Author Topic: Who'll get footy's wooden spoon? (Herald-Sun)  (Read 653 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Who'll get footy's wooden spoon? (Herald-Sun)
« on: March 17, 2011, 10:23:26 AM »
Who'll get footy's wooden spoon?

* Jon Anderson
    * March 16, 2011 12:37PM

THE Gold Coast may be warm favourites for football’s most unwanted “award” but are they shoo-ins many believe?

I speak of the wooden spoon, a poisoned chalice thought to be the domain of the Gold Coast Suns in their debut season.

And any betting agency you visit will have the Suns around the $2.50 mark, which is what's currently on offer at both TAB Sportsbet and Sportingbet Australia.

They firmed after beating obliterated by the Brisbane Lions last weekend, their northern rivals gathering a staggering 150-odd more possessions in a display that set off alarm bells.

But the same thing happened in Melbourne, when Richmond surrendered to Adelaide at Visy Park with some worrying signs for a Tiger team that really only had Trent Cotchin missing from its best 22.

The odds-makers haven't worried too much about Richmonds lapses over pre-season and still have them behind Gold Coast, Brisbane, Port Adelaide and West Coast in spoon markets.

I don't share that view.

In fact, I believe Damien Hardwick and his cubs over-achieved last season in winning six games, when three to four would have been more realistic.

And if they get injuries then look out, because the Tigers haven't received the concessions of a team like Melbourne and, as such, lack depth in their list.

So in Pick One today I'm nominating Richmond for this year's Wooden Spoon, with both the Tigers and Suns winning around four games.

DO YOU AGREE WITH ANDO?  OR DO YOU THINK HE'S LOST IT? JOIN HIM LIVE ONLINE AT 9am AND TELL HIM WHICH TEAM YOU THINK WILL BECOME THE FIRST TO FINISH 17th IN THE AFL.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/pick-one/story-e6frf9jf-1226022456279

Offline dizza

• Premiership Captain
Re: Who'll get footy's wooden spoon? (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 12:43:29 PM »
Predictions for the wooden spoon are probably a tad harsh. Gold Coast aren't going to set the world on fire in their first season, and Brisbane, West Coast and Port Adelaide are at least as bad if not worse than us, and on the way down, so I'd say maybe 14th is a reasonable prediction for where we'll finish.
Push up!

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 12:51:45 PM »
We could win the premiership and some journalists would still pick us for the spoon the next year.

Having said that, I agree we won't set the world on fire next year but I think dizza knows what he's talking about.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 08:03:29 PM »
You have strength off field and on and journos are too sh1tscared to write derogatory articles. Look at the Pies.

We get our crap together and those journos will change their tune and make us their new best friends. :help

Then we can tell them where to go. You talk the talk and walk the walk. :thumbsup