Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 738808 times)

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #4245 on: January 14, 2019, 04:35:32 PM »
Whoa....like....whoa :shh :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4246 on: January 17, 2019, 05:09:07 AM »
Look at Mark Latham. You laughed at him and he's moved One Nation from 3.9% to almost 8% in NSW.
Or it can said that 92% of NSW people still aren't going to vote for him or PHON ;). Most of that 'gain' came at the expense of the Shooters party so it's just the fringe vote being circulated rather than PHON taking votes off the major parties.

You ignore MPs who spend a poo load of the taxpayer money yet have a go at Anning who uses it for.... politics
Another falsehood. I've criticised pollies of all sides in the past for abusing travel and other 'entitlements'. You're the one doing the ignoring and deflecting regarding Anning and his ridiculous spending of taxpayers money. These populist pollies love to get on their high horse and claim they are different from other career pollies yet they still have their huge snouts in the trough.

As for the speaker and deputy speaker in Victoria :facepalm. The whole pollie and their "entitlements" process is beyond a joke now. They can claim for all sorts of ridiculous things in the first place and secondly it's so easy to abuse by MPs of all sides.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4247 on: January 17, 2019, 10:44:44 AM »
Look at Mark Latham. You laughed at him and he's moved One Nation from 3.9% to almost 8% in NSW.
Or it can said that 92% of NSW people still aren't going to vote for him or PHON ;). Most of that 'gain' came at the expense of the Shooters party so it's just the fringe vote being circulated rather than PHON taking votes off the major parties.

You ignore MPs who spend a poo load of the taxpayer money yet have a go at Anning who uses it for.... politics
Another falsehood. I've criticised pollies of all sides in the past for abusing travel and other 'entitlements'. You're the one doing the ignoring and deflecting regarding Anning and his ridiculous spending of taxpayers money. These populist pollies love to get on their high horse and claim they are different from other career pollies yet they still have their huge snouts in the trough.

As for the speaker and deputy speaker in Victoria :facepalm. The whole pollie and their "entitlements" process is beyond a joke now. They can claim for all sorts of ridiculous things in the first place and secondly it's so easy to abuse by MPs of all sides.

What rubbish  :lol

The Shooters & One Nation aren't campaigning for the same seats and SFF are still at a similar % while ON has doubled.
Latho has been in the gig 1-2 months and you acted as though he was some sort of lunatic when he's actually growing his parties brand & getting recognition from a lot of people for coming out with common sense policies for NSW.

No point talking to lefties about politics. They've got no idea
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4248 on: January 17, 2019, 04:21:52 PM »

What rubbish  :lol

The Shooters & One Nation aren't campaigning for the same seats and SFF are still at a similar % while ON has doubled.
Latho has been in the gig 1-2 months and you acted as though he was some sort of lunatic when he's actually growing his parties brand & getting recognition from a lot of people for coming out with common sense policies for NSW.

No point talking to lefties about politics. They've got no idea
So "a lot of people" is just 8% now  :lol.

Once again you're making up statements without backing any of it up  ::).

Candidates and ballot papers haven't even been registered and confirmed yet so you are just making up that the Shooters and One Nation aren't campaigning for the same seats. Both will be competing for Upper House seats in the NSW Legislative Council which are decided by proportional voting and in minor party cases the last seat in each region decided by the left over quota from the major parties. You don't win lower house seats which are decided by preferential voting with less than 10% of the vote :nope.

Here are the last three NSW state polls (Two from Fairfax/ReachTEL in September & late November 2018 respectively and one from YouGov/Daily Telegraph in early December 2018):

The Shooters vote in NSW fell from 6.1% to 3.3% as One Nation increased from 4.2% to 7.5-8.0%.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/coalition-neck-and-neck-with-labor-as-foley-overtakes-berejiklian-20180922-p505dn.html

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/berejiklian-set-to-lose-as-internal-liberal-chaos-derails-election-hopes-20181130-p50jey.html

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/coalition-crisis-as-nsw-heads-for-hung-parliament/news-story/70ca891900442351f1806251a499e1eb

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4249 on: January 17, 2019, 05:52:58 PM »
NFI  champ. Latham and Shooters have said they will avoid fielding candidates in seats where either one has a strong chance as they don't want to pinch votes off each other and allow the Nats to get in.

Hit the books and get a clue.

You say 8% and laugh as if that's nothing. For Latham to take them there from 3.9 is breathtaking, and it will be higher than that in the next two months.. :shh

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #4250 on: January 19, 2019, 05:25:25 PM »

Libs have lost another woman front the front bench.

What's the old saying about rats and ships.

