Author Topic: Brown relieved as Tigers leave Melbourne behind  (Read 6503 times)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Brown relieved as Tigers leave Melbourne behind
« on: May 07, 2004, 12:26:08 PM »
Brown relieved as Tigers leave Melbourne behind
7 May 2004  Herald Sun
Tim Morrissey

GUN Richmond recruit Nathan Brown is happy the embattled Tigers will be playing Sydney at the SCG on Sunday.

He said nothing the Swans fans dished out on Mother's Day could compare with the abuse and ridicule heaped on Richmond recently by their own supporters.

Before last Friday night's one-point win over Hawthorn at Telstra Dome, the Tigers had been spat on, abused, pelted with missiles and swamped by calls for coach Danny Frawley to resign.

"Getting away as a group, just all the players and coaches together, is good," Brown said yesterday.

"Time at the hotel having a meal together, a chat and getting to know the boys a bit better will be just the thing.

"We haven't been away this year so it will be a big help."

With full-forward Matthew Richardson and former Swans ruckman Greg Stafford returning from injury and suspension respectively, Brown believes the tide is about to turn for the Tigers.

"A one-point win doesn't mean the slump is over," he said. "The Sydney match will probably determine where we are as a club.

"The Swans are a top-eight side, so we need a good showing against them.

"A win in Sydney, hopefully, would see us out the other side of the dramas. It would be huge."

Sydney has recalled Michael O'Loughlin, who has been sidelined with a hamstring injury since round two, but the goal-kicking wizard still has to prove his fitness today.

Tagger Brett Kirk, Brown's likely opponent on Sunday, believes all the pressure is on Sydney after successive losses.

"We have been inconsistent recently," Kirk said. "This is a big game for us. We really need to win it.

"We let the Kangaroos slip away early but played pretty well for three quarters and we played pretty well against Brisbane.

"But we still haven't put in that four-quarter effort.

"That's what we aim to do against Richmond, play four quarters of good footy.

"Our confidence is still fairly high because we have been playing well in patches."

The Swans might be feeling some pressure after their two losses, but Brown said Frawley had stressed to the players after last week's gritty one-point win the Tigers were still at rock bottom.

"Danny was pretty low key after the Hawthorn game," Brown said.

"He told us not to get ahead of ourselves and that we had the worst percentage in the league."

"We've won two games out of six and we've now got to play one of the best sides in the competition.

"He said 'if you blokes think you've achieved anything, well, you haven't.

"'You've hit rock bottom and you're still down there at the moment clawing your way back up'."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,9490438%255E19771,00.html
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Brown relieved as Tigers leave Melbourne behind
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 01:46:02 PM »
Browny should definitely stick to footy. He's not so naturally and silky skilled in his jocks on the catwalk as was shown on street-talk last night :D .
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

froars

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 02:45:48 PM »
Browny should definitely stick to footy. He's not so naturally and silky skilled in his jocks on the catwalk as was shown on street-talk last night :D .

Ha!, as a connoisseur of these thing MT, I agree with you  ;D

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 05:00:24 PM »
as a connoisseur of these thing   ;D
Jocks or silky skills?

I notice the bit about the supporters is not actually a quote. Could it possibly be that a tabloid of such high ethical standards might have allowed Timmy Morrissey some latitude so that he could add a little porky- pie to spice up his article? Surely not!  ::)
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Ox

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 05:59:18 PM »
Nathan seemed to express points regarding Frawleys messages
that other players in the past have neglected to mention.

I enjoyed the part about telling the team they were rock bottom.
A part of spuds psyche i've never heard about.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 10:17:46 PM »
Apart from his silky skills and obvious natural ability - I reckon one of the best attributes of Nathan Brown is his honesty. He seems to call it as he sees it. I know alot of people have said that he should be part of our leadership group - I starting to believe that this is a very good option for us especially our future.

Isn't it funny how you notice these things in players once they play for you and usually not before.  8)

Ox, I also found it interesting his comments about Danny - it sure gave a much greater insight than the Campbell interview the other week in the Age.

I know it is a fine line between going overboard with encouragement and keeping a lid on it. But perhaps in the past after win like last week there has been a little too much back slapping and not enough reality

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)