Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 766382 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #5055 on: June 08, 2020, 08:12:54 PM »
Mr Morrison has had the highest approval PM rating since 2008 or something

yes saw that Chucky, over 54%

No surprise to be honest
Following the experts' advice in a crisis and especially handing out money is popular  :shh.

ps. 12 years almost to the day since Rudd hit his Newspoll peak out of interest.

-------------------------------

Morrison's test will be when these 'stimulus' measures (which cost four-times what Rudd's did) have to be wound back after September and tough unpopular decisions will have to be made to make inroads into the massive budget deficit and almost trillion dollar debt we will be left with. Giving out money is easy but taking these 'entitlements' back even when financially right and prudent to do so has been a political nightmare in Australia especially over the past decade or so. That's when political popularity can quickly dissipate.

Unemployment for example is expected to remain high not only this year but throughout 2021. Halving the jobseeker payment after September and expecting people to live on just $40 a day as it was before the covid-19 crisis is going to be a huge issue with so many expected to still be out of a job. 

The reality is life doesn't snap back to the way it was before a crisis. The world will have permanently changed in some ways (eg: a more tech-based connected society, a more cash-less economy, more online shopping, etc...). Many bricks & mortar retailers won't return which means less retail jobs. It's a slow rebuild economically and people quickly become impatient (some already are on Morrison's own side and we haven't even started the road back). If Morrison thinks he can just stick to typical LNP-script and promise to offer even more tax cuts we can't afford later this year and somehow that will miraculously fix things including reducing the massive debt then he is kidding himself. Trickle down economics has never worked. There needs to be genuine reform of and across the economy which includes the LNP's older base and their over-generous middle-class welfare.

the difference is one has not wasted money on pathetic schemes.

Now that your back i take it by your post that scomo has done a great job, hence why your  anti scomo posts are back? Your bias of the man has no end.

I need to go back on your gfc comments on Rudd if you shared the same economic viewpoint when he was handing out money left right and centre on half arsed schemes.  :shh

I am curious what generous middle class welfare are you referring to?? Family tax? F Credits? Neg G?  if its the last 2 then i hate to break to you but its low income who also benefit, and besides the people have voted. End of story.
The economic conditions have completely changed from the last election when the LNP were against all reform and even greenfield agreements and electric cars  ::).

Australia is in recession for the first time in 29 years, we now have high unemployment and our debt levels which had already doubled under this federal government before 2020 have now gone off the charts. Everything should be on the table again. We will see what this attempted 'Accord 2.0' dishes up and whether the reactionaries on the LNP's backbench support it after a decade of being anti-everything regarding reform. Morrison will also need to watch his back with Ruby Dutton waiting in the wings for any chance to pounce :shh.

And yes, franking credits and negative gearing should be those middle class welfare policies that need reform. It isn't "aspirational" when we have an imputation system that allows people who don't work and don't pay taxes to get more from the same investment(s) than those who work and pay taxes while the government is deprived of company tax that is meant to be used for the benefit of all Australians; not for a tiny 4%'s benefit ::). And "low income" doesn't mean poor if you're asset rich :nopity. If you want to claim to be a "self-funded retiree" then sell or downsize the asset(s) and live off your own means instead of bludging off the taxpayer and crying poor while you keep all your assets as inheritance for your kids  ::). Explains why Hanson with her property portfolio was against changing the system and was going on about "death taxes" at the last election. Hello, pigs in the trough! The Age of Entitlement lives on ::).

It looks like we're going to get more of the same though. The LNP still love their middle class welfare like handing out more freebies in 25k to those who were going to renovate or buy a house anyway :facepalm. For the level of work a $150k-750k renovation or a new <$750k house requires, you need detailed planning and building permits which take months and even a year or more to organise and then obtain from a local council. So those already in the process and already have the money are ones mainly to benefit. At least if there had been social housing included a long-term legacy would be left from it. But nope they ignored social housing. So much for "not wasted money on pathetic schemes"  :shh.

More taxpayer-funded middle-class freebies for those who don't need it while those who actually need financial help go increasingly without. 

As for social housing well they can wait until the greens get in, or for some of them maybe stop blaming everyone for their mistakes and be grateful with what you get.
Let them eat cake instead, eh Frankie!
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5056 on: June 09, 2020, 02:44:31 PM »
i must go back and have a look at your posts during the gfc regarding social housing. I am guessing there werent many back then just like it would be difficult to locate many posts regarding the failed schemes of rudd.

FWIW i agree with you on franking credits, but where we differ is i believe it should be capped and not available for those over a certain income theshold.

recession if you can call it that will be none other than a pee in the ocean. Economy to be back bigger than ever come Q3.

Unemployment revised down to 8%, not as bad as first thought.  Scomo's work is of top quality. Country is in safe hands boys.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5057 on: June 09, 2020, 02:46:29 PM »
still struggle to understand how anyone is blaming the recession on anything other than the global downturn heightened by COVID

personal agendas I suppose

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #5058 on: June 09, 2020, 04:10:07 PM »
Well we currently live in a world where the same kind of halfwits fight imaginary Nazis by vandalising statues & monuments to people who fought and defeated the real live actual Nazis Chucky... so... :joker :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #5059 on: June 09, 2020, 05:22:15 PM »
still struggle to understand how anyone is blaming the recession on anything other than the global downturn heightened by COVID

personal agendas I suppose

Name names please. I would love to know who these effwits are.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5060 on: June 10, 2020, 03:03:38 PM »
i must go back and have a look at your posts during the gfc regarding social housing. I am guessing there werent many back then just like it would be difficult to locate many posts regarding the failed schemes of rudd.

FWIW i agree with you on franking credits, but where we differ is i believe it should be capped and not available for those over a certain income theshold.

recession if you can call it that will be none other than a pee in the ocean. Economy to be back bigger than ever come Q3.

Unemployment revised down to 8%, not as bad as first thought.  Scomo's work is of top quality. Country is in safe hands boys.
The GFC was 12 years ago. Yes as I said many times pink-batts was a stuff-up and I said at the time that I didn't personally need the $900 payment but the overall response by the Rudd government to the GFC worked and kept Australia out of recession.

For practical political purposes, yes just capping franking credits will have to be accepted by the likes of me. Basing it purely on income threshold is insufficient though IMO. Asset rich people will still rort it as they are doing now. The threshold should be based on both income and especially strict asset thresholds. The country can't afford a $6 billion and growing welfare bill and the loss of corporate tax revenue from these franking credits that benefits only a tiny 4%.

Frydenberg even said we're in recession cause he knows the June quarter will be the one that cops the major economic hit. He knew it was smarter politics to just admit it now. Ironically, if the federal LNP government hadn't been obsessed chasing some phony budget "surplus" for political reasons and not gone against the advice of expert economists during 2018-19 to instead stimulate the slowing economy and low wage growth then the March 2020 quarter may have even come in as positive despite the downturn. 

While everyone wants a quick "V"-shaped recovery, history shows that is never the case. Society's habits change (some people will now continue to work and shop from home) and consumers in general become more cautious with their spending habits. That will cause some businesses to close and jobs to go permanently. It takes a few years for society to adjust to new consumer habits and for the economy to recover. Especially as international borders will not fully open for a long while yet. The unemployment rate is often the last indicator to rise (why the April figures didn't seem too bad) and then fall. It's why there's calls to extend the jobkeeper program.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5061 on: June 11, 2020, 04:11:25 PM »

The GFC was 12 years ago. Yes as I said many times pink-batts was a stuff-up and I said at the time that I didn't personally need the $900 payment but the overall response by the Rudd government to the GFC worked and kept Australia out of recession.

For practical political purposes, yes just capping franking credits will have to be accepted by the likes of me. Basing it purely on income threshold is insufficient though IMO. Asset rich people will still rort it as they are doing now. The threshold should be based on both income and especially strict asset thresholds. The country can't afford a $6 billion and growing welfare bill and the loss of corporate tax revenue from these franking credits that benefits only a tiny 4%.

