Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt wants to be a Tiger for life  (Read 2602 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jack Riewoldt wants to be a Tiger for life
« on: July 20, 2010, 04:07:29 PM »
Jack Riewoldt wants to be a Tiger for life

* AAP
    * July 20, 2010 3:33PM

STAR forward Jack Riewoldt says Richmond is on its way to becoming an AFL "powerhouse" and he wants to play out his career at Punt Rd.

The Coleman Medal leader, like gun first-year midfielder Dustin Martin, comes out of contract at the end of next season, when expansion club Greater Western Sydney can swoop.

But the 21-year-old, who has 61 goals this year, including 46 in the past nine games, is passionately committed to his current club.

"I'm a happy Tiger and will be for life, I reckon," Riewoldt said today.

"It's something that questions are going to be asked, obviously I'm coming out of contract next year when GWS do come in.

"But it's something that we're trying to do with all our players down here is develop this culture that we're one team.

"I've got some great mates down here ... it's something that we're building together.

"When you look at sides like Geelong, St Kilda, they've come through as a group together and they haven't lost any names from their drafts. It's something that we're building on."

Riewoldt said captain Chris Newman had been instrumental in generating the bond that had the group determined to stay united to experience the ultimate success.

"We've just got this driving force that we're going to be good in two to three years time and we're going to be a powerhouse of the AFL," he said.

To that end, Riewoldt said results such as Sunday's disappointing 50-point loss to North Melbourne were viewed more as learning opportunities than setbacks.

"Results don't really bother us too much this year," he said.

Riewoldt predicted his own prime was still two or three years away, by which time he expected the development of the club's younger key forwards to have created an imposing attack.

"At the moment the stats show there's a lot of ball going my way," he said.

"But we're looking into the future, we've got Benny Griffiths, who got five games under his belt this year, David Astbury, they're first-year players.

"In two or three years time when those guys have got big solid bodies and got pre-seasons under their belt and 40 to 50 games then we're going to see the real improvement in this team."

Riewoldt said winning the Coleman was not a focus, with more interest in helping the team return to form against top-placed Collingwood at the MCG on Saturday.

"It's just going to be a big challenge for a young group and we're really excited about what's going to confront us."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/i-want-to-be-a-tiger-for-life-jack-riewoldt/story-e6frf9jf-1225894641420

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jack Riewoldt wants to be a Tiger for life (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 04:13:43 PM »
Riewoldt 'rapt' at LeCras 12
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen
Tue 20 July, 2010

GUN Richmond forward Jack Riewoldt, who became the first player in three years to kick 10 goals in the Tigers’ win over the Brisbane Lions in round 13, says he loved watching Mark LeCras kick a dozen on the weekend.

The 23-year-old Eagle booted 12.2 against the beleaguered Bombers at Etihad Stadium on Saturday night, lifting his season tally to 50 and taking third spot in the race for the Coleman Medal, behind Riewoldt and Western Bulldogs recruit Barry Hall.

Riewoldt, who has 61 for the season - seven more than Hall - said he was rapt to see LeCras kick a big bag, and wasn’t worried if that gave the Western Australian the boost required to win the Coleman.

“At the moment, it's all about everyone playing their role," he said at Punt Rd on Tuesday afternoon.

"Obviously I'm full-forward of this side, but it still comes down to - week in, week out - guys like Will Thursfield playing his role in the backline and stopping guys kicking goals.

"I've just been lucky to get on the end of a few this year, and I've been kicking pretty straight too, which has been good.

"Barry Hall is such a good player, and Mark LeCras kicking 12 on the weekend was an amazing effort, and I got a quiet enjoyment out of watching him.”

"I think it's great for the game to see guys kicking 10-plus goals, eight-plus goals, because fans come along to see high-scoring games, and if you've got guys kicking that amount of goals in games then it's going to make the game a better spectacle."

Riewoldt, who was taken with pick 13 in the 2006 NAB AFL Draft, is contracted through to the end of 2011, but says while he expects to be a one-club player, he's in no rush to sign a new deal.

"I'm still contracted for another year after this one - happy Tiger, and still will be for life, I reckon.

"Questions are going to be asked, as obviously I'm coming out of contract next year when the GWS (Greater Western Sydney) do come in, but it's something that we're trying to do with all our players down here is develop this culture that we're one team.

"I've got some great mates down here, guys that are playing really good footy as well, like Andy Collins, Shane Edwards and Dan Connors, all came out of my draft, so this is something that we're building together.

"You look at sides like Geelong and St Kilda, they've come through as a group together, and they haven't lost any names from their drafts.