:lol

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/jan/19/kelly-odwyer-announces-shock-resignation-ahead-of-election

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #4251 on: January 20, 2019, 02:41:30 PM »
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4252 on: January 21, 2019, 03:05:30 AM »
NFI  champ. Latham and Shooters have said they will avoid fielding candidates in seats where either one has a strong chance as they don't want to pinch votes off each other and allow the Nats to get in.
The Nats are under threat from virtually everyone else. Mostly independents especially near the Vic border and from the ALP and Greens in say Lismore. Labor like they did in Victoria will be preferencing the Shooters. You then got the group AnyoneButNats but they won't support ON either given they want action on climate change.

A ON spokesperson last month said no deals had been done with the Shooters (that rumour was back in October). If they were to run in the same seats and preference each other then they wouldn't pinch votes off each other. The party with the higher number of votes gets the other's 2nd preferences. Out of the two, the Shooters are more likely to win NSW lower house seats.

Latham wants an upper house seat for himself as he'd have zero chance of winning a lower house one. He'll be competing directly against the Shooters, David Leyonhjelm, Christian Democrats, etc as the state is one whole upper house electorate. Even with only such a low quota of 4.55 required to gain a seat (the reason why Leyonhjelm is switching to state politics), ON could potentially win two seats at best.

You say 8% and laugh as if that's nothing. For Latham to take them there from 3.9 is breathtaking, and it will be higher than that in the next two months.. :shh

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #4253 on: January 21, 2019, 03:10:00 AM »
That's an hilariously ironic meme for a lefty to post......:shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4254 on: January 21, 2019, 04:12:31 AM »
The majority of the population are "leftist" relative to bitter old reactionaries like Latham who can't accept they are now a small minority (see SSM vote) ;D.

Libs have lost another woman front the front bench.

What's the old saying about rats and ships.

:lol

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/jan/19/kelly-odwyer-announces-shock-resignation-ahead-of-election

Source: #auspol twitter.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4255 on: January 21, 2019, 09:59:47 AM »
The Nats are under threat from virtually everyone else. Mostly independents especially near the Vic border and from the ALP and Greens in say Lismore. Labor like they did in Victoria will be preferencing the Shooters. You then got the group AnyoneButNats but they won't support ON either given they want action on climate change.

A ON spokesperson last month said no deals had been done with the Shooters (that rumour was back in October). If they were to run in the same seats and preference each other then they wouldn't pinch votes off each other. The party with the higher number of votes gets the other's 2nd preferences. Out of the two, the Shooters are more likely to win NSW lower house seats.

Latham wants an upper house seat for himself as he'd have zero chance of winning a lower house one. He'll be competing directly against the Shooters, David Leyonhjelm, Christian Democrats, etc as the state is one whole upper house electorate. Even with only such a low quota of 4.55 required to gain a seat (the reason why Leyonhjelm is switching to state politics), ON could potentially win two seats at best.

God you have no idea what you're talking about.... :shh

Latham and Shooters have both said they will not field candidates against each other in some seats, you're plain wrong on this. And given I'm talking about Latham, you should know I'm talking about the NSW election, not the federal one. What happens in the Federal election could be different, but I doubt it.
Ridiculous to say they wouldn't pinch votes off each other, what planet you on bro  :lol

Latham would have a seat wrapped up for him in the Senate if he wanted to go that way but it's easier for him to work in NSW & be able to focus some time on his family as well.

Latham also ain't competing against the Liberal Democrats  :lol One is a right-wing party & the other is run by Libertarians for gods sake.... :shh  :shh
He's doubled One Nation's popularity in less than 2 months. Imagine what he'll be able to do in 2 years.... :shh :shh :shh He'll win 'em 2 seats at least after preferences, possibly even 3. Not bad for a party that hasn't done anything in NSW or gone close to getting anyone elected.... :shh :shh :shh :shh

lefties. What a bunch of lunatics

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4256 on: January 21, 2019, 11:25:16 AM »

God you have no idea what you're talking about.... :shh

Latham and Shooters have both said they will not field candidates against each other in some seats, you're plain wrong on this. And given I'm talking about Latham, you should know I'm talking about the NSW election, not the federal one. What happens in the Federal election could be different, but I doubt it.
Ridiculous to say they wouldn't pinch votes off each other, what planet you on bro  :lol

Latham would have a seat wrapped up for him in the Senate if he wanted to go that way but it's easier for him to work in NSW & be able to focus some time on his family as well.

Latham also ain't competing against the Liberal Democrats  :lol One is a right-wing party & the other is run by Libertarians for gods sake.... :shh  :shh
He's doubled One Nation's popularity in less than 2 months. Imagine what he'll be able to do in 2 years.... :shh :shh :shh He'll win 'em 2 seats at least after preferences, possibly even 3. Not bad for a party that hasn't done anything in NSW or gone close to getting anyone elected.... :shh :shh :shh :shh

lefties. What a bunch of lunatics
Your lack of knowledge of political history is hilarious :rollin.

One Nation got almost 8% of the vote 20 years ago at the 1999 NSW state election and co-founder David Oldfield won a seat in the NSW Upper House. It all fell apart within 2 years when ON's NSW branch splintered thanks to Hanson and Oldfield's competing egos and the circus ON became. The odds of history repeating with Hanson and Latham are high  :lol.

Latham and Leyonhjelm both appeal to the fringe who are reckon white (Anglo) males are being persecuted :scared, climate change denialists, anti-safe schools, anti-PC, anti-nanny state, etc. Latham joined the Liberal Democrats for a year remember. There are some differences (eg: SSM) between the two but no more than between Latham and Hanson (eg: economics).

"I support 80-90 per cent of the Liberal Democrats platform, pretty good for someone with strong views formed over a long period of time," Mr Latham said. He said the "party of freedom" allowed room for "dissent and diversity of opinion". (8/5/2017)
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-08/mark-latham-joins-liberal-democratic-party/8507842

ABC election analyst Antony Green says Senator Leyonhjelm is searching for votes in a competitive space to the right of the Liberals. "His problem is that there are other people in the same space on the ballot paper competing to the right of the Liberal Party issues," Mr Green told the ABC on Monday.
https://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/david-leyonhjelm-to-contest-nsw-election/news-story/6009c6b8ce2a023c1a8f78f23698b3b7

ps. I didn't mention the federal election w.r.t to Latham. I said the NSW upper house quota is low (compared to the federal Senate). You only need 4.55% to win a upper house seat in NSW whereas you need 14.3% at a half-Senate election. It's why Latham and Leyonhjelm are now competing for the more getable NSW upper house. As Keating once said, always back self-interest  :whistle.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4257 on: January 21, 2019, 11:33:18 AM »
20 years ago :lol
One person ever elected in NSW. Off the back of Pauline Hanson's popularity.
And you're slagging Latham for doubling their popularity & likely winning them a minimum of 2 seats. Double what they've ever won in NSW....:lol

There are a number of differences between DL and Latham. Guns the major issue, but I bet you think Latham is a lunatic for believing our gun laws are decent.
Anti-PC, anti safe schools, anti-nanny state....what is wrong with that? They are good issues to campaign on. Very important. I think you'll find Latham is mostly about meritocracy and in time he will deliver it to NSW. Yeah, DL might campaign with a bit on that but he's all over the shop fighting some weird causes. I like the guy but he takes it a bit far with 'freedom' at times

"ABC analyst" :lol

Give up on it son.

You voted for Latham in 2004, move to NSW and do it again to redeem yourself...:shh

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #4258 on: January 21, 2019, 12:14:47 PM »

ps. I didn't mention the federal election w.r.t to Latham. I said the NSW upper house quota is low (compared to the federal Senate). You only need 4.55% to win a upper house seat in NSW whereas you need 14.3% at a half-Senate election. It's why Latham and Leyonhjelm are now competing for the more getable NSW upper house. As Keating once said, always back self-interest :whistle .

John Locke (17th century philosopher) said if first.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4259 on: January 21, 2019, 03:38:46 PM »
20 years ago :lol
One person ever elected in NSW. Off the back of Pauline Hanson's popularity.
And you're slagging Latham for doubling their popularity & likely winning them a minimum of 2 seats. Double what they've ever won in NSW....:lol

There are a number of differences between DL and Latham. Guns the major issue, but I bet you think Latham is a lunatic for believing our gun laws are decent.
Anti-PC, anti safe schools, anti-nanny state....what is wrong with that? They are good issues to campaign on. Very important. I think you'll find Latham is mostly about meritocracy and in time he will deliver it to NSW. Yeah, DL might campaign with a bit on that but he's all over the shop fighting some weird causes. I like the guy but he takes it a bit far with 'freedom' at times

"ABC analyst" :lol

Give up on it son.

You voted for Latham in 2004, move to NSW and do it again to redeem yourself...:shh
LOL. Oldfield had a high public profile at that time as Latham has now. He was working for the Liberal party and was Abbott's advisor when he created ON with Hanson. Oldfield directed ON policy as party 'deputy' and Hanson was the saleswoman spewing her usual ignorant uneducated hateful bile. Yep, they only got below 8% and one upper house seat in NSW. Nothing to write home about then and nothing to write home about now. Appealing to only a bitter fringe minority living in their own echo chamber out of touch with the mainstream centre who have moved on and forward without the sooks.

ps. Wrong again :nope. Didn't vote for either major party at that election. Loose cannon Latham proved why people didn't/don't trust him by the way he blamed everybody else but himself post-2004. I live in a safe federal Liberal seat anyway although based on the recent Vic election that can't be guaranteed this upcoming federal election ;D  :pray.