Frydenberg even said we're in recession cause he knows the June quarter will be the one that cops the major economic hit. He knew it was smarter politics to just admit it now. Ironically, if the federal LNP government hadn't been obsessed chasing some phony budget "surplus" for political reasons and not gone against the advice of expert economists during 2018-19 to instead stimulate the slowing economy and low wage growth then the March 2020 quarter may have even come in as positive despite the downturn. 

While everyone wants a quick "V"-shaped recovery, history shows that is never the case. Society's habits change (some people will now continue to work and shop from home) and consumers in general become more cautious with their spending habits. That will cause some businesses to close and jobs to go permanently. It takes a few years for society to adjust to new consumer habits and for the economy to recover. Especially as international borders will not fully open for a long while yet. The unemployment rate is often the last indicator to rise (why the April figures didn't seem too bad) and then fall. It's why there's calls to extend the jobkeeper program.
History is your friend in these times. The last 5 global recessions happen every 8-10 years and that is where we are now.

I absolutely see no different this time round apart from the fact its a Covid recession and nothing else unless you believe in conspiracy theories.

It wont be a V shaped recovery. In fact i see more like a W at least a steady approach to a recovery. There wont be much growth in the next 12-24 months. Market didnt do much in 2010 and 2011 as Europe had its issues with the PIIG countries.

Rudd had one neg quarter, and next one was slightly in front.  This recession is not cause by bad economic management. This time round i expect the next numbers to be worse in q2, but then a sharp reversal in q3, unless some more stuff heads want to go and protest to spread their poo.

I'm sure you praise Rudd but funny how you dont praise his predecessor, first for leaving him with a surplus, which no doubt you will deny, and secondly and most importantly for avoiding a recession himself throughout his tenure.  :shh

The country is in the safest pair of hands thats what i know. Can you imagine willy shorton in charge of this. Virgin would have got a bail out of 7 billion dollars, and thats just the start.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #5062 on: June 11, 2020, 04:16:31 PM »

History is your friend in these times.

Really? Pity Scotty from Marketing has NFI about our history as a country.

Now he is claiming that Australia has no history of slavery.

Really what an absolute ignorant prick this happy clapper PM is.

Read the attached article or just google blackbirding.

https://www.news.com.au/national/politics/scott-morrison-claims-no-slavery-in-australia-sparking-backlash/news-story/c71ef8e6173d82c831d7f826bf8e82a6

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5063 on: June 11, 2020, 04:21:20 PM »
The first slaves in Australia were white - aka "convicts".... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #5064 on: June 11, 2020, 04:30:36 PM »
The first slaves in Australia were white - aka "convicts"....

Nice deflection as always.

Doesn't change the fact the PM is either lying or he has no idea about our history of slavery. And in these times you would think he should know.

So which is it? Is he a liar or just plain dumb?

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5065 on: June 11, 2020, 04:36:44 PM »
who cares :banghead

lets focus on dans performance as premier and the protestor who has covid now

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #5066 on: June 11, 2020, 04:43:42 PM »
who cares

lets focus on dans performance as premier and the protestor who has covid now

It goes towards his competence as a PM and his ability to deal withe Black Lives Matter movement.

You have to admit his statement today at best was just plain dumb.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5067 on: June 11, 2020, 04:49:56 PM »

Doesn't change the fact the PM is either lying or he has no idea about our history of slavery. And in these times you would think he should know.

Stating the fact that the first slaves in Australia were white still backs up your assertion he was wrong to say that we never had slavery, so not sure how that qualities as a "deflection"..... :huh

- Thomas Sowell

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #5068 on: June 11, 2020, 04:53:03 PM »

Stating the fact that the first slaves in Australia were white still backs up your assertion he was wrong that we never had slavery, so not sure how that qualities as a "deflection".....

They were convicts not slaves. Or don't you know the difference.

You need to admit the your God of a PM got this one badly wrong.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5069 on: June 11, 2020, 05:24:06 PM »
He might be your Satan but he ain't my God.... :shh

..and the line between convicts & slaves has often been extremely blurred..anyone who really knew their history would already know that... :shh :shh

- Thomas Sowell