Author Topic: The Fighting Tiger Fund - "Giving 110%" [merged]  (Read 66686 times)

gerkin greg

Re: The Fighting Tiger Fund
« Reply #330 on: March 17, 2011, 11:17:47 PM »
Great effort  :clapping

I reckon the club will be disappointed at least internally, externally they will say its a great start and the rest, but if the rich and powerful supporters can only come up with $2.3 million then we will have a real challenge to get to $6 million.

Took the Dees and their supposed well heeled supporters 2 of these events to clear their $4m

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #331 on: March 17, 2011, 11:18:56 PM »
Like I said earlier, bad timing should have done it midyear winter time when there's nothing else going on.

The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #332 on: March 17, 2011, 11:19:15 PM »
The million dollar donation came from a anonymous benefactors group with a major chunk coming from one individual.

The FTF tally is now $2.5m after starting the night at $200k.

Brayshaw was impressed as he was saying it (and probably envious as well).

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #333 on: March 17, 2011, 11:24:51 PM »
The million dollar donation came from a anonymous benefactors group with a major chunk coming from one individual.

The FTF tally is now $2.5m after starting the night at $200k.

Brayshaw was impressed as he was saying it (and probably envious as well).

So is it still going?
Sounds like the pledges have finished as they were done all at once according to Infamy.

I remember Benny Gale saying they plan another night later in the year to thank the donators and hopefully to raise more money. Remember it took Melbourne two of these big gala nights over 2 years to wipe out their debt.

The one positive from tonight, even if people were expecting more money to be raised, is that the loan repayments will be reduced by quite a bit after tonight.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #334 on: March 17, 2011, 11:27:41 PM »
2.5 million is better than nothing I am sure all agree on this.

Well done to the RFC and all who contributed to the night especially Benny Gale.

He has been a breath of fresh air to the club.

10 FLAGS

« Reply #335 on: March 17, 2011, 11:30:31 PM »
$2.3 million dollars divided by say 250 donors = $9200 each and of that $3000 was just the get in charge. You would have hoped that we could have gotten say $15,000 average and that would have given us $3.75 million. Anyway, its a good start.

Offline smasha

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #336 on: March 17, 2011, 11:31:21 PM »
That's a great start and let's hope from now on we grow on an upward graph in the fund and memberships.

No more possum poo hitting the floor at our club.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #337 on: March 17, 2011, 11:39:10 PM »
The club will raise $6 million. The clubs goal will be achieved.

gerkin greg

« Reply #338 on: March 17, 2011, 11:43:08 PM »
These aren't the droids you are looking for

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #339 on: March 17, 2011, 11:59:08 PM »
Interesting to see if a tally of $2.5m can build some momentum for the cause and bring out other large donations from those who were waiting off to see what happened tonight. How we start onfield will have a big effect. If the cubs are at least competitive and not blown away as we've seen too often in the past from us then supporters will then believe stronger in the off-field message. In any case halving your debt in one night isn't something to sneeze at. IIRC our repayments are around $500-600k (?) per year. So there's $250-300k saved and back in the kitty right there. At worst it fills the gap of losing the Royal Oak.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #340 on: March 18, 2011, 12:23:52 AM »
Ok, I left early and am now home ready for a big day at work tomorrow. I didn't really get too involved in everything and didn't take any notes so I can't really recap any of the speeches, although KBs was similar to that of his presentation of Ben Griffiths' jumper before the Port Adelaide match.

On the positive side, the $6 million target is almost half way there in only 5 weeks since it's launch. Sure it would have been nice to get more tonight, but it's still an average of $4-5000 per head from the 200-250 there tonight (once you take away the $1.08m and $250k). I still firmly believe that number will go higher from private donations and those who were a bit confused about the whole bidding process. The fact that donations over $10k are 50% tax deductable may also have brought out a few more donations and a few more in the future also.

Given the Queensland & Vic floods, Christchurch earthquake & Japan earthquake all looking for donations, I think it makes this contribution even more impressive. These are things the club couldn't control.

On the negative side (and don't get me wrong the whole night was a great event I just have more to say about these points) there were a few awkward things and in discussions with those at my table I know I wasn't the only one thinking this.

