Author Topic: 2011 potential draftees thread  (Read 19415 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
2011 potential draftees thread
« on: March 20, 2011, 06:36:59 PM »
Early days I know to be talking about the next National draft but Stephen Coniglio from WA will be favourite to go No.1 (and to GWS). Played for Swan Districts in the senior WAFL Grand Final last year as a 16 year old and is racking up possessions early on this year in the WAFL.

Stephen Coniglio

Coniglio gathered a dozen possessions across half-back and through the middle of the ground in the second term. He backed up with another half-dozen in the third, despite spending half of the quarter on the bench. And he finished the game running with another dozen in the last.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/swan-districts-youngster-stephen-coniglios-class-shines-through/story-e6frg243-1226016675536

Stephen Coniglio started to get his hands on the ball, the Swans youngster winning the contest in the midfield and setting up several scoring opportunities.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/east-perth-upsets-swan-districts-in-wafl-round-1/story-e6frg1wu-1226024919499

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
Re: 2011 potential draftees thread
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 06:46:29 PM »
Will the draft order be the same as last season with the first 3 picks to GWS ect??

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 07:10:03 PM »
Cant say for sure but you would expect they would have the same deal as Gold Coast
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 12:04:03 AM »
Yep the draft will be similar to last year. The only difference is with 18 teams your 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc... round picks get pushed back a touch more. It's definitely not the year to finish mid-ladder (9th).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 12:17:28 AM »
Will we use thr tambling pick or hold onto it for another draft?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 01:43:24 AM »
Will we use thr tambling pick or hold onto it for another draft?
We are keeping hold of it for another year. Brisbane are the only club that will use their compensation pick in this year's November draft.

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum/index.php?topic=12031.msg226065#msg226065
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 02:25:05 PM »
Early days I know to be talking about the next National draft but Stephen Coniglio from WA will be favourite to go No.1 (and to GWS). Played for Swan Districts in the senior WAFL Grand Final last year as a 16 year old and is racking up possessions early on this year in the WAFL.

Stephen Coniglio

Coniglio gathered a dozen possessions across half-back and through the middle of the ground in the second term. He backed up with another half-dozen in the third, despite spending half of the quarter on the bench. And he finished the game running with another dozen in the last.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/swan-districts-youngster-stephen-coniglios-class-shines-through/story-e6frg243-1226016675536

Stephen Coniglio started to get his hands on the ball, the Swans youngster winning the contest in the midfield and setting up several scoring opportunities.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/east-perth-upsets-swan-districts-in-wafl-round-1/story-e6frg1wu-1226024919499
Coniglio is good mates with our Reece Conca.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/116339/default.aspx

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 05:03:26 PM »
There is a bloke playing for Bendigo in the VFL by the name of Justin Maddern who will make a very solid Key Forward at AFL level.

We should look at him on a rookie spot as a back up for Griffiths.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dom Tyson enhances top-10 draft hopes (afl)
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 07:41:17 PM »
Dom Tyson enhances top-10 draft hopes
By Jason Phelan
Tue 09 Aug, 2011

VIC METRO and Oakleigh Chargers midfielder Dom Tyson enhanced his credentials as a likely top-10 pick at the NAB AFL Draft with a brilliant performance for his representative school team at the weekend.

Tyson gathered 33 possessions and booted two goals for the Associated Grammar Schools of Victoria team against the Associated Public Schools' side in the annual match played at Haileybury College on Saturday.

Tyson's ability at the stoppages, where he managed seven clearances, was well complemented by his hard-running style that saw him finish with 17 handball receives.

Toby Greene, a teammate of Tyson's in the championship-winning Vic Metro side, was prolific for APS, which won by 47 points, with 31 disposals in a match that has become a good indicator of AFL potential.

"I think it's fantastic that these kids get the opportunity to play in these representative games and we often see them continue the good form they've shown at championships or TAC Cup level," AFL national talent manager Kevin Sheehan said.

"There's always a sprinkling of AFL scouts there having a good look at these young players in a different environment and playing alongside different teammates.

"Some things don't change though, with the very best players announcing themselves as Tyson and Greene did."

Both players had already elevated their standing in the eyes of AFL recruiters in the final game of the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships with 29 possessions each against Vic Country.   

Tyson and Greene will be snapped up early in the draft and players from both of Saturday's teams will join them in the AFL.

