Author Topic: Left-field Tiger ready for action (Australian)  (Read 1343 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Left-field Tiger ready for action (Australian)
« on: March 01, 2011, 12:34:57 AM »
Left-field Tiger ready for action
Greg Denham
The Australian
March 01, 2011

RICHMOND teenager Reece Conca, considered by many outside Punt Road as a "left-field" selection in last year's national draft, appears to have played his way into the Tigers' best 22 for their round-one clash against Carlton at the MCG to open the premiership season on March 24.

Though not initially rated by industry recruiting personnel as a first-round selection, Richmond recruiting manager Francis Jackson had no hesitation in taking Conca, 18, with the club's first pick, at overall selection No 6, from WAFL club Perth.

Drafted as a midfielder, Conca has been playing across half-back during the pre-season and will probably start his career at the elite level against the Blues as a running defender because of his extremely efficient disposal skills.

Following an impressive pre-season campaign, Conca is likely to be rested in Friday night's practice match against Hawthorn at Shepparton, in country Victoria.

Coleman medallist Jack Riewoldt is also likely to miss Friday's trial game after landing awkwardly at training last week and sustaining bone bruising in his knee.

Richmond denies Riewoldt has any serious damage and expects him to be at peak fitness within a fortnight, and ready to take the field for the first time this year during the practice match circuit.

The Tigers, however, are expecting captain Chris Newman and dual best-and-fairest winner Brett Deledio to have their first serious hit-outs for the year this week, while onballers Nathan Foley, Trent Cotchin, Bachar Houli and Shaun Grigg are scheduled to play against the Hawks after playing first-up last week in Alice Springs against the Power.

Newman withdrew late against Port Adelaide with hamstring tightness but is ready to go, while Deledio could be available for the first time this year if he is passed fit following a heel injury.

Foley, who played about three-quarters of last week's trial game, pulled up well and may be given more game time this week. He has not played since round nine last year because of ankle and achilles problems, which have restricted the speedster to just 18 of a possible 44 games over the past two seasons. After missing first-round NAB Cup losses against Carlton and Collingwood, Cotchin was outstanding against Port Adelaide and is scheduled to play again this week.

Grigg, who crossed from Carlton last October as a straight swap for Andrew Collins, played a full game in the midfield after overcoming an ankle issue, and is expected to line up for his new club again this week.

Former Essendon bit-player Houli is also scheduled to go around again this week after more than half a game last week as a half-forward/midfielder. The left-footer had to delay his start as a Tiger by a few weeks because of minor hamstring tendonitis.

Third-year ruckman Tyrone Vickery, 20, kicked five goals as a permanent forward, allowing coach Damien Hardwick to experiment with the ruck combination of Angus Graham and Tom Derickx, who is in his first season with the Tigers.

Port Adelaide's Alipate Carlile can accept a reprimand after being charged yesterday by the match review panel with recklessly striking Derickx to the body.

Carlile's clean record worked in his favour, and with an early guilty plea, his sanction will be a carryover of 45 demerit points for the next 12 months.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/left-field-tiger-ready-for-action/story-e6frg7mf-1226013776540

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Left-field Tiger ready for action (Australian)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 01:26:58 PM »
Interesting to see if Conca first plays round one and seconily where he plays. I would have thought Batchelor would get the backline position ahead of him on form and efficency whereas Conac would come off the bench. I'm not convinced entirely that either will play just yet.

tony_montana

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 02:24:07 PM »
Batchelor for mine looks ready to go and should be in the round 1 team imo. Would be good if Batchelor, Conca, Derickx, Houli, Grigg and Foley were all there for round 1.

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 10:57:29 PM »
I've got Conca pencilled in for the sub slot.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 11:12:23 PM »
Me too

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 08:46:33 AM »
Me too

I got the impression from the coaches that Tuck may well claim that spot initially...but that was over a month a go  :-\

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 11:19:17 AM »
His fitness is no where near what he needs to run out a full game at AFL level so I think it is the best way to get him introduced to the game but not push him too hard to soon.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 06:25:29 AM »
Conca was named in the bests last night so if that's right he's doing everything right to get a round 1 gig. We need all the players with good footskills that we can get into the side given how often we turnover the footy.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 11:21:26 PM »
Left-field Tiger ready for action
Greg Denham
The Australian
March 01, 2011

Drafted as a midfielder, Conca has been playing across half-back during the pre-season and will probably start his career at the elite level against the Blues as a running defender because of his extremely efficient disposal skills.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/left-field-tiger-ready-for-action/story-e6frg7mf-1226013776540

Geez I like Hardwick, drafting talent and putting it into the back line.  We so need a good defense.  In a few years he may be another Goddard.

Another tick for Dimma