Author Topic: Pre Season form  (Read 4215 times)

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Pre Season form
« on: March 06, 2011, 01:56:44 AM »
You can't take anything out of our pre season games; when predicting the season.

We have not played a game with Riewoldt who kicked approx. 70% of our goals last season. You can't take that out of your side an expect much.

No Deledio (except for a half) and no Newman our general down back. You can't take the Hawthorn game as any indication. Probably our 3 most important players.

No-one should be stressing or getting excited and predicted this and that. The Pre Season stuff is absolute garbage there is no point of even having a scoreboard IMO.

Remember last season we pumped Geelong 2 weeks before losing by nearly a hundred points to Carlton in round 1.

Ge this crap over and done with and bring on the real stuff.
Go Tigers!

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Pre Season form
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 07:55:41 AM »
We are also missing Post and Griffiths. With Reiwoldt as the key forward, I think these 2 young athletic talls will be pretty handy as 2nd and 3rd tall forwards. Think they'll provide alot more than Miller

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 08:07:14 AM »
A Sudanese farm could provide for more than Miller.

If he gets named ahead of a fit post or griff I'll spew up.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 09:31:49 AM »
While I agree that pre season games are garbage indicators, it is still a relative indicator - after all every side could mount a similar argument about missing players and/or trying different tactics. The problem with the Hawthorn game was we looked like we went backwards when compared to last week - with a stronger team. Hope it's an anonomy because as someone else posted, no point practicing poo!
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 09:44:28 AM »

While we're at it can we please not play nahas, miller, jackson and tuck in Round 1 8)

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 11:58:43 AM »
It is an indicator that we are going to struggle against more talented teams but there are no surprises there. Agree generally can't read too much into preseason games.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 12:13:41 PM »
It is an indicator that we are going to struggle against more talented teams but there are no surprises there. Agree generally can't read too much into preseason games.

on the basis that we have 3 of our best 5 players OUT when up against them YES ::)
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 02:00:18 PM »

While we're at it can we please not play nahas, miller, jackson and tuck in Round 1 8)

spot on, although i think we need one of Jackson and Tuck playing, not both of them no way.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

tony_montana

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 02:56:26 PM »
surely people dont expect a magic turnaround in 2011? What happened at shepp the other night is a pretty realistic assessment of what will likely happen in the season proper - we've still got plenty of miles to put into the legs before we turn that corner from sh!thouse youngside to bonafide decent side.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 03:34:40 PM »
you have to wonder about what people actually expect dont you tony?

I can see a side that is starting to play in a way that forces errors from the opposition, something we have been good at being on the receiving end of, but not delivering in the past. Our ability to wear the pressure applied by the enemy is getting better.

while there was turnovers the other night there was also plenty of times we were able to put a chain of short kicks together that in the past would not have come off.

The game plan is starting to take shape. The pressure is improving. The skills are improving. The decision making is improving. They are still a way off that of the top sides, but if anyone knows of some magic trick that can improve these things enough, in such a short period of time, please contact Dimma ASAP otherwise we will just have to wait a realistic period of time for it to happen.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

10 FLAGS

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 04:48:16 PM »

we shouldnt play anyone who butchers the footy in r1. so I agreethat jackson and tuck and nahas miss out.

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 05:04:05 PM »
Tuck should still play.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 05:04:17 PM »
surely people dont expect a magic turnaround in 2011? What happened at shepp the other night is a pretty realistic assessment of what will likely happen in the season proper - we've still got plenty of miles to put into the legs before we turn that corner from poohouse youngside to bonafide decent side.

that's a bit shallow TM, is it not unreasonable to expect JR8 and a handful of others wouldn't make a difference...how do you reckon the ol hawks would have faced up with Max Bailey and wade skipper as key forwards rather than Buddy and Roughy :o
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 06:06:09 PM »
Tuck should still play.

:thumbsup

"shouldn't play anyone who butchers the footy"

We won't be able to field a side then, ramps.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 06:15:08 PM »

we shouldnt play anyone who butchers the footy in r1. so I agree that Jackson and tuck and nahas miss out.

The turnover stats from last year are interesting.

According to pro stats;

Jackson averaged 22.3 pos, 51% of which were contested and averaged 7.5 turnovers per game or once every three possesions.

Tuck averaged 25.7 pos (51% cont), 8.2 TOV per game (one in three )

that seems pretty bad to me.

but who is the benchmark?

Deledio?
25.3 pos (30% cont) 7.9 TOV (one in three)

Cotchin?
20.3 (64%cont  :bow) 7.6TOV one in 2.7 (3?)

Martin?
20.5 (56%cont) 6.7TOV - 1 in 3

Even Arron Davey who i regard as one of the better ball users in the comp turns it over..... once every three disposals.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI