Author Topic: Richmond 2011 preview (from the red and dark side)  (Read 2162 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond 2011 preview (from the red and dark side)
« on: January 09, 2011, 08:25:49 PM »
Essendon fans on BB have a thread going about us in 2011.......

http://www.bomberblitz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59918

1st preview (by AllBlack)

It isnt often that the team finishing 15th is seen as a success story but that was the way it seemed last year for first year coach Hardwick and his young Tigers. After a miserable start to the season they managed to win a few games although few wins of real note.

The backline for the Tigers has been an issue for a while. It still looks a little weak for mine. I am not sure they have a really solid FB to get the job done every week. They have some medium tall defenders in McGuane, Thursfield, Moore and Rance. I don’t really rate them as being big enough. I wonder if Brad Miller may spend a little more time down back. Post has been flagged for a more defensive post but he must be a worry. I really liked the look of him in ’09 but last year he was nowhere to be found. Nason looked ok from a small defender prospective last year along with King who didn’t have his best season. Newman will try his best to keep them together back there but I don’t think he has the cattle.

The midfield is starting to build into something pretty good. Foley starting to look like he will play some footy this year and is easy to forget how good he was. Deledio despite his knockers is a good player and Dustin Martin looks every bit like the best player out of last years draft, an absolute gun. Connors does his job each week. Tuck is a ball magnet that whilst having poor foot skills showed he still had plenty of value last year. Cotchin showed signs his body was getting used to Afl football and should be better this year. I don’t want this to become a Houli thread but I rate him and think he will be a good pick up for the Tiges this year. I query Grigg coming in but will undoubtedly get some time. Their midfield has a lot to like about it. Going to be scary at stages in the next couple of years with how good they are.

The forward line is a one man show. Reiwoldt winning the Coleman last year from the 15th place team show just what a class player he is. Proving his doubters wrong he showed that he can live up to his potential. I think the Tigers wouldn’t expect a massive improvement from him this year. If he can produce the same they will be pretty happy. Miller will play some CHF and is solid enough. Mitch Morton played down back last year but I still think this may have been to teach him a little more about accountability. He is a natural forward for mine. Nahas struggled a little last year but think he still has something to offer. All in all Reiwoldt made the forward line look better than it probably deserved to.

The rucks aren’t as dire as I thought 12 months ago. I though Graham really stood up last year and impressed me. I think Vickery will be ok but needs to work on his fitness. He may also spend more time up forward. They have Browne as well who is a good size.

The coach is still being figured out but he did a lot right last year. I think they have the right mindset and are going about a slow recovery. They won 6 games last year and they need to improve on that.

I think they will and should climb a couple of spots up the ladder although wont challenge for the 8. Lets say 10th to 12th should be about the mark although with a couple of respectable wins.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond 2011 preview (from the red and dark side)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 08:27:08 PM »
2nd preview (by Humble Minion)

Agree with most of the OP. Tigers aren't quite there yet, but their list is definitely on the improve, though that's never stopped them snatching failure from the jaws of success any time over the last 30 years. If they haven't got the cultural stuff sorted, then their list won't help them, and that'll be Hardwick's biggest challenge.

The backline is a bit of an issue. They've got a nice batch of smalls, with Connors and Newman genuinely good players, plus they can probably add Grigg this year for a bit of depth, and the draftee Batchelor fits in nicely too. Talls are more of a problem - Thursfield, Moore and McGuane are all hardworking stoppers but all are undersized and offer less rebound than you need these days. They really do need a genuinely big bloke down there. Astbury seems to be earmarked as a forward, and Rance is starting to look more and more like a bust to be honest. Was personally surprised they didn't grab Pat McCarthy when they had the chance. But they do have Gourdis, Grimes and Post hanging around, one or more of them might be earmarked for the job.

Midfield is heading towards genuinely good, I reckon. They've got a few seagulls like Houli and Deledio running around, but the hard core of their midfield, in Martin, Cotchin, Jackson, Foley, Tuck can all get their own ball and let the downhill skiiers do their skiing faster. Conca can too by all reports, and should slot straight in. Martin will get more attention paid to him this year, and possibly might suffer 'difficult second year' syndrome, but that won't worry them long term. Ice it with Edwards and White to add some speed, and things are looking ok. Dunno if they'll put it all together this year, but things seem to be looking up. Major worries would be injuries to Foley and Cotchin. Cotchin is actually having a full preseason by all reports, but Foley's achillies is playing up a bit again. It's a young and probably inconsistent group, but it's a talented one.

