Author Topic: Bachar Houli [merged]  (Read 335772 times)

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Re: Bachar Houli [merged]
« Reply #1500 on: September 30, 2019, 10:09:44 AM »
Now, once and for all I wish people would give the magnificent bearded one the respect he deserves, he is awesome, just calmly goes about it and is all class on and off the field.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1501 on: September 30, 2019, 11:03:00 AM »
Personally I was inclined to give him the NSM again this year

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Life-sized Houli hologram to welcome visitors at Australian Sports Museum (afl)
« Reply #1502 on: January 16, 2020, 06:30:54 PM »
Life-sized Houli hologram to welcome visitors at Australian Sports Museum

By Jourdan Canil
afl.com.au
16 January 2020 6:30pm

A LIFE-SIZED 3D hologram of dual-premiership defender Bachar Houli will take centre stage at the re-opening of the Australian Sports Museum, following a $17 million upgrade.

The All-Australian Tiger takes visitors through a range of his experiences at AFL level, starting with a candid chat about what it was like to get drafted, all the way through to Richmond's drought-breaking 2017 premiership flag.

The new displays will include touch screens, climbable objects and sporting challenges as fans learn about Australian football, cricket, the Olympics and much more.

"Whether you are playing at the grassroots or witnessing the greats, sport is all about passion, excitement and energy, and that is exactly what we are delivering with the new Australian Sports Museum," MCC president Michael Happell said.

"Through new technology and creative, ever-changing displays, visitors will be able to experience, not just observe, the stories and moments that make up Australia's sporting identity."

A range of special offers and activities will be available on the official opening day.

Tickets for the Australian Sports Museum will be available from 9am Friday January 17 via nsm.org.au.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/366252/life-sized-houli-hologram-to-welcome-visitors-at-australian-sports-museum

... there is little doubt Richmond wouldn't mind two Houlis in the backline on the MCG in 2020.

They will go as close as possible, with the renamed and rebuilt Australian Sports Museum opening in late February and set to feature a life-sized hologram of the All-Australian half back who helped the Tigers to their second flag this season.

Modest as ever, Houli stood in front of the show for the cameras, both embarrassed and proud that he is being depicted in such an iconic place as the MCG, sweating as he watched his image tell the tale of a young Muslim boy forging a path from humble beginnings to the top of the AFL.

Houli mentioned how his older brother Khaled helped him convince his father Malek to let him play, and how the family all eventually became his greatest supporters and inspiration.

He became emotional as he spoke of family, his gratitude as clear as his ambition.

"What is special is being part of a football club that accepts me, accepts my family, accepts my faith and accepts me as a complete person. That is something I am very proud of," Houli said.

He hopes his presence at the museum, even as a hologram, will inspire people who may relate to his circumstances and also broaden the understanding of Muslim people in the community.

It's why he was prepared to stand for five hours in the unfamiliar role, reading his lines and acting natural in the most unnatural of environments.

And it's why he agreed to become the hologram despite his initial scepticism.

"I still question 'why me?' I guess that is just my nature," Houli said.

"I am extremely humbled."

The National Sports Museum, home of Australia’s largest collection of sporting memorabilia, will be renamed the Australian Sports Museum when it reopens on Saturday February 29, following a $17 million upgrade.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/houli-praying-rance-will-find-fulfilment-and-return-to-richmond-20200116-p53s44.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1503 on: March 08, 2020, 07:35:24 PM »
Houli v Hurn: Who’s the AFL’s best rebound defender?

Jon Anderson
Herald Sun
8 March 2020

BACHAR HOULI (Richmond)

The player that the Bombers didn’t rate has become as good as any in such a vital part of the ground.

SuperCoach price: $571,600 2019 SC average: 106

Champion Data says:
Houli was the only general defender to rate elite for disposals, metres gained and intercept possessions last season.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/2020-afl-dream-team-whos-the-best-rebound-defender-in-the-afl/news-story/a5e7af818d0b11dc5a8a1d0ddbfe62d6

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1504 on: March 17, 2020, 06:55:08 PM »
Houli to miss 3 weeks.

source: Mark Stevens Ch7.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1505 on: May 07, 2020, 06:44:07 PM »
Houli interview on Ch 7 news after the ad break.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1506 on: May 07, 2020, 07:01:13 PM »
For the first time since he was drafted, the AFL shutdown has given devout Muslim Bachar Houli the chance to practice Ramadan with his young family. But the month of fasting hasn't hampered his gruelling training regime as he prepares for footy’s restart. @SeanSowerby7 #7NEWS

Watch here: https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1258319478317707264

* One blessing during this lockdown/season break is more time with his girls.

