Author Topic: Who Will Win The Final Rookie Spot? [merged]  (Read 5733 times)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
Re: Training Squad - last rookie spot still left to be filled
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 12:25:46 AM »
Casserly  ;D Wish we'd take a chance on someone who might actually show something.
Casserley showed plenty, it was his body that let him down

Cass spent the majority of his time in the Coburg reserves. He's done fairly well in the WAFL but there are surely better players to take than him?

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 12:36:12 AM »
Casserly  ;D Wish we'd take a chance on someone who might actually show something.
Casserley showed plenty, it was his body that let him down

Cass spent the majority of his time in the Coburg reserves. He's done fairly well in the WAFL but there are surely better players to take than him?
He spent most of his time recovering from injury, whenever he'd step up a level his hammy would go ping and he'd start again.
Given he's had an injury free couple of years in the WAFL then I see no reason why we can't have him train with us, if the hammy goes at AFL level training then we can give someone else a go. It's not like these 3 are fixed until March, we can change the list, but it's only 3 at a time.

Pretty minor thing to be having a sook about IMO

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 12:41:39 AM »
Not having a sook, I just reckon it's a waste of time. He's not that good and never will be

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 02:14:10 AM »
Not having a sook, I just reckon it's a waste of time. He's not that good and never will be
So you're having a sook then
It's settled

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 02:19:15 AM »
So you're having a sook then
It's settled

No, just giving an opinion (strange to give an opinion on a forum I know ;D). Go to bed, it's past your bed time and your quite obviously getting angry. :-*

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 06:53:33 PM »
If he can stay on the track and play regular footy, Cass could be a handy player.

Massive kick and accurate also. Decent size body wise also.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 06:20:10 PM »

he was a good kick

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
One rookie spot up for grabs (RFC)
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2010, 12:43:34 PM »
One rookie spot up for grabs
By Tony Greenberg
Fri 10 Dec, 2010

Richmond is trialling three players, as part of its pre-season training squad, with one of them to fill the remaining spot on the Club’s rookie list.

This year, the AFL introduced a training squad selection draft, whereby clubs could leave one rookie position open following the rookie draft, to be filled after the NAB Cup grand final, and before the start of the 2011 premiership season.

Clubs were permitted to trial up to three players for that one rookie vacancy, with only Richmond and Hawthorn taking up the opportunity.

The Tigers have chosen Travis Casserly, Liam Corrie and Mitch Keddell to train with their squad throughout the pre-season.

Under the AFL’s rules, training squad draftees are eligible to train with their club at any time during the pre-season and may play NAB Cup and NAB Challenge matches.

Here’s a summary of Richmond’s three training squad draftees by the Tiger recruiting department . . .

TRAVIS CASSERLY

Date of Birth: 20/5/87
Height: 187cm
Weight: 82kg
Club: Swan Districts (WA)
Position: Rebounding defender

Travis will be well known to the Tiger faithful after spending three luckless years at the Club from 2006-08.

We have continued to monitor Travis’ progress over the past couple of years, and he has finally had some continuity with his football, playing two full seasons at WAFL club Swan Districts, including a key role in their thrilling one-point grand final victory over Claremont this year.

Travis has continued to develop as a player, while still displaying the exciting football traits he has always had - speed, run-and-carry, and penetrating kicking.

We feel Travis, at 23 years of age, is ready and deserving of another chance to prove he is ready for a return to AFL level.

LIAM CORRIE

Date of Birth: 15/6/92
Club: South Adelaide (SA)
Height: 178cm
Weight: 74kg
Position: Small forward

Liam has had an injury-interrupted couple of years, with some knee and hamstring issues, but we have continued to keep a close eye on him, due to his sheer talent

He was in the SA State under-18s squad in 2009 and played senior league football for South Adelaide in 2009 as a 16-year-old.

His 2010 season was restricted to a handful of appearances at colts level, but he is now returning to full fitness.

Liam is an outstanding tackler, who enjoys the physical aspects of the game and creates real nervousness in opposition backlines. He is a good left-foot kick and has the leap and athleticism to be dangerous overhead.

We look forward to Liam working on his fitness and putting forward his case for a spot on our rookie list over the next few months.