Last year's APS-AGS game produced 13 players that were drafted onto AFL lists with that group including first-round selections Matthew Watson (Carlton), Mitchell Wallis (Western Bulldogs), Ben Jacobs (Port Adelaide) and Patrick Karnezis (Brisbane Lions).

The game was a significant step in the right direction for AGS midfielder Elliott Kavanagh, who has been touted as having top-10 potential. The PEGS onballer has been stricken with hamstring injuries for most of this year, but showed enough on Saturday to suggest he'll be a player to watch as the Western Jets push toward the TAC Cup finals.

A scout from GWS was spotted in the crowd and he would have been pleased with what he saw from Tomas Bugg, who the club has already signed as part of its 17-year-old allocation.

The quick-handed left footer was instrumental in APS' win with 25 possessions and two goals.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/120582/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 03:33:42 AM »
Buntine is one of the kids that may be still around at our first pick (10-12)

Numbers game
By Jason Phelan
Wed 24 Aug, 2011

MATTHEW Buntine is blessed with a knack for numbers, but it's his footy smarts that will count at November's NAB AFL Draft.

The Dandenong Stingrays' defender is rated one of the best decision makers in the draft pool with his rare ability to read the play likely to see him picked inside the top 15.

Buntine will be happy wherever he gets drafted, but a TAC Cup finals campaign and finishing off year 12 at Beaconhills College come first.

"I enjoy the books and the numbers side of things. Numbers call to me a lot more than words do," Buntine says of a final year filled with as many maths subjects as he could choose.

"I just can't handle English sometimes. One answer is enough [in maths], but in English it seems like you can put whatever you want."

It's a philosophy that seems to translate into Buntine's football - he quickly recognises problems, sees the answer and executes it with minimal fuss.

"He's just one of those kids who can see the play unfolding in front of him and you can't teach that," Stingrays' region manager Mark Wheeler says.

"His ability to read the ball coming in and going out is just phenomenal.

"Some don't like the term, but he is the quarterback that can set you up. His delivery to an outside midfielder is excellent and he can hit up a target.

"If he sees a problem he'll roll off and go and fix it himself. He's been a great asset for us. I think he might catch a few people out [at AFL level]. People might say that he's lacking a step or two in his foot speed, but his courage in being able to play off his man makes up for that.

"We believe he's a top-10 draft pick. We've always said that, but everyone else is starting to believe us now."

The 188cm half-back flanker had a slow start to the year thanks to shin splints he admits he brought on himself by doing too much running on his own in preparation for this pivotal season.

It robbed him of a decent endurance base, but he was able to use the time off in the gym developing a physique that would allow him to withstand the rigours of AFL footy.

That only adds to Buntine's case for early selection at the draft, which includes co-captaining Vic Country at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, his captaincy of the Stingrays' and graduation from the AIS-AFL Academy.

Buntine also joined budding AFL stars Jack Ziebell and Jack Grimes when awarded the Academy's Ben Mitchell Medal, which was voted on by his Academy peers taking into account such personal qualities as courage, determination, passion, confidence and discipline.

Buntine was thrilled to be a part of the Academy program with a highlight coming when he and his teammates overcame Geelong's VFL team by a point in a curtain raiser at the MCG.

"To be in a team of 17 and 18-year-olds and to be able to mix it with a team containing some current AFL players was great," he says.

"I think it was about the 12th day we'd been together for the year and to beat a settled VFL side was phenomenal."

Buntine matched up against the much bigger Nathan Vardy for periods of that game and held his own.

At his height, Buntine won't be a key defender in the AFL, but his ability to play on taller opponents if required will be a comforting thought for his coach.

It's something Stingrays coach Graeme Yeats recently took advantage of when prospective No.1 draft pick Jonathon Patton, who stands at 197cm, threatened to break open the game when the Rays played Eastern in round 16.

"We just rolled Matty back there and he dominated with his ability to read the play," Wheeler says.

"He was smart enough to realise that if he lined up side by side against Patton he might have gotten pushed around a bit, so he just played in front of him and cut the ball off every time it came through."

Buntine has the skill-set you can build a team around, which will have Greater Western Sydney looking at him closely with one of its nine picks inside the first 15 at the draft.

Although the draft is only three months away, Buntine is still focused on building towards it rather than looking forward to the big day.

"This year it's obviously really important to do the best you can to get drafted," he says.

"That's been my childhood dream and when that starts to become a bit more realistic you've really got to drive yourself toward that goal.

