Author Topic: Tigers to play a home game in Cairns 2011-13 [Official]  (Read 6946 times)

jackstar is back again

Re: Tigers set to play a home game in Cairns (Age)
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
Love Cairns!
Go for it!

Lived up there and in the table lands for 6 months, living off the land crabs prawns fish pigs, was an awesome time. Be a blast to go back.

Once confirmed, will be spending  5 nights  at lovely Port Douglas :thumbsup

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 11:05:46 PM »
Weekend away in Cairns relaxing  in the man made pool with some fine looking ladies from Denmark within reach. Bring that S-hit on.

Booking my tickets as soon as that fixture gets released.

good Sunday session at Gilligans too.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 08:14:32 AM »
If the AFL are consistent with our fixture based on recent years then we'll probably cop the Darwin and Cairns games in consecutive weeks  :P.

I can understand the $500k being the incentive and the need for cash but I don't like the idea of selling off two home games  :-\. One is bad enough. We're a Melbourne based club; not nomads. It's not supporters fault either the club has been rubbish onfield for so long and that this year we were fixtured home games against 5 interstate clubs, the 3 low drawing Melbourne clubs - North, Dogs, Dees - and finally a "home" game against St Kilda at their home ground  ::). It was a poor draw from a financial perspective given we all knew we would struggle big time in 2010.

I agree with you 100% MT but I will say this in defence of selling these games:  given our debt level and oft-stated intent of reducing it over the next couple of years, a couple $500k hits will be invaluable in reaching that target.  As long as it's only for the next season or 2 then I think most supporters would be prepared to wear the 'hurt' for the short term gain but I would hate to see it become a regular occurrence.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL on the way: Tigers eye chance to play up at Cazalys in Cairns (Cairns Post)
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 01:17:16 PM »
AFL on the way: Tigers eye chance to play up at Cazalys in Cairns
Murray Wenzel
Monday, September 20, 2010
The Cairns Post

CAIRNS is almost assured of hosting its first AFL premiership game next season. Are you excited about seeing Aussie Rules in the Far North? Who do you barrack for?

Richmond is the latest team to be linked with Cairns, joining North Melbourne as the teams most likely to play a premiership points match against new AFL team Gold Coast.

Cairns AFL has been working feverishly behind the scenes to secure at least one AFL game next season.

Planned upgrades to the field and change rooms at Cazalys will bring the ground up to AFL standard.

With a strong following in Far North Queensland, an AFL match in Cairns is expected to attract a crowd of between 15,000 and 20,000 people and have economic spinoffs of $4 million.

It will help promote Cairns as a tourism and sporting destination with the action to be broadcast around the country.

Speculation about Richmond playing in Cairns next season was sparked by Melbourne media yesterday.

It came as the international tennis spotlight was focused on Cairns for the Davis Cup qualifying tie between Australia and Belgium.

Cairns AFL chief Gary Young yesterday said he was not aware of the Richmond proposal, but was extremely confident an AFL game in Cairns would be officially announced soon.

The Victorian club would benefit financially by moving a home game to Cairns, while it would give likely opponent Gold Coast extra exposure in Cairns, a region with which it is forging a strong alliance.

"In terms of specific clubs I haven't heard Richmond thrown around until now. But a good campaign from our end would mean it wouldn’t matter what Melbourne club came, it would be successful," Mr Young said.

"This sort of news can only be good for us and I'd like to think the decision comes to a head shortly."

Based on spending at last year's Australian Master AFL tournament in Cairns, Mr Young estimated an AFL fixture would bring $4 million in to the city.

"I'm very comfortable in saying we would achieve that figure. It's a very attractive offer (an AFL game) when potential travellers are looking at coming here on holidays," he said.

Mr Young said people would travel from across the region to watch the game and he knew of many Tigers fans in Cairns who would be keen to see their team head north.

"Associations would organise it so they scheduled a bye for that week. People would go to great lengths to get to the game."

http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2010/09/20/127475_local-news.html

tony_montana

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 04:30:37 PM »
lol @ North Melbourne also being linked to hosting games there. :lol They are just whoring themselves off to anyone and everyone. Pathetic club

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 04:33:02 PM »
lol @ North Melbourne also being linked to hosting games there. :lol They are just whoring themselves off to anyone and everyone. Pathetic club

Gold Coast
Hobart
Canberra
Cairns
Melbourne
Sydney
Kalgoorie
Pilbarra
i mean seriously its getting beyond a joke now. Who are they going to bend over next

They are by far the most pathetic club in the AFL
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2010, 06:45:36 PM »
From the RFC website:

Richmond Football Club today confirmed it was in discussions with the AFL that could result in the Club playing a home game against Gold Coast in Cairns each year, for the next three years.

