Author Topic: Coughlan in great shape  (Read 1989 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Coughlan in great shape
« on: November 30, 2004, 01:41:32 PM »
Coughlan in great shape
12:57:27 PM Tue 30 November, 2004
Paul Gough
Sportal

Forgotten Richmond star Mark Coughlan is in "great physical shape" and will be ready to play in the pre-season in a major boost to the Tigers' hopes of improving under new coach Terry Wallace in 2005.

Coughlan, the Tigers' best and fairest winner in 2003 and the public face of the club's membership campaign last season, endured a disastrous 2004 - playing just seven games due to on-going groin problems.

And when the tough midfielder was absent from the Tigers' launch of their new 2005 jumpers last week, it raised suspicions the 22-year-old was again battling injury problems.

Even when he did play last season, Coughlan was a shadow of the player who emerged as the Tigers' great hope in 2003, and was eventually rested for much of the season after being diagnosed with "pubic instability."

However Richmond football director Greg Miller told Sportal on Tuesday that Coughlan was progressing well and had suffered no more groin problems.

"He is in great physical shape," Miller said of Coughlan.

"He is not doing all the ball work at the moment but it won't be long before he is."

When asked if Coughlan would be ready for play in the Tigers' Wizard Cup on February 18, Miller replied: "Definitely."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=179203
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Coughlan in great shape
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 02:39:56 PM »
Was briefly at training yesterday.  Nothing much to report really.  Oh, except Cogs was out there.  Didn’t seem to be doing too much strenuous and didn’t join in with the main group(s).  Just did some running and stretching and had just picked up the footy as I was about to leave.

Was surprised at the number of people that were there.  You would’ve thought it was footy season or something.  Wish it was.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 03:56:49 PM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 04:25:41 PM »
Thanks for that report TS  :). I'm still a little bit concerned over Cogs but good to hear he was at training. As long as we get him 100% right that's all that matters no matter how long it takes.

As for the number of fans at training - there's a renewed spark at Punt Road that hasn't been there in yonks  :thumbsup.

Let's get this election over and done with and bring on what we're here for - the footy  8)

« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 05:05:26 PM by mightytiges »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 04:34:39 PM »

Let's get this election over and done with and bring on what we're hear for - the footy  8)

You mean it isn't political in fighting and instability :-\

;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 05:09:05 PM »

Let's get this election over and done with and bring on what we're hear for - the footy  8)

You mean it isn't political in fighting and instability :-\

;D

Oh and that too   

;D

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Cogs in for the Long Haul
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 01:04:34 PM »
Coughlan in for the long haul

05 December 2004   Sunday Herald Sun
Jon Ralph

DECEMBER sunshine basks Punt Rd Oval and the Richmond pre-season is in full swing. Coach Terry Wallace plays the jester, arching his back comically for his best goal umpiring impersonation and the squad hollers as Richo bangs another through post-high.

High-fives are thrown willy-nilly, banter flies thick and fast, and the feel-good vibe is infectious.

It is fitness achieved the easy way -- together with your mates, when anything is achievable in 2005 and the hurt of recent disappointments cast aside.

Mark Coughlan has done pre-seasons that way, but knows it is not for him.

The pain of ongoing groin complications means his pre-season training isn't about countless sprints and stride-throughs, but plenty of pain in a place his teammates have titled "The Dungeon".

It is a solitary, tedious existence in the new training base in Richmond's basement filled with swimming, bike riding, boxing and stretching.

But it is one Coughlan knows has him on track to make a full recovery from the dreaded osteitis pubis.

Coughlan has lofty ambitions -- he wants to be fit not only for Round 1 but Round 22, and whatever post-season action might follow.

Coughlan, 22, says the good news is that club medicos say he can make a full recovery from the complaint that restricted him to only seven games last year. The bad news is that it will not come easy.

"I wouldn't say I am back on the road quite yet," he said after another two-hour session of swimming and boxing with young tall Jay Schulz.

"It's been a long time since I have started running, but I am feeling pretty fit with my swimming and all the rehab I am doing. I think I will only need a month of solid running before I get back to solid fitness.

"I was probably right to start running a couple of weeks ago, but we have just been really careful and it's been a couple of months off running now.

"The aim is to have the body feeling really good and to be 100 per cent and to be feeling good about myself, and whether that is Round 1 or the first game of the Wizard Cup or Round 5, whatever . . ."

