Author Topic: Cousins wants to be part of Tigers revival  (Read 524 times)

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
Cousins wants to be part of Tigers revival
« on: June 26, 2011, 01:35:32 AM »
PREMIERSHIP midfielder Ben Cousins is keen to return to live in Melbourne so he can be part of Richmond's rise back up the AFL ladder.

The 2006 Brownlow medallist and former West Coast captain, who played his last two seasons with the Tigers, declared his loyalty to the yellow and black before yesterday's game at the MCG.

"I would love to get back to Melbourne. It's probably where I feel at home, to be honest," he said.

Cousins, whose partner is expecting a baby on Grand Final weekend, was in Richmond's rooms before the players ran out for the game against Melbourne.

He was later a guest at the Tigers' official lunch and then watched the game with president Gary March and other officials.

"I love following the Richmond boys and while they're on a really good ride and I think the next few years are going to be exciting, so I would like to be in Melbourne where I could keep my finger on the pulse of that," Cousins said.

"It's funny, it's probably where my heart is, particularly with the guys I have a close affinity with. When Dimma (coach Damien Hardwick) came to the club, I was lucky to be part of that first year.

"Although I'm not around the club on a day-to-day basis, I've seen the beginning of what he was trying to implement and the next three or four years, it will be easy for me to ride the wave with them.

"It's funny, I really didn't think I would watch and enjoy footy as much as I have now that I've finished. It has probably taken me the nine months to settle back into Perth. I really enjoyed my time in Melbourne and I do miss it.

"I've got a baby (on the way) with my girlfriend, so it's not just about me packing my bags and heading back here. But I am trying to get it past the missus, so with a bit of luck I'll get back over in the next 12 months."

Cousins, who looked fit enough to still be playing, accepted an invitation from East Perth coach Tony Micale, who was an assistant coach when the ace midfielder was at the Eagles, to help out younger players this season.

"Tony is a guy I've had a lot to do with, that was the connection. I'm just helping out some of the young guys coming up from the Colts trying to get a game. I've got myself into reasonable shape and actually joined in training a little bit and I've really enjoyed getting involved in footy again," he said.

Cousins said he watched every Richmond game and told how he arranged to visit his parents one day when he didn't have Fox Sport at his home.

He made himself an early lunch and settled on the couch, only to realise the game was 11 o'clock that night.

"I hadn't checked the TV guide. I cursed, spat the dummy and slammed the door. I really enjoy following the footy, so to get over here is great," he said.

Of the baby who's due on October 2, Cousins said: "I'm stoked, I can't wait. I'm looking forward to it. Yeah, I think I'm ready for the next step (in life) for me."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ben-cousins-wants-to-be-part-of-tigers-revival/story-e6frf9jf-1226081985921

Great to hear his still passionate for the club. Hopefully everything works out great for him in his life after struggling with drugs.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Cousins wants to be part of Tigers revival
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 01:41:12 AM »
Was great to see Benny in the rooms before the game, I still believe bringing Cousins to the club was more positive then negative.
Go Tigers!

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 10:19:59 AM »
Was great to see Benny in the rooms before the game, I still believe bringing Cousins to the club was more positive then negative.

Agreed, for a number of reasons  :)
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 11:10:47 AM »

Spot on.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 11:32:10 PM »
Give him a gig as a midfield coach. Keeps him involved with footy and the influence he had on some of our kids while he was at the club like Cotch was priceless. The kids really looked up to him. :thumbsup