Author Topic: Troy Simmonds farewell game  (Read 5775 times)

jackstar is back again

Re: Troy Simmonds farewell game
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2010, 04:53:50 AM »
You see things from a supporters view and not what happens behind the scences.
He is highly regarded person in our football club and deserves a send off game.

Agree

There is lots people dont know what happens behind the closed doors, leave it at that

So true but there are so many who think they know when they actually don't know .... wouldn't you agree  :rollin

I agree actually :thumbsup :rollin :rollin ;)

jackstar is back again

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2010, 06:46:55 AM »
Just got back from the gym and found this in the newsletter.
""Footballer Troy Simmonds had a 93% chance of dying from a Cardiovascular event in 2007. He recovered to be part of the 2008 AFL state of Orgin in team for Victoria.
The article goes on in regards to him donating his time in regards to "' Healthy Hearts and Strokes campaign.""

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2010, 09:02:40 AM »
You're just being silly now.

Answer these questions, please.

Who told you Simmonds asked for a farewell match as you continue to state like he is the enemy holding the club to ransom rather than the possibility of him being offered by the club and graciously accepting to play one last time as a leader for our football club?

Who are you to judge what Troy Simmonds means to our players as to what he has contributed, particularly as a clubman behind closed doors given he was voted by the playing group into the leadership group at the start of the season despite us knowing then he was only a player filling gaps in the ruck for a year at Damien Hardwick's request?

Your point about Kane Johnson, Matthew Richardson and Darren Gaspar is utter poo since two played in round 22 or the last game they were able to and Gaspar walked after being dropped, and Rory Hilton and Andrew Kellaway were delisted.  None of those players had anything comparable to Troy Simmonds' situation and it's just you trying to search for some kind of valid reason for your incoherent ramblings, yes?

I have an issue with a guy that's played 90 games for the club getting a farewell game, who is not in our best 22.

If Tuck and McMahon played out the year in the VFL and wanted to retire would we be happy for them to come in and take spots from deserved players?

Get past the fact were all stoked for Troy. Think about every player that actually played 100 games for the club that weren't given one.

Let's not get to emotional and defensive Deledio and Bling has been at the club just as long if he retired do we give Brett and Bling a send off?
Go Tigers!

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2010, 09:59:24 AM »
You're just being silly now.

Answer these questions, please.

Who told you Simmonds asked for a farewell match as you continue to state like he is the enemy holding the club to ransom rather than the possibility of him being offered by the club and graciously accepting to play one last time as a leader for our football club?

Who are you to judge what Troy Simmonds means to our players as to what he has contributed, particularly as a clubman behind closed doors given he was voted by the playing group into the leadership group at the start of the season despite us knowing then he was only a player filling gaps in the ruck for a year at Damien Hardwick's request?

Your point about Kane Johnson, Matthew Richardson and Darren Gaspar is utter poo since two played in round 22 or the last game they were able to and Gaspar walked after being dropped, and Rory Hilton and Andrew Kellaway were delisted.  None of those players had anything comparable to Troy Simmonds' situation and it's just you trying to search for some kind of valid reason for your incoherent ramblings, yes?

I have an issue with a guy that's played 90 games for the club getting a farewell game, who is not in our best 22.

If Tuck and McMahon played out the year in the VFL and wanted to retire would we be happy for them to come in and take spots from deserved players?

Get past the fact were all stoked for Troy. Think about every player that actually played 100 games for the club that weren't given one.

Let's not get to emotional and defensive Deledio and Bling has been at the club just as long if he retired do we give Brett and Bling a send off?

Yeah I know you have told us a million times but there you go again avoiding any questions that have been asked of you and creating unrealistic scenarios to try and suit your argument.  Who is "stoked for Troy?"  I'm not, this is not about us, this is about the playing group sending off a bloke who has been a great leader for this club, survived and played on after a 10% chance of living (which may be an inspiration from his team mates far more than we will ever know), and a player who decided to give his knee one more go at the request of our football department, not because of his own selfishness but to help out a club in need.   

This shouldn't about isolating the amount of games he has played as some kind of be-and-end-all measure, get some kind of perspective there just might be more to it that your blinkers are failing to see.  If the players and Hardwick want to give him a send off game I don't think it's up to an outsider to rubbish their call when they have no idea about what intangibles Simmonds has bought to the team or to judge without knowing the respect Simmonds has as a player and a person to his team mates.  Who are you to rubbish the call when we are sitting on the outside with no idea what Troy Simmonds means to the club?

