Author Topic: Hungry Richmond Tigers are clear winners in clearance stakes (Herald-Sun)  (Read 476 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hungry Richmond Tigers are clear winners in clearance stakes

* Jay Clark
    * June 09, 2010

THEY remain last on the ladder, but Richmond's unflinching midfield approach has made it a league-leader in a most unexpected way.

After 11 rounds, coach Damien Hardwick's back-to-basics policies have helped the reborn Tigers top the AFL's centre-clearance charts.

It's hard to believe, but a team in the infancy of its rebuilding cycle has won 18 more clearances than its opposition inside the centre square cauldron this season.

And around the ground, Richmond ranks third in Champion Data's stoppage differentials.

Critics may argue the statistical worth, as the polish on the delivery is severely lacking. But the result is undoubtedly a big tick amid a bleak season for an emerging Richmond on-ball brigade.

Youngsters Dustin Martin, 18, and Trent Cotchin, 20, have led the club with 57 and 48 stoppage wins each.

They were at the fore on Friday night as the Tigers upstaged St Kilda for clearances (41 to 26) in a 38-point loss, drawing high praise from Saints' star Brendon Goddard.

"Their tackling, their pressure and their contested ball has really been first class," Goddard said.

"They're really good inside, they've got some really talented players like Cotchin.

"His first possession is very strong, he is very good in that area.

"And Dustin Martin and Shane Tuck, who is a work horse, have done really well against us."

Young Tiger Andrew Collins said the team had enormous faith in its engine room to get first hands on the footy despite the vast difference in experience in most cases.

The imminent return of established rover and vice-captain Nathan Foley will add to the midfield potency.

"It has been a strength of ours and even though we are young, the guys we have got there like Cotchin and Martin, they're pretty impressive," Collins said.

"They all love hunting the footy. They're pretty good at it, and we back them in against the best - and that's what St Kilda are - the best."

Richmond has won only one game, but the commitment of its midfield in particular has fuelled hopes of more scalps this season.

Collins said the Tigers' clash against lowly West Coast at the MCG on Sunday was definitely winnable.

"We are starting to get a bit of belief around the place, there are some good signs," he said.

"Definitely the way we fought back into the game in the third quarter (against St Kilda) is encouraging."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/hungry-richmond-tigers-are-clear-winners-in-clearance-stakes/story-e6frf9ix-1225877666798

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Great article, where are the do gooders?
Very positive stuff
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Ox

The stuffin media..........
leechdogs.
They're sick of being negative about the club so now they jump on any favorable stat they find.