Forward, yeah, it's a one-man band, but it's a good one man. Backup for Riewoldt will be the important thing, and it's all a bit up in the air. Miller wasn't getting a game for Melb and wasn't doing much when he did, so I'm not sure he's the answer. Astbury did some good things and will be their long-term plan, but is still only a second-year player. Griffiths had big wraps last year, but seems like one of those blokes like Robbie Tarrant who'll always be injured. If you're a kpp who's had multiple shoulder recos before playing a game, your career is already half over in my book. Vickery might be a forward option too, but he looked massively out of place at times last year and will need a while to develop. There's a few midsizers with talent but mental questionmarks (Taylor and Morton), but I can't see a genuine defensive tackler and crumber there - if Nahas hasn't put beef on yet then he's not going to. Nason works hard and gets a lot out of his talent, but I don't think he'll be the answer.

Rucks, developing and only ok at best. Graham was up from 'worthless' to 'useful placeholder' last year and will probably improve again. They've still got to find another ruck somewhere, though with Vickery, Browne, Derickx on the list they do have options. It'll all be about finding which one of these blokes should get top billing - they'll be hoping it's Vickery who steps up, because he's a bit more mobile and can switch in the forward line, which will help with the new sub rule.

Prediction: top half of the bottom 8, but they could be really badly derailed by only a couple of injuries - Riewoldt in particular holds their side together, but if Cotchin and Foley have problems again it won't be much better.

http://www.bomberblitz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59918

10 FLAGS

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 08:54:33 PM »
are these wankers on bb closet Richmond supporters or something? :lol

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 10:00:08 PM »
It's funny the things that other supporters see/perceive:

"Nason looked ok from a small defender prospective last year"

"Mitch Morton played down back last year but I still think this may have been to teach him a little more about accountability"

"They've got a few seagulls like Houli and Deledio"

"Astbury seems to be earmarked as a forward"

"Astbury did some good things and will be their long-term plan" (forward)

They got a fair bit of their summaries close but there were a couple of howlers!

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 11:49:49 PM »

"Mitch Morton played down back last year but I still think this may have been to teach him a little more about accountability"

They got a fair bit of their summaries close but there were a couple of howlers!

King also didn't have his best season. These guys are doing their research allright.

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 07:35:39 AM »

Do you think they have Davey Astbury confused with Griff?

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 08:41:42 AM »
Can we do one on Essendon?

;D

"With a midfield that has two speeds, slow and stop, a backline held together by a 38 year old sniper and a forward line dependent on the cronically injured Gumbleton and the way past it Williams, see the Bombers fly down, down, to the bottom of the ladder."
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 08:43:04 AM »
In fairness, I'd probably make the same inaccuracies if I was doing a report on the bummers or any other club for that matter. Not a bad effort all things considered. But perhaps don't bother if u can't get it right might be the best approach.

10 FLAGS

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 12:37:52 PM »
I think everyone is bored pooless and we're waiting for the footy to start! Its been a rubbish summer, the cricket was garbage, the a league is garbage, the tennis will be garbage. Everything is garbage. Only the Tigers can save us! :lol

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 01:35:44 PM »
We're in strife if we turn out to be garbage  :help :pray

the claw

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 11:12:02 PM »
they may have got a few of the finer points wrong but in generally they are right.

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 08:04:27 PM »
I didnt think it was to inaccurate.
Better Than most journo's (who are meant to know) do. Read between the lines a bit and you know who they are talking about even if the chose the wrong name.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 07:49:10 PM »
Another Bombers 2011 preview of us but this time from their BigFooty board:

-----------------------------------------------------

Culture & Development. The importance of these 2 areas of the Richmond Football Club can not be overstated. 1980 was the last time this club saw a premiership, and they've had their September calendars free each year going back to 2001. Three decades of results this poor simply cannot occur without serious cultural and developmental issues, and this is unlikely to be lost on Hardwick and his men.

