Author Topic: Official Delistings  (Read 6303 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Official Delistings
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2010, 03:56:05 AM »
well that was very much needed, well done tiges

Just dissapointed we're wasting 2 rookie spots on Hislop and Miller.

Can you imagine if Tuck, White, Graham & King didn't save/extend their careers this season?  it would have been 15 changes - 29 changes in 2 seasons yikes!  :o

A bit of perspective for those who sometimes get ahead of themselves as to where this club is at

Good post. Istill think that people are judging the club's decision to take Miller and Hislop in the rookie draft is a bit harsh. I think if it was an uncompromised draft this criticism would be justified but given the diluted draft I think their inclusion is more than valid. While the talent pool in considered excellent this year in the early rounds, clubs are concerned about finding players in the later stages of the Nation Draft. By the time the PSD is finished the pickings will be incredibly slim come the Rookie Draft. Any players we would take in the 3rd and 4th rounds of the rookie draft would not even be speculative, they would be a waste if time and resources. At least with Hislop and Miller we can fill any holes for the short term until the draft is untampered with once again.

Godd delistings IMHO  :thumbsup

Stripes
Sorry Stripes but I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. I understand what you're saying as far the talent pool is thin at late rookie picks. No issue with that. However, that doesn't mean we then clog our rookie list with mature players who we know 100% are not going to last. That is a waste of time, money and resources. Every year there are teenagers who are overlooked by every single AFL club in one draft year only to picked up in a later draft having shown form in a state league which finally attracts interest from AFL clubs - Michael Barlow, Liam Anthony, Harry Taylor, Jason Porplyzia, Matthew Priddis, Ben McGlynn, Nick Maxwell, Aaron Davey, Matthew Boyd were all drafted in subsequent drafts from state leagues after being overlooked at 18 years of age. Any of those players could have been picked up with a late rookie pick at 18 or even the year before they eventually were. Then there are just the good finds late in the rookie draft - in 2007 we re-rookied Cam Howat at pick 47 in the rookie draft using the insurance and weak pool arguments; at pick 57 Geelong drafted Shane Mumford from their VFL side. In 2008 we passed on our last rookie pick (67) yet Greg Broughton was picked up by Freo at 74 from East Fremantle. Sure the chance of finding a player with a late rookie pick is slim but it isn't 0% and the rewards are great for recruiters who can spot late developers before anyone else does. Clubs that put their faith and resources into the drafts are more likely to succeed than clubs that recycle known players with no future.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2010, 05:22:47 AM »
You will defend him to the day you die WP..... :thumbsup

Hmmm... not really. When things are true you cant defend when things are not true I find them funny, have a laugh and move on   ;D :lol

BTW WAT I'm not surprised at all he got de-listed  ;)

On another note, we don't really have anyone to bag next year now do we, the list looks pretty good..... no doubt someone will cop it though.. :lol

Oh we do .. I would think Nahas currently holds the title with all Tiger eyes on poor Grigg who will take up the mantle if he plays one bad game  ;D

Yeah true WP there will always be some one in our team eh.. ;)
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2010, 10:27:40 AM »

Can you imagine if Tuck, White, Graham & King didn't save/extend their careers this season?  it would have been 15 changes - 29 changes in 2 seasons yikes!  :o

A bit of perspective for those who sometimes get ahead of themselves as to where this club is at

Good post. Istill think that people are judging the club's decision to take Miller and Hislop in the rookie draft is a bit harsh. I think if it was an uncompromised draft this criticism would be justified but given the diluted draft I think their inclusion is more than valid. While the talent pool in considered excellent this year in the early rounds, clubs are concerned about finding players in the later stages of the Nation Draft. By the time the PSD is finished the pickings will be incredibly slim come the Rookie Draft. Any players we would take in the 3rd and 4th rounds of the rookie draft would not even be speculative, they would be a waste if time and resources. At least with Hislop and Miller we can fill any holes for the short term until the draft is untampered with once again.

Stripes
Sorry Stripes but I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. I understand what you're saying as far the talent pool is thin at late rookie picks. No issue with that. However, that doesn't mean we then clog our rookie list with mature players who we know 100% are not going to last. That is a waste of time, money and resources. Every year there are teenagers who are overlooked by every single AFL club in one draft year only to picked up in a later draft having shown form in a state league which finally attracts interest from AFL clubs - Michael Barlow, Liam Anthony, Harry Taylor, Jason Porplyzia, Matthew Priddis, Ben McGlynn, Nick Maxwell, Aaron Davey, Matthew Boyd were all drafted in subsequent drafts from state leagues after being overlooked at 18 years of age. Any of those players could have been picked up with a late rookie pick at 18 or even the year before they eventually were. Then there are just the good finds late in the rookie draft - in 2007 we re-rookied Cam Howat at pick 47 in the rookie draft using the insurance and weak pool arguments; at pick 57 Geelong drafted Shane Mumford from their VFL side. In 2008 we passed on our last rookie pick (67) yet Greg Broughton was picked up by Freo at 74 from East Fremantle. Sure the chance of finding a player with a late rookie pick is slim but it isn't 0% and the rewards are great for recruiters who can spot late developers before anyone else does. Clubs that put their faith and resources into the drafts are more likely to succeed than clubs that recycle known players with no future.

