Author Topic: Official Delistings  (Read 6151 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Official Delistings
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2010, 02:01:45 PM »
so true MT and one of the smartest posts i have read in a while.

Hislop to protect our youngsters. Stripes you cant be serious. Hislop is a dud of the highest order. An absolute waste of time that guy.

MT is 100% right there is no such thing as diluted draft. So many rookies now play seniors and these 2 selections is a major waste of time and could've been used to find a hidden gem. Guys like Maxwell and Davey were rookies werent they.  

We have to stop treating this rookie as a joke by re signing duds e.g howatt and Hislop.  :banghead :banghead

I understand your view daniel but I just think getting Miller to the club is more about developing and protecting our existing talent rather than what we have/will do with the rest of our picks which will be to uncover new talent. The club obviously rates Hislop and better prospect than any of the possible Rookies they would get with their pick 3 + in the Rookie Draft. I'll defer to their greater insight here.

Stripes

the claw

« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2010, 04:22:06 PM »
so true MT and one of the smartest posts i have read in a while.

Hislop to protect our youngsters. Stripes you cant be serious. Hislop is a dud of the highest order. An absolute waste of time that guy.

MT is 100% right there is no such thing as diluted draft. So many rookies now play seniors and these 2 selections is a major waste of time and could've been used to find a hidden gem. Guys like Maxwell and Davey were rookies werent they.  

We have to stop treating this rookie as a joke by re signing duds e.g howatt and Hislop.  :banghead :banghead

I understand your view daniel but I just think getting Miller to the club is more about developing and protecting our existing talent rather than what we have/will do with the rest of our picks which will be to uncover new talent. The club obviously rates Hislop and better prospect than any of the possible Rookies they would get with their pick 3 + in the Rookie Draft. I'll defer to their greater insight here.

Stripes
a real lack of pace and terrible footskills sort of says you should not be deffering to anyone.
i have to ask what happened to the footskill mantra. hislop is 22 spent 4 yrs in the system managed just 20 odd games and failed to overcome chronic deficienies in those 4 yrs. one just has to question the reasoning behind rookieing him.
i really liked hislop as a junior  but there comes a time when you have to say enough. we cannot hang onto players for inordinate amounts of time waiting for a miracle we have been there i hope we have learnt from being there.

the claw

« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2010, 04:37:41 PM »
just on the difference as to why we would rookie miller and hislop.
miller is easy to understand but hislop sheesh.

simply put we have a 22 yr old to lead our forwards hes the only established tall forward we have.  the entire side is lacking in experience yet alone our talls.all lack experience presence and size atm. some very sound reasons as to why you would go after an experienced tall forward weather that is miller as a rookie or bradshaw in the psd. (sorry couldnt help throwing in the bradshaw bit).

what does hislop offer as a mature rookie . we just got grigg we have jackson tuck martin. all big bodies  and foley will come back and morton has entered the midfield. more big bodies and experience.
at 22 struggling to establish his own career with chronic deficiencies little experience what possible reason is there to keep him.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2010, 05:15:47 PM »
I have to admit that i find the idea of putting Hislop on the rookie list perplexing.

What i also find perplexing is what is the source of this rumour? Is it offseason BS or has it come from the club?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
well that was very much needed, well done tiges

Just dissapointed we're wasting 2 rookie spots on Hislop and Miller.

Can you imagine if Tuck, White, Graham & King didn't save/extend their careers this season?  it would have been 15 changes - 29 changes in 2 seasons yikes!  :o

A bit of perspective for those who sometimes get ahead of themselves as to where this club is at

Good post. Istill think that people are judging the club's decision to take Miller and Hislop in the rookie draft is a bit harsh. I think if it was an uncompromised draft this criticism would be justified but given the diluted draft I think their inclusion is more than valid. While the talent pool in considered excellent this year in the early rounds, clubs are concerned about finding players in the later stages of the Nation Draft. By the time the PSD is finished the pickings will be incredibly slim come the Rookie Draft. Any players we would take in the 3rd and 4th rounds of the rookie draft would not even be speculative, they would be a waste if time and resources. At least with Hislop and Miller we can fill any holes for the short term until the draft is untampered with once again.

Godd delistings IMHO  :thumbsup

Stripes
Sorry Stripes but I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. I understand what you're saying as far the talent pool is thin at late rookie picks. No issue with that. However, that doesn't mean we then clog our rookie list with mature players who we know 100% are not going to last. That is a waste of time, money and resources. Every year there are teenagers who are overlooked by every single AFL club in one draft year only to picked up in a later draft having shown form in a state league which finally attracts interest from AFL clubs - Michael Barlow, Liam Anthony, Harry Taylor, Jason Porplyzia, Matthew Priddis, Ben McGlynn, Nick Maxwell, Aaron Davey, Matthew Boyd were all drafted in subsequent drafts from state leagues after being overlooked at 18 years of age. Any of those players could have been picked up with a late rookie pick at 18 or even the year before they eventually were. Then there are just the good finds late in the rookie draft - in 2007 we re-rookied Cam Howat at pick 47 in the rookie draft using the insurance and weak pool arguments; at pick 57 Geelong drafted Shane Mumford from their VFL side. In 2008 we passed on our last rookie pick (67) yet Greg Broughton was picked up by Freo at 74 from East Fremantle. Sure the chance of finding a player with a late rookie pick is slim but it isn't 0% and the rewards are great for recruiters who can spot late developers before anyone else does. Clubs that put their faith and resources into the drafts are more likely to succeed than clubs that recycle known players with no future.

I can completely see where you are coming from MT but I juest think that Miller and perhaps even Hislop are more to do with protecting and developig our current players rather than finding new players in a position where it is likely such late picks will be just as bigger a waste. For every success story that comes from the rookie list their are scores who don't. More money is wasted on these prospective players than two mature aged players that can definately fill a short term need at the club.

If we were using all our rookie picks on Mature Aged players I'd be upset but the last two picks in an extremely dilluted talent pool I can certainly live with. I wouldn't recommend it in a normal draft but in the next two, I think most clubs will be looking to develop what they have rather than grab a player who is extremely unlikely to come on.

In my opinion I think we are still bringing in at least 5 young players through the ND, traded for 2 young midfielders and are rerooking one young player leaving us to bring in only one mature aged rookie/development coach. Seems like we are trying to make the most of an unusual position.

Just my opinion of course MT

Stripes

Nothing wrong with differing opinions argued sensibly :thumbsup.

I should add I'm not saying the club is diverting from the young policy. It makes a refreshing change for us to back up 7 ND picks last year with another 5 this time around and if Houli is picked up in the PSD then all 5 will be used on drafting new cubs. That's the way the ND should be used. I just don't believe in the insurance argument even with the rookie list for the reasons I've already stated and especially on a 27 y.o. with no future.  I don't have an issue with Miller being brought in as a development coach at Coburg. It's just that he should have been hired for just that purpose rather than wasting a rookie spot IMO. Two spots wasted if you count Hislop being rookied :P.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2010, 04:03:44 PM »
I have to admit that i find the idea of putting Hislop on the rookie list perplexing.

What i also find perplexing is what is the source of this rumour? Is it offseason BS or has it come from the club?
I don't know 100% Hislop will be rookied but multiple sources (not just on the net) seem to give it some validity. I remember Greg Miller telling me Cam Howat would be re-rookied for a 3rd year. I posted it here and people had their doubts. Like now with Hislop, it was such a unbelievably poor move by the Club you couldn't blame anyone for not believing it before it was made official.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd