Author Topic: Live chat with assistant coach Danny Daly - Wed 1pm  (Read 966 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Live chat with assistant coach Danny Daly - Wed 1pm
« on: March 22, 2011, 04:38:43 PM »
Chat with Assistant Coach Danny Daly

With the season only a few hours away, Assistant Coach Danny Daly will be online at richmondfc.com.au taking your questions live.

The chat has been embedded below, remember to return at 1pm AEDT, Wednesday, March 23 to chat live with Danny.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/theclub/dannydalychat/tabid/16923/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Live chat with assistant coach Danny Daly - Wed 1pm
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 03:57:10 PM »
Hey everyone, Danny is just about to join us.

Training has just finished at the club and the sun is shining, bring on the footy!

Alright, Danny is here, lets get started

[Comment From Timothy: ]
Hey Danny, I was at the Aus. Day training session and what caught my eye was the "unit" that is Ben Griffiths. Perfect set of hands and a beautiful shot at goal that never seem to miss(Ins.&Outs.50). Does the club see Ben as the number one FF/CHF prospect along side Jack and is he right to go round one with his Shoulder????

Ben won't be right for Round 1, he is still recovering from his shoulder reconstruction. Hopefully he should be right by round 5 or round 6. We see Ben along with Jack and Ty forming a part of our future forward line.

[Comment From chad: ]
where will Nahas primarily play this year? midfield? or forward?

Robbie's had a terrific pre-season, and with the interchange bench being reduced to three we see Robby as being a player who will play predominently as a forward but also in the midfield and inject some pace through there.

[Comment From Nick: ]
Will Riewoldt be underdone for tomorrow nights match?

Jack hasn't had the match time that we had hoped leading into round 1, but in saying that he hasn't missed a beat on the training track and his last three weeks he has done extra training in order to get to a level that will get him through the whole of the game tomorrow night.

[Comment From Lynn: ]
Do you reckon the boys can put that really bad effort against Adalaide behind them and go out hard and fast in season proper Thursday night

I think you'll find the boys will be a lot more competitive than they were in the Adelaide game, in saying that the Adelaide game was a game where 1) we tried a new interchange sub/bench whereas Adelaide played 6 on the bench, so that hampered us somewhat. We also tried a few different positional and structural things leading in to round 1, which looking back hopefully will help us and you will see a different Richmond tomorrow night.

[Comment From Alan from Altona: ]
Hello Daniel, was wondering why we don't hear more from you on the radio or tv, i'd like to hear from someone who hasn't played the game and see how they've got there and how they speak?

With a number of Assistant coaches, there is basically a rotation of who does what so you will find that generally speaking pre-game I do happen to be on the radio doing an interview every couple of weeks.

[Comment From Guest: ]
Is their any reason why the club stopped recruiting Indigenous players

The club doesnt have a philosophy of not recruiting indigenous players, if anything our recruiting staff spend a lot of time searching for indigenous players throughout the Northern Territory and Australia. Unfortunately this year any players that were of interest were grabbed before we had the opportunity to take them, but moving forward I think you'll see that there will be further indigenous players drafted.

Is Miller likely to play round 1

At this stage we haven't finalised match committee however he is in the mix, he's had a terrific pre-season. Check out our side on the website from 5pm today

[Comment From Deano: ]
Hi Danny - thanks for taking the time to talk. From your knowledge of opposition teams, I would be interested to get an opinion on the number of games to win (pass mark) and where their lists are at to ours

In terms of wins (pass mark) for ourselves which I assume is what you're asking, we havent set any figure as such - its more about the continued improvement of our young list, which is the youngest in the AFL (besides Gold Coast, even though we have less 100 game players) and getting 20+ more games into our younger players.

Jake was suspended round 22 for rough conduct and will miss Round 1, much to my displeasure.

[Comment From ZED: ]
Hi danny just wondering where andrew browne is at? i think we need to give him more time in the snr side?

Very good question, Andrew is a young developing ruckman and as we know ruckman do take time, Brendon Lade has been working closely with Andew in making him stronger, and being able to cope with the demands of AFL football. I think you will find that Andrew will play some senior games this year, but we see him as a long term project.

[Comment From steve: ]
Hi how does the club see the best use of the new sub rule

Another good question! The new sub rule is still up in the air, and many clubs like ourselves won't know the best way to work the sub until a 2-3 rounds into the season. I think you'll find that most clubs will use a player who can play forward/back/mid and I think you'll find that most clubs generally won't use their sub till late in the 3rd qtr or in the last quarter.