For Coughlan, famously picked instead of father-son candidate Jason Cloke in the 2000 draft, the highs have been rapturous but always accompanied by another injury clutching at his heels.

He is a game from the 50-match milestone, but to understand the expectation is to have witnessed his virtuoso performances in 2003.

Already a rising star on the back of a third in the 2002 best-and-fairest, Coughlan exploded.

Against the backdrop of another disappointing 7-15 season for the Tigers, the young No. 24 was suddenly blowing away some of the onball elite's best names.

If he was not winning the hard ball in close and distributing it 492 times with class and poise, he was a frenzied pursuer, diving full-length on to the loose ball, relentlessly dragging down opponents, harassing them into turnovers.

In the last game of the year he amassed 27 touches against Hawthorn and confirmed his first best-and-fairest award, but was also left with what seemed to be a slight groin strain. The rigors of his first pre-season resulted in him contracting osteitis pubis almost from the day he arrived at the club, but a careful rehab program had given him three injury-free years.

HE soon found the golden run couldn't continue.

"The first signs were in the last game of 2003," he said. "They went pretty quickly with the few weeks off we had and that 2004 pre-season I was fine.

"I had no dramas with it until before the Wizard Cup started and that created a few dramas because I was quite fit and I just got the signs at the wrong time.

"We were under the pump as a team and everyone was under pressure to perform well. I just wanted to be out there with the guys, but as it turned out it didn't really work out.

"In the end we just had to make a decision on it and I am glad we made that decision because now it's going to benefit me in the long run."

What followed was three months of rest that eventually allowed Coughlan to play the last two matches of the year.

He might not have hit his straps, but it gave him the knowledge his body could withstand the ravages of AFL football again.

A cautious approach means he is in no rush to train with the main group yet, but according to strength and conditioning coach Matt Hornsby wild horses could not stop him from getting into peak shape.

His weekly plan involves two hours a day of aerobic activity comprised of swimming, boxing, riding and rowing, as well as considerable core stability work.

Two yoga and four pilates sessions a week also continue to strengthen his fragile groin, with a return to running likely in the near future. "One of the great things about Mark is his work ethic," Hornsby said.

"We have been reasonably conservative with his preparation so far, but the progression to Christmas will be a little more rapid than the last six weeks."

Teammate Nathan Brown said if anyone deserved some luck with his body it was Coughlan.

"For someone as young I have never seen anyone demand excellence as much as he does and to have him back there with his hardness, his football smarts for his age, and his size around the pack and as a leader, he will be a fantastic inclusion this year," Brown said.

"For all the young guys coming through like (Brett) Deledio and (Richard) Tambling, if they watch Mark Coughlan I think they can get a good grounding on how far they can go in three or four years."

Even if he does not hit Round 1 with a full running regime under his belt, Coughlan said he could make an impact again in 2005.

"I have had a good chat to Joel Bowden who went through this last year and you look at the year he had and it gives you a lot of confidence knowing that you don't have to have a full pre-season to have a good season," he said. "I don't think Joel started back running until after Christmas. People were jumping on his back and he certainly turned it around."

A three-year contract extension means Coughlan's future is at Punt Rd, but he says talk of captaincy is premature.

First there is the matter of proving to his teammates again he can be a consistent performer and match-winner.

"If you are the captain or vice-captain of an AFL club, it means you are consistent for a good few years and I haven't done that, so before you start talking about leadership and that sort of thing you need to have at least two or three good years under your belt," he said. "That is what my aim is to do."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,11592688%255E19742,00.html

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Cogs in for the Long Haul
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 01:09:53 PM »
Coughlan in for the long haul

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,11592688%255E19742,00.html

This article is disgusting and an absolute disgrace

Fair dinkum why would any newspaper want to write about a player at the RFC and a decent one at that???

What's next a story on our Richo, Stafford, Bowden, Raines, Rodan or heaven forbid Alex Gilmour & Kyle Archibald.  :help

Are they not aware that all we are about is turmoil, politics, elections and finger pointing.

Very poor effort indeed

:lol :rollin ;) :thumbsup :rollin

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 06:15:02 PM »
Fingers crossed for the young champ  :bow. As next year will most likely be a write-off as we develop our young kids there's no need to rush Cogs back. Round 1, 5, 10, whatever, it doesn't matter when he comes back as long as he's 100% over this groin injury if his. 

Hmmm....maybe we should make a ultimatum to these whining boardroom battlers of ours. Work together or it's down to the "The Dungeon" for you  :thumbsup  ;D.