"It's on the horizon. It's getting closer, but there's still a lot of hard work to do."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/121786/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2011 potential draftees thread - Brandon Ellis
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 12:35:04 PM »
Brandon Ellis may be one around at one of our first two picks....

Ellis springs
By Callum Twomey
Tue 18 Oct, 2011

IT IS hard to imagine there was a more interesting, likeable character at this month's NAB AFL Draft Combine than Brandon Ellis.

Ellis looks likely to be selected in November's NAB AFL Draft after a stunning 2011 season with the Calder Cannons in the TAC Cup. No wonder when we meet he carries the wide grin of a boy on the cusp of achieving something he has been working towards for much of his life.

Ellis' draft chances catapulted after a superb season. After 13 games for the Cannons as a bottom-age player in 2010 - including their TAC Cup premiership win - Ellis played 16 games in 2011.

A tough and skillful medium-sized defender, he had a standout NAB AFL Under-18 Championships with Vic Metro and was named in the All-Australian Under-18 team. And, at last week's NAB AFL Draft Combine, Ellis only strengthened his claims with some brilliant testing.

His results reflected a player confident and comfortable. His standing vertical jump of 70cm put him in the top 11 per cent of those tested, and his running vertical jump (83cm) rocketed him into the top 4 per cent. He ran 3.05 seconds over 20m, 8.14 seconds for the agility test, and scored 15.4 in the shuttle run, placing him in the top 4 per cent.

He's not particularly big - he stands 181 cm (about the size of Geelong's Joel Selwood) - but he's strong and well-built and would seem ready to play next year if selected.

However, it is not just his football and his athleticism that have impressed many recruiters. His character is just as impressive.

Full article at: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/125249/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 12:53:41 PM »
Elliott Kavanagh is another who could be around at pick 15. Will Hoskin-Elliot will probably be gone by our pick.

------------------------

Elliott Kavanagh

Will Hoskin-Elliott is a wingman who should go in the top 10, while Elliott Kavanagh might go in the top 20.

The Jets pair are opposites in personality - Hoskin-Elliot is quiet while Kavanagh is confident - and they had very different seasons in 2011.

Hoskin-Elliott is whippet-thin and styles himself on Stephen Hill, the Fremantle wingman: "We play similar: get the ball and run - try to take them on."

He said he learned during Vic Metro's third game in the under-18 championships, against Western Australia at Patersons Stadium, that he belonged among the best juniors.

"I got a fair bit of the footy. I thought I could actually play at that level," he said.

Vic Metro coach Rohan Welsh went a bit further, describing Hoskin-Elliott's effort that day as unbelievable.

"It was the coming of age of him as a player," he said. "It was clear he's going to be a quality footballer."

Welsh sent Hoskin-Elliott out with the aim of having 10 handball receives. He achieved that target. He also kicked a running goal from outside the arc, laid several tackles, showed strong hands in the air, and put his head over the ball when required.

It was a breakout game on all fronts.

Hoskin-Elliottt believes his best national championships game was the fifth-round match against Vic Country at Etihad Stadium. "Had a few kicks, a few handballs," he said.

When pressed he admitted: "I played real good. I had seven inside-50s, took a few running bounces, got a fair bit of the ball."

One of the main lessons Hoskin-Elliott took from the championships came in the match against South Australia in Adelaide, where he played on Nick Amato.

"Normally no one keeps up with me; he just ran with me the whole game," Hoskin-Elliott said

With an opponent matching him for speed and endurance, the Vic Metro star resolved to develop an inside game so that he had more avenues towards getting the footy.

Hoskin-Elliott thrived on returning to the Jets. "I'd just improved so much."

His match against the Murray Bushrangers at Wangaratta in July was among the best by any player during the TAC Cup season. He moved from his customary wing position into the middle and had 21 kicks including 14 effective.

"I felt like I could take the game on," he said.

Kavanagh began 2011 by straining a hamstring during the pre-season. The problem was a tendon that was not strong enough to withstand the pressure of football.

He was put on a strength and conditioning program and told to sit out of football while the tendon healed. He only returned to the field in June and even then he was allowed to play only limited match time.

His injury ruled him out of the Vic Metro squad.

Kavanagh returned to form with the Jets only late in the season. His best performance was against the Geelong Falcons at Skilled Stadium in the second-last round.

