Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 766419 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #2190 on: May 02, 2014, 04:43:17 PM »
What a mess we find ourselves in.

Can someone remind me what year swan said we would return to surplus

Surely we don't need to go down these measures if he was right

I don't suppose you can explain how the government taking more of your money than they spend is good for the economy, or how they will defy history and not send us towards recession?.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2191 on: May 02, 2014, 10:17:56 PM »

I don't suppose you can explain how the government taking more of your money than they spend is good for the economy, or how they will defy history and not send us towards recession?.

Thats being a bit dramatic. We wont be heading toward a recession any time soon and if we do maybe the gillard/rudd government need to remember those wonderful pink bats/clunkers scheme and how much money that actually wasted.

Besides what big cuts are made to an income of say 80,000? few few hundred dollars in debt levty, few GP visits. No big deal and no real loss. think its being overplayed. big losers are income of 100k plus and families.

What do you propose Al? Leave it as it is and hope we return to surplus like swan said we would by 2015. He is doing what he has to do

whilst i agree with some measures like  stripping  middle class welfare i would hope they pursue the winding back of things like pension payments overseas and a reduction of the PPl scheme to a more acceptable level. $50,000 is rediculous and family tax b with a threshold of over 150k should also be reduced.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2192 on: May 02, 2014, 10:19:13 PM »
Bloody labor

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #2193 on: May 03, 2014, 12:37:13 AM »
Just a question or two particularly for those right of centre.

1) How much did cash for clunkers and pink bats cost the tax payer compared to the proposed extent of Tonys maternity leave program?

2) And putting figures aside, what in your opinion was the intent of each of the three above mentioned schemes.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2194 on: May 03, 2014, 07:42:49 AM »
Is the PPL scheme in force is it? When did it pass the senate?

Just saying

Let's deal in facts and there here and now

In 3 mths "if" it passes senate we can discuss that, besides how would you know the cost unless you know how many woman are going to have kids

The net cost of the scheme will be reduced with the axing of the FAM Tax B payments, so how about we try again and discuss why Liberals are actually doing this. Perhaps the handing of cheques to dead people didn't help either

The intention was obvious to avoid Australia heading into a recession, and  to improve the environment.
This unfortunately came at a cost of peoples lives with shonky Indians with no skills handing invoices to the government in return for payment

This budget is squarely aimed at stripping middle to high class welfare yet you blokes still complain

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2195 on: May 03, 2014, 11:19:53 AM »
One term Tony coming up.

That is if Hockey doesn't challenge.

New tax on rich could seal Tony Abbott's fate

May 3, 2014 - 10:18AM 88 reading now

Tom Allard

National Affairs Editor

Could it become known as the "Abbott moment", when a prime minister cursed his political fate and consigned his government to one term?

A big call, to be sure, especially so far out from the next federal poll in 2016.

But the revelations that Tony Abbott is backing a tax increase for middle and high-income earners coupled with the National Commission of Audit's call for swingeing cuts and radical reforms to health, education and welfare has many pondering the possibility of the demise of the government.

More than a traditional softening up of voters before a tough budget, there has been a pummelling this week. Coalition MPs are reeling, their offices besieged by calls and emails from irate voters.

"Crazy", "electoral suicide", a "Gillard moment" were some of the comments from Coalition MPs, the latter remark a reference to Julia Gillard's commitment to a carbon tax, which haunted her to Labor's eventual defeat.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/new-tax-on-rich-could-seal-tony-abbotts-fate-20140502-zr2hx.html#ixzz30bwkuZw2

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2196 on: May 03, 2014, 11:57:09 AM »
Replaced by who shorton? Hockey? Hahaha

give it up 65

Libs are here to stay suck it up princess

3 terms at least to fix labours mess

Rampstar

« Reply #2197 on: May 03, 2014, 12:02:06 PM »
I dont think he has gone far enough. They should have put marginal tax rate for those earning over $500,000 a year to 50% whether they are tax payers or running as sole traders, they needed to pull back negative gearing on property, look at fully franked components of shares for people who would be entitled to say $20,000+ or more in terms of fully franked share component, they needed to pull back the paid parental scheme even more and claw back fringe benefits as well.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2198 on: May 05, 2014, 08:02:35 AM »
Tax the poor

