Author Topic: Brad Miller [merged]  (Read 65586 times)

Ramps

Re: Brad Miller [merged]
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2010, 08:05:46 AM »
welcome to tigerland pia :bow :bow :cheers :cheers :gotigers :gobdrop :clapping :clapping :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :santa :santa :santa :santa

Blaisees the only one in here who has his priorities in the right order. ;D

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 08:08:21 AM »
I've got no issue with a role focused around a spot at Coburg.  It's ok to say "focus on youth" but like real life, youth still needs to learn and they don't learn by growing alone - mentoring and 'do as I do' guidance is still paramount to their successful transition to adulthood (senior player).  There's more to building and developing our list than just chocking it up with youth - the value of Ben Cousins has been well accepted on here - and even though Miller is not a player in the same class, if they (the club) are looking to him in a coaching-type role then they obviously rate his input.  Remember, this is the same Brad Miller that knocked back a farewell game with Melbourne seniors because he didn't want to take the spot of one of the kids so I'm happy to trust the judgment of the club that he will be used in a suitable role.  Cameron's words give me heart - "He fully understands the role we have planned for him at Richmond" - that he is not being sought as a shortcut.  As Danog said, insurance if we have a horror run with injuries but a role focused at Coburg accelerating the development of the kids is fine by me.

No problem with that Smokes (except the insurance bit, what are we insuring ourselves from?) so put him on at Coburg as a playing coach who can provide that mentoring on field to our young developing talls.
Get those 500 games in the young players as promised, find out who can play and move on.
Any spot on our rookie list must be used to find something speculative - Liam Jurrah could be out there but we won't know with Brad Sh1tbox on our list.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 08:33:01 AM »

No problem with that Smokes (except the insurance bit, what are we insuring ourselves from?)

We are going to lose Thursfield, Moore does his knee Round 1, Gourdis doesn't come up, Astbury crashes into the fence in Round 4 and is out for 10 weeks.  Now we're down to McGuane and ........?  Grimes?  Griffiths?  We might be rebuilding and developing but we learned how to fight out games and win some last year, and those critical lessons will fade and diminish if we aren't competitive going forward.  We can't keep losing and getting smashed in the sole pursuit of putting games into kids - our development to success must be rounded by effort and results.  We might not climb far up the ladder but anything less than more competitive will be a fail in 2011.  Miller as a mentoring mature age rookie is a cheap insurance policy who will mainly earn his keep by assisting the development at Coburg.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 08:36:48 AM »
Does a mature age rookie spot need to be filled? If there is no mature age rookies on the list can that spot be filled by a young rookie?

Ramps

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 08:38:11 AM »
the problem is that this seems to be coming on top of houli and grigg ... lets be honest here these names are the usual substandard type of stuff weve seen from RFC over 25 years in recruiting.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2010, 08:57:12 AM »
Does a mature age rookie spot need to be filled?
No.

If there is no mature age rookies on the list can that spot be filled by a young rookie?
Yes.
There are no mature age spots, as such.
There are 8 rookie spots. 2 of those spots spots can be filled by mature age rookies.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

FNM

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2010, 09:27:04 AM »
What is going on down there? :banghead

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2010, 09:29:44 AM »
 :lol not quite the meltdown I expected, but it could still happen. This should be priceless.

AS smokey pointed out, the quote about Miller understanding and accepting his potential role is an important one to consider.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2010, 09:41:20 AM »
I think people need to take into account the situation we find ourselves in given the compromised draft. The talent pool begins to dilute much quicker this year bcause of the draft concessions of the GC both before the draft with the 17 year old talent and then with 9 picks in the first 20. On top of this, when it comes to the Rookie draft GC has the first 5 picks. What this all means is that their will be far less potential/project players left over for the Rookie Draft meaning by the time you get to your 4th pick etc you might as well fill a hole in the list which for us is obviously leadership.

As a rookie Miller will only play if another player goes down and we are desperate. What he will give us throughout the season is both onfield leadership for our young developing players playing for Coburg plus coaching during training/meetings for our other players.

Miller is not there to take the place of a young player but more for insurance in case we a desperate and more-so, for his leadership and coaching ability.

Given the state of the play with the rookie draft and available talent I think this is a clever move.  :thumbsup

Stripes

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2010, 09:41:30 AM »
I rate Miller as a forward and I believe he was played out of position as a backman when at the D's. Whenever he was moved forward there he kicked goals. At 193cm He would add some height to our midget forward line if we lose one of our talls. He is a good kick of the footy and in all honesty I would prefer to see him in our forward line before Thursfield and McGuane who we threw up forward when we were short last season. Sure we are rebuilding but we can't have the kids running the creche. With Cuz gone, we need some extra onfield experience and Miller would be ideal as he reads the game well, has good hands and has a good work ethic. Even if he doesn't get a run, I'm sure his experience would be valuable at training and at Coburg.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2010, 09:52:25 AM »
Does a mature age rookie spot need to be filled?
No.

If there is no mature age rookies on the list can that spot be filled by a young rookie?
Yes.
There are no mature age spots, as such.
There are 8 rookie spots. 2 of those spots spots can be filled by mature age rookies.
Thanks Fish! I say no then!

tony_montana

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2010, 10:01:04 AM »
so many experts here on this forum im surprised u all arnt coaches at afl by now   ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

brad miller is a giant lump of drift wood floating with us up poo creek

Wrong, talented footballer with great hands who reads the game extremely well.
Dont know the story behind the scenes with Melb in 2010, something not right there though

lmao hes a spud.

no talent, just a big bloke who offers a target, Ben Holland mkII

waste of time

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2010, 10:02:15 AM »
Got really excited there for a while as I thought we were recruiting Brad Green.
Unleash the tornado

jackstar is back again

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2010, 10:25:21 AM »
so many experts here on this forum im surprised u all arnt coaches at afl by now   ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Dont know the story behind the scenes with Melb in 2010, something not right there though

lmao hes a spud.

waste of time

He is hardly big.- would be jack riewoldt size
he isnt a waste of time and he aint a spud

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2010, 10:26:03 AM »

lmao hes a spud.

waste of time
Exactly Tony, He offers a target. What is wrong with that when the guy has good hands and can kick. He has a very good technique actually. Who knows what he might be capable of with some decent delivery. Ben Holland MKII is drawing a long bow. Miller has a ton more pace than Holland. The only comparison you can make between the two is that they both played for Melbourne and both have bigger bodies. I think quite a few of you here have the blinkers on regarding Miller. Firstly he will be drafted as a Mature age rookie, not a first choice KPP. Secondly , have a look at some of his games, you might be surprised to see that he is not as you say a complete waste of time. thirdly, If our current football dept have a specific role for him at the club then thats good enough for me as we are not run by a bunch of nuffers anymore.