Author Topic: Coburg vs Port Melbourne, Sat. July 3  (Read 2217 times)

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Coburg vs Port Melbourne, Sat. July 3
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2010, 01:50:14 AM »
Morts played well, ran hard all day and kicked a ripper goal in front of the Port crowd in the 3rd qtr.

Spent most of the game on the ball/wing.

Rob Hicks had a great game also, probably best in the 1st half.

Rance and Gourdis were very solid down back.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2010, 02:07:40 AM »
Good to see some of the Richmond players doing really well. :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2010, 03:53:19 AM »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2010, 09:56:08 AM »
Morts played well, ran hard all day and kicked a ripper goal in front of the Port crowd in the 3rd qtr.

Interesting comments TFL (agree about the goal) - I thought Mitch was alot better today than in previous games I've watched but I thought he was just good, not in the best as the papers are reporting. A couple of times his attempts at chasing were again disappointing.

Thought Hicks was best on ground today , great effort

I spend most of my time worrying about the kid getting broken in half to be honest. Has great courage, good skills but gee he is tiny. It's interesting again I thought he was good but not in the bests

so Nahas kicked 1 or 3 ?
1, according to sporting pulse!

COuld have sworn he kicked at least 2 OH WELL  :P  ;D I really enjoyed his game yesterday. He played mainly as a mid-fielder which is fine in the VFL but I wouldn't do it in the AFL. Also have to remember he was playing against his old team

The VFL site's stats and bests.....

2010 VFL Seniors

BEST:
Coburg Tigers: RANCE Power Morton Carnell Hicks GOURDIS

https://reg.sportingpulse.com/olr_v3/rpt_progressive.cgi?aID=8&pg=1&a=MR_

Hmmm again interesting ... Yes Sam Power got a lot of the ball but gee at times he butchers it, hence why I didn't rate him in the best.

I thought Goo was solid but not in the best, I thought he struggled a couple of times on the big (and I mean BIG) power Port forwards. Not as good as previous games I've seen but still solid

but hey everyone's entitled to their opinion

The Coburg seniors match must have been pretty fiesty as two Port Melbourne players were reported.

REPORTED PLAYERS:
Port Melbourne: Player 22 (C. Sinclair) charging player 42 (J. ORielly), Player 21 (P. Raymond) striking player 2 (N. Carnell)
Coburg Tigers: Nil

Have to say the player reported for charging O'Reilly shouldn't have been a report. All that was needed was a 50m penalty but it seems this week it all about showing us they still carry their pencil and notebooks  ::) Having said that the kid will probably get 3 weeks  :-\

Now, can you tell me how young Rhett Jordon went?

Hardly noticed him 1965. So I really cannot comment.

It was the 12/10 rule yesterday so they may explain why he got a senior game (I don't go the reserves games these days so I don't now how he's been travelling).

And BTW I am deadset against the 12/10 rule always have been. Players that shouldn't get dropped and players who may not deserve to get a game get a game

Now just one other thing on Jordie McMahon

There was what I would call a defining moment in the game bascially sums up why Jordie is running around in the VFL as opposed to the AFL IMHO

This is it:

Ball has been kicked and has missed a target therefore is bouncing free in the centre of the ground. Jordie and a Port bloke are running at it. Jordie has to go about 4-5 paces to get the ball, he grabs it, Port bloke bearing down, as the Port bloke gets closer Jordie knows he is about to be grabbed, he chooses to NOT take the tackle and handballs the ball up in the air over the opponents head to no-one and into open space, another Port player swoops in picks the ball boots it 45 metres to the Port forward line and it results in a goal, score is 8 points the difference.

Bottom line IMHO is Jordie had to take that tackle, he wouldn't have been pinged for holding the ball as he had no prior opportunity and even if he gets pinged it gives time to his team-mates to man up. But again he chose not and as said IMHO it is these types of situations that has Jordie in the VFL because yesterday at the particular time it was his time to "go" and he didn't
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2010, 10:24:28 AM »
He didn't really stand out but I like the look of Grimes. Could be a real smokie when he puts on a bit of muscle.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2010, 06:51:11 PM »
Round 11 Match Report
Coburg Tigers website

Seniors

We ventured down to TEAC Oval Port Melbourne to try a register up a win against a team we have not had a senior win against in 4 years.

It was a dour struggle for the first 2 quarters and was basically goal for goal,but we came out after the main break and had a great 3rd quarter and put our mark on the game.

Port kicked the first goal in the final quarter but we did not panic and through some great goals from Hicks and Carnell,we came away with a 4 goal win.

It is our 3rd win against a top 5 side and had we been able to turn some of those close losses into wins,we could be sitting in the top 6.

We can still make the finals,but we would have to win 4 of the next 7 games at least and hope other results go our way.

Best: Power(42 possessions), Nahas (31 possessions and 5 goal assists), Gourdis, Rance, Browne, Webberley and Rayson

Goals:Hicks 4, Lawton 3, Carnell 3, Morton 2, Webberley 2, Polo, Fewster, Nahas, Jordon

Reserves  

After a disappointing game against Werribee last week,the boys were keen to show it was just a bad day and wanted to put up a good effort against Port Melbourne who were sitting in 4th spot.

This game was very similar to the Senior game in the way it was played and some players have put their hands up for promotion to the Senior team.

Christian McErlain has now played 5 games back after suffering 2 hamstring strains and will be looked at this week.

Murphy Ambrose has also been consistent over the last 5 weeks and is putting pressure on Senior team mates.

Pat Contin has been unlucky not to play more senior games,but with a strong midfield in the seniors it has been hard for him but he has not let that get to him and was again a good player.

Hamish Dahl was important in the 2nd half after suffering a severe gash to his head that require numerous stitches.

Other good players were Taylor,Duhau,Warren and Wood.

Goals: Duhau 3, Westhoff 2, Dennis 2, Taylor, Contin, Lucin, Gilligan, Smith, Warren  Ambrose, Wood

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-118-10471-102874-9815591&sID=56260&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=12590020&sectionID=56260