Now for gods sake answer these simple questions.   If you avoid them again it's pretty clear you have some kind of agenda.

EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2010, 10:23:47 AM »
TA its a dumb question that's why I didn't answer it.

Nobody told me Simmonds asked for it, we all know he agreed to it. The decision to have a farewell match is the problem, regardless if it was Troy, the club, the playing group or Zeus calling for it to happen.

TA, lets not get all high and mighty, who gives me the right to judge Troy? Well if we're getting all emotional about it the Australian Government does, with free opinionated speech.

Every player gives for there club, every player gives time outside of football to others. Andrew Raines was a big one giving countless hours to the homeless and disabled. Troy is no different to any other player.

I've said enough, I don't agree with it and feel very very sorry for a David Astbury or Graham Polak who'll make way for this circus.
Go Tigers!

TigerTimeII

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2010, 10:34:33 AM »
im not a big fan of troy the fake snake simmonds, but according to dimma, snake is an awsome bloke and been really great at the club and totally loved and respected by all the boys at the  club. so i guess one can measure a bloke by what the closest ppl around him think of him, not us on the outside.

so imo , he deserves a send off

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2010, 10:42:55 AM »
Well if that's the case, a dumb thread deserves a dumb question.  :-*

Nobody told me Simmonds asked for it, we all know he agreed to it. The decision to have a farewell match is the problem, regardless if it was Troy, the club, the playing group or Zeus calling for it to happen.

You were the one saying he asked for a farewell game, so I'm glad to see you have backtracked to the reality of the situation.

Every player gives for there club, every player gives time outside of football to others. Andrew Raines was a big one giving countless hours to the homeless and disabled. Troy is no different to any other player.

I've said enough, I don't agree with it and feel very very sorry for a David Astbury or Graham Polak who'll make way for this circus.

It's not outside of football that's any relevance, it's to the club itself.  Being if not the most then near the highest regarded person at the Richmond Football Club means Simmo has contributed more to our sporting club than I know and you know and I suggest that if the players see him as a leader worthy of being sent off with a farewell game then we respect their call and get over the fact it's one game, which Polak should make way for as he was just average last week.

The only circus is the one made by you in this thread.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2010, 11:00:46 AM »
I for one I remember when he was in form and playing some terrific football for us.  He never shirked putting his body on the line.  He has gone through his fair share of nasty injuries and the near death embulism which would explain his deterioration over time, he still came back and tried to buy the younger rucks some time.  Troy is a good team and club man and deserves a send off, it is obvious the younger fellas look up to the old warhorse, I hope people can give the man a bit of respect.  He is going to help out in a coaching role beyond this game which must speak volumes for his dedication to the club.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2010, 11:10:57 AM »
Don't agree with it.

Send off games are for for players that give a decade of service with distinction. In Troys case sounds awful like I can't get back into the side so I'll just throw the towel in and lucky me I get a charity game. I don't like it.

If we're giving servants of the club of 90 games, no finals appearances, only top 3 B&F finish in a 6 year span farewell games, it's a precedence for a circus.

We're all getting a bit to defensive here. Got no problem with earning your way back into the side and retire with a bit of class. Not at the expense of dropping someone who was apart of our first success structure in 9 months. It's not fair on them and the greats that genuinely deserved a send off ie Knights, Richardson etc.

Would anyone agree that Kane Johnson have come back into the side last year and limped around the MCG for a farewell game? No so why are we happy for Troy to do it? Whats the point anyway? You can't argue it's completely selfish on Troys behave? Decided to retire last week after Round 8 only to play 1 more game in Round 10 as a last hurrah? Hurrah for what?

It doesn't make sense to me.

Instead of bashing the opinion please explain what the point of this farewell is actually for? A celebration is the best I come up with. But if you celebrate Troys career you'd celebrate 90% of the AFL lists career and that's farcical. Most were happy to see Brown, Coughlan, Richardson etc left off this years list to further development, yet pushing out a player that will be playing for his career is counter intuitive to that?

Make no sense to me. Feel free to explain it.
I think you've made your point

It's still wrong, but we get it seriously

What is wrong? My point or the farewell game?

Your point is wrong, he absolutely deserves a farewell game

He's one of the longest serving players at the club and is in the leadership group. He's represented Victoria while playing for us and was a contender for AA selection the previous season. He also almost died while on our list and it is amazing that he was able to come back to play AFL for us after that.