Leave the rich alone ffs

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2200 on: May 05, 2014, 10:11:49 AM »

Thats being a bit dramatic. We wont be heading toward a recession any time soon and if we do maybe the gillard/rudd government need to remember those wonderful pink bats/clunkers scheme and how much money that actually wasted.

Besides what big cuts are made to an income of say 80,000? few few hundred dollars in debt levty, few GP visits. No big deal and no real loss. think its being overplayed. big losers are income of 100k plus and families.

What do you propose Al? Leave it as it is and hope we return to surplus like swan said we would by 2015. He is doing what he has to do

whilst i agree with some measures like  stripping  middle class welfare i would hope they pursue the winding back of things like pension payments overseas and a reduction of the PPl scheme to a more acceptable level. $50,000 is rediculous and family tax b with a threshold of over 150k should also be reduced.

A bit dramatic?

Nearly every time a government has delivered a surplus we have had a recession soon after. Why will it be any different this time, particularly as it will be achieved with major spending cuts from the government, that is, cutting the largest single influence on economic growth in this country?

What's the obsession with a surplus? There is no historical evidence that a surplus drives economic growth, so do you have a theory of your own as to how it helps the economy?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2201 on: May 05, 2014, 10:20:58 AM »
 :banghead

Sounds like something a rapist bully would say.

Tony Abbott says voters will 'thank' the Coalition in the 'long run' as deficit levy speculation grows

May 5, 2014 - 9:42AM

Judith Ireland

Prime Minister Tony Abbott has defended the prospect of his government introducing a deficit levy in next week's federal budget, arguing that "in the long run" voters will thank the Coalition for taking strict measures to reduce debt levels.

Following a weekend poll that found more than 70 per cent of surveyed voters think a deficit levy would be a broken promise - given Mr Abbott's pre-election pledge of no new taxes - the Prime Minister has argued that the "most fundamental commitment" the Coalition made was to "get Labor's debt and deficit under control".

As the government heads into its final week of  preparations for the May 13 budget, Mr Abbott conceded on Monday that people would be disappointed next Tuesday.

"No one likes difficult decisions. Governments don't like difficult decisions ... but you’ve just got to make hard decisions at a time like this, otherwise our country is doomed to years of economic stagnation and I think in the long run, the voters will thank us for doing what is absolutely necessary," he said on Channel Nine's Today program.

Senior ministers will finalise the proposed levy this week at a time when a Galaxy Poll found Labor clearly in front of the Coalition, 52 to 48 per cent, two-party-preferred, and found 72 per cent of voters believed a deficit levy would be a broken promise,

The Australian Financial Review reports that opinions are divided in the government about the political wisdom and fiscal necessity of the proposed tax, which is understood to involve a temporary hit on high-income earners.

Mr Abbott did not confirm that there would be a new tax on Monday, saying he would not comment on the "detail" of the budget.

But he again stressed that the budget would be difficult.

"In the end, we're all in this together."

Mr Abbott's steadfast approach came after Education Minister Christopher Pyne brushed aside the notion the Coalition would be breaking an election promise if it introduced a deficit levy in the upcoming budget

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/tony-abbott-says-voters-will-thank-the-coalition-in-the-long-run-as-deficit-levy-speculation-grows-20140505-zr4ne.html#ixzz30nObyv00

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2202 on: May 05, 2014, 01:08:29 PM »
Bloody Labor

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #2203 on: May 05, 2014, 01:48:12 PM »
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2204 on: May 05, 2014, 01:51:22 PM »

One term Tony is the worst PM in living memory.

:lol