Author Topic: Tigers vs Brisbane @ the Gabba  (Read 14482 times)

Online julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Tigers vs Brisbane @ the Gabba
« Reply #225 on: June 20, 2010, 10:02:36 AM »
Yeah noise was huge where we were - and not all just from me & mini-me :rollin

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #226 on: June 20, 2010, 10:45:30 AM »
Positives were won interstate again, kicked over 100 points and did not have to rely on Jack kicking a bag.With any win there is a bit of luck involved- no black, and no brown. Yes Brisbane were out of form but we beat them at their home ground which stands for something. I agree we have a long way to go to challenge the top sides but at least we are heading in the right direction. Hard decisions at the end of the year will have to be made regarding some players and we must not back away from making those decisions if we are to succeed

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #227 on: June 20, 2010, 10:48:34 AM »
And finally, to the Brisbane supporters - we would have to be the noisiest interstate group of supporters going around.  My guess would be that about 5k of last night's 28k would have been Richmond supporters and the noise they made, made it appear that the figures were around 50/50.  Fair dinkum, our players would have thought it their own home game at times and the sound of the song reverberating throughout the Gabba after the game was just fantastic.  The roars you could hear on TV were not mistaken - our support at the game was huge for an interstate team sitting on the bottom of the ladder.

Good stuff you Brisbane located Tiger supporters (and those that travelled as well I suppose)

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #228 on: June 20, 2010, 10:52:24 AM »
Fev must still be injured after that performance, funniest thing I seen in a long time.

Although you would think for his 200th with the break coming up you would wait until you were 100%.

Tigermonk

« Reply #229 on: June 20, 2010, 11:27:52 AM »
As a supporter I was unhappy to see us turnover the footy on quite afew occassions tonights, the 2 x 50 metre penalties we gave away were undisciplined acts that cost us 2 goals and kept Brisbane in the match. There was other stuff, but overall I thought it was a very average match tonight, but the kids are winning so that in itself is valueable.

good post  :thumbsup

Tigermonk

« Reply #230 on: June 20, 2010, 11:33:22 AM »
another win  :clapping l could get used to this  ;D good feeling.
Raines has not changed a bit & l bet his guts is churning  :lol
Thought the lads were a bit wornout after halftime its been a big month  :thumbsup  :gotigers
Have a well earned rest

Can the mods please check the IP address of this poster, someone has hijacked Monkys account! ;D

Ramps my IP changes all the time  ;D so no point checking  :lol

Tigermonk

« Reply #231 on: June 20, 2010, 11:41:49 AM »
Well done to the boys  :clapping.  Beating the Lions up there is no easy thing especially when they are in finals contention.

Couldn't believe the umps, some more absolutely atrocious decisions especially later on in the game with Fev's mark ? and the two Lions dropping the ball cold.  Couldn't take a trick out there tonight.

The Lions are a slow slow side, players like Nason, White and Lids etc made them look silly at times.

At the game, the umpiring didn't seem nearly as bad as recent weeks Chuck but there were still the few obligatory howlers (that always seem to go against us).

And you are so right about them being slow, we ran them off their legs.  White, Nason, Deledio, Edwards, Farmer, Collins, Connors and Tambling all ran rings around their opponents with varying degrees of success at different times.  Some of my thoughts of the game:

Deledio will win his 3rd Jack Dyer medal by a big margin.  He is now starting to lead from the front and play very very well over 4 quarters.  He was tremendous last night.

Graham and Edwards have both made me eat humble pie this year.  Their improvement in the first 11 rounds has been terrific and shows how important the right development is for young players.

White is an underrated player who plays a very important role for the team, another who is showing the benefit of 'real' development.

Farmer is improving slowly and making it harder to mount a case for dropping him by the week.

Tambling was nowhere near as bad as many have said.  You really do have to see the game live to appreciate a lot of the little things - the gut running, the blocks and shepherds - that he now brings to his game.  I think some people might be making the mistake of judging him as the running midfielder we think he should be but his value to the team in a 'team' sense is underrated.

Nason - see Tambling re: gut running.  To play the type of game he is in his first year is quite outstanding.

Riewoldt is going to prove so many of his knockers wrong over his career.

Cousins is not done just yet.  Not saying he will or should get a gig next year but his output and value to the team last night was very good and very important.

Tuck is the poster boy for footballers doing whatever it takes to keep their career flame burning.  He has reinvented himself in such a way that it will be now very hard to consider anything else except a new deal come year's end.  He was fantastic last night.

Our backline are now starting to play as a real team.  The difference in the player's knowledge of the game plan and their efforts to stick to it, between the first game and last night is huge.  We are now winning games because our players have almost entirely obliterated the ingrained nightmare of the Wallace/Frawley eras characterised by the 'stop, prop, run backwards' ethos that saw us susceptible to every slight bit of pressure from the opposition.  We now take the opposition on with an increasing level of confidence in our team mates efforts to support us and when the opposition have the ball we now get in their faces, pressuring at every opportunity.  The difference between now and then is quite staggering, and all this on the back of very young and inexperienced kids.