"Newy (captain Chris Newman) is the driving force for that - I think we've just got this inner belief that we're going to be good in two to three years time.

"We're going to be a powerhouse of the AFL."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/98600/default.aspx

FNM

Jack wants life
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 05:41:02 PM »
According to Channel 10, he wants to stay with us for life
 :gotigers

Re: Jack wants life
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 05:47:12 PM »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Jack Riewoldt wants to be a Tiger for life
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 06:49:22 PM »
On ya Jack  :thumbsup  :bow. At least some positive news today. This all fits in with the word that this group wants to stick together and be successful together  :thumbsup.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ramps

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 08:07:23 PM »
Alright Alright ... he can stay. Ill take him of my trade list now  ;D

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 08:09:52 PM »
JR was always gonna be a tiger for life.

who was the poster proclaiming that he would
leave and play with his cousin at the saints.
 :lol comical as always.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 08:16:04 PM »

Ah i think the initials are TM :lol

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 08:21:49 PM »

ah thats right that deserves 2 :lol :lol and one of these :rollin
thrown in for good measure.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 08:25:05 PM »

ah thats right that deserves 2 :lol :lol and one of these :rollin
thrown in for good measure.
No it deserves more than that as he also said that Lids was not happy at the club and was going to leave at the end of last season :rollin :rollin :whistle :whistle ;) :) One new contract and JD medal later :lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Riewoldt sets goals for a Tigers' team he intends to stick with (Age)
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 04:23:51 AM »
Riewoldt sets goals for a Tigers' team he intends to stick with
MARTIN BOULTON
July 21, 2010

JACK Riewoldt knows that losing to North Melbourne was disappointing for Richmond fans, but the man leading the Coleman Medal race says the players have a bigger, bolder picture in mind.

On top of the goal-kicking table with 61, Riewoldt also said individual honours were secondary to building a winning culture at the club he wants to stay with for his entire AFL career.

''We've got the same attitude we've had for the whole season,'' Riewoldt said yesterday.

''We [the players] have just got this inner belief we're going to be good in two to three years' time and we're going to be a powerhouse of the AFL.

''You look at sides like Geelong and St Kilda; they've come through as a group together and haven't lost any names from their draft - it's something we're building on.''

The 21-year-old named fellow 2006 draftees Andy Collins, Shane Edwards and Daniel Connors as fourth-year players who were ''building together'' for sustained success at Punt Road.

Five wins from the Tigers' past seven games, after nine defeats in a row at the start of the season, has lifted spirits in coach Damien Hardwick's first year in charge and has Riewoldt buoyant about the future.

''I'm a happy Tiger and will be for life, I reckon,'' he said. ''Questions are going to be asked; I'm coming out of contract next year when GWS come in [to the competition], but we're trying to develop this culture and I've got some great mates down here.''

Riewoldt said manager Ricky Nixon would deal with the contract negotiations and he would focus on playing football.

''If he [Nixon] sees fit that I sign on with the club in two weeks or six months then that's up to him and [Tigers football manager] Craig Cameron to decide.''

Having booted a bag of 10 goals in round 10 plus hauls of six in rounds nine and 11, Riewoldt also enjoyed watching West Coast forward Mark LeCras kick 12 goals on the weekend.

''It's great for the game to see guys kicking 10-plus goals - fans come along to see high-scoring games and if you've got guys kicking that many goals it's going to make the game a better spectacle.''

After 62 games, Riewoldt also feels he is starting to find his feet in a forward line that was dominated for so long by fellow Tasmanian and Richmond champion Matthew Richardson.

''I've progressed slowly [and] this year, with 'Richo' leaving, I'm a bit more of a focal point. I've worked hard to step up and still got a long way to go before I can be the calibre of player Matthew was - at the moment I'm just trying to do my best for the side and help out any way possible.''

Against ladder leading Collingwood on Saturday, he expects the young Tigers to relish the challenge of facing-off against a team that is strengthening in premiership betting.

Riewoldt will most likely face veteran full-back Simon Prestigiacomo, but said the result would be ''more about what we can bring to the table'' as a team, rather than individual performances.

''Collingwood play a really good team defence, guys like Harry O'Brien, Tyson Goldsack and Ben Reid,'' Riewoldt said. ''They're the form team at the moment, on top of the ladder and nearly premiership favourites. It's going to be a big challenge for a young group and we're really excited about what's going to confront us.''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/riewoldt-sets-goals-for-a-tigers-team-he-intends-to-stick-with-20100720-10ji6.html