[Comment From Sergio: ]
Has the team made some changes to the game plan that couldn't break Adelaides zone in the last game?

As answered earlier, we did as a match committee try a few different things in that game which is predominently what the NAB Challenge series is about, so the last two weeks since that game has been spent on really focussing on how we can beat sides really pressing on us which most will be doing. And I think you'll find that hopefuly tomorrow night you'll see a different approach from the Adelaide game.

[Comment From pablo: ]
just how good could troy taylor be if he gets his head right ?

First of all, Troy's mental state is not of a concern to the football club. Troy has the capabilities to be a very good player for us in the future. Over the past month he has really got back to training hard and has gotten over a couple of injury concerns he had and you'll find that he will be in our senior side in the coming weeks.

[Comment From Tucker: ]
Hi Danny, When do you think Mitch Farmer will be ready again? Ankle?

Mitch hurt his ankle v Hawthorn in Shepparton. He has started full training again and we envisage that he will be available for selection by round 3.

[Comment From Disco: ]
Hi Danny, how is Axel looking at the moment?

Looking good. He's had a terrific pre-season, hasnt missed a beat and for all Tigers supporters it will be great to see him out there tomorrow night, hopefully in the form that he showed previously.

[Comment From Glenn: ]
Hi Danny. When do you think the playing list will start to understand the concept of run and spread when we gain possession? A consistent observation is the players stop working hard to make position and keep moving when we gain possession...

Very good question Glenn. This is an area that we really have been working on in the last month, after our game against Hawthorn we thought that we weren't spreading hard enough from the contest exactly as you pointed out so we have been doing a lot of training with our midfielders and high forwards in making this a priority.

[Comment From Greg: ]
Why hasn't Gourdis been playing in the NAB Challenge series?

David has had a few hiccups over the pre-season injury wise, and hasnt been able to put a lot of footy together over a consistent period of time. He's at a stage now where he has joined in the main group again and should hopefully be in the mix over the coming weeks.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Live chat with assistant coach Danny Daly - Wed 1pm
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 03:58:46 PM »
[Comment From chad: ]
Where do you see Deledio playing this year, half back?

For all you dreamteamers, Brett will definitely play across halfback again as with his season last year. Most of our run comes from our halfback line, so you'll definitely find that he'll play there most of the year with an occasional run on ball.

[Comment From cmorrall: ]
hi danny, what is the vibe around the group with tomorrow nights match. im just hopeful its a close match

The vibe around the ME Bank Centre from players, coaches and staff is very high and positive at the moment. We have just moved into our new facilities, our membership has just gone over 40k the boys are ready to put in good show tomorrow night.

[Comment From Wez: ]
Vickery's contested marking seems to have improved quite a bit in the off season. Have you been working on this area of his game in particular or is it all just starting to click?

We identified with Ty as soon as the 2010 season finished that he would predominently be a forward, so we have spent a lot of time with him over the last 6 months doing a lot of competitive one-on-one marking work and a lot of bag jumping which has seen him improve dramatically in this area. We hope that all this training comes to the fore tomorrow night

[Comment From Pat: ]
Looking forward to tomorrow night at the G! What do you think the players will do differently, physically and mentally to get a much more positive result from the previous opening rounds? Also will Bashir Houli take to the field?

I think you'll find the boys will be a lot different tomorrow, than round 1 last year. Where it was the first game for us as coaches and the players under our coaching and everything was new, 12 months down the track the boys have a better understanding of our game plan and will be a lot more competitive. Bachar will play his first game for the club.

[Comment From Steve: ]
I know most people here want to know about the playing list but i am also iterested in how is the coaching group progressing because i think you guys have a massive influence on the outcome of this potential great side in years to come

The coaching group has been together now for 12 months, and have grown as the players have grown together. We have some very successful players cum coaches i.e: Lepper, Ladey and one of Richmond's favourite sons Cambo. We also have Nick Stevens who has joined us doing some part time development work, which will also add some expereince to the group.

[Comment From Jarrod: ]
Hows Jamie O'Rielly coming along? does he look like getting a game time soon?

Jamie has been hampered by injuries over the past 5 weeks, so has been in our rehab group. He is probably still a good month away from playing any form of football.

[Comment From Bill: ]
Who have you got in mind to play in key back positions?

We have a number of options, namely McGuane, Rance, Thursfield and Dave Astbury who will all be vying for 2 possibly 3 positions each week.

[Comment From Matt: ]
Hi Danny, Carlton's defence, which has never been a strength of theirs, looks as though it will be further weakened tomorrow night through injury and suspension. I think we really need to exploit this. Has this been a focus in the lead up / preparations / planning for the game...?

It has been a focus, but the biggest focus will be our ability to match or better Carlton's midfield to enable us to get the ball inside 50 enough times to put some scoreboard pressure on the Blues, and to give our forwards an opportnuity to take advantage of any potential weakness (if any).

[Comment From James: ]
Hey Dan. Who from the clubs point of view are the fringe players that have to step in up this year?

Im not too sure what you classify as fringe players from a development point of view, and young players coming through the likes of Batchelor, Helbig, Derickx, Concs, Contin, Webberley etc are the players who we really need to step up and put pressure on the experienced players to make us a better side.

danny from the outside it looks like the club is moving, united, in the same direction all the time. as an assistant coach, what is your perspective on this and is healthy debate fostered and encouaged amonst the playes and coaching group? Are the younger guys in the leadership group stepping up ?

The off-season has been a very positive one for the footy club with the new ME Bank Centre, new sponsors in Bingle and Jeep and also the Fighting Tiger Fund dinner last week, the club has been taking great strides off the field and with the admin. Our leadership group is a very young group consisting of Cotchy, Lids, Riewoldt, who are all under 23 years of age and we have some younger players like Astbury, Martin who are also developing in their leadership with augers will for the future of this football club.

Is Jake King still going to be playing forward? Do we have a plan for using some small forwards and goal sneaks at the feet of those big guys?

Jake finished off the year last year playing the last 6 games as a forward and kicked 11 goals. He will definitely be playing as a forward this year. He is a super competitior, who is hard at the football and the type of player that you need in your forward line.

[Comment From Jay: ]
Ben Nason - Where is he at? After a good year last year he seems to have had a very quiet pre-season.

Ben is another who had some pre-season injury being a groin which kept him out of training for a few weeks, over the last 3 weeks he has really come back into the form that he showed last year and is another that is a chance of selection for tomorrow nights game.

[Comment From Jay: ]
What position do you see as Jayden Post's best and how close is he to getting a game? He seems to have fallen off the radar a bit.

Posty is another who is coming off a hamstring injury. Posty with the introduction of the new interchange system will predominently play forward/ruck and we look for him to again take steps forward in 2011.

[Comment From Jonesracing82: ]
is the "X-Man" (Derickx) being considered as a forward option as well is in the ruck in the futre?

Yes he is, Tom has the ability to take a strong mark down forward and will be used forward as ruck unfortunately he is injured at the minute and will be back in the mix shortly.

[Comment From Orlando from Mt elizaOrlando from Mt eliza: ]
I heard our kicking comes from you as skills coach. Is it true you have an extreemly high ball drop.

Brendon Lade was in charge of our kicking but as most supporters could see from some of our kicking last year we have replaced him with Nick Stevens who has already had a significant impact on the group (tongue in cheek).

[Comment From steve: ]
Danny who on the list do you expect to be a real find for us this year?

I think you'll find our top 3 picks in the draft will play a signficant part in season 2011. Conca, Batchelor and Helbig will all be considered for selection tonight and we're all confident that they will help form a resurgent Tiger outfit for the upcoming season.

[Comment From HENDO: ]
which opposition team do you see as improving the most this year?

I think you'll find that most teams like ourselves will improve in some shape or form, injuries and form play a big part in sides' improvement. In terms of other sides, Melbourne have been developing over 4 years so should be one of the big improvers for this season.

[Comment From D-rod: ]
Danny, how has the new facilities at the ME Bank Centre helped out with training and recovery?

The new ME Bank Centre is state of the art and now one of the best in the AFL, if not the best. The facilities for the players in terms of rehab and recovery are as good as any, and again play a big part in the players' ability to back up each week which will ultimately provide supporters with better performances.

Big thank you to Danny as we wrap up today, hope you learnt a thing or two. Stay tuned to richmondfc.com.au for the team at 5pm. Go Tiges!

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/danny%20daly%20chat/tabid/16923/default.aspx