Author Topic: Channel Seven to air Ben Cousins documentary - Aug 25-26  (Read 25067 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Channel Seven to air Ben Cousins documentary
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 09:11:18 PM »
"SUCH IS LIFE - The troubled times of Ben Cousins" is the name of the Doco. Ch 7 are now advertising it tonight as coming soon.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: BEN COUSINS [merged]
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
Saw the documentary advertised on TV tonight with Benny topless most of the time and with bottles of booze strewn everywhere. Looks like his family plays a bit part in the doco too.
The clip I saw had his sister(?) saying his dad Bryan went through hell. Going to places where no father should have to go. Ch 7 saying they had unlimited access to the family. Looks like it'll be full-on.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
First look at Ben Cousins drug video (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 10:40:49 PM »
First look at Ben Cousins drug video

* Michael Warner
    * August 11, 2010

A SHIRTLESS Ben Cousins is seen using drugs in an explosive tell-all documentary set to screen before the end of the AFL season.

The Herald Sun last night obtained the first images from the documentary - filmed over the past two years as Cousins battled his darkest days of drug addiction.

Such is Life: The Troubled Times of Ben Cousins has been seen by AFL boss Andrew Demetriou and officials at Richmond, where the 2005 Brownlow medallist hopes to extend his career next year.

Raw and chilling footage shows Cousins:

DANCING in his underpants with a glass of red wine and a scantily-clad female in the background.

CRYING while under the influence of an unknown substance.

LEANING on a kitchen table covered in beer bottles after a heavy night.

STARING into a camera and declaring: "My name is Ben Cousins. I'm a drug addict".

The AFL last night confirmed Mr Demetriou had watched a version of the documentary last week.

He declined to comment but is understood to have been shocked by its content.

Channel 7's Melbourne boss Lewis Martin said it had not yet been decided when to screen the show.

"Like any program, it will be subject to censorship requirements," he said.

Mr Martin said it would be broadcast in prime time over one or two nights, possibly before the Grand Final.

Music boss Michael Gudinski, the film's executive producer, said the documentary was confronting and would send a powerful message to young people about drugs.

"When Ben came to me 18 months ago and we talked, I knew he had an important story to tell. The end result is deeply emotional and compelling," Mr Gudinski said.

"It's a cautionary tale - the inside story of a superstar footballer who made some bad choices along the way and ended up in a titanic struggle with drug addiction.

"It's about a father and a son, about a family coming together to see him through the darkest times.

"It's Ben's personal story - about his struggles and recovery. I'm sure it will send a powerful message to young people.

"If it helps save one person's life or helps broaden the community's understanding of addiction, then it all will have been worthwhile."

An AFL spokesman last night said the league hoped the documentary would help others.

"If talking about his own battle with drugs with the support of his family can result in another person in the same situation seeking help or getting the support they need to change, then there is a benefit," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/first-look-at-ben-cousins-drug-video/story-e6frf9jf-1225903649371

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 10:41:41 PM »

FNM

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 10:59:22 PM »
stuff he's hot lmao  :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
CEO statement: Cousins doco (RFC)
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 01:20:41 PM »
CEO statement: Cousins doco
richmondfc.com.au
Wed 11 August, 2010

In response to the publicity surrounding the upcoming Ben Cousins’ documentary, Richmond CEO Brendon Gale today made the following comments.

“This is a confronting story and one we sincerely hope has a positive impact on those that watch it,” Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale said.

“If what Ben and his family have been through serves as an important lesson to others then it has been worth doing.”

“As we all know, Ben was in a very dark place. As a recovering drug addict, we believe his time at Richmond has helped him with his rehabilitation and we will continue to support him.”

Anyone wanting further information about the prevention of drug problems should visit the Australian Drug Foundation website at www.adf.org.au

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/100096/default.aspx

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 02:02:41 PM »
Does anyone else disagree how its been handled in the last few days?

1) Channel 7 look to be advertising the doco like it's the 4th instalment of Underbelly.
2) The media have had every opinion under the sun of it.
3) Talk back radio is split 50-50 whether or not it should be aired or not

It's all a bit of a circus and  hope it doesn't lose it's meaning.

People have opinions, opinions and poorly organised media combined can really damage things. Ben's reputation has improved dramatically since day 1 at Richmond since the focus turned 100% to his footy.

I think showing it on Fox Sports and releasing a DVD would have been a better approach, rather than letting a trash Mag type channel like Channel 7 air it. They will hype this up like the Olympics and drown the public in the hype.