The Club however stressed that no decision would be made that would in any way compromise the rights of members to access 11 games in Melbourne. “Our members are of paramount importance to this football club and we would not make any decision that would adversely affect them,” Richmond CEO Brendon Gale said today.

“The first question we ask ourselves before making any such decision is: Are we able to protect the rights of our members? If the answer to that is yes, we then consider the other implications of moving a game.”

“As part of any decision we then have to consider what it means for the team, the growth of our national brand as well as the financial implications for the Club.

“Should it evolve that we play a game a game in Cairns, our members will certainly retain access to 11 games in Melbourne and we would anticipate the vast majority and quite possibly all of those games would be at the MCG which would be a great result for them.

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick said he had no concerns about his young side having to play an additional game on the road should the Club decide to play a game in Cairns.

“Travel is a reality of the modern game and coping with it is imperative if you are going to win enough games to play finals. From a football development perspective I don’t have any concerns - you have to learn to cope with it and experience is the best way you learn,” Hardwick said.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/103284/default.aspx

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 07:24:47 PM »
RICHMOND TO PLAY HOME GAMES IN ANTARCTICA
Brendan Gale released this announcement as a bit of gag today and North Melbourne promptly announced they would play there too. :lol
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 07:25:38 PM »
RICHMOND TO PLAY HOME GAMES IN ANTARCTICA
Brendan Gale released this announcement as a bit of gag today and North Melbourne promptly announced they would play there too. :lol
(Brendag Gale did not release this announcement today)
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2010, 07:28:49 PM »

Mate c'mon, give them some cred for trying. Its not liek every other club can be as awsome as us with out trying.

:thumbsup

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2010, 07:31:07 PM »
I blame the 10,000 missing limp wristed fans at Etihad when we played Freo  8). Should have been 35,000 that night. They lack the passion of being at the game to drive that extra 10 minutes or pay that extra $5 to get to Etihad compared to the G. Are they tight or what  ::)

docklands is a crap place

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2010, 07:31:53 PM »
Don't like it myself no matter how much money it's generating.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2010, 09:26:50 PM »

Gold Coast
Hobart
Canberra
Cairns
Melbourne
Sydney
Kalgoorie
Pilbarra
i mean seriously its getting beyond a joke now. Who are they going to bend over next

They are by far the most pathetic club in the AFL

Characterless footy club.  AFL should pull the pin on them.
Brayshaw erred they kept North in Melb for 2000 fans yet they gave up 100 million to move up there and now they are looking at Cairns, Tassie, playing home games in Perth or Adelaide against the Eagles and Crows.
Brayshaw and the rest of the board have lied to their members. Would have been more beneficial for them to have moved up North. Will forever be beggars.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2010, 11:45:54 AM »
The link to the above article was broken last night so it's been reposted this morning on the RFC website

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/103284/default.aspx

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Official Tigers to play a home game in Cairns (HUN)
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2010, 11:17:12 AM »
RICHMOND has signed a deal to play a home game against the Gold Coast in Cairns in each of the next three seasons.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou announced today the matches would be played at Cazaly Stadium, which will get a $6.7 million upgrade.

The matches will be played in the 2011, 2012 and 2013 seasons, with next year's clash set to be played during the day before upgraded lighting is installed in time for the 2012 fixture.

“We are really happy to be part of such a big step forward for our game in Far North Queensland. To be able to take the Richmond brand into such an important market as well as provide a new experience for our young playing group is fantastic," Richmond football manager Craig Cameron said.

“For us, it is the best of both worlds: it gives our fans in Queensland a chance to see us live and we have protected the rights of our members who will still have access to 11 games in Melbourne,” Cameron said.

NAB Cup games have been played at the venue in recent years but Cairns has never hosted a match for premiership points.

“The AFL is very excited to be able to take premiership matches into Far North Queensland for the first time," Demetriou said.

The AFL had previously announced Gold Coast would have a bye in Round 1 next year and play the Tigers in Round 2, but Demetriou said today the date of the first Cairns game would be revealed when the full fixture is announced in late October

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-to-play-in-cairns/story-e6frf9jf-1225932208489

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)