Author Topic: 2011 potential draftees thread  (Read 19423 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2011 potential draftees thread
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2011, 10:45:02 PM »
Todd Elton
Club: Dandenong Stingrays, Victoria
Date of birth: 29/04/93
Height: 197cm
Weight: 92kg
Draft range: 15-30

NAB AFL Draft Combine: Elton tested very well in the vertical leap drills, with his 89cm jump off his left foot putting him in the top 2 per cent at the combine. His time of 2.93s in the 20m sprint is exceptional for a player of his height. He scored 25 out of 30 in the Matthew Lloyd clean hands test, which placed him equal ninth overall.

Jason Phelan says: Elton's draft stocks waned a little on the back of an average showing at the national carnival, but it was later revealed he was struggling to overcome an infected spider bite on an elbow. He was used in the ruck and up forward at TAC Cup level, but he will benefit from becoming a permanent forward at an AFL club. Elton has an excellent burst speed that can give him separation from a defender. He's still learning how to use his big frame in a one-on-one situation, but showed a glimpse of what he's capable of with nine contested marks against Bendigo in the last round of the TAC Cup season.

Kevin Sheahan says: Elton was an AIS-AFL Academy member and Vic Country U18 representative. He is good below the knees and disposes of the ball effectively. Shows great character and leadership, averaged 12.6 disposals and six marks for the Stingrays this year. From Somerville FC.

In his own words: I am a tall, hard-working, mobile player with excellent marking skills. I'm very athletic with great skills below my knees.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/125523/default.aspx

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2011, 09:59:14 AM »
Todd Elton
Club: Dandenong Stingrays, Victoria
Date of birth: 29/04/93
Height: 197cm
Draft range: 15-30

NAB AFL Draft Combine: Elton tested very well in the vertical leap drills, with his 89cm jump off his left foot putting him in the top 2 per cent at the combine. His time of 2.93s in the 20m sprint is exceptional for a player of his height. He scored 25 out of 30 in the Matthew Lloyd clean hands test, which placed him equal ninth overall.

Jason Phelan says: Elton's draft stocks waned a little on the back of an average showing at the national carnival, but it was later revealed he was struggling to overcome an infected spider bite on an elbow. He was used in the ruck and up forward at TAC Cup level, but he will benefit from becoming a permanent forward at an AFL club. Elton has an excellent burst speed that can give him separation from a defender. He's still learning how to use his big frame in a one-on-one situation, but showed a glimpse of what he's capable of with nine contested marks against Bendigo in the last round of the TAC Cup season.

Kevin Sheahan says: Elton was an AIS-AFL Academy member and Vic Country U18 representative. He is good below the knees and disposes of the ball effectively. Shows great character and leadership, averaged 12.6 disposals and six marks for the Stingrays this year. From Somerville FC.

In his own words: I am a tall, hard-working, mobile player with excellent marking skills. I'm very athletic with great skills below my knees.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/125523/default.aspx

Strikes me as a utility we could throw at either end of the ground. Could be developed as a third tall forward or even the height we are looking for on the backline. At 92kg is pretty much near ready size wise.

Could be worth looking at with our second pick.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2011 potential draftees thread - Alex Forster
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2011, 02:28:43 PM »
Another kid who will be available around our second pick (#26):

Alex Forster
Club: Norwood, South Australia
Date of birth: 14/07/93
Height: 189cm
Weight: 77kg
Draft range: 20-30

NAB AFL Draft Combine: Forster's time of 8.21s in the agility test was the highlight of his combine. That time ranked him inside the top 17 per cent of participants. His score of 24 out of 30 in the clean hands test ranked him equal 13th overall.

Jason Phelan says: Forster is a real 'Mr. Fixit', but is by no means a jack-of-all-trades and master of none. He had an outstanding championship for SA playing predominantly off a half-back flank, where he displayed the ability to shut down his opponent while still providing rebound with his clean disposal by foot a feature. He made his SANFL senior debut late in the season and kept his spot in the Redlegs' line-up right through their finals campaign.

Kevin Sheahan says: Forster averaged 15.4 disposals (84.4 per cent efficiency) at the U18 championships, winning All-Australian honours. He has clean hands, and always seems to be composed.

In his own words: I'm a tall, running defender who uses the ball well on both sides of my body. I'm a good reader of the play and make good decisions.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/125524/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2011 potential draftees thread - Adam Tomlinson
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2011, 10:04:47 PM »
Adam Tomlinson is a KPP who could be available around our first pick....

