Author Topic: Letter from O'Shannassy  (Read 5150 times)

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
Re: Letter from O'Shannassy
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2004, 07:55:44 PM »

I'd like to know if you're there until the election is over, or if you're going to be on the board for the next 5 seasons. Doesnt say anything about this in your letter.

why should he have to?

he is simply stating his background (which is excellent and exactly what we need) and the reasons why he is running on Casey's ticket.
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2004, 08:23:28 PM »
The importance of this point is that I strongly believe that if you are on a board for a length of time, then you should accept a degree of responsibility for the performance of that board.  In particular, if you are on, or are Chairman of a committee of that board, then you accept even greater responsibility for the performance of that particular aspect of the Board's activities.

Back in my uni days I did a subject called Business Ethics and I read a book called "Above the bottom Line" by Robert C. Solomon (1994). From that book I took a saying that I have on a card that I carry around in my briefcase because it has and still is so relevant for me in my career.

"The key question of responsibility is not so much who is repsonsible but rather what are the responsibilities that each person has." (page 261)

Maurice O'Shannassy is basically saying the same thing.

I find it ironic I have been harping for over 6 months about certain former board members not taking responsibility for their time on the board and now it is being highlighted it would appear almost everywhere. It's been an issue for me since the beginning: now it seems to be an issue for others and I say thank goodness.

Finger pointing will carry you so far. It so easy to throw your hands up the air and say "It wasn't my fault" or the classic "it aint my job". But in the end every person who has been a member of the RFC board for the last 2 years (remember we keep getting told the last 2 years we have lost $3 million) needs to take responsiblity - those who have chosen not too - never had any chance of getting my vote.

Maurice O'Shannassy would appear to have great credentials, an understanding of buiness and above all else he would seem to have a good handle on the faults of our club (this is highlighted by his comment about more positive decisions in the last 6 months than the last 20 years). I think you could call him a true Tiger because he can see that :thumbsup

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2004, 01:17:15 AM »

Mr O'Shannassy looks like a good acquisition.

Last time I said that, it was about the Motorola guy. And I do believe he lasted less than half a season on the board.

Thanks for the letter sir. I'd like to know if you're there until the election is over, or if you're going to be on the board for the next 5 seasons. Doesnt say anything about this in your letter.

Nicklos (the Motorola guy) was appointed to the board at that time whereas O'Shannassy is asking the members to be elected for a term of 3 years. I would say he's put himself in for the long haul. I agree 1980 he sounds like he'll be a good acquisition to the board if he gets up.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline disco08

• Tiger Rookie
  • They're real, and they're spectacular
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2004, 11:50:07 AM »
Posting on a fan website (no matter what you all think of it) is also a big step in the right direction. For too long has Casey and his board kept members at arms length.

FWIW, I voted for O'Shannassy, and Rob Dalton, who also has good credentials. I didn't vote for Casey, Schwab or Welsh. I picked the nine candidates I thought wee most impressive. Alot say that voting for a mixed board is a waste of time because if members of the losing ticket are elected they will not stand. I don't necessarily agree with this in all scenarios, and at least this way, if enough members vote as I have, we will find out who is there because they want to help the RFC, and who is there for other reaons.