Nothing in the Doco will offend me and hopefully wont change my opinion of Ben and what he's achieved, I don't like reading and hearing negative feedback on Cousins addiction. I lost a friend to drugs and it's hard to read and hear opinions regarding how bad, evil and villainous drug takers are.

If you're an American and you a recovered drug addict and deemed "clean" Its something that is seen as an enormous achievement and something to be proud of. Recovered or Addict, anyone that's associated with drugs taking is stereotypically branded as evil, and the pit of society.

Yet we're happy to cheer and watch shows like Underbelly and worship Roberta Williams and her unborn child to Carl Williams and pay her loads of cash for her tell or stories.

I think our society is confused as who the real villains are to be honest. The sooner society realise and except drug addicts are victims not criminals the better everyone will be.
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 03:30:05 PM »
How about Aker's comments this morning   ::)....

Outspoken sacked Bulldog Jason Akermanis used his forum on MTR radio this morning to question whether Cousins was honest about his recent stay in hospital, attributed to sleeping pill use.

"This is the consequences Ben, of what you need to realise. Like it was five weeks ago when you were in intensive care and we all keep getting asked about these questions about oh, caffeine and all this kind of stuff when we know you didn’t even take caffeine… it’s not the issue, caffeine or sleeping pills."

Though Cousins has never been accused of using performance enhancing substances, Akermanis used the midfielder's addiction battle to question the effectiveness of the AFL drugs policy.

"If he’s taken these illegal substances and we can see that on tape now, what else was he doing, what else was he getting hold of?

"Is he getting hold of the stuff… that helps you run better, perhaps, the stuff that helps blokes ride up mountains very well, blood boosting… What else is he taking?

"If they can’t catch him for these illegal substances, how on earth are they going to catch him for the other stuff that’s going to help him perform?"

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tigers-back-cousins-ahead-of-drugs-doco-20100811-11yqf.html?autostart=1

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 04:33:12 PM »
How about Aker's comments this morning   ::)....

Outspoken sacked Bulldog Jason Akermanis used his forum on MTR radio this morning to question whether Cousins was honest about his recent stay in hospital, attributed to sleeping pill use.

"This is the consequences Ben, of what you need to realise. Like it was five weeks ago when you were in intensive care and we all keep getting asked about these questions about oh, caffeine and all this kind of stuff when we know you didn’t even take caffeine… it’s not the issue, caffeine or sleeping pills."

Though Cousins has never been accused of using performance enhancing substances, Akermanis used the midfielder's addiction battle to question the effectiveness of the AFL drugs policy.

"If he’s taken these illegal substances and we can see that on tape now, what else was he doing, what else was he getting hold of?

"Is he getting hold of the stuff… that helps you run better, perhaps, the stuff that helps blokes ride up mountains very well, blood boosting… What else is he taking?

"If they can’t catch him for these illegal substances, how on earth are they going to catch him for the other stuff that’s going to help him perform?"

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tigers-back-cousins-ahead-of-drugs-doco-20100811-11yqf.html?autostart=1

Really classy Aker.

Say all you like at the end of the day a drug addict is still wanted at his football club and the Bulldogs would rather be without an A Grade knob.
Go Tigers!

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 07:39:11 PM »

I think our society is confused as who the real villains are to be honest. The sooner society realise and except drug addicts are victims not criminals the better everyone will be.

The shocking thing was the news story about the Cousins doco was followed by the Lovett committal trial story.

Put in perspective who the real villians are "alleged" to be and also the "public interest" values of News Directors.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
It's all a bit of a circus

It certainly is.
I'd really like to know why Cousins has done it at all.
I certainly wouldn't but each to their own I guess.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 10:11:06 PM »
Got to love the media......

Today Tonight are reporting that Cousins is telling close friends that he will walk away at seasons end even if the club offers him a new contract.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 10:32:56 PM »
Got to love the media......

Today Tonight are reporting that Cousins is telling close friends that he will walk away at seasons end even if the club offers him a new contract.

Lol that's horrible journalism lol.

Thanks Channel 7 lol
Go Tigers!

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2010, 10:57:59 PM »
Now reported on Fox & Sky news.
Where there's smoke..

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 12:31:00 AM »
So TT what happened to Cuz saying publicly all this time he would like to play on. LOL at TT  :rollin. Nothing you wouldn't expect from tabloid tv  ::)

As for Aker's comments  ::). Clearly still bitter about getting the axe from the Doggies. If he want to talk about performance enhancing what about the Lions when he was there on drips at half-time which the AFL banned.