I read some media reports of a "comical" game last night riddled with mistakes but that pays our team a great disservice by ignoring the effect of the pressure our tackling and hard running put on them at every opportunity.  We were much more committed, much more polished and nowhere near as "error-ridden" as our opposition.  The game was played on our terms and some inexperience is all that prevented a much greater winning margin.

And finally, to the Brisbane supporters - we would have to be the noisiest interstate group of supporters going around.  My guess would be that about 5k of last night's 28k would have been Richmond supporters and the noise they made, made it appear that the figures were around 50/50.  Fair dinkum, our players would have thought it their own home game at times and the sound of the song reverberating throughout the Gabba after the game was just fantastic.  The roars you could hear on TV were not mistaken - our support at the game was huge for an interstate team sitting on the bottom of the ladder.

As expected from you Ol Smokey a great post  :clapping  :thumbsup

? was that you with the yellow & black Balloon made hat sitting in the crowd l seen on the big screen  ;D

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #232 on: June 20, 2010, 11:45:54 AM »
As a supporter I was unhappy to see us turnover the footy on quite afew occassions tonights, the 2 x 50 metre penalties we gave away were undisciplined acts that cost us 2 goals and kept Brisbane in the match. There was other stuff, but overall I thought it was a very average match tonight, but the kids are winning so that in itself is valueable.

Ramps, the turnovers last night compared to our first game would be easily less than half.  We have improved out of sight in our skills and delivery in just 11 games with a team of kids.  It's like the media wankers writing us off as "worst team ever" after half a dozen games yet none of the fools looked at the little signs of improvement that were quite easy and plain to see if you took the time to look.  Don't judge this team on one single game or facet - look back at the season's end and then make the call.  I reckon you will be very satisfied with the improvement and direction.

I do agree wholeheartedly with your comment on the 50mt penalties, we need to improve in our on-field discipline at times.  But having said that, the Richmond of 2009 (or even early 2010) would have let the game slip at that point, so we keep learning and improving all the time.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #233 on: June 20, 2010, 11:50:37 AM »

? was that you with the yellow & black Balloon made hat sitting in the crowd l seen on the big screen  ;D

:lol  Nah TM, I'd be the silly old bearded and bald fool behind our goals in the top tier, jumping around like a 2 year old high-fiving anyone that ventured within my grid square.  I had a ball last night.

:gotigers

Tigermonk

« Reply #234 on: June 20, 2010, 11:58:36 AM »

:lol  Nah TM, I'd be the silly old bearded and bald fool behind our goals in the top tier, jumping around like a 2 year old high-fiving anyone that ventured within my grid square.  I had a ball last night.

:gotigers

Dont blame you  ;D let it all out.
The frustrations of seeing ugly football is slowing fading away to the back of my memory  ;D

Only Raines reminds me of dark days  ;D glad his got a new jumper  :rollin

Ramps

« Reply #235 on: June 20, 2010, 01:23:50 PM »
when I made the comment about players playing like millionaires it was about instances where they coughed up the ball looking for a smart alec type of play more disturbing was a couple of instances where our key defenders went looking for the big grab in the defensive 50 rather than punching. Can recall this cost us a goal or 2 - the kid that came in for Black, he made us look silly one or two times in this regard by outmarking our defenders and then going back and kicking the goal.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #236 on: June 20, 2010, 01:40:25 PM »
9 different goal scorers was a real positive for mine....much better than 3 weeks ago when we only had 2.
Unleash the tornado

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #237 on: June 20, 2010, 01:54:05 PM »
9 different goal scorers was a real positive for mine....much better than 3 weeks ago when we only had 2.

Yeah lets see the knockers come out now and say we are too Jack focused!!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Gigantor

« Reply #238 on: June 20, 2010, 02:09:46 PM »
The one thing that has stood out for me over these past 5 weeks,is that yes we still make errors and alot for that matter,but our decision making has improved tenfold and continues along this path.
I dont have the stats in front of me,but i wouldnt mind betting the error count of culprits like jackson,white,edwards,has decreased by a lot.
Even someone like Tuck who was prone to errors has improved by a lot.I have a theory about shane that he needs to keep his football simple...get it and kick/handball it.I think previously he was trying to be all things to all people,eg inside player,outside player,creative,3rd string ruckman etc etc..This boy needs it kept  nice and simple and he has excelled.
One other thing we are now almost the best in the league at clearances and have become a lonk kicking side.....Something i know us generation of the 70s is damn proud of and brings a smile to my face, anyway

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #239 on: June 20, 2010, 02:29:28 PM »
winning the clearances, the ability to win the contested football and long kicking have been important in us winning games. Keep it up