Author Topic: Axe to grind  (Read 1901 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Axe to grind
« on: December 13, 2004, 02:28:35 AM »
It's amusing seeing the media publish the gripes of the few people on the planet who don't like Miller. First the bloke who sold or was told to sell Carey for only $10,000 coming out after 17 years and today we've got some North Melbourne dude having his 2 cents worth. IMO all it does is come across as sour grapes given the timing of their statements.

Tomorrow's exclusive will be the bloke who as a chubby kid reckons Miller pushed him over in the school playground and stole his last paddle pop  ;D.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Life goes on

Re: Axe to grind
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 05:42:54 AM »
No, you will find the bloke that owns SEN ( the EX Board member at North ) might tip a bigger bucket over Greg this week. ::)

froars

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 07:03:13 AM »
He's the guy Greg apparently didn't support for president when Ron Casey passed away and it went to Aylett i think.
Wonder why he allowed him to be interviewed on SEN the other day.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Axe to grind - Miller Warning
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 09:29:41 AM »
Miller warning
By Damian Barrett
December 13, 2004

RICHMOND supporters have been warned against empowering Greg Miller with a board position by a Kangaroos director who claims Miller left the Roos in poor financial shape.

Kangaroos powerbroker Peter de Rauch said Miller's decision to join president Clinton Casey's board ticket was another example of him acting outside his job description.

"Don't take this as a comment on the Richmond board election, but I can not understand what Greg is carrying on with, given his track record at North," De Rauch said.

"When he left North we were in debt, and what he is doing now is a carbon copy of what he did at North.

"Casey gets up and says they are profitable three years ago; Miller gets there and what has happened since then?

"They have gone down the drain financially."

De Rauch, who has injected money into the struggling Kangaroos, said Miller's board push was all wrong.

"He is an employee. He might have a good football brain, but that is where he should stay, in football," De Rauch said.

"He shouldn't be going anywhere near the board. He did that at North, too, spent two years trying to get on the board."

However, Mark Dawson, a director of the Kangaroos during Miller's time as chief executive, said whatever problems the club might have encountered should not be attributed to Miller.

"The board runs the footy club, the board is responsible for what goes on and as far as I am concerned as a footy club, we did well during that time," Dawson said. "We were very successful, played in three Grand Finals, two premierships. Greg and Peter have problems with each other."

For his part, Miller would say only that De Rauch's comments should be ignored because they came from a long-time adversary.

"This election has got so low that they have picked out the one man in 34 years of football who has an axe to grind against me," Miller said.

De Rauch said Miller's attachment to Clinton Casey was similar to his working relationship with former Roos' chairman Ron Casey.

"He is not getting on the Richmond board because of his football nous; he is getting on there to help Casey and he thinks he is a board member and he can do everything terrific," De Rauch said.

"He already has the role of football manager. There is no need to do anything more."

De Rauch said Miller also owed it to the Kangaroos to refrain from seeking to join the board of a rival club.

"Greg was made a life member of North Melbourne," he said.

"Now, you don't mind if a life member goes somewhere else and works as an employee, that's fine, but you just don't go and try to get on the board.

"What is the use of him being a life member of North Melbourne for so-called services, and then he goes on to another club's board?"

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,11669862%255E23211,00.html

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Axe to grind - Miller Warning
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 09:38:38 AM »
I have posted about this on BF - so some of the words will be the same ;D

======

"Don't take this as a comment on the Richmond board election, but I can not understand what Greg is carrying on with, given his track record at North," De Rauch said.

Then what is it exactly? Especially considering the timing  :banghead

However, Mark Dawson, a director of the Kangaroos during Miller's time as chief executive, said whatever problems the club might have encountered should not be attributed to Miller.

"The board runs the footy club, the board is responsible for what goes on and as far as I am concerned as a footy club, we did well during that time," Dawson said. "We were very successful, played in three Grand Finals, two premierships. Greg and Peter have problems with each other."

Really they have problems with each other - never have guessed that :help Though it would appear from this report Mr De Rauch is the one with the problems with Greg Miller. I haven't seen Miller revert to gutter politics and smear campaigns

For his part, Miller would say only that De Rauch's comments should be ignored because they came from a long-time adversary.

"This election has got so low that they have picked out the one man in 34 years of football who has an axe to grind against me," Miller said.

So very low it is embarassing IMHO and quite frankly I am sick of it :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

De Rauch said Miller also owed it to the Kangaroos to refrain from seeking to join the board of a rival club.

"Greg was made a life member of North Melbourne," he said.

"Now, you don't mind if a life member goes somewhere else and works as an employee, that's fine, but you just don't go and try to get on the board.

"What is the use of him being a life member of North Melbourne for so-called services, and then he goes on to another club's board?"

Huh ???

What the............... :help :help please explain :help :banghead :help :banghead :help

Talk about ending with desperate pot shots

Ox

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 12:45:44 PM »
the alternatives methods have been most entertaining,if u like partying in a gutter.

This story and the one in the hun about Miller not discovering Carey !!!FFS!

It symbolises their ticket -desperate.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 12:47:27 PM »
the alternatives methods have been most entertaining,if u like partying in a gutter.

This story and the one in the hun about Miller not discovering Carey !!!FFS!

It symbolises their ticket -desperate.

Hey Oxman you seem soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cynical.........

Not that I blame you :thumbsup

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 01:18:19 PM »
Whatever grudges others may have with Miller don’t make any difference to me.  Both sides in this election could be even when it comes to financial planning, strategy and all the rest of it.

But  problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

To me, the current Board has shown a new level of awareness that the alternative ticket couldn’t find, even if it were gift wrapped and handed to them.

And even if they could fix the financial side of things, I couldn’t be confident that they could help the players and footy department to the degree needed.  If anything, they could just stifle what has been started now and take us back to where we were before.  You can see it in the way they have handled this whole campaign.

The point of difference, for me, is that the current Board has Miller.  He may not be the messiah, but from what I can see he has done more, in a short time, than anyone over the previous 20 years to help change the culture at RFC.

If he were on the alternative’s side, I’d go with him, because he offers RFC what none of the others from either side do.  What’s even worse is that they don’t even seem to think there was anything wrong with the culture of the place.  Hence them living out that culture in the way they have run and organised their campaign.

The alternative group has failed to recognise the real issues and just focused on the finances.  People like me aren’t all that interested in finances.

If the footy department doesn’t work then having money in the bank isn’t any compensation.  What satisfaction did we get through the 90’s that we had money in the bank, but the playing culture was going backwards at a rate of knots, before our eyes?

When we get our act together on the field, we will know that we have our act together off the field.

But from what they’ve written and said, the alternative group just doesn’t recognise this.  Especially when they think that paying 100% of the TPP is what will keep and attract players to this club.  Are they for real?

Seems to me like they have no idea about what makes a footy club tick and the impact the Board has in creating and providing the culture that determines how much success we achieve, both on and off the field.  From what they have shown to now, they could easily put the brakes on any advancement already made in this area.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.