Firstly they did a mock commentary of the 2014 Grand Final done by BT (and someone else I don't remember). Obviously it was meant to get the emotions stirring, but they did it with the players in the room and it felt a bit weird to me. If they were going to do it they should have done it without the players there. For the record they had Astbury taking a mark on the siren from Griffiths' kick and kicking the goal to win the flag. If it comes true, ask whoever wrote the script for the following week's tattslotto numbers.

Next was the donations process on the night. Having everyone stand up to show how much they were donating I thought wasn't great. Pretty much half the room sat down after the first round at $3k and almost everyone else after the $5k mark. This kinda reinforces my belief that they should have been offering more incentives for people to donate at certain increments. Those that donate $19k get the same as someone who donated $5k. The reason I didn't like this bidding process is two fold. Those bowing out early look bad and those still standing at the end are posing a bit. I have much more respect that donate large sums without needing to stand up in front of the crowd for acknowledgement. Perhaps this was done to try and pressure people into donating more, but I wonder if it had the opposite effect. There was also a bit of confusion on the bidding process in regards to whether it was on top of your existing donation (if you had one) or including it... I included it.

Also other than the existing incentives for donation levels, there was nothing on the night to try and get people to part with their money except for the old TAC jumper signed by 25 of the Richmond great and this went for $7000. I would have thought on a night which is trying to generate money that there would be a lot more things to try and generate donations than just this one big bidding process thorugh a keypad. Sure selling the future of the club is one thing, but I think more should have been done to try and give people more of a reason to part with their money. Something could have come up that people wanted more than the incentives that you already know you get for your donation.

I still think the club should be doing more to try and encourage more donations of the $500-3000 range. The handful of big donations are great, but it only would take 1500 donations of $2000 to wipe out the remaining $3 million. That's not that many at a club of 40k+ members, if we end up with 45000 members, 1500 is only 3%. Surely the club can find a few things that people are willing to part with that sort of money and I think would be easier than trying to look for the needle in the haystack of those who can donate $10k plus.

Oh and one last point, other than the players I felt like I was by far the youngest in the room. Very old crowd there, but I guess that is to be expected.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 01:48:48 AM by Infamy »

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #341 on: March 18, 2011, 12:36:14 AM »
i think if it was survival it might have been bigger, so lets not forget
its debt reduction, there are more than 300 wealthy tiger supporters
out there i believe..

stage one completed..bloody brillant effort by all!!!!!!!!

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #342 on: March 18, 2011, 12:43:30 AM »
Thanks for the review of the night Infamy. It Sounds like a great success (as noted natural disasters have happened across the globe of late that people will be donating to) I also agree with you on the the club giving incentives to for donations even if its for the 500 - 3000 range of donations.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #343 on: March 18, 2011, 01:46:53 AM »
What a great night. Well done RFC.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Digging deep for the Fighting Fund (RFC)
« Reply #344 on: March 18, 2011, 01:51:11 AM »
Digging deep for the Fighting Fund
richmondfc.com.au
By Adrian Ceddia
Thu 18 Mar, 2010

Richmond’s Fighting Tiger Fund tally has reached approximately $2.3 million, after its major fundraising function was held at the ME Bank Centre this evening.

The Club’s board members announced a contribution of $200,000 during the function, and reigning Jack Dyer Medallist Jack Riewoldt confirmed the playing group would contribute $125,000.

The contributions of the Tigers’ members and fans, totalling more than $200,000, are also included in the current tally.

Guests were taken on a tour of the now-vacant Jack Dyer Stand change rooms and gymnasium, before experiencing a first-hand look at the Club’s ME Bank Centre redevelopment, which was completed in time for the event.

The fundraiser attracted some of the greats of the Club from different eras, including Dale Weightman, Tony Free, Francis Bourke, Neville Crowe, Tommy Hafey and Matthew Knights, along with media personalities Mick Molloy and Steve Price.

They were greeted by MC Brian Taylor, and heard passionate speeches from President Gary March, CEO Brendon Gale, General Manager of Football Craig Cameron, senior coach Damien Hardwick and club legend Kevin Bartlett.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/109504/default.aspx