* During the break and it being Ramadan, he wakes at 4am, has breakfast and then fasts for 13 hours during the day. He runs 11km a day without a drink. His training partner is ex-saint Ahmed Saad

* Ch 7 showed Houli's game output rating rises during Ramadan:
          Season    During
           Avg.      Ramadan

2017    91.6       119.5
2018   Injured
2019  102.3      127.75

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1507 on: May 12, 2020, 02:58:40 PM »
Happy 32nd birthday  :birthday.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1508 on: May 12, 2020, 07:45:29 PM »
How many yrs did we give him 1 or 2
Went thru a fair bit of this thread and i have to say i agree with BT on this this bloke.

What i found interesting was when i asked myself,  did we miss him when he was out injured?
In all honesty i cant say we did.His role can be performed just as well by others and was at times.

How good a gig would it be getting half your possesions from kick ins and cheapies out the back and hardly ever expected to go and win a hard ball while your teammates constantly do the defending for you and get it the pill out to you.

I find it laughable that people value Houlis game in two G/F romps as highly as Martins game When Martin was the main reason for those games being romps in the first place.Houli basically ran around by himself in both G/F,s sort of tells ya the thinking of the opposition.

With out a doubt he had good games but for the most part he is purely an offensive player with poor defensive attributes.Not a lot has changed since his first game with Eseendon in this regard imo.

I will say once again though, I prefer Houli in the role over Short or the diminutive Baker playing down back and prior to them Brandon Squib Ellis.For me there is only room for one of them in the back half and if i have to pick one then its Houli.
Preferably id like to see someone like Sydney Stack down back in his place as i think he will give us the offensive side that Houli does but will also be a better defensive propisition.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1509 on: May 12, 2020, 07:58:15 PM »
One.

Bachar Houli has re-signed for another year (until end of 2020).
https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-09-12/houli-resigns

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1510 on: May 28, 2020, 07:07:33 PM »
Tigers likely to be without All-Aus star in opener

May 28, 2020 6:03pm
Max Laughton
FOX SPORTS

Richmond is set to be without All-Australian defender Bachar Houli for its season restart blockbuster against Collingwood.

The dual premiership player is very unlikely to feature in Damien Hardwick’s Round 2 side in two weeks’ time, having failed to train fully at Punt Road today.

Houli missed Round 1’s win over Carlton with a calf injury and after re-injuring it during the break between that game and the AFL’s return to training, is still limited.

“He’s got a calf complaint at the moment. He trained in the morning before the cameras were allowed inside - he did some running, but not a whole lot,” Fox Sports News reporter Drew Jones said on AFL Tonight.

“I spoke to Richmond in the last half an hour or so and they’ve confirmed it’s very unlikely Bachar will play in Round 2. He missed Round 1 with a calf and had a reoccurrence during the stand-down period.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-bachar-houli-injury-richmond-injury-news-noah-cumberland-acl-injury-list-tigers-team-round-2-vs-collingwood/news-story/39c4a6cd55c1b2773ceb4f4cefc4c500

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1511 on: May 29, 2020, 06:25:49 PM »
Went thru a fair bit of this thread and i have to say i agree with BT on this this bloke.

What i found interesting was when i asked myself,  did we miss him when he was out injured?
In all honesty i cant say we did.His role can be performed just as well by others and was at times.

How good a gig would it be getting half your possesions from kick ins and cheapies out the back and hardly ever expected to go and win a hard ball while your teammates constantly do the defending for you and get it the pill out to you.

I find it laughable that people value Houlis game in two G/F romps as highly as Martins game When Martin was the main reason for those games being romps in the first place.Houli basically ran around by himself in both G/F,s sort of tells ya the thinking of the opposition.

With out a doubt he had good games but for the most part he is purely an offensive player with poor defensive attributes.Not a lot has changed since his first game with Eseendon in this regard imo.

I will say once again though, I prefer Houli in the role over Short or the diminutive Baker playing down back and prior to them Brandon Squib Ellis.For me there is only room for one of them in the back half and if i have to pick one then its Houli.
Preferably id like to see someone like Sydney Stack down back in his place as i think he will give us the offensive side that Houli does but will also be a better defensive propisition.
Yeah right cause Dusty is such a defensive beast
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1512 on: June 01, 2020, 07:27:31 PM »
Dual Tigers premiership veteran Bachar Houli ramped up his running and returned to kicking today, as he fights to overcome a calf injury in time to take on the Pies. #7AFL

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1267378533430521861

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1513 on: June 04, 2020, 06:55:37 PM »

Yeah right cause Dusty is such a defensive beast
lol you cant work the difference out. Dusty goes and gets it and always puts his head over it he doesnt need team mates to have an effect. no one said he is great defensively but most of the time hes the one being hunted unlike squib a lot Houli.

We would struggle replacing Martin but any number of players could perform Houlis role probably including you.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1514 on: June 04, 2020, 10:49:36 PM »
Lol
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.