Author Topic: Simmonds move received Bell's blessing  (Read 2375 times)

Bulluss

Simmonds move received Bell's blessing
« on: October 28, 2004, 03:14:29 PM »
Richmond recruit Troy Simmonds has revealed he sought regular advice from former teammate and Fremantle captain Peter Bell to help him make a decision on his playing future.

Simmonds, 26, said at Punt Rd on Thursday morning that Bell was able to empathise with his situation.

"I spoke to Belly a lot and he's been fantastic because he said to me, 'this is the exact same situation I was in when I came from North to Freo'," Simmonds said.

"He said, 'I'd love you to stay because you're a good person and I'd love you to be part of our team, but I fully understand if you want to go back home and play out your footy there'.

"All of the players, I can say were (supportive, which included) the older types and the leadership (group, who) were understanding of the situation. They were obviously disappointed I've gone, but really understanding so they've been great."

Simmonds, who has played 104 matches since he made his AFL debut with Melbourne in 1999, said he made his decision to return to his native state before the end-of-season footy trip.

"It was a pretty tough couple of weeks actually because I came down to Melbourne to speak to a few clubs and then I went back to Perth and I was trying to make a decision and my manager came over and my family came over and helped me out a bit," Simmonds said.

"Obviously the security is very handy, but it was more of a family decision as well."

Although he indicated Carlton was pursuing him, he said Richmond coach Terry Wallace, assistant Brian Royal and director of football Greg Miller visited him in Perth before finalising the deal.

Simmonds added that Wallace's confidence in him was a major factor in moving to Punt Rd.

"I'm looking forward to it and it's another really good challenge. I had a really good time over at Fremantle and living in WA and I got a chance to really build my career over there and I did that and I'm looking forward to coming back to my home state," Simmonds said.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=176301

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Simmonds move received Bell's blessing
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 06:15:08 PM »
Remember Troy to tell Brad to bring along his rubber ducky when you give him a bath in round 1  :thumbsup.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Simmonds keen on his role in Tiger revolution
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 12:27:57 AM »
Simmonds keen on his role in Tiger revolution
By Dan Oakes
The Age
October 29, 2004

For new Tiger Troy Simmonds, the chance to hitch his wagon to the Terry Wallace revolution was too good to pass up.

When the 26-year-old ruckman decided that he wanted to return to his home town, his name was linked to several clubs, including Carlton, which he supported as a boy.

But spurred on by the departure of Brad Ottens to Geelong, Richmond snared Simmonds on the last day of trading in a deal in which Aaron Fiora went to St Kilda and Saint Heath Black returned to the Dockers.

Yesterday the former Demon, who played 64 games in three years with the Dockers, said that the winds of change sweeping along Punt Road convinced him that the Tigers were right for him.

"Richmond were really keen on me. With Terry coming on board and the changes they're making, it's a bit like when I went to Freo, when Chris Connolly came on board and made a lot of changes," Simmonds said.

"I think that what (Wallace) has done in the past with the Western Bulldogs is very good. He's been out of coaching for a couple of years and he would have learnt a lot. I just like the way he goes about it and the way he sees me playing my role gives me a lot of confidence."

Simmonds was also attracted by Wallace's plans to play him in the ruck rather than as a key forward. He spent time around the forward 50 with the Dockers last season, bagging 35 goals, but never looked entirely comfortable.

"If someone asked me where I really wanted to play my footy, it would be more as a ruckman/forward than a forward/ruckman (and) Terry's given me an opportunity to do that here," Simmonds said.

Richmond's offer of a five-year deal was a factor in Simmonds' decision to head east, with the Dockers willing to put only four years on the table.

Despite the difference in opinion causing tension between player and club, Simmonds said that he looked back on his time at Fremantle with fondness. During his three years in the West, the Dockers shrugged off their tag of easy-beats, playing their first finals series and shedding their "soft" reputation.

Simmonds sought counsel from senior players at the club while making his decision and yesterday paid tribute to Dockers skipper Peter Bell, whom he described as "fantastic".

"He said to me, 'This was the exact same situation I was in, coming from North to Freo. I'd love you to stay because you're a good person and I want you to be part of our team. But I'll fully understand if you want to go back home and play footy there,' " Simmonds said.

"All the players, I have to say, the older types and the leadership players were really understanding of the situation. They're obviously disappointed that I've gone, but they've been great."

The new Tiger also drew parallels between the rebuilding process by Connolly at the Dockers over the past three years and the task facing Wallace in overhauling Richmond's culture of underachievement.

"It's all part of the process, and (similar to) Fremantle, what we've done since myself and Chris and others got there in the last three years, slowly building up," Simmonds said.

"I reckon we've got a little bit more experience at Richmond with the older players and some good young players coming through, and obviously with the draft coming up we're going to get some good young talent. It will be a building process but I'm looking forward to it."

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/10/28/1098667908274.html?oneclick=true

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Simmonds keen on his role in Tiger revolution
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 12:39:23 AM »
"I reckon we've got a little bit more experience at Richmond with the older players and some good young players coming through, and obviously with the draft coming up we're going to get some good young talent. It will be a building process but I'm looking forward to it."

Isn't it refreshing to hear from a ruckman at Tigerland that he wants to play for us and he can see forward to a bright future. Also good to hear a realistic assessment of where we're at from one of our players. No silly talk of aiming for the top 4. Troy seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

With Graham shoving off to the US, Otto may have done a Buckley  ;)

Ox

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 01:02:10 AM »
If Graham keeps his level of fitness at a decent standard over the next 12 months
and basically doesn't cut it,would he be a free agent should he choose to return to AFL or
does Geelong have first choice,Oh wise ones ?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 01:33:17 AM »
If Graham keeps his level of fitness at a decent standard over the next 12 months
and basically doesn't cut it,would he be a free agent should he choose to return to AFL or
does Geelong have first choice,Oh wise ones ?

He would return as a free agent although I'd reckon 12 months out of the AFL at age 30 would most likely end his AFL career. Just look at Carey and Lockett. They were never the same players when they came back.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Tigers get a kick start with Troy
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 02:02:44 AM »
Tigers get a kick start with Troy
29 October 2004   
Herald Sun
Damian Barrett

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,11220462%255E20322,00.html

Given Richmond's holding of the wooden spoon, the Tigers' passionate supporters and the club's decision to outlay significant capital in obtaining Simmonds' signature, internal expectations will be as high on Simmonds as any other AFL player.

"I am looking forward to that (the pressure), it's a challenge," Simmonds said.

"I enjoyed my time in Fremantle, had a chance to build my career over there and I did that, and now I am looking forward to coming back to my home state with one of the big four clubs.

"There are supporters out there waiting for us to start winning games."

----------------------------------------------

As long as we keep on this current path of cleaning out and rebuilding properly without taking any shorcuts we'll be patient.

Wouldn't mind a win in round 1 though  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Troy on snakes, the ladder and his big Tiger challenge
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 02:14:40 PM »
This is the Troy Simmonds article from the FTB:

-----------------------------

Troy on snakes, the ladder and his big Tiger challenge
10:40:58 AM Wed 8 December, 2004
richmondfc.com.au

Richmond's Media Manager, Tony Greenberg, goes head-to-head with new Richmond ruckman Troy Simmonds . . .

Tony Greenberg: Why did you choose Richmond as your new football home?

Troy Simmonds: First of all, it was a pretty tough decision because there were a number of clubs I’d spoken to. But I just felt that Richmond had a pretty good list and the only way they are going to go is up. The changes they’ve made – obviously with Terry (Wallace) and the coaching staff and that sort of thing – really did attract me. I saw it happen at Fremantle with a developing list. Chris (Connolly) came in and did something similar. So that was another factor for me . . . I really enjoyed the type of development program we had at Fremantle.

TG: What sort of pressure were you under in that week leading up to you being traded to Tigerland?

TS: It was probably one of the hardest weeks of my life. It took me a lot of time to actually make a decision. I had my family over in Perth to help me with it, and once I had made a decision I just thought I’d go away on the footy trip, enjoy it with the guys and let them all know then. But Fremantle tried to make another play for me, and a few other clubs did, too. I was a bit disappointed Fremantle came in then after I’d already made the decision. And then St Kilda tried to come in as well. They were all ringing my dad, so he was under pressure . . . they were trying to get in contact with me, but they got hold of him a lot. But I’d committed to the decision and I was happy with the decision. People asked me why I didn’t go to St Kilda, them being in premiership mode. But I’m looking to be in the (Richmond) team for the next five years and play out my career here. I want to build up to it with a bunch of guys and come through together to play regular finals footy.

TG: What does Terry Wallace have in store for you next season?

TS: He pretty much wants to play me in the ruck, and now that I can go forward, I can rest down there. I prefer to predominantly play in the ruck. Not saying I didn’t enjoy playing forward at Fremantle, but in their team I was sort of the only one who could hold down a key forward position. So, I did that and I learned a lot playing forward . . . I think that will help me in the future, being able to play ruck and push forward.

TG: How important was the security of the long-term deal offered by Richmond?

TS: For them to throw that at me showed a lot of faith in me and I’m really looking forward to the challenge. My body’s holding up pretty well and, hopefully, I can pay the Club back over the next few years . . .

TG: You seem to thrive on the physical side of the game. Is that a fair assessment of your playing style?

TS: I suppose being a leader at Fremantle I tried to develop that (aggression) with our young group there. Being a big guy, and around the middle of the ground, I think you do need someone quite physical at the contests to help the smaller guys out. But I also like running around the ground. My mobility around the ground is what I like to base my game on . . . I try to link up as another midfielder, as well as push forward and kick goals.

TG: Does Richmond’s proud history and tradition mean much to a seasoned campaigner like yourself who’s now at his third league club?

TS: That was another reason I was so keen to come to Richmond. I see them as one of the big four Victorian clubs, along with Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood. So, yeah, I appreciate that tradition and the Tiger supporters get right into it, which is great. You look at all the Richmond-Essendon, Richmond-Carlton games over the years . . . it’s going to be huge. Probably growing up as a kid in Melbourne, and seeing that, it’s what I wanted to play in. I suppose over at Fremantle, being such a new club, I didn’t have that opportunity, so I’m really looking forward to it now.

TG: What are your early impressions of your new teammates at Tigerland?

TS: They’ve all been fantastic . . . a real good bunch so far.

TG: How do you feel about shaping up against Brad Ottens and Geelong in the opening round next season?

TS: I suppose there will be a fair bit of interest in that game. I got along with Brad well and hope he does well over there – but hopefully we can knock them off . . .

TG: No interview with you, Troy, would be complete without a question about your pet snakes. How are they going?

TS: They’ve been in Melbourne for the last three years while I’ve been in Perth. So I’ve had to reacquaint myself with them. I’ve only got three left now – I used to have 10-12. But obviously with me being in Perth, a friend of mine couldn’t look after all of them, so we decided to sell them off. I’ve just got pythons now.

TG: Any plans to bring the pythons into Punt Road for a little visit?

TS: I played the odd trick on teammates when I was at Melbourne. I’ll wait till I settle in a bit more before I do anything similar at Richmond.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=179892

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Troy on snakes, the ladder and his big Tiger challenge
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 03:21:17 PM »
TG: Any plans to bring the pythons into Punt Road for a little visit?

TS: I played the odd trick on teammates when I was at Melbourne. I’ll wait till I settle in a bit more before I do anything similar at Richmond.

If and when a joke is played I hope someone has a camera handy ;D

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)