Author Topic: Memory Lane: Does anyone miss Waverley?  (Read 2823 times)

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
Re: Memory Lane: Does anyone miss Waverley?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2005, 09:07:15 PM »
I have only one fond memory of the ground,playing little league for Fitzroy and winning after the siren against Collingwood in 1979 :gobdrop

Then I played in a losing Herald Sheild final Vs Assumption before a night GF in 86.
I played a practice match in Mentone in boiling heat,before 3 carloads of us got locked out of the 93 night GF :banghead I was livid!

Then the last 2 games I went to there,we got rolled by the Saints after kicking about 8 goals to 1 in the first qtr :banghead Got stuck in the carpark for hours and missed a very important date who thought she'd been stood up :banghead..no mobile then :banghead

Then the last straw was being frozen solid against Hawthorn and managing about 5 goals for the game and nearly dying of hypothermia.

Rot away VFL Park...I dont miss ya at all.
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

Ox

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2005, 09:11:45 PM »
Also watched a night game in 78 as guest of Roy Wright via my Father.
Furst time in a Box and was blown away.
After the game he took me to the rooms and introduced me around the the boys.
At that time it was like Sheeds,Bourkey,Jess - farken legends.

I had a number 10 on my duffle coat and still remember Roy telling me Sheedy was a shiela
and I should have Bourkey's number ibstead.

LMAOOOO.

froars

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2005, 09:40:45 PM »
Also watched a night game in 78 as guest of Roy Wright via my Father.
Furst time in a Box and was blown away.
After the game he took me to the rooms and introduced me around the the boys.
At that time it was like Sheeds,Bourkey,Jess - farken legends.

I had a number 10 on my duffle coat and still remember Roy telling me Sheedy was a shiela
and I should have Bourkey's number ibstead.

LMAOOOO.

I miss Waverly for the following reasons.

Me and my mates would sneak in every night game durinhg 79,80,81 via the vertical,slate
scaffolding that was situated to the left of the members ebtrance,just behind the bushes.

We were so small we were even able to scale the hurricane fences on the stairwells and squeeze thru the opening at the top of which there was about a 12 inch clearance between the top of the fence
and the concrete ceiling.
As a result we were able to sit in the Sirkenneth luke stand,unhindered by the general public.

I was also a frikken pie boy for3 weeks until I realised I was being shafted big time,so I ripped the carnts off and never went back
LMAOO@Me staying away from the south side of the ground for 2 years.

Another time whilst still a pie boy,we filled the mens toilets with dry ice which we'd scored off our mate
in the ice cream distribution racket.

LMAOOOOO@Security shutting down that side of the ground because they thought a major gas pipe had broken
because of all the smoke coming from the lavatories and urinal.

LMAOOOO@Carnts running out covering their mouths from dry ice.

LMAOOOO@Being a little idiot.

Finally I saw Kiss at Waverly and had the time of my life.

LMAOOOO@Two old jews wearing wigs and playing rock and roll now.
Loved them.

You crack me up lol 
Admit it Ox, you're just a right and proper toff - members still wondering what hit 'em lol

Hmmm, i think Wrightee's son Paul lingers around these boards - picturing him with a look of horror with you and his dad being old mates lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2005, 03:57:59 AM »
I remember a KB coaching moment at Waverley in or around 1990. We were playing the Pies before one of the smallest Tiges v Pies crowds. During the first half we were very competitive and were level going into time on before half time only to let them get 2 late goals. Anyway at half time in the rooms KB bursts through the green doors and shouts at the top of his voice "We've got 'em!". A little too optimistic from KB as the Pies came out after the break and pumped us in the third quarter :(.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

missy

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2005, 04:40:15 PM »
I miss it, the 1980 final series, the Rich/Ess night final, the game we lost to Sydney because Richo shepherded the goal thru,. It was so easy to get to from the eastern suburbs too, I dont find it any faster getting out of the Telstra parking than at waverly, plus i didnt have to drive thru the city centre during peak hour to get to a Friday night game :P