Hurley burly
By Callum Twomey
Wed 02 Nov, 2011

ADAM Tomlinson has had a very busy year but - thanks mainly to a cool demeanour and organised approach  - has managed.

In 2011, the promising key-position prospect played with the Oakleigh Chargers in the TAC Cup, Vic Metro in the NAB AFL Under-18s Championships, Trinity College in the AGSV competition and the AIS-AFL Academy Squad.

For a player with a lesser focus, it would be considered a daunting campaign.

But Tomlinson, despite his concentration being tested and durability stretched, took it in his stride, which (for a player standing 194cm and weighing 90 kg) is a big one.

He grew into one of the best tall prospects in this year's NAB AFL Draft, an athletic competitor capable of playing as a forward or defender. He has impressed clubs with his attitude, his character and his intent on making it as an AFL player.

"I take my footy very seriously and have my whole life," Tomlinson says. "I don’t see any game as a chance to muck around."

Read more and the full article at: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/125737/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2011 potential draftees thread - Toby Greene
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 11:56:54 AM »
And another kid who may be still around our first pick...

Toby Greene
Club: Oakleigh Chargers, Victoria
Date of birth: 25/09/93
Height: 181cm
Weight: 76kg
Draft range: 7-14

NAB AFL Draft Combine: Greene ranked just inside the top 20 per cent in the running vertical jump and showed off his excellent endurance with a 15.2 beep test and a time of 10:27 in the 3km time trial. His score of 24 out of 30 in the clean hands test ranked equal 13th at the combine.

Jason Phelan says: Greene is an inside midfielder who thrives in a contested situation. He reads the play well, has the strength to stand in a tackle and dish the ball off and is invariably a high possession winner. He's not a speedster, but he buys himself time and space with his quick hands that often put his opponent on the wrong foot. Greene is a highly effective run and carry player who should adapt to the pace of AFL football quickly. TAC Cup Team of the Year member.

Kevin Sheahan says: Greene is a great ball winner and decision-maker. He has evasive and defensive skills and endurance. Averaged 24.5 touches at the U18 titles, was All-Australian and Vic Metro MVP. From Wesley College.

In his own words: I'm an inside midfielder who likes to try and create space and break lines.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/125531/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2011 potential draftees thread - Mitchell Grigg
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2011, 01:15:05 PM »
Mitchell Grigg
Club: Norwood, South Australia
Date of birth: 02/01/93
Height: 182cm
Weight: 82kg
Draft range: 20-35

NAB AFL Draft Combine: Endurance is one of Grigg's stronger points, so it came as no surprise to see him register a 14.13 beep test and a 10:29 3km time trial at the combine.

Jason Phelan says: Grigg is a strongly built midfielder who can lay claim to being one of the elite kicks of this draft class. What he lacks in speed off the mark he makes up for with the length and accuracy he can achieve off his left boot. He's good in traffic and generally makes good decisions under pressure. Grigg made his senior SANFL debut late in the season and played in the Redlegs' preliminary final against the Eagles.

Kevin Sheahan says: Grigg is very good in close with his hands and uses the ball effectively from contested situations. He also has an extremely accurate left foot. Averaged 24.4 possessions at 69 per cent efficiency at NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, earning All-Australian honours. From Athelstone FC.

In his own words: I'm an inside midfielder who gets the ball out to runners, but who can also get on the receiving side to use my kicking ability.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/125725/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2011 potential draftees thread - Alex Woodward
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2011, 02:10:14 AM »
Is Alex 'Shorty' Woodward the next Luke Ball?

by: Jay Clark
    November 05,

ALEX Woodward has copped his fair share of big hits this season, but none as potentially devastating as the one he received in the TAC Cup grand final.

The tough midfielder was helping power Sandringham Dragons to a thrilling comeback win when he was collected high midway through the final quarter. The knock threatened to end his day and derail the team's flag tilt as it trailed at the time.

But the teen who won more clearances than anyone else in the TAC Cup this season isn't regarded as one of the best ball-winners in Victoria for no reason.

When given the option of a breather, the skipper didn't want let his teammates down.

"I just tried to gather the ball but it didn't bounce my way and another player came diving in," Woodward said. "I've watched it on the replay but I hardly remember it.

"I pushed the trainers away. I didn't want to have a bar of it (going off).

"I wanted to do everything I could for the team and I wasn't much use to my teammates off the field."

As it happened, Woodward, who averaged 15 contested possessions and seven clearances this season, saw the Dragons to their second premiership.

It proved a fitting end to an excellent year for the hard-working midfielder, who finished second in the TAC Cup best and fairest.

