Author Topic: RFC Players - Non 1st Rounders or Recycled Players  (Read 547 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
RFC Players - Non 1st Rounders or Recycled Players
« on: April 13, 2014, 05:48:13 PM »
Looking around the competetion, there are more players than ever before playing so its no unusual to see a player who you don't really know much about and plays well. Martin Gleeson an example right now for Essendon just about BOG and Matthew Jaensch for Adelaide has been pretty good off half back this year. Very very unknown players, mainly because they have been taken low in the drafts / rookie draft / pre season draft.

Begs the question who are our players who we have drafted outside 1st round / Under Pick 20 and recycled players through trades, pre season draft and free agency. There aren't any at all... I've graded successful picks based on the expectation of a player at that stage of the draft.

Chris Newman - Pick 55 (success)
Dylan Grimes - Pick 2 in Pre Season Draft (predicting success)
Matt Dea - Pick 44 (unsuccessful thus far in 5th season)
David Astbury - Pick 35 (predicting success)
Jake Batchelor - Pick 30 (unsuccesful thus far in his 4th season)
Daniel Jackson - Pick 53 (success)
Jake King - Pick 24 in Rookie Draft (success)
Brad Helbig - Pick 47 (unsuccessful in 4th season)
Nathan Foley - Pick 4 Rookie Draft (success)
Brett O'Hanlon - Pick 9 Pre Season Draft (unsuccessul thus far in 3rd season)

Kamdyn McIntosh - Pick 31 (developing)
Liam McBean - Pick 33 (developing)
Matt McDonough - Pick 42 (developing)
Matt Arnot - Pick 55 (developing)
Todd Elton - Pick 26 (developing)

Taking out Newman, King and Foley as they won't be part of our next finals campaign let alone premiership. Jackson is an established player but I'll still count him, my point was more to reflect on the recent drafting post first round over the last 5-6 years. Other than Jackson, we have 2 successful draft selections on the whole list. 2 out of 10 (Or 2 out of 7 without the veterans) with 5 developing. After this season and our veterans are moved on, we will have 12 players on the list that have been drafted to the club via the Draft post first round. The rest of the playing list is recycled players fro other clubs and first rounders/Top 20 picks. That is ridiculous. 12 players on the list that are home bred post first round.... How on earth can that be a blueprint for success when we have gone through a rebuilding within the last 6 years.
Go Tigers!

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: RFC Players - Non 1st Rounders or Recycled Players
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 05:55:23 PM »
Mate, I get where you are coming from but the entire football universe knew it was going to be tough rebuilding a crap list at the very time 2 new clubs came into the competition. I'm not saying its impossible with the right approach and I'm not giving up after a bad month but it hasn't helped.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: RFC Players - Non 1st Rounders or Recycled Players
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 06:04:19 PM »

Miles 25 possessions
O'Hanlon 24
McIntosh 21
Foley 20
McDonough 20
Helbig 17
Lennon 17.[/i]