So obviously Richmond's goals and expectations this year and possibly next, will most likely be set around factors other than those found in the win loss column. Hardwick is a man who has experienced a winning environment first hand after spending virtually his entire playing and coaching career with Essendon, Port and Hawthorn during times of success, and naturally building and developing a decent list will be number one, two and three on his to do list.

And now for the burning question....are they on the right track?

For mine, i tend to think the answer, finally, is yes.

They've moved on Terry Wallace, a man known for his spin and continued insistance that all is well and on track dispite failure each year, for Damien Hardwick, a tough uncomprimising character with a no nonsense apraoch to the game who has honestly assessed the list as needing quite a bit of work.

Time will tell if he and his boys can break the tiger's curse and bring back the tigers of old, but for now i'll focus purely on 2011, of course with an eye on the grand plan.

Defense:
A very big year for a number of the Tiger's key position defenders. Kel Moore and Thursfield in particular have shown form in the last few years that suggested they were on the verge of forming an ominous defensive partnership, however both seem to have stalled at various times and no longer should see their positions as safe. McGuane, underrated by many outside of Punt Rd, has arguably overtaken both and also looking to have a big year.

The promising Astury has shown good signs early, and it's hard to see all three of Moore, Thursfield and McGuane holding their spots long term with a coach still trying to gage exactly where his list sits. One would think 2011 could be a defining year in one way or another for the long term structure of the Tiger's defense.

The smaller and running backmen is an area in which Richmond already looks strong. Newman and Deledio provide experience and polish, and having recruited Grigg and Houli to play alongside the likes of King, there should be plenty of healthy competition for those spots.

Mids:
Certainly the area in which the Tigers future path is most clear. Richmond are counting on Martin and Cotchin to play another 10+ years in the middle, and of course the forgotten Foley is another elite midfielder if they can get him right.....and the word is he just may have turned the corner.
Conca is by all accounts a future midfield talent, with the next group of Connors, White and Edwards each demonstrating that whilst they have some kinks in their game that require further development (there's that word again), they most definitely have an upside worth perservering with for now. Morton is another who may well rotate through more than previously after demonstrating some impressive late season form up the ground in 2010.

Tuck is an interesting case. The thirty year old gives the young Tigers a hard edge in the middle, and knows how to find and win the contested ball. The obvious negative is his sub standard disposal that continually causes turn overs, an area in which the young Tigers often struggle. Personally i feel his abhorent disposal out weigh his positives, however it will be interesting to see how he goes this year.

Forwards:
Apparently they have some bloke called Reiwoltd that a few supporters are half keen on, and word is he might end up okay.....alright maybe there's a bit more Jacky-R hype than i'm letting on, but there's not much question he's got the talent to have a great career. Certainly reads the ball extreemely well in the air which is near impossible to teach, and makes an impact when he's in the zone.

If all the talk about the sub rule comes to fruition one could envisage Vickery and Graham rotating through the ruck and deep forward role, leaving another key position in attack to be filled. For me i feel Post is leading the way.....has a great pair of hands and keeps his eyes on the ball until he has it firmly in his grip. Griffiths is around 200cm and has shown a bit in the few games he played last year, and no doubt Hardwick will be hoping he or Post can have an impact up forward as soon as possible.

The reality is however at present, aside from Reiwoltd it is hard to see the Richmond forwards providing the fire power to consistently kick a winning score.

Ruck: Graham and Vickery are first and second in the que, and both still have a lot of work to go on their game.

My Tiger's 22:

b: Newman Astbury McGuane
hb: Grigg Thursfield Deledio
c: Houli Cotchin Morton
hf: Conners Post White
f: Nahas Reiwoltd Vickery
r: Graham, Foley, Martin

i: Connors, Edwards, Tuck, Farmer (sub)

next in line: Nason, Webberly, Moore, Griffiths, King, Conca, Gourdis, Rance etc.

Prediction time:
2011 B&F: Deledio
Most improved: i'll go with White.
Position: 15th

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20181236&postcount=1

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 07:57:59 PM »
Fair assessment for an opposition supporter.

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 09:42:46 PM »
Prediction time:
Position: 15th

Must have Essendon 16th or 17th then.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do