Author Topic: THE GRIGG vs COLLINS DEBATE!  (Read 60850 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: THE GRIGG vs COLLINS DEBATE!
« Reply #150 on: October 10, 2010, 07:29:30 PM »
My issue with the trade isn't that we traded out Collo who is the type of player who can easily be replaced and bettered via the draft. It's that we've chased a player from another club who has kicking frailties which is something in modern footy you can't hide. Swapping a skinny player with clean skills for a good-size player with dodgy (foot)skills comes across to me as a sidways trade  :-\.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #151 on: October 10, 2010, 07:32:10 PM »
The other thing to consider as mentioned on SEN is Collins was offered a 3-year contract by Carlton. That along with his family connections to Carlton (nephew of Peter Francis) would've made his decision to agree to be traded easier. No guarantee what would've happened end of 2011 had he remained at Richmond. We need to find better players than Collo and Kingy as our small and midsize forwards going forward. 

Agree OE, but we do need to find them first.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #152 on: October 10, 2010, 07:34:01 PM »
King completely reinvented himself in the second half of the year.
Had twice the season that Collins did.
His field kicking and discipline improved out of sight. Go and watch the replay of our last game against PA, and note how influential he was in in the last quarter. His delivery was, without exaggeration, impeccable.
He's also fast and tough as poo. Proved to be a real handful up forward.
I'd have him in my team over Collo any day.
Im a proud Kingy convert.  :thumbsup

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #153 on: October 10, 2010, 07:36:19 PM »
His field kicking and discipline improved out of sight. Go and watch the replay of our last game against PA, and note how influential he was in in the last quarter. His delivery was, without exaggeration, impeccable.
Spot on  :thumbsup

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #154 on: October 10, 2010, 07:40:23 PM »

Needs to back it up mate and he didnt do that to any great extent this year IMO, had a couple of good games as did Collins but Collins is 22..
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Heart of Darkness

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #155 on: October 10, 2010, 07:46:10 PM »
My issue with the trade isn't that we traded out Collo who is the type of player who can easily be replaced and bettered via the draft. It's that we've chased a player from another club who has kicking frailties which is something in modern footy you can't hide. Swapping a skinny player with clean skills for a good-size player with dodgy (foot)skills comes across to me as a sidways trade  :-\.

Good point mightytiges but i believe there is more chance that Grigg, playing with confidence in a system he understands, can improve his footskills than there is Andy putting on 8 kg and developing some defensive pressure. Maybe me just trying to be optimistic but the offseason is the time for that :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #156 on: October 10, 2010, 07:50:15 PM »
The other thing to consider as mentioned on SEN is Collins was offered a 3-year contract by Carlton. That along with his family connections to Carlton (nephew of Peter Francis) would've made his decision to agree to be traded easier. No guarantee what would've happened end of 2011 had he remained at Richmond. We need to find better players than Collo and Kingy as our small and midsize forwards going forward. 

Agree OE, but we do need to find them first.
True. Taylor is one we will hope comes on.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #157 on: October 10, 2010, 07:54:45 PM »

Good point mightytiges but i believe there is more chance that Grigg, playing with confidence in a system he understands, can improve his footskills than there is Andy putting on 8 kg and developing some defensive pressure. Maybe me just trying to be optimistic but the offseason is the time for that :thumbsup
If it's due in part to poor-ish decision making then yes it's something a good coach with a good structured team could "fix". However if it's a technical skill flaw then it become something difficult to fix in an adult footballer other than perhaps a 5% improvement with lots of practice IMO.

ps. Welcome aboard OER by the way.

Offline jezza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #158 on: October 10, 2010, 08:02:04 PM »
Not like Collins had great decision making abilities either, although the number of times he got run down from behind seemed to reduce as the year went on.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #159 on: October 10, 2010, 08:12:23 PM »
Not like Collins had great decision making abilities either, although the number of times he got run down from behind seemed to reduce as the year went on.
Like I said I don't have issues with Collo being traded unlike some Tiger supporters who are carrying on (especially on BF). To me this is a sideways trade. Swapping one player with a flaw (too slight) for another player with different flaw (dodgy footskills) ..... meh! The only positive is it didn't cost us a pick.

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #160 on: October 10, 2010, 08:13:40 PM »

Needs to back it up mate and he didnt do that to any great extent this year IMO, had a couple of good games as did Collins but Collins is 22..

agreed.
but all players, always need to back up strong performances.
Doesn't mean it's not encouraging or cause for enthusiasm.
I had Kingy marked for the axe. not anymore...

Offline jezza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #161 on: October 10, 2010, 08:16:25 PM »
Like I said I don't have issues with Collo being traded unlike some Tiger supporters who are carrying on (especially on BF). To me this is a sideways trade. Swapping one player with a flaw (too slight) for another player with different flaw (dodgy footskills) ..... meh! The only positive is it didn't cost us a pick.

No problem with Collins for Grigg. The only negative is we didn't get another pick or an upgrade given the respective contractual situations.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #162 on: October 10, 2010, 08:33:40 PM »
No problem with Collins for Grigg. The only negative is we didn't get another pick or an upgrade given the respective contractual situations.
We obviously couldn't get Grigg and Houli in the PSD so I guess the Grigg trade was by far the more realistic option. Essendon is acting the desperate rabble they are at the minute with their laughable demands for Houli.

ps. Not holding my breath but if Jacobs fell into our lap in the PSD then we'd screw over the Blues anyhow lol.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #163 on: October 10, 2010, 11:21:23 PM »
there is no debate

grigg is now a tiger
collins isnt

end of story

suck it up

ps at least we upgraded  far more upside in grigg

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #164 on: October 10, 2010, 11:47:17 PM »
Watch Grigg to learn off Shane Tuck and mould into a player to fill Shane's role after he finishes up which unfortunatly is within probably 3 seasons max you would think.

Collins can be replaced through mid range draft selections where as Shane Tucks role is lot difficult and I think Grigg will slot in perfectly.

Good trade in my opinion and RFC won out but after hearing Grigg turned down a Carlton contract and wanted to come to Richmond for the exact same $ it hurts that we couldn't have had a big win instead of a small win. Sad to see a Tiger favourite in a Carlton jumper.

RFC Faithful is ruthless I hope they allow Griff to warm into it and don't over rate Collins' omission from the squad.

Grigg will definitely add more to the squad than Collins.
Go Tigers!