running a club harder than it looks
16 December 2004   Herald Sun
Mike Sheahan

BILL Barrot's sudden switch of allegiance in the Richmond power struggle illustrates the nonsense of the focus on past players in election campaigns.

In the space of a week, Barrot has been paraded in the media as a high-profile supporter of Big 4 ticket and, all of a sudden, a supporter of Clinton Casey and Greg Miller when it mattered most: on the ballot paper.

Barrot was pictured with Richmond Team of the Century teammates Francis Bourke and Dick Clay in support of the Big 4, but reportedly was furious about quotes attributed to him at the time and jumped ship.

Casey and Miller have mustered little if any support from past players, but Barrot's ballot paper, which gives five of his nine votes to the Casey team, still made them extremely happy.

With due respect to Barrot -- he is a dual premiership centreman -- it is 34 years since he played for the Tigers, and his involvement since has been minimal.

Strangely, the Big 4 group has run a campaign based almost entirely on the call for change from former players from Bourke down.

Nick Daffy voluntarily joined the fray at the weekend, voicing his public support for the challengers on the basis of the disregard he said the Casey administration group had shown former players.

Daffy should be pushing himself, and his credentials, as a young businessman with a growing reputation in hospitality and marketing.

Why, though, is so much stock based on the views of former players?

They are heroes of the club, legendary names, but they are legend for their deeds inside the fence: running, jumping, marking and kicking. Winning premierships.

The game in the boardroom is played under a totally different set of rules. It calls for different skills, for clear thinking and imagination. For business acumen. For old-fashioned nous.

It is totally immaterial whether a bloke played 300-odd games or kicked goals from the centre or was a club captain 100 years ago.

It is a matter of understanding the demands of running a business that turns over roughly $20 million in a highly competitive market.

Of course old players want to see their club successful, but how can they possibly know what's happening from afar. The calls for change at Richmond have come from as far away as Queensland.

That simply is someone saying they're tired of seeing the club at the bottom of the ladder, which is fair enough. It doesn't, though, give any hint at all of a solution.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,11704680%255E19742,00.html

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #173 on: December 16, 2004, 01:25:28 PM »
I was as shell shocked as you WP.  I was even thinking of posting it. :o

But I haven't recovered from the shock yet.  I seen it, I read it, but I still don’t believe it.

Wonder if Caro's read this? :rollin

She'll never agree.  :P ;D
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #174 on: December 16, 2004, 02:32:41 PM »
"Although it surprises me to say it - this is actaully a very fair article from todays H/Sun by Mike Sheahan   he makes some valid points" WP

When I read this I just knew Clinton was going to win in a landslide. Mike only ever jumps on the popular cause and I think he's seen the writing on the wall.
 :cheers

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #175 on: December 16, 2004, 03:14:34 PM »

Less than 30 hours to go until the longest political bun fight in the history of anything is finally over. 

Less than 30 hours to go. Eight months this has been going on and I cannot believe it has been that long.

Perhaps that is why I have been very slack this week (when at home) going through all the emails I have been receiving frm different Tiger friends over this election. As we know everyone has an opinion -  as you would know from this site some of the views on this I have agreed with others (Hi 1980 ;D) I haven't - the beauty of democracy :thumbsup

Anyway I have received copies of so many letters in the last week and half it hasn't been funny - I received a link to the BIG4 website and letter that was written by Charles Macek see the link:

http://69.72.156.24/~richmond/downloads/Charles_letter_to_fans3.pdf

Late last week I received a letter from another friend in reply to the Macek letter. It is extremely well written and highlights a number of points regarding why my friend has supported the Casey ticket. I have got the OK to post it here: I will admit that I have been debating whether to post it here because I didn't want to be accused of using a friends words to push my views on others but as I said it is very well written and concise in its message.

ED Note: Names for obvious reason have been deleted ;)
=======

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #176 on: December 16, 2004, 03:31:42 PM »
Dear xxxx,

I read with interest the letter from Charles Macek, received from yourself, and this in turn has made me type a letter to yourselves from my heart.
There are a few points that I feel need some clarification, re: the above letter.

1.0) His main point is one of Fiscal Responsibility.
There really is no excuse in my opinion for the $2 million debt.

However, based upon that premise, it is paramount that we all understand who is best equipped to handle this situation.

There is no question that the current board have done their sums correctly.

They have budgeted, through Steven Wright, and with the AFL approval for a $150,000.00 loss for 2005.

It is important to understand the basis of this budget.

The budget is based upon Terry Wallace being singularly unsuccessful for season 2005, and the team finishing in 16th Position.......Possible, but not likely.

It is also based on their being a downturn in membership, and a status quo in corporate support and coterie groups.

BECAUSE OF THIS SCENARIO, THE FINANCIAL TURNAROUND WILL TAKE PLACE.

Already, the club has achieved 85% of budgeted corporate support, mainly through TAC and Motorola.

Already, the club has achieved more than 100% of budget, from existing Coterie Groups, with the addition of the NEW Richmond Executive Group, set to tip in an additional amount conservatively of  $300,000.00.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 03:44:40 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #177 on: December 16, 2004, 03:41:29 PM »
the letter.. cont
================

Membership is 15% up on this time last year.

Significant savings have been achieved in the Football Department. (I am trying to get a figure on this, but believe it to be around $700,000.00)

The above did not happen by accident, and regardless of who wins, the building blocks have been put in place.

Now ask yourself, who put the above foundations in place.

The C.E.O. & the existing board put them in place.

There is also no doubt, that the future of the Football Club has never been brighter.

We appear finally, to have everyone within the Footy Club, pulling in the one direction, and then we get the alternative ticket claiming to offer a fresh direction!

The question most seasoned Richmond supporters would ask, is to where?

There is no question that 12 months ago, the alternative ticket, had reason for a change in direction.

However, in the past 9 months, the current board has made significant personnel appointments, to set the club in the right direction.

New board members in Maurice O'Shannassy C.E.O. of Merrill Lynch and Rob Dalton, Senior Partner from Ernst & Young have been added to the board.

Steven Wright has been appointed C.E.O.

Terry Wallace has been appointed Senior Coach.

Paul Armstrong has been appointed Footy Manager.

All the above have been achieved with the new board. I am not so sure the alternative ticket could have achieved this.

Lets be honest, Charles Macek, Michael Humphris, Brendan Schwab and Peter Walsh have all been there before.

Where did Richmond finish, when these guys were on the board? Look at our history to see what they achieved in the years they were on the board, and what input they made.                                                                                                                                                 

Regardless, of what you think, Clinton Casey and the current board actually made DESCISIONS, OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS.........Admittedly, they got it wrong.

However, there is no question that based upon the above information; they have finally got it right.   

Why do we want to go back to the drawing board and start again?

Especially, as the cost of going back to the drawing board, will be the loss of Greg Miller. Do not underestimate his contribution to the club, in terms of ensuring we appointed Terry Wallace as the new coach, and the clean way in which we parted with Danny Frawley, especially when compared to Hawthorn, Western Bulldogs and Adelaide.

We cannot afford, at this point in the Richmond Football Club to lose the momentum and direction we have attained.

This is inevitable under a new board, or a split board.

What puzzles me, is that key members of the alternative ticket, could have had a seat on the current board, thus avoiding the potential for disharmony, that is certain to follow, no matter who wins. However, they refused this offer, and essentially they are saying they want a take over the Club, no matter what the cost! THE OLD RICHMOND PHILOSOPHY LINGERS ON IN TRUE TIGER TRADITION, with the alternative ticket.

A question that has never been satisfactorily answered by both Brendan Schwab and Peter Welsh, is why they sat on the board for so long, being a key part like every other board member, of the accumulated losses, and then decided to jump ship.

What is more interesting is that Peter Welsh cited “personal business pressures ", as being a key reason for his resignation. These pressures must have miraculously changed, for him to be wanting to be a part of the Richmond Board again.

Brendan Schwab claimed that he could not get financial information from Clinton Casey, and yet he sat on the board, not supposedly asking any questions until early this year. What are both their responsibilities as board members, for their part in these accumulated losses?