You are spot on WA tiger.  Old players who aren't going to make it should not be drafted for any kind of insurance.  we dont need insurance, we need to build a core.

Miller and Hislop would be stupid picks.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2010, 11:39:06 AM »
I would suggest that there is scope for both ways of thinking. Miller would be brought in for not only as a back up but as a development coach for such a young list- good move if he has the right qualities of say a Cuz

I dont know the full story will Hislop but he might not make to our list but I would imagine if there is anther prospect that is available he might be left out. If he has done all the right things by the club we could do worse than having him as a backup.

PS: noy all kids are star either, so I just hope our recruiters are still doing their homework - but I would be surprised if they are not

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2010, 02:13:32 PM »
non of those player you mention are 195cm plus chfs

ie. Miller

Stripes

Tigermonk

« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2010, 06:14:33 PM »
McMahon highest paid VFL footballer ever  :lol

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2010, 06:24:27 PM »

Stripes

I can completely see where you are coming from MT but I juest think that Miller and perhaps even Hislop are more to do with protecting and developig our current players rather than finding new players in a position where it is likely such late picks will be just as bigger a waste. For every success story that comes from the rookie list their are scores who don't. More money is wasted on these prospective players than two mature aged players that can definately fill a short term need at the club.

If we were using all our rookie picks on Mature Aged players I'd be upset but the last two picks in an extremely dilluted talent pool I can certainly live with. I wouldn't recommend it in a normal draft but in the next two, I think most clubs will be looking to develop what they have rather than grab a player who is extremely unlikely to come on.

In my opinion I think we are still bringing in at least 5 young players through the ND, traded for 2 young midfielders and are rerooking one young player leaving us to bring in only one mature aged rookie/development coach. Seems like we are trying to make the most of an unusual position.

Just my opinion of course MT

Stripes

Tigermonk

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2010, 06:58:06 PM »
Crazy delisting a player like Polo. Another club will snap him up

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2010, 07:07:38 PM »

Stripes

so true MT and one of the smartest posts i have read in a while.

Hislop to protect our youngsters. Stripes you cant be serious. Hislop is a dud of the highest order. An absolute waste of time that guy.

MT is 100% right there is no such thing as diluted draft. So many rookies now play seniors and these 2 selections is a major waste of time and could've been used to find a hidden gem. Guys like Maxwell and Davey were rookies werent they.  

We have to stop treating this rookie as a joke by re signing duds e.g howatt and Hislop.  :banghead :banghead

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2010, 08:06:42 PM »
Rating Deledio a 5 and wanting to keep Polo?
When are you checking into the asylum?

the claw

« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2010, 11:09:34 PM »
These delistings or trades have really brought a smile to my face.

Never would i have imagined that all of Hislop, Tambling, Mcmuffin and Thomspson would all be gone at seasons end.

Hardwick is right on the money what a great job his doing with this list.

Hislop is a joke but that Thompson is something else. Honestly those recruiters must have been on ice or that Meow stuff for recruting him.

sheesh i would have thought the opposite. if they didnt go there would be hell to pay.

not saying all these blokes are duds or will go but they are to put it kindly players who i would definately be looking to upgrade in time ATM .
some may prove to be decent players but i have reasons why i have each in the gun. heres hoping some prove me very wrong.as i said atm.

graham, jackson, farmer, king edwards hicks  mcguane nahas nason rance  thursfield tuck white webberley. 8 of these i would not hesitate to trade or delist. especially if we can replicate last yrs draft.

the claw

« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2010, 11:15:13 PM »
oh by the way meant to mention femantle in anticipation of people saying we have turned over enough and we dont need to do more.

in 3 yrs they have turned over 33 players  with another 11 from the list proper alone this yr. this from a side who started with a better base than us and made finals in 06. yet i think they could still look to upgrade 5 of the remaining 11 from 08.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2010, 12:29:03 AM »

Will watch the draft very very very closely to hear his name be called....

To slow for AFL, average skills, poor decision making.... If he gets picked up I'll eat my shoe.

Horrible call.
Go Tigers!

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2010, 01:25:48 AM »
Rating Deledio a 5 and wanting to keep Polo?
When are you checking into the asylum?

Hahahahaha :lol :rollin :lol

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2010, 10:48:43 AM »

I actually heard from a reliable source that he's already been snapped up by Sony Pictures after a Hollywood talent scout stumbled upon a highlight reel of his on YouTube. They see him as a specialist stunt man for action films as one of those guys running away when a bomb is about to go off. Normally they have to slow the film down for dramatic effect, but with Dean's exceptional gift, no slow motion post production processing is required, cutting production time by 20% and saving 15% off the bottom line. Jerry Bruckheimer on set recently referred to Dean as "Mesmerising"

I was also told that he is earmarked to star in the upcoming Pedro Almodovar Art house Film "Watching Paint dry whilst the grass grows."

You heard it here first!  ;)