But another chapter awaits should Woodward be selected, most probably in the mid to late part, of this month's draft.

Though short at 179cm, Woodward makes up for his lack of height with his ferocious attack on the ball and his willingness to throw himself into the contest.

His endeavour was on show at the national championships when the Vic Metro onballer averaged 10 contested possessions a game, putting him in elite company.

The 18-year-old said his hard approach to winning the ball had its roots in something his father told him as a junior.

"My father really nailed it into me at a young age just to attack the footy as hard as I can because I'm a short player," Woodward said. "On the ground is where I do my best work, trying to get first possession."

Burrowing under the packs, Woodward inflicts most of his damage by hand, and also showed flexibility in attack.

For a small midfielder, Woodward is strong overhead, and impressed at the draft camp, recording a sizzling 20m sprint time (2.89sec), which ranked equal sixth among the speedsters.

It smashed any perception the rugged youngster lacked pace.

The gifted tennis player models his game on Collingwood ball magnet Luke Ball.

"I really like his attack on the footy, his desperation for the contest, and his appetite to get the footy first for his teammates is something I really aspire to," Woodward said.

"I've always had the mindset that no one is going to get the footy for you; you've got to get in first, and give it to your teammates first."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/is-alex-shorty-woodward-the-next-luke-ball/story-fnau1fjg-1226186182216

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2011, 04:32:57 AM »
Months of adversity harden Kerridge's resolve to reach top flight

by: Jay Clark
    November 06, 2011

EVEN when the weeks began to turn into months on the sidelines, Sam Kerridge showed that his football fortitude was unbreakable.

The hardened inside midfielder was dealt a nightmare blow last season when a nasty case of osteitis pubis outed him for all except four TAC Cup games.

He had moved from Mildura to Bendigo as a 16-year-old to play footy, but spent most of last year in the rehab room.

But there is good reason why Bendigo Pioneers officials liken his determination to the Selwoods, a revered name in club history.

After a torturous summer reconditioning his body, the powerful onballer this year completed one of the most spirited comebacks of the TAC Cup season when his strong finish to the year shored up his position as likely second or third round pick in this month's draft.

He said the injury tested every fibre of his AFL dream, but he was glad the time out only steeled his resolve to make it.

"To have something like that pretty much wipe out your whole season is definitely devastating," Kerridge said.

"But the best thing I could do was just do everything that was going to help me come back stronger and I was able to do that with all the support of the people around me."

In a team that struggled to win only one game this season, Kerridge, 18, won many admirers with his powerful takes away from the clearances.

The 187cm onballer has a burst of speed and a penetrating kick that make him a weapon in the midfield, while his strong-bodied marking has underlined his flexibility up forward.

He prides himself on winning the contested ball, and competed admirably against men when he was promoted to Bendigo's VFL team for three games.

"Just being able to break away and get that first give or first clearance to really help the team push forward," he said.

"I love winning the hard ball and being in and under the contest."

The AIS/AFL graduate's stocks rose further at the draft camp when Kerridge recorded personal-best times across the board. He excelled in the endurance events, ranking equal fourth in the beep test and 3km time trial.

Pioneers regional manager Ray Byrne likened Kerridge's toughness and commitment to West Coast tagger Scott Selwood.

"Sam reminds me a lot of how the youngest Selwood played when he was here - their work ethic and determination is very similar," Byrne said.

"He's been a terrific leader for us at the club, this year and last year, when he had the injuries.

"He fought through them and this year he has really come home with a wet sail.

"His work ethic and attitude around the club is fantastic. He would not be out of place at a league club."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/months-of-adversity-harden-kerridges-resolve-to-reach-top-flight/story-e6frf9jf-1226186602883

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2011 potential draftees thread - Shane Kersten
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2011, 09:59:28 AM »
Shane Kersten
Club: South Fremantle, Western Australia
Date of birth: 15/3/93
Height: 191cm
Draft range: 13-25

NAB AFL Draft Combine: Kersten's score of 25 out of 30 in the Matthew Lloyd clean hands test ranked him inside the top 10 at the combine. He showed good speed with a 2.98s in the 20m sprint, but was unable to take part in endurance testing due to injury.

Jason Phelan says: Kersten narrowly missed out on being taken by GWS as one of the club's 17-year-olds last year. He missed plenty of footy in 2011, including the national championships, with a severe elbow injury but the tall forward finished the season strongly with South Fremantle. He followed up bags of six and seven goals with a five-goal haul in the Bulldogs colts' Grand Final win against Claremont. His strong finish and elite kicking have seen his draft stocks rise considerably.