MITCH KEDDELL

Date of Birth: 7/8/88
Club: Port Melbourne
Height: 186cm
Weight: 90kg
Position: Midfielder

Mitch showed strong improvement in his football this year, following his move from Williamstown to Port Melbourne.

He played some outstanding VFL football, particularly in the middle of the year, and displayed elite foot skills.

Mitch also tested well at State screening this year, with a 2.97 20-metre time trial, as well as a strong agility performance.

While Mitch is 22 years old, we feel he could develop enormously in the full-time AFL environment, and we are pleased to give him the opportunity to push his case for a spot on our rookie list, over the coming months.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/106114/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

gerkin greg

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2010, 01:07:45 PM »
All good candidates. Keddell sounds like the perfect Hislop replacement and Corrie the perfect Nahas replacement........

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2010, 10:06:03 AM »
Here's training squad video of Cass

http://bigpondvideo.com/RichmondTV/319137/training-squad-travis-casserly/

Geez he looks like he goes alright, if he played like that for us I wouldn't be complaining.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2010, 06:22:05 PM »
Wow, I know they were only highlights but gee he looks all right, has a fair hoof on him :o good luck to him...........

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2010, 07:04:02 PM »
The possibility of Cass coming back to Richmond was mentioned to me in the middle of the year (I might have posted it as a rumour at the time IIRC). So I'm guessing he'd be the favoured one of the three. FJ was also a part-time recruiter under Miller when we first drafted Cass so he obviously likes Cass to keep a track of him. Playing in Swan Districts premiership side helps as well.

http://www.wafootball.com.au/wafl/2338-loyal-swan-casserly-rewarded-with-premiership

The question is now Cass is older and more developed can his body (hammies) now stand up to the rigours of full-time AFL footy and training which it couldn't when he was still in his late teens?!
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Liam Corrie in fight to become a Tiger (Sunday Mail)
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2010, 03:54:39 AM »
Corrie in fight to become a Tiger
By Jai Bednall
Sunday Mail
12 Dec 2010, Page 73

SOUTH Adelaide junior Liam Corrie leaves for Richmond today to enter a three-man battle for the final spot on the club's rookie list.

One of two SA youngsters given the chance to fight for an AFL career in the first ever train-on squad draft last week, Corrie will spend this week with the Tigers before returning for Christmas and then the first three months of next year training at Punt Rd.

The opportunity comes after a season in which the highly-skilled left-footer was limited to just four under-18 games with the Panthers because of knee, back and hamstring injuries.

But the Tigers have admired Corrie from afar since he made his debut in the Panthers' league side as a 16-year-old and have given him the chance to prove he belongs at AFL level.

And while the $635 weekly pay he will receive is far less than what star Tigers Brett Deledio and Jack Riewoldt earn, it's almost double what he's paid as a first-year carpentry apprentice.

A product of Morphett Vale Football Club's junior program, Corrie will need to be at his best to beat mature-age rivals Travis Casserly and Mitch Keddell for a rookie contract.

Casserly, a 23-year-old rebounding defender from WAFL premier Swan Districts, has been given another chance after spending three years on Richmond's list from 2006-08.

Keddell is a 22-year-old midfielder from Port Melbourne.

Both have years of experience on 18-year-old Corrie, but that is not expected to count against him if he can get his fitness right.

"I would have liked to have done a little bit more running before heading over but I'll just go there and do my best,'' Corrie said.

"I didn't think I was going to get picked up this year because of all my injuries so it's great just to be given a chance.''

The Tigers described Corrie as an "outstanding tackler, who enjoys the physical aspects of the game and creates real nervousness in opposition backlines'' in a statement on their club website last week. "Liam has had an injury-interrupted couple of years, with some knee and hamstring issues, but we have continued to keep a close eye on him,'' the statement read.

"We look forward to Liam working on his fitness and putting forward his case for a spot on our rookie list.''

Under a new rule introduced this year, clubs are permitted to trial three players for one vacancy before making a final decision in March.

Train-on players are eligible to train with their club during the preseason and may play NAB Cup matches.

Hawthorn was the other club to take advantage of the new rule.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2010, 11:32:35 AM »
i wonder if all three will get a run in the all stars match?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI