Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 751589 times)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #4635 on: January 05, 2020, 10:46:08 AM »
Pavlova?

ANZAC biscuits?

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4636 on: January 05, 2020, 01:49:46 PM »
Pavlova?

ANZAC biscuits?

Don’t eat either

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #4637 on: January 05, 2020, 03:42:02 PM »

Bette Midler has had a crack at ScoMo.

American singer Bette Midler pulled no punches as she lashed out at Mr Morrison early this morning in an extraordinary tweet that has already generated more than 19,000 likes and 5000 retweets.
“Pity the poor #Australians, their country ablaze, and their rotten @ScottMorrisonMP saying, “This is not the time to talk about Climate Change. We have to grow our economy." What an idiot. What good is an economy in an uninhabitable country? Lead, you f...wit!!”

Well if such an authority on world affairs like Bette Midler says so.....did she tweet that from her private jet? :shh
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 07:29:14 PM by Diocletian »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4638 on: January 05, 2020, 06:16:24 PM »
I thought she died a few years back

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4639 on: January 05, 2020, 07:30:05 PM »
Nah that was just her career... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #4640 on: January 05, 2020, 08:40:37 PM »
Bette Midler is imploding :lol

:cheers
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4641 on: January 05, 2020, 10:23:29 PM »
Quote from: Francois Jackson link=topic=12416.msg670623#msg670623
WP you have lost the plot of late. Worse than TA and he has been in power for 6 months. LOL

i bet if it was shorton or that other clown di natale you would be silent as usual.

1. Morrison won an election in May. He was PM before that, so he has been in power longer than 6 months. Get you facts right before you take one of your shots from your cheap seat.

2. If you can in anyway condone how he has handle this crisis, then it is you not me who has let the plot or you are clearly blinded by some sort of liberal bias. I was going to say you can't see the forest for the trees but seeing over 735k hectares have burnt that would be in terrible taste. But perhaps your mate ScottyFromMarketong will use it  >:(

In times of crisis leaders LEAD. Morrison has failed. Hosting a party at Kirribili NY's eve to watch fireworks aint leadership. hosting the cricketers and then rambling on how they would lift the firies spirits  :help, when he meets a firefighter in NSW and the firefighter says he hasn't eaten properly for 3 days and the PM responds by saying "better let you get back to it" (and he wasn't talking about eating either >:() This ain't leadership. I can point to 3 pollies who have shown leadership this week and your blessed Scotty isn't one of them.

3. If any leader from any party had handled things the same way, they would be copping it too.  If Shorten was PM we would have a national emergency fire service,  it was a policy BTW for situations like this. But keeping franking credits was far more important  >:(

4. The Greens deserve some of the whacks that are coming there way for their opposition to controlled forest clearing etc. That has contributed to this

5. If my cousin loses her home today which is highly likely based on what they got told last night, I will pass on your well wishes and concerns about my state of mind

So eloquently put.
But it's all ok these RWNJS will get to keep their franking credits...
It's like these people are brain washed by the marketing man in Smoko.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4642 on: January 05, 2020, 10:36:04 PM »

- Thomas Sowell

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4643 on: January 05, 2020, 10:50:33 PM »
The amount of political mileage people are getting out of the fires is the real disgrace
Sad that you think the PMs performance is unimportant. You only have to look at NZ to see how good a PM can be. Unfortunately our PM is on a par with the USA and the UK.

no chuck is right, sad how you think this is the real issue.

How about the positives? None?

They have learnt from black saturday and collectively have done very well IMO. Thats from Dan Andrews, CFA and all the way to the top of the LNP. I dont give a flying stuff who shakes whose hand.  Thats for the nut jobs who are still unhappy about losing yet another unlosable election after the great don. End result is what i care about, and while the wildlife disaster is very real and sad, i think they have done very well to spare mass lives. (fingers crossed that continues) Grass can grow back.

By the way im not sure how long you have been on here for, but i should then read comments how you were critical of the great brumby and nixon's efforts in Black Saturday. Surely i can find some comments about their lack of leadership??

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4644 on: January 05, 2020, 11:07:47 PM »
Quote from: Francois Jackson link=topic=12416.msg670623#msg670623
WP you have lost the plot of late. Worse than TA and he has been in power for 6 months. LOL

i bet if it was shorton or that other clown di natale you would be silent as usual.

1. Morrison won an election in May. He was PM before that, so he has been in power longer than 6 months. Get you facts right before you take one of your shots from your cheap seat.

2. If you can in anyway condone how he has handle this crisis, then it is you not me who has let the plot or you are clearly blinded by some sort of liberal bias. I was going to say you can't see the forest for the trees but seeing over 735k hectares have burnt that would be in terrible taste. But perhaps your mate ScottyFromMarketong will use it  >:(

In times of crisis leaders LEAD. Morrison has failed. Hosting a party at Kirribili NY's eve to watch fireworks aint leadership. hosting the cricketers and then rambling on how they would lift the firies spirits  :help, when he meets a firefighter in NSW and the firefighter says he hasn't eaten properly for 3 days and the PM responds by saying "better let you get back to it" (and he wasn't talking about eating either >:() This ain't leadership. I can point to 3 pollies who have shown leadership this week and your blessed Scotty isn't one of them.

3. If any leader from any party had handled things the same way, they would be copping it too.  If Shorten was PM we would have a national emergency fire service,  it was a policy BTW for situations like this. But keeping franking credits was far more important  >:(

4. The Greens deserve some of the whacks that are coming there way for their opposition to controlled forest clearing etc. That has contributed to this

5. If my cousin loses her home today which is highly likely based on what they got told last night, I will pass on your well wishes and concerns about my state of mind

I can point to 3 pollies who have shown leadership this week and your blessed Scotty isn't one of them.

please name them so we are all clear and on the same page.

i dont remember anyone thanking tony abbott for his work in the bushfires so he cant be one of the 3 :shh

i wish your cousin all the best, and i really hope that's not the case :thumbsup

If any leader from any party had handled things the same way, they would be copping it too.

really? Brumby copped it on here and his assistants also like the great Nixon. Nearly 200 died in Black Saturday, and their leadership was questioned so surely you questioned it also?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4645 on: January 07, 2020, 08:23:41 PM »

I can point to 3 pollies who have shown leadership this week and your blessed Scotty isn't one of them.

Gladys B (NSW Premier) despite (1) having no Ministerial support from the person who's portfolio covers this (he was holidaying in Europe) and (2) being thrown under the bus by Scotty from Marketing so Scotty could try and save himself from his ineptitude

Dan Andrews & Lisa Neville (Vic Emergency Services Ministers). Doing what needs to be done

Must add RFS Chief in NSW Fitzsimmons has been absolutely amazing since August when the fires started up there. Ditto Cmdr Crisp here in Victoria - toughest gigs in the nation right a the minute and they have been outstanding

i dont remember anyone thanking tony abbott for his work in the bushfires so he cant be one of the 3 :shh[/b]

He is no longer a pollie and I was only talking pollies but I applaud him for what he is doing. And applaud him more for doing it without seeking publicity about it

And just on low key - kudos to our GG for getting down to Gippsland and meeting people... no fanfare

i wish your cousin all the best, and i really hope that's not the case :thumbsup

Thank you. FWIW their house is still standing as is their small country town. Wind change meant for now the Corryong fire didn't / hasn't hit Granya yet. Granya is however, still under a watch and act warning

really? Brumby copped it on here and his assistants also like the great Nixon. Nearly 200 died in Black Saturday, and their leadership was questioned so surely you questioned it also?

Not sure there was much comment back then TBH. IMV Nixon was a poor Police Commissioner and her actions of going out to dinner that night  instead on being in the with all emergency services was on par with what Scotty from Marketing is doing now. As for Brumby - he was front square just like Gladys B & Dan Andrews.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4646 on: January 08, 2020, 01:56:27 PM »
Who let that denialist & sexist dill Craig Kelly from our government on British morning tele? What a trainwreck and an embarrassment to our country :facepalm. He picked on the wrong person in meteorologist Laura Tobin.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/climate-change/australians-stand-by-pommy-weather-girl-after-clash-with-craig-kelly/news-story/c3fdcb458ef76ef3c41c12e6508b3c29
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4647 on: January 08, 2020, 02:11:03 PM »
Morrison loves to peddle the line that action on climate change would be costly and damage the economy.

However, so far there's been a cost of $300m from over 5000 insurance claims (and that's not including the losses and damages from the past few days). That figure will balloon. No surprise if it passes a billion dollars. Insurance companies were already including climate change in their risk assessments. Everyone will pay more in higher premiums especially those in high fire risk areas.

Then add the cost of ADF deployment; mass evacuation, rescue and support for victims; financial support payments for volunteer firies; health costs yet to materialise from likely respiratory and other physical medical long-term problems plus mental illness (PTSD); the massive loss of income for local businesses and the tourism industry during its peak season; the long-term economic cost to these local communities (eg: there's estimates of a half a billion animals  :help having perished in these fires including masses of livestock), ... etc.

There's a far greater economic cost for inaction and denial.
Insurance costs from the bushfires now up to $700m and the total cost to economy is now being estimated to be up to $20b (in comparison the Black Saturday fires which affected Victoria cost the economy $4.5b). Notice the federal budget surplus promise has been jettisoned too.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4648 on: January 08, 2020, 03:48:14 PM »
Who let that denialist & sexist dill Craig Kelly from our government on British morning tele? What a trainwreck and an embarrassment to our country :facepalm. He picked on the wrong person in meteorologist Laura Tobin.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/climate-change/australians-stand-by-pommy-weather-girl-after-clash-with-craig-kelly/news-story/c3fdcb458ef76ef3c41c12e6508b3c29

it appears dopey Craig Kelly didn't seek clearance from the PM's Office  :o , somehow got approached and agreed to do it

Saw Littleproud (forrmer denialist, now a swinging believer) go to town to town on his colleague last night. Said when asked about Kelly's comments and I am para-phrasing "he's just a back bencher"  OUCH

Think they are not all on the same page  :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4649 on: January 11, 2020, 04:49:42 PM »

Gladys B (NSW Premier) despite (1) having no Ministerial support from the person who's portfolio covers this (he was holidaying in Europe) and (2) being thrown under the bus by Scotty from Marketing so Scotty could try and save himself from his ineptitude

Dan Andrews & Lisa Neville (Vic Emergency Services Ministers). Doing what needs to be done

Must add RFS Chief in NSW Fitzsimmons has been absolutely amazing since August when the fires started up there. Ditto Cmdr Crisp here in Victoria - toughest gigs in the nation right a the minute and they have been outstanding

i dont remember anyone thanking tony abbott for his work in the bushfires so he cant be one of the 3 :shh[/b]

He is no longer a pollie and I was only talking pollies but I applaud him for what he is doing. And applaud him more for doing it without seeking publicity about it

And just on low key - kudos to our GG for getting down to Gippsland and meeting people... no fanfare

Thank you. FWIW their house is still standing as is their small country town. Wind change meant for now the Corryong fire didn't / hasn't hit Granya yet. Granya is however, still under a watch and act warning

Not sure there was much comment back then TBH. IMV Nixon was a poor Police Commissioner and her actions of going out to dinner that night  instead on being in the with all emergency services was on par with what Scotty from Marketing is doing now. As for Brumby - he was front square just like Gladys B & Dan Andrews.

Convenient. Because it didnt suit the narrative back then im guessing, from those who have gone quiet :shh

Brumby? front and square. I think being front and square helps people feel better about the situation, but in brumbys case it didnt help those who died, and thats the end result at the end of the day. Its the systems, processes that leaders put in place which counts the most.

Facts. Just under 200 deaths because his government didnt know how to deal with it. Poorly led from the top, and he and his agencies had no clue how to prepare for such a disaster, and if anyone thinks otherwise they are kidding themselves. Its his ship and he didnt lead.

https://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2010/08/01/2970122.htm?site=ballarat

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/brumby-must-explain-fireprevention-delays-20090916-frly.html

Again, i ask as I dont remember many criticizing the brumby (leadership)/and rudd governments for lack climate action, for the same reasons they are now with the current government.  if so please post on here so we are consistent. MT is normally very vocal on anything the libs do, so surely he had some choice words to say about brumby and nixon.

Great news hope it stays like that. Weather outlook looks okay too.

Despite the negativity WP a lot has gone right compared to 10 years ago. Everywhere you read they put the fear of god to leave down everyones throats and so far its worked. state and federal have done well.
Can they get better? sure. less fire bugs, more backburning, climate action can all contribute. For some to say its all based on just climate lack of action is garbage IMO.