Author Topic: Rank our Midfield  (Read 8561 times)

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Rank our Midfield
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2010, 05:47:14 PM »
Sorry to harp on this stripes but you said cotch found himself in space more than lids in this role ,so do I understand you as intimating that cotch has been more effective? Again the stats do not back this up or am I missing something. Interesting to note also about lids saying he had trouble with a tag.  Have you ever heard a player say they did it easy against a tag? And I believe lids had to say something along the party line. My personal belief is Rawlings was putting pressure on quite a few players BUT not necessarily always the ones who really needed it , Wallace also.
Personally, i think Cotch has made an impact ealier than lids did, even though he won the rising star award! Lids, up until recently, has been a little maligned. Cotch has not! That may have a lot to do with being a number 1 draft pick but i think Cotch will be a better player! That is not bagging Lids, he is great, but Cotch will be better imo.

the claw

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2010, 01:04:42 AM »
Rank our midfielders from 1st to last. Firstly, after running through the list I was amazed by how many midfielders we have  :o Many of them could and probably will play in attack or defence but currently they are midfielders. I haven't added players such as Newman, Deledio, Connor, Taylor, Dea, Farmer, King etc who do/could rotate through the midfield but play predominately in defence or attack.

Here is my order based on midfield 'importance' but not necessarily form -

1.   Cotchin - complete package, inside/outside, beautiful skills, natural leader, potential upside is enormous
2.   Foley - was clearly our best midfielder before he was injured
3.   Martin - amazing strength in congestion, wonderful skills
4.   Jackson - incredibly important to our midfield structure and our best taggers by a country mile
5.   Edwards - X-Factor, pace and skills, has increased in size too
6.   Morton - beautiful footskills, knows how to find a goal, defensive skills a deficency at the moment
7.  Tuck - very under-rated, inside work is invaluable, skills/decision-making lets him down
8.   Houli - fantastic footskills, great tackler, would be ranked higher but has not played for the club as yet
9.   Grigg - Tough, huge engine, big kick, would be ranked higher but has not played for the club as yet
10. Conca - Amazing upsize, beautiful skills, inside/outide player, has played for the WAFL but still as raw as they come. Potential alone pushes him up the rankings for me.
11. White - fast, gets best out of his natural ability, good-honest players
12. Nason - good first season
13. Webberley - wonderful kick but needs to continue to improve
14. Nahas - great pace, dangerous around goals, struggles to hold tackles,undersized, seems to go going backwards,
15.  Contin - small, but potential to be great inside player
16.  Hicks - super fast, great goal sense but very raw and undersized
17. Helbig - highlights looks good but still a baby. Could easily be much higher.

Thanks

Stripes

should i do a realistic appraisal of those 17.  hmm dont bother claw let the ferals wallow in their delusions of grandeur after all it is only december.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2010, 01:07:30 AM »
Claw is here!

Gods gift to football speaks!

:gobdrop

gerkin greg

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2010, 10:13:14 AM »
let the ferals wallow in their delusions of grandeur after all it is only december.

but wallowing keeps us cool in summer mr. maudlin  :'(

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2010, 02:10:01 PM »
Sorry to harp on this stripes but you said cotch found himself in space more than lids in this role ,so do I understand you as intimating that cotch has been more effective? Again the stats do not back this up or am I missing something. Interesting to note also about lids saying he had trouble with a tag.  Have you ever heard a player say they did it easy against a tag? And I believe lids had to say something along the party line. My personal belief is Rawlings was putting pressure on quite a few players BUT not necessarily always the ones who really needed it , Wallace also.

Dogged, I'm not suggesting Cotch won more of the ball but more-so that Cotch has better better coped with a tag. Lids played as an outside midfielder until 2009 when he started to move more into the packs and subsequently broke a finger I believe whereas Cotch is piling in under the packs already. Lids had the fitness and pace to carry the ball down the wings while Cotch has been underdone yet still performed well.

My stance is that Cotch is better at breaking a tag than Lids was. I suggest this is the case because  Lids and the coaches stated this assertion directly and he was moved to the wing, forwardline and backline to avoid a tag. Cotch has never been shielded regardless of his current health. He has been educated through training, off-field strategising and on-field structure and experience.

The stats show Lids has had more of the ball but he was a ball carrier and a goal scorer while Cotch is an inside playmaker who has never had a preseason or injury free year. This year will may well get our answer to who can break a tag more consistently and perform better under such continuous scrutiny if Cotch does finally train unrestricted and have an uninterrupted year.

By the way, Lids has not been a designated midfielder this year so how has he taken over the focus of  this topic so exclusively  ???  :P

Stripes

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2010, 02:14:38 PM »
should i do a realistic appraisal of those 17.  hmm dont bother claw let the ferals wallow in their delusions of grandeur after all it is only december.

Delusions of grandeur... :o The thread is about ranking OUR midfield not comparing them to other teams. Where is the delusion there?

But all the same please enlighten us with your 'realistic appraisal'. This feral would love to hear reality according to claw.  :bow

Offline dogged

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2010, 08:50:35 PM »
I think it was because you said lids doesn't handle a tag and cotch does BUT no matter ...... you say tomaaaaato I say tomarto , it is all opinion

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2010, 10:36:26 PM »
I think it was because you said lids doesn't handle a tag and cotch does BUT no matter ...... you say tomaaaaato I say tomarto , it is all opinion

:cheers Have a great christmas  :santa

Offline dogged

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2010, 10:41:41 PM »
you too!!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2010, 11:04:48 PM »

....... reality according to claw.

That would be the same as Military Intelligence?

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2010, 01:22:07 PM »
I have stolen the "Claws" realistic appraisal of our midfield from his laptop.(I am a malicious troublemaker too.)
Here it is.

1) Cotchin.....OK
2) Foley.....over the hill
3) Martin....OK
4) Jackson...crap
5) Edwards...crap
6) morton....crap
7) Tuck....double crap
8) houli....essendon crap
9) grigg....carlton crap

10-17) all crap.
Unleash the tornado

the claw

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2010, 03:50:40 PM »
hmm i believe i did a thread in january titled an honest and realistic appraisal of our players. what i will do is go find that and start anew.