Probably the only issue I have with the farewell game is the timing, I don't think anyone deserves to get dropped this week. However he'll only replace Polak who didn't do that much on the weekend so at the end of the day it's not a massive issue.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2010, 11:14:34 AM »

You were the one saying he asked for a farewell game, so I'm glad to see you have backtracked to the reality of the situation.

It's not outside of football that's any relevance, it's to the club itself.  Being if not the most then near the highest regarded person at the Richmond Football Club means Simmo has contributed more to our sporting club than I know and you know and I suggest that if the players see him as a leader worthy of being sent off with a farewell game then we respect their call and get over the fact it's one game, which Polak should make way for as he was just average last week.

Troy Simmonds the highest regarded person at RFC? You can't be serious?..
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2010, 11:17:33 AM »
Infamy fair enough our opinions are different. I've said enough of it.

My main point was the timing of it, maybe I didn't get it across properly. I'm all for a farewell game when there are holes in the side where Simmonds can take without someone deservedly or in development is forced to play at Coburg. This is the worst week to have it.
Go Tigers!

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2010, 11:35:52 AM »

Troy Simmonds the highest regarded person at RFC? You can't be serious?..

My mistake, should have read "near the highest regarded player at the Richmond football club."

And yes, I am absolutely serious about that.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Tigermonk

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2010, 11:37:28 AM »
So in 5 years at the club Troy Simmonds has done more behind the doors than Kane Johnson, Darren Gasper, Andrew Kellaway, Rory Hilton and Matthew Richardson have done in their careers? Did Greg Tivendale  even have a farewell match? I fact I think he might have, and rightly so.

I'm not against Troy being fare welled. Everyone deserves to say goodbye, its the way its been allowed. Unless you've played 150+ games for the club, with form struggling and the game beyond you, you can't put your hand up and ask for a charity goodbye game. IE Tyson Edwards, and even that doesn't look good.

If we lost against Port last week it wouldn't have been an issue. The 22 that won last week 100% deserve there spot unless a player warrants their selection back ie a Foley, Jackson even Post after his 4 goal haul. Not a player that's post 30, in horrible form and struggling with fitness that wants 1 last hurrah match.

Troy isn't in the best 22 as it stands, why are we moving away from our vision of uncompromisable competitiveness. Picking a player that is probably only just fits in our best 30 at the moment is counter-intuitive to our development which is what this year is all about.

Yes Greg Tivendale did get a farewell game.
any player deserves a farewell game no matter how long he served the club. It's to celebrate a players career.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2010, 11:39:45 AM »
My main point was the timing of it, maybe I didn't get it across properly. I'm all for a farewell game when there are holes in the side where Simmonds can take without someone deservedly or in development is forced to play at Coburg. This is the worst week to have it.

I understand the timing, you would think that the West Coast match would be a better farewell match
Not only is it a better chance at a win, but it also is at the G and right before the break week
Perhaps they know that Round 12 will mean a lot more Ins from Jackson, Connors and perhaps Gourdis so didn't want to add one more change.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2010, 11:54:38 AM »
So in 5 years at the club Troy Simmonds has done more behind the doors than Kane Johnson, Darren Gasper, Andrew Kellaway, Rory Hilton and Matthew Richardson have done in their careers? Did Greg Tivendale  even have a farewell match? I fact I think he might have, and rightly so.

I'm not against Troy being fare welled. Everyone deserves to say goodbye, its the way its been allowed. Unless you've played 150+ games for the club, with form struggling and the game beyond you, you can't put your hand up and ask for a charity goodbye game. IE Tyson Edwards, and even that doesn't look good.

If we lost against Port last week it wouldn't have been an issue. The 22 that won last week 100% deserve there spot unless a player warrants their selection back ie a Foley, Jackson even Post after his 4 goal haul. Not a player that's post 30, in horrible form and struggling with fitness that wants 1 last hurrah match.

Troy isn't in the best 22 as it stands, why are we moving away from our vision of uncompromisable competitiveness. Picking a player that is probably only just fits in our best 30 at the moment is counter-intuitive to our development which is what this year is all about.

Yes Greg Tivendale did get a farewell game.
any player deserves a farewell game no matter how long he served the club. It's to celebrate a players career.

Thats a great idea Monk.

With around a 7,200 players going around when 18 teams are in the competition. Lets eventually give all of them farewell games. That makes sense.

Tiver deserved it, was 1 season shy of 200 games, I'm glad he got one.
Go Tigers!