At least Clinton Casey and the rest of the board members stood firm, and have admitted their mistakes. Have you heard them blaming Schwab and Welsh, for their part in the decision making.

I do not believe under any circumstances, that you can afford to vote these two persons on to any Richmond Board, and they are on the alternative ticket.

Bryan Wood Football Director. Where has he been for the past twenty years, when we needed him.............at Essendon.

I was at a Hafeys Ambush pre game lunch, some three years ago, in a restaurant in Bridge Road, before a Richmond - Essendon game. He stood up and made a speech, about Essendon and Sheedy. There was no mention of Richmond. There couldn’t be, he did not know anything about the place. In fact at that lunch, he was asked the question why he was not a member of the "Past Players". He could only have become a member in the past two years, and now he wishes to be Football Director.

I have no problems with either Macek or Humphris credentials. The only question I ask is why they didn’t negotiate with the current board, for seats. They certainly could have had them, and we could have saved all this NEGATIVITY, directed at the Club.

The other people on the ticket, I do not know. However, none of them seem to offer anything we have not already got.

All I ask is, that when you vote, consider the negative force which will inevitably be created, by the selection of the alternative ticket, and the consequent reduction of positive momentum gained to date, by the current board.

GO THE MIGHTY TIGES!

Best  Regards,
=====

And with my mates letter that is where I will end my debate on this topic. :thumbsup

For anyone who is eligble and hasn't voted - please vote because this time round it is so very important
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 09:05:46 AM by WilliamPowell »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #178 on: December 16, 2004, 05:56:05 PM »
Thanks for that WP  :).

That letter pretty much sums up my feelings and the reasons why I voted for the incumbants.

Thank goodness this election will be all over in less than 24 hours and we can concentrate on the footy in 2005.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Miller may stay even if Casey departs
« Reply #179 on: December 17, 2004, 01:23:04 AM »
Miller may stay even if Casey departs
By Dan Oakes
The Age
December 17, 2004

As the conclusion to Richmond's bloody boardroom battle approaches, Greg Miller has said he might stay on at the club even if Clinton Casey is not returned as president.

The club's popular football operations manager threw caution to the wind two weeks ago when he hitched himself to Casey's wagon and entered the election fray. If Miller is elected, he will combine his board position with his existing role.

If Charles Macek's opposition ticket emerges triumphant, Miller said he would walk away from the club, a stance that Macek and his lieutenant Brendan Schwab emphatically endorsed. This was widely interpreted to mean that Miller's future was linked to Casey's success in the election, voting for which finishes today.

But yesterday, Miller said his problem lay with Macek and Schwab rather than the rest of the rebel ticket. This leaves open the possibility, albeit remote, that if Casey lost the presidency and control of the board, but Schwab and Macek also were not elected, Miller could be persuaded to stay on as football manager whether or not his tilt at the board succeeds and regardless of who ends up controlling the club.

If the other members of Macek's ticket are elected and end up with a majority on the board, Miller's popularity with the members and his football smarts could make giving him his marching orders difficult.

"It's true to say, and I've always said, that you'll just have to wait and see what the make-up of the board is," Miller said.

"I couldn't categorically say whether I could or couldn't work with them (the other members of Macek's ticket). They're probably fine people but I don't know them. There is no doubt that Brendan has questioned my integrity. It's true that if (Schwab and Macek) were involved with a ticket that is in the majority, it would be untenable for me, but if it was a Trevor Barrot and Sharon Hall, you never know."

Miller said that while he was seen as a Casey loyalist, he wanted what was best for Richmond, and that for the club to change direction now would be disastrous. Although the Tigers are $3 million in debt and finished 16th last season, Casey and Miller claim that the foundations for a revival have been laid.

"My loyalty is to the members, that's where it is. I respect the job Clinton's done, obviously, and I know that he's going in the right direction," Miller said.

"Clinton Casey is not all things to all people, it's very hard to be that at a footy club because there are so many levels.

"But certain parts of the job, the sponsors, the AFL, he's very good.

"Everyone learns out of all of this and he'll be an even better president next year, if he's given the chance."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/12/16/1102787211459.html