Kevin Sheahan says: Kersten is a tall forward who is strong on the lead and sound overhead. He is an accurate kick for goal and has represented WA at under-16 level in 2009 and under-18 level in 2010, kicking 15 goals in five matches. Made his senior debut in the WAFL last year.

In his own words: I'm a long-kicking forward who takes his opportunities in front of goal.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/125797/default.aspx
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 02:29:46 AM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2011 potential draftees thread - Jack Newnes
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2011, 02:32:15 AM »
Study and gym for Jack Newnes until draft

by: Sam Edmund
    November 09, 2011

ASKED if he is feeling nervous, anxious or excited, Jack Newnes replies: "Pretty much all three."

Such is life as an AFL draft prospect in 2011.

The 18-year-old Northern Knights graduate is counting down the days until November 24. But while most of his contemporaries have VCE exams to worry about, Newnes is forced to find other distractions.

"I was a young Year 12 last year. I was doing a TAFE course this year at RMIT in advertising ... just so I had something else and wasn't going to go mad thinking about footy," Newnes said.

"I've been going to the gym because I need to put a bit of size on and strengthen up because if it actually does happen and I do get drafted you're expected to be fit from day one."

Part-time work and catching up with mates is also part of the distraction plan ahead of his career-defining day.

"I've been doing a fair bit and that can keep your mind off it, but it's always in the back of your head. You just don't want to let it get to you and stress you out too much," Newnes said.

"I try to keep myself calm and not stress too much about it. Obviously you think about it a fair bit during the day.

"You don't want to think about it as the be-all and end-all. I don't think I'm certain to get drafted, I'm hoping it will happen."

The versatile midfielder averaged 22.8 disposals (8.6 contested), 6.2 marks and three tackles in his 11 appearances with the Knights in the TAC Cup this year.

A composed player who uses the ball efficiently and provides run for his team, Newnes can also go forward or back when required.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/study-and-gym-for-jack-newnes-until-draft/story-fnau1fjg-1226189373706

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2011, 05:41:57 PM »
Jordan Lockyer
Club: West Perth, Western Australia
Date of birth: 15/6/93
Height: 192cm
Weight: 86kg
Draft range: 20-35

NAB AFL Draft Combine: Lockyer impressed in vertical leap testing, ranking in the top 3 per cent off his left foot, while he clocked a blazing 2.89s in the 20m sprint. He displayed good repeat endurance with a time of 24.68s in the repeat sprints and finished off an excellent combine with an equal-second ranking in the Nathan Buckley kicking test.

Jason Phelan says: The versatile tall defender had his championships interrupted when he suffered a bad concussion against Vic Metro, but he finished the season strongly. He broke through for his senior WAFL debut with West Perth and didn't look out of place in two games. In a draft pool a little short on quality talls, Lockyer stands out as one of the better key/third tall prospects later in the first round.

Kevin Sheahan says: Averaged 75 per cent effectiveness at the national U18 championships. The son of former Eagle Andrew Lockyer., Jordan is a versatile type who reads the game well and uses the ball effectively.

In his own words: I'm a hard-working player who loves a challenge and does everything I can to benefit the team.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/125803/default.aspx

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2011, 08:45:54 PM »
could see being taken with our second pick if he is available - unless he is just a suck hole.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2011, 11:40:09 PM »
Freo may grab him with one of their two top 20 picks to avoid the go home factor of selecting a Victorian kid.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2011, 09:20:20 PM »
Makes sense, MT
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2011 potential draftees thread - Brad McKenzie
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2011, 11:52:32 AM »
Brad McKenzie
Club: Sturt, South Australia
Date of birth: 29/5/93
Height: 188cm
Weight: 76kg
Draft range: 9-18

NAB AFL Draft Combine: McKenzie's elite agility shone through at the combine, where he registered a time of 8.12s, which ranked him in the top 8 per cent of players tested.

Jason Phelan says: McKenzie's powerful and pinpoint left boot makes him one of the more sought after midfielders in this draft. His ability to pick apart a defence and deliver the ball to the advantage of his forwards is first class and he complements that with his willingness to go after the hard ball. He has some work to do on his endurance, but that will come with an AFL pre-season or two under his belt. He made his senior SANFL debut with Sturt this season and played three games.

Kevin Sheahan says: McKenzie is a classy left-footer who averaged 16.4 disposals and three tackles at the U18 championships. He is a good mark, and brings others into the game with his composure and creativity. From Marryatville HS.

In his own words: I'm a tall midfielder who can play off half-back.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/125817/default.aspx