Author Topic: The media need to control their Cousins addiction (Age)  (Read 379 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The media need to control their Cousins addiction (Age)
« on: July 07, 2010, 05:30:12 PM »
The media need to control their Cousins addiction
Joseph Sapienza
July 7, 2010 - 3:44PM

So the media circus surrounding Ben Cousins has officially hit new heights.

The "recovering drug addict" – who else is sick of this term – was rumoured to be holding a press conference outside Epworth Hospital in Melbourne yesterday after he was discharged from intensive care.

He had had an adverse reaction to a sleeping tablet.

But to the shock and dismay of the throng of scribes and TV crews milling outside the hospital, Cousins somehow "gave them the slip".

The 4.30pm news on Channel Nine began its bulletin with a live cross to a reporter outside the hospital for the "latest" on Cousins. All she could reveal was that he had been discharged, didn't speak with media and "nobody knows where he is right now".

How dare he? How dare he not stop and chat? After all, we are concerned about his health.

Please, the media is not concerned one bit. Their only priority is to grill him about his movements after Richmond's comeback win over Sydney at the MCG on Sunday.

"Did you go out on a bender? What did you drink, Ben? How much did you drink? Did you take more than a 'cocktail' of caffeine and sleeping pills? Did you have any drugs? Who were you with, Ben?"

But Cousins gave them "the slip". I bet he would love to give them a lot more... well, more than the middle finger he gave a camera at Subiaco Oval last year that had the media typically drooling and the AFL red-faced.

Let's be honest, did the media honestly think Cousins would want to spend five or more minutes answering questions inherently linked to his dark past immediately after setting foot outside Epworth?

What kind of sound-minded person – superstar or Joe Public – would want to run the gauntlet of the press and risk looking desperate in trying to defend his or her name?

A "press conference" would have shattered him because, unlike the golden rule of the court, he is always presumed to be the bad boy - whether he's been rushed to hospital, involved in a mini-fracas with a teammate or at a boxing match.

When you lay the facts on the table, Cousins is not dissimilar to someone coming under the scrutiny of Western Australia's backward "proceeds of crime" laws, where the police target has to prove he/she has acquired that wealth legally to avoid it being seized. It is a sheer reversal in the onus of proof.

Meanwhile, as Cousins wallowed in intensive care with his life "in danger", the media train took off in earnest and began (b)oozing speculation.

Did we tell you, us journalists love speculation, especially when it concerns pin-up boy Cuz, on another bender. Imagine the sales of newspapers proclaiming the "inside story" of Benny's wild night on the town.

The media hysteria hit Beatles-like proportions yesterday when some pundits questioned Cousins' enthusiasm post-game on the ground, then in the change rooms next to his coach Damien Hardwick for the club song. Even his boisterous interview with ex-West Coast player and teammate Scott Cummings, now a boundary rider for Radio 3AW, was scrutinised.

I doubt the experts read much into it before he was rushed to Epworth but, after he was, they trawled through the footage, and bingo! There's Benny kicking up his heels, belting out a rousing rendition of the Tigers' song. The plot thickened, they rubbed their hands with glee and the puzzle was complete.

Some of those experts couldn't even get Cousins' age right (he turned 32 on June 30) ... but everyone had a "fact" on what floored the former Eagles captain this time around.

Surely he wasn't simply savouring a rare but important win with his young teammates, coaches and a club who all gave him a second chance? No way, once a bad boy, always a bad boy.

Although that error with his age was minute, this is one dangerous and very common example where the public is misled and misinformed when speculation and hearsay supersedes the bare and, albeit sometimes boring, facts.

It is worth noting Richmond has handled this incident – like it did earlier this year when he was admitted to hospital for a stomach complaint – extremely well.

The club, under a new and refreshed board, has been open and accountable from day one. They knew Cousins came with baggage... but even they must be bemused at the intense interest in his health.

Which is what it all comes down to really. The constant and vicious pursuit of Cousins – which luckily did not continue yesterday outside Epworth – will inevitably harm him.

Being an AFL star must be stressful in itself, but trying to control your "inner demons" - as Cousins once called his ongoing battle - while being harassed at every corner (and intensive care unit) by self-serving journos who probably couldn't comprehend his current mental state is downright dangerous, neglectful and stupid.

He is not 100 per cent healthy and still at risk. And he is human after all, a fragile one trying to live a normal life.

The fact he came out of intensive care and immediately urged the AFL to drug test him so he can clear his name shows he has had enough and could be at breaking point.

Is that what the media want? Because they are doing their best.

But it is a circus after all. Anything goes, as long as it entertains. Even if someone's life is at risk.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/blogs/western-eyes/the-media-need-to-control-their-cousins-addiction/20100707-zzj8.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: The media need to control their Cousins addiction (Age)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 08:05:51 PM »
Benny Gale said so much on Footy Classified at the start of the season about the media's obsession with Cousins.

The Cousins Show is so true
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: The media need to control their Cousins addiction (Age)
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 08:21:16 PM »
"Being an AFL star must be stressful in itself, but trying to control your "inner demons" - as Cousins once called his ongoing battle - while being harassed at every corner (and intensive care unit) by self-serving journos who probably couldn't comprehend his current mental state is downright dangerous, neglectful and stupid."

I wonder if this point has been made to the Ages "senior football writer".
Laugh at the irony of football journos calling players role models and then going off half cocked themselves.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”