Author Topic: Rookie Draft #60 - Pass  (Read 5836 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Rookie Draft #60 - Pass
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 12:00:51 PM »
Pathetic!  :banghead

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 12:04:14 PM »

MT, who would have you taken with pick 60?
Put it out there and lets return in 12 months time as see how pathetic we have been??

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 12:37:32 PM »
Put it out there and lets return in 12 months time as see how pathetic we have been??
Why just pick 60 TFT? We used picks 28 and 45 on a retreads who will not be part of our future. Just one pick today on a newbie and even then it was Coburg ressies player from a Coburg list that is poor.

I'm curious how Ben Haren (went to the Swans) goes but that's not why I'm saying our effort was pathetic. In the end the rookie list is for the development of project players (ie. late developers). So you're telling me there was no one running around in the VFL, SANFL or WAFL who doesn't deserve a chance ahead of a Hislop? Every year there are rookie success stories that come out of nowhere. Every year there are kids who are overlooked only to be picked up a year or two later and who then go on and make it. We give ourselves no chance of finding these players rookieing recycled duds. This insurance argument is a load of crap! I've got a return question for those who support this type of recruiting - who out of Miller and Hislop will still be at Tigerland in 2013? If your answer is both will be delisted by then then that says it all.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 12:38:04 PM »
I would have taken Barden

Offline TigerTimTam

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 12:56:53 PM »
2nd best pick out of the lot we picked today.  :banghead

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 12:57:33 PM »

could have taken a kid from africa or Ireland

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 01:16:14 PM »
Why just pick 60 TFT? We used picks 28 and 45 on a retreads who will not be part of our future. Just one pick today on a newbie and even then it was Coburg ressies player from a Coburg list that is poor.

I'm curious how Ben Haren (went to the Swans) goes but that's not why I'm saying our effort was pathetic. In the end the rookie list is for the development of project players (ie. late developers). So you're telling me there was no one running around in the VFL, SANFL or WAFL who doesn't deserve a chance ahead of a Hislop? Every year there are rookie success stories that come out of nowhere. Every year there are kids who are overlooked only to be picked up a year or two later and who then go on and make it. We give ourselves no chance of finding these players rookieing recycled duds. This insurance argument is a load of crap! I've got a return question for those who support this type of recruiting - who out of Miller and Hislop will still be at Tigerland in 2013? If your answer is both will be delisted by then then that says it all.
We have one of the youngest lists in AFL history. A little bit of experience is what we needed and it's what we got.
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 01:17:05 PM »
This insurance argument is a load of crap! I've got a return question for those who support this type of recruiting - who out of Miller and Hislop will still be at Tigerland in 2013? If your answer is both will be delisted by then then that says it all.

They have just as much chance of being there as Jakobi, Hicks, Contin, O'Reilly, and Westhoff. How many of those guy's do you see still on our list in 2013?? It is a double ended argument. I think we have the mix right, in a draft that has been Raped by 2 new teams we have given ourselves a mix of youth and experience and haven't bothered using our last pick just for the sake of it. As I said, lets gather back here in12 months time and have a real Pal Wal about it when everyone has a season under there belt.

And as far as insurance goes, Miller can be more than insurance if he wants it. I can see him playing regular football for us and taking a decent backman every time he lines up. You couldn't say he was stalling anyone's development unless Westhoff manages to put on 20kg's and learns ho to mark.

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 01:19:04 PM »
In the end the rookie list is for the development of project players (ie. late developers).

MT that's one possible use for the rookie list. I suspect the club has another couple of suggested uses for it.

I understand your argument about uncovering gems from the rookie list but that smacks of gambling to me. There's a reason these kids are overlooked and if you play the odds the likelihood of one of them coming on to be really good is slim. They are bloody hard to pick and come as a surprise to most people when they succeed. Of course the team that pick one looks like a stuffing genius but I credit it more to good luck than good planning.

For better or worse I think our club is using the rookie list as a strategic tool.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 01:24:50 PM »
Pathetic!  :banghead

could have taken a kid from africa or Ireland
Why? An international rookie is outside of the rookie list (except the Irish)
We're still going to fill the spot anyway, so it's a moot point
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 02:14:00 PM by Infamy »

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2010, 01:49:11 PM »
And who said we aren't going to fill it for crying out loud!  If all our 'priority' choices had been picked by then this now lets us reset, invite our preferred few down to train for another/further look, and then we take the best of the rest.  Bloody hell, it must be Chicken Little Day.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2010, 02:04:49 PM »
it must be Chicken Little Day.

Could we cook chicken little over the embers of the burning club? We might get somthing out of the draft after all ;D ;D ;D

Offline TigerTimTam

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2010, 02:35:48 PM »
MT that's one possible use for the rookie list. I suspect the club has another couple of suggested uses for it.

I understand your argument about uncovering gems from the rookie list but that smacks of gambling to me. There's a reason these kids are overlooked and if you play the odds the likelihood of one of them coming on to be really good is slim. They are bloody hard to pick and come as a surprise to most people when they succeed. Of course the team that pick one looks like a effing genius but I credit it more to good luck than good planning.

For better or worse I think our club is using the rookie list as a strategic tool.

Sorry but this sounds like a bit of a cop out.

Its a very one-eyed policy demonstrating a lack of ability to develop your own from all layers of the draft. Sorry, their must be a bigger reason we are overlooking the kids yet other clubs are not. Finals sides are not achieved solely on high draft picks but by list balance.  Sorry, its just a completely uninspiring rookie draft for me. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 03:03:52 PM »
Finals sides are not achieved solely on high draft picks but by list balance.

Exactly , and that's probably why we didn't take any more kids. You do need to have some experience on your list to achieve the balance you're talking about.
 Keep the faith

Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

gerkin greg

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2010, 03:08:13 PM »
Sorry, their must be a bigger reason we are overlooking the kids yet other clubs are not.

Which clubs didn't pick up a recycled player (or 2) in this rookie draft?