The next week he got a corked thigh against the Sandringham Dragons, forcing him out of the Jets' finals series - and leaving AFL scouts wondering just what to make of his abilities.

Kavanagh is on the football program at Penleigh and Essendon Grammar School, where he's doing year 12.

His father is a flight attendant, his mother is a hairdresser, and he's the younger of two boys. The family lives in Williamstown.

One of the main things to emerge from his interview with AFL.com.au is that his spirits remained high despite the fact that he missed most of the season through injury.

"I was positive about getting it right so it wouldn't happen again," he said.

When asked whether he ever got disheartened he admitted: "At times."

There were questions over Kavanagh when he returned to the Jets' line-up in June because his form initially was ordinary. He was playing only half a game while his body readjusted to match tempo.

"It was only in the last four or five games that I started to hit my stride again," he said.

"In the game against Geelong at Skilled Stadium, I was able to actually open up and have a bit more of a run - stride out and break lines."

Kavanagh's best performance at the draft combine was winning the clean hands event. It was a victory that confirmed his skills and renewed expectations that he would be a top-20 pick.

Shane Sexton, the Jets' regional manager, said both Hoskin-Elliott and Kavanagh are speed-endurance athletes who run and carry.

He said Hoskin-Elliott is also good overhead, with a willingness to back into packs, while Kavanagh is an excellent kick. "When Elliott's got the ball in his hand he's an exciting player."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/125378/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2011 potential draftees thread - Liam Sumner
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 03:37:23 AM »
Liam Sumner is another who is a chance of being still around at our first pick...

Is Liam Sumner the next Dale Thomas

by: Jay Clark
    October 24, 2011

WHEN Liam Sumner accelerates into space, the opposition's hopes of catching him evaporate quickly.

The dashing wingman is one of the most exhilarating talents in this year's national draft, an almost certain top-15 pick.

He has sizzling breakaway speed and can finish those bursts with precision passes inside 50m.

Along with his once shaggy blond hair, comparisons have been made with Magpie Dale Thomas.

While Sumner, 18, may not yet have as many aerial tricks as Thomas, it is no surprise the 182cm midfielder acknowledges he had modelled his game on the Pies superstar.

"We kind of play on the same strengths, I guess - both quick and agile, and he kind of plays the same positions," Sumner said.

"But just his work rate, I look at that and admire it.

"I love taking the game on. I love the feel of it, getting past (opponents) and the excitement of the whole thing."

In a draft that recruiters privately describe as the most shallow talent pool in a decade, the goalkicking line-breaker sparkles.

He surged into first-round calculations when he kicked six goals for Sandringham Dragons against Gippsland in April, then averaged 15 touches a game in the national championships.

"Whether it's that deft touch to himself, or his ability to keep his feet - for which he is well-known - he is almost cat-like with his balance," Dragons regional manager Ryan O'Connor said. "Sitting in the coach's box you just sort of look at each other, shake your head and say, 'Wow, look at that'."

But as eye-catching as Sumner's natural football instincts are, the keen surfer, originally from St Paul's, does not want to be pegged as flashy.

This season, which finished with a Dragons premiership, has been one of growth and sacrifice.

Sumner was rotated through the engine room to develop his inside game.

"I've been trying to get a lot more hard-ball gets in and under the contest," he said. About mid-season, the slick midfielder made his defensive pressure a priority, and was beginning to notch eight tackles a game.

The second efforts, smothers, blocks, and all-round grunt work were also starting to feature. Though the in-close buffeting he copped was tough on his light frame, the polished playmaker said he had become a more rounded player.

"I feel that I play good footy on the wing, if I can get into that space and run and take the game on," he said. "But I also like to go through the midfield and win my own ball.

"I guess there were some question marks against my name for a couple of things, but I feel as if I have knocked some of those off."

Sumner missed out on selection in the Dragons under-16 team, and was initially overlooked for this year's AIS/AFL squad.

"I had to prove myself," he said.

He persisted, showing there was substance beneath the showy game style, and made his mark this year during the AIS/AFL games against VFL teams.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/is-liam-sumner-the-next-dale-thomas/story-e6frf9jf-1226174569306

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 09:35:49 AM »
I'm looking forward to attending the club function pre draft night and hearing the inside word.

It will be good to hear some of the names of the players I'll become pretty good friends with in the next 12 months.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 09:47:46 AM »
I attend every pre draft function, it is fun! I